Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
qaz

ABBA thread

Recommended Posts

yes - must have been an aussie thing LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

 Dance while the Music still goes on 

 

So underrated.

One of Agnetha's finest moments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, back when we were discussing the different characters from their songs we forgot the unashamed gold diggers: Tracy and Daisy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My list... today and trying to keep some balance between the different eras:

Ring Ring

Another Town Another Train

Disillusion 

Waterloo

Dance (While the Music Still Goes On)

Honey Honey 

Gonna Sing You My Lovesong

Mamma Mia

S.O.S.

I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do

I've Been Waiting for You

So Long

Fernando

When I Kissed the Teacher

Dancing Queen

Knowing Me Knowing You

Money Money Money 

Eagle

Take a Chance on Me

One Man One Woman 

The Name of the Game

Hole in Your Soul

Summer Night City 

As Good as New

Voulez Vous

Angeleyes

Does Your Mother Know

If It Wasn't for the Nights

Lovelight

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!

Super Trouper

The Winner Takes It All

On and On and On

Me and I

Our Last Summer

The Piper

The Visitors

Head Over Heels

When All Is Said and Done

One of Us

Like an Angel Passing Through My Room

The Day Before You Came

I Am the City

Just Like That

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

Thing is they don't have a perfect album. They are all flawed.

Sure. But that´s part of their charm.

Besides, they released one album a year.. so the one or the other subpar track must be excused... others wait for YEARS to release a new record.. #soon 😆  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now I'm listening to "The Visitors". It's such an atmospheric and unique record which is perfect for this time of the year.

So many great songs on one album. I think the title track is one of their most overlooked works. Such a haunting production from the arrangement to the melody and vocal production. I get shivers every time I listen to it. "Two For The Price Of One" often gets ridiculed, but in the context of the album it works. It's a pretty dark and moody record overall, so it's "the small relief in between" for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Illuminati said:

Right now I'm listening to "The Visitors". It's such an atmospheric and unique record which is perfect for this time of the year.

So many great songs on one album. I think the title track is one of their most overlooked works. Such a haunting production from the arrangement to the melody and vocal production. I get shivers every time I listen to it. "Two For The Price Of One" often gets ridiculed, but in the context of the album it works. It's a pretty dark and moody record overall, so it's "the small relief in between" for me.

Yes.  Abba generally always have a somewhat "comical song"  on each album and I cherish them all.  

The Visitors song is well before it's time.  The vocal production seemed to use "autotune"  ?   before anyone else.  If we can call it that.  It had a scary like quality that I had not heard before and it matched the scariness of the disturbing, frightening and sad lyrics.   Such a fantastic album. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Yes.  Abba generally always have a somewhat "comical song"  on each album and I cherish them all.  

The Visitors song is well before it's time.  The vocal production seemed to use "autotune"  ?   before anyone else.  If we can call it that.  It had a scary like quality that I had not heard before and it matched the scariness of the disturbing, frightening and sad lyrics.   Such a fantastic album. 

It's not my favorite album of theirs but from an objective perspective it’s their boldest effort. The song subjects are much darker compared to their previous work but nonetheless timeless (in true ABBA fashion).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Yes.  Abba generally always have a somewhat "comical song"  on each album and I cherish them all.  

The Visitors song is well before it's time.  The vocal production seemed to use "autotune"  ?   before anyone else.  If we can call it that.  It had a scary like quality that I had not heard before and it matched the scariness of the disturbing, frightening and sad lyrics.   Such a fantastic album. 

I always wondered what kind of effect it is. I guess it's something like a vocoder which creates that "metallic" (?) sound.
It's a very powerful opener.

Talking about openers... I have to mention the majestic "Eagle". I mean, what a glorious piece of music. At the early stages of becoming a fan, I only had the GOLD and MORE GOLD compilations. Later on, I bought their original albums on vinyl. Can you imagine my reaction when I first listened to the full version of "Eagle"? Of course the MORE GOLD version is even marked as an "edit" on the back cover, but I didn't pay attention to that. The short version omits one of the best parts of the song, that solo is LIFE.

The next surprise was the uncut version of "The Name Of The Game" where another full verse magically appeared. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, MarcoMartins said:

It's not my favorite album of theirs but from an objective perspective it’s their boldest effort. The song subjects are much darker compared to their previous work but nonetheless timeless (in true ABBA fashion).

It is not my personal favourite of theirs as well but is up there.   One thing I love about Abba (  as I do about Madonna )  is the melodies are always there - even in experimental or different type of songs.  So many artists feel that releasing tuneless dark songs are edgy but they are pretty forgettable and never hold up.  Abba and Madonna create all types of music and style but always have the one essential ingredient - great memorable melodies.  That is so hard to do and always should be applauded and loved.  

5 hours ago, Illuminati said:

I always wondered what kind of effect it is. I guess it's something like a vocoder which creates that "metallic" (?) sound.
It's a very powerful opener.

Talking about openers... I have to mention the majestic "Eagle". I mean, what a glorious piece of music. At the early stages of becoming a fan, I only had the GOLD and MORE GOLD compilations. Later on, I bought their original albums on vinyl. Can you imagine my reaction when I first listened to the full version of "Eagle"? Of course the MORE GOLD version is even marked as an "edit" on the back cover, but I didn't pay attention to that. The short version omits one of the best parts of the song, that solo is LIFE.

The next surprise was the uncut version of "The Name Of The Game" where another full verse magically appeared. 

My brother was listening to Eagle the other day that was on the radio,  and commented on how awful that they shortened it.  We both grew up with the original "  Abba the Album"  - we had it on cassette originally !  The introduction of Eagle is magnificent and way before it's time.  I often marvel at just how incredible and beautiful the solo music and riffs ( so to speak )  are.  The name of the game is another classic too.  That was such an unusual song and I think the lyrics and how the song is presented is fantastic.   Not sure about the vocal effect used on the Visitors but it was so different and kind of frightening at the time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Hasta Manana" was the first single I ever owned.  Our neighbour (whom I absolutely idolised) took me to Myer at Ringwood in Melbourne to buy it and I was so excited!  "So Long" was the B-side (my 3.5 year old ears didn't like that one at all!).  It's the first pop song I can remember being aware of.  I don't remember being aware of "Fernando", but I definitely knew "Dancing Queen" - I remember seeing the video on TV between shows (Australia TV shows would often play a music video clip being two shows, rather than string together 6-8 30-second advertisements).  Of course, the record companies were paying for this promotion, but it was still a great way to see videos.  They stopped doing it around 1982, unfortunately.

ABBA are, hands down, my favourite group of all time and my second favourite artist after Madonna.  The were indescribably massive in Australia until after their tour - they never had a #1 single ever again after that, although they had half a dozen more Top 10 singles between late 1977 and late 1980.  Their music resonates to this day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Carta said:

"Hasta Manana" was the first single I ever owned.  Our neighbour (whom I absolutely idolised) took me to Myer at Ringwood in Melbourne to buy it and I was so excited!  "So Long" was the B-side (my 3.5 year old ears didn't like that one at all!).  It's the first pop song I can remember being aware of.  I don't remember being aware of "Fernando", but I definitely knew "Dancing Queen" - I remember seeing the video on TV between shows (Australia TV shows would often play a music video clip being two shows, rather than string together 6-8 30-second advertisements).  Of course, the record companies were paying for this promotion, but it was still a great way to see videos.  They stopped doing it around 1982, unfortunately.

ABBA are, hands down, my favourite group of all time and my second favourite artist after Madonna.  The were indescribably massive in Australia until after their tour - they never had a #1 single ever again after that, although they had half a dozen more Top 10 singles between late 1977 and late 1980.  Their music resonates to this day. 

Same here. Madonna is my favourite artist who reaches me with her music completely in every way. . Abba is a close second.  Both create beautiful, contrasting and perfect music that never fail to both entertain me and emotionally reach me.  Both also create perfection in joyful brilliant songs and thoughtful poignant ballads. I love so many artists with a passion but none come close to Madonna and Abba. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a massive confession to make.  Even though I absolutely adore ABBA, I don't think I've ever listened to one of their studio albums in full...!  I love their singles and over the years, I've discovered various gems via word of mouth, but I honestly can't remember ever listening to a studio album from start to finish.  About 18 years ago, a good friend mentioned "Like An Angel..." and was absolutely mortified that I didn't know it (since he knew how much I loved them).  It was pre-iTunes, so I needed to track down a copy via other means.  I loved it!  I own all of the deluxe editions of their albums, but I just haven't listened to them.

I'm sorry, everyone...forgive me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Carta said:

I have a massive confession to make.  Even though I absolutely adore ABBA, I don't think I've ever listened to one of their studio albums in full...!  I love their singles and over the years, I've discovered various gems via word of mouth, but I honestly can't remember ever listening to a studio album from start to finish.  About 18 years ago, a good friend mentioned "Like An Angel..." and was absolutely mortified that I didn't know it (since he knew how much I loved them).  It was pre-iTunes, so I needed to track down a copy via other means.  I loved it!  I own all of the deluxe editions of their albums, but I just haven't listened to them.

I'm sorry, everyone...forgive me...

Same here, :lol:  I'm all ABBA GOLD + a few others songs here and there, but I've never listened to one of their studio album from start to finish.
Sorry guys !! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Magician said:

 

Never knew Bea Arthur was on Malcolm in the Middle.  Love her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Crux  I know you don't like this song but I heard it in the car yesterday and really enjoyed it.  It is very dramatic and the music and lyrics are great.  Scary possessed marionette puppets come to life ! 

 

 

This Performance is pretty amazing too.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:lol:That song scares the life out of me, Jan.  Sounds like a horror movie. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Crux said:

:lol:That song scares the life out of me, Jan.  Sounds like a horror movie. lol

  Well,   I fear ventriloquist dolls.  All because of Fantasy Island !  Watched an episode as a child and the doll turned evil and tried to take over the body of the lady that was working her !   I was terrified and my mother had to comfort me because I was so scared.  :rotfl:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2018 at 10:54 PM, Carta said:

I have a massive confession to make.  Even though I absolutely adore ABBA, I don't think I've ever listened to one of their studio albums in full...!  I love their singles and over the years, I've discovered various gems via word of mouth, but I honestly can't remember ever listening to a studio album from start to finish.  About 18 years ago, a good friend mentioned "Like An Angel..." and was absolutely mortified that I didn't know it (since he knew how much I loved them).  It was pre-iTunes, so I needed to track down a copy via other means.  I loved it!  I own all of the deluxe editions of their albums, but I just haven't listened to them.

I'm sorry, everyone...forgive me...

 

On 11/8/2018 at 3:35 AM, runa said:

Same here, :lol:  I'm all ABBA GOLD + a few others songs here and there, but I've never listened to one of their studio album from start to finish.
Sorry guys !! 

Now Carta and Runa.   Off you both go and listen to Arrival,  Super Trouper,  Abba the Album, The Visitors and Voulez -Vous  in full.  You won't regret it at all.    I won't lead either of you astray ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

  Well,   I fear ventriloquist dolls.  All because of Fantasy Island !  Watched an episode as a child and the doll turned evil and tried to take over the body of the lady that was working her !   I was terrified and my mother had to comfort me because I was so scared.  :rotfl:

 

:lmao: That is sooo creepy. I hate anything to do with dolls, dummies and robots etc. Did you ever see that horrible doll who kept attacking Karen Black in Trilogy of Terror?

Looks quite funny now but imagine a child watching that...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Crux said:

:lmao: That is sooo creepy. I hate anything to do with dolls and dummies and robots etc. Did you ever see that horrible doll who kept attacking Karen Black in Trilogy of Terror?

Looks quite funny now but imagine a child watching that...

 

 

Would have scared the life out of me as a child ! The noises it makes too :nervous:

The Fembots on Bionic Woman terrified me too. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Would have scared the life out of me as a child ! The noises it makes too :nervous:

The Fembots on Bionic Woman terrified me too. 

 

Omg YES!  Them too.The Fembots gave me nightmares. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Crux said:

Omg YES!  Them too.The Fembots gave me nightmares. lol

We should make a video with all of them we have been remembering and put Abba's " I'm a Marionette " as the soundtrack to it !  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

We should make a video with all of them we have been remembering and put Abba's " I'm a Marionette " as the soundtrack to it !  

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30 October 2018 at 12:48 AM, Je5u5 said:

My list... today and trying to keep some balance between the different eras:

Ring Ring

Another Town Another Train

Disillusion 

Waterloo

Dance (While the Music Still Goes On)

Honey Honey 

Gonna Sing You My Lovesong

Mamma Mia

S.O.S.

I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do

I've Been Waiting for You

So Long

Fernando

When I Kissed the Teacher

Dancing Queen

Knowing Me Knowing You

Money Money Money 

Eagle

Take a Chance on Me

One Man One Woman 

The Name of the Game

Hole in Your Soul

Summer Night City 

As Good as New

Voulez Vous

Angeleyes

Does Your Mother Know

If It Wasn't for the Nights

Lovelight

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!

Super Trouper

The Winner Takes It All

On and On and On

Me and I

Our Last Summer

The Piper

The Visitors

Head Over Heels

When All Is Said and Done

One of Us

Like an Angel Passing Through My Room

The Day Before You Came

I Am the City

Just Like That

Love your list @Je5u5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Love your list @Je5u5

Thanks.

I love I'm a Marionette in both incarnations btw even if I'm not the biggest fan of Thank You for the Music.

What about the proto Hole in Your Soul "Get On the Carrousel"?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

Thanks.

I love I'm a Marionette in both incarnations btw even if I'm not the biggest fan of Thank You for the Music.

What about the proto Hole in Your Soul "Get On the Carrousel"?

 

Frida rocked this blond wig by the way, she really pulled it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×