MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
qaz

ABBA thread

1 hour ago, jonski43 said:

Does this count?

Always makes me laugh watching the movie and you can hear the chants 'We want EBBA' in strong Ozzie accents!¬†ūüėĀ

Yes, it was clear when The Visitors came out, they'd lost their spark. One of Us was big but then Head Over Heels stalled and that was it in the UK. The last two singles underperformed although the First Ten Years did well I think.

Still, great to see they are now revered as they should be. This will happen to Madonna one day!

It definitely counts ! 

I agree with you a lot here.  I think Rebel Heart for example will become an absolute classic album in years to come.  So many great songs on it that were not known enough.  Madonna's music is already loved around the world but her later records that did not get the attention they deserved will be fully acknowledged and loved properly in the future.  The Visitors is now getting the complete respect and love it always deserved. 

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

The Visitors is now getting the complete respect and love it always deserved. 

How could it not? It gave us When All Is Said and Done, which is one of the most unique songs about heartbreak ever made. It details the sorrow and pain Frida endured, not only for herself, but for all of those who had been through a separation, yet it has such an uplifting nature. She looks back on her marriage with gratitude.

1 hour ago, MarcoMartins said:

How could it not? It gave us When All Is Said and Done, which is one of the most unique songs about heartbreak ever made. It details the sorrow and pain Frida endured, not only for herself, but for all of those who had been through a separation, yet it has such an uplifting nature. She looks back on her marriage with gratitude.

True - plus The Visitors gave us Slipping Through My Fingers which is just so exquisitely melancholy 

And the wonderful 'I let the music speak' giving a hint of Benny and Bjorn's musical leanings.

I love 'head over heels' too! Such an underrated single with a great video.

Oh and 'like an angel'. I still can't believe M covered this song. All thanks to William orbit!

And also gave us the title track. Who knew cold war and political oppression could serve as the inspiration for brilliant synth pop? 

#RespectForTheVisitors

Loving all the above posts about the Visitors.  I remember getting this album and adoring it.  It was an awful feeling to know ( at the time )  it was such a massive flop.  Not that I ever let other's views or charts cloud my opinions but the songs and themes on this album were amazing and reading everywhere that Abba was now over was a sad time as an Abba fan.  Have always loved this album with a passion though and that has never changed. 

The Visitors and Soldiers - dealing with political fear so brilliantly and with such great songs.  The title song was so different to anything out there at the time. Soldiers is still one of the best anti oppression/anti War songs ever recorded.  Head over Heels is a great descriptive and melodic song about a career woman and When all is said and done is another fantastic break up song.  Done with so much dignity and class and the lyrics are wonderful.  Slipping through my fingers is a beautiful and sentimental take on seeing a child grow up.  LIke an Angel passing through my room is lovely and I still feel proud that Madonna has been the only artist that has done a cover version of an Abba song that I love as much as the original.  I let the Music Speak is lovely and One of Us is another beautiful song and even "Two for the price of one is unique.   Abba does weird dating song.  The lyrics are so crazy and fun. 

The pre internet days... I was 1 year old when The Visitors came out so it obviously didn't register in my mind at the time, but as my mom had the US pressing of "Greatest Hits" in cassette, which was very easy for me to manipulate and play as a kid in the hi fi system in the living room I fell in love with their music and as I grew up I started hunting for their other stuff.

By the late 80s I already had "Arrival", "The Album", "Greatest Hits Vol. 2", "Gracias Por la M√ļsica", "Super Trouper" and "La Magia de ABBA", a regional (and brilliant) compilation that covered their hits between "Waterloo" and "Super Trouper". I had also seen at friends' houses "ABBA" and "Voulez Vous" so I was aware of their existence (I had the bad habit of checking which records people had hehe).

So for all purposes ABBA's discography ended with the 'Super Trouper" era. It must have been around 1988 when I came across the Venezuelan pressing of "The Singles Vol 1"...

Abba+The+Singles+Vol+1+-+Sealed-358664.jpg

The artwork in the back featured the covers of all their stuff available from that record label. Imagine how I felt when I saw the last picture after spending all my life so far trying to track down their music and thinking I was almost done by then:

image-358664b.jpg

"What is this???". Considering "The Day Before You Came" was the only song I didn't know I incorrectly assumed it was from that album and started looking for it with no luck.

Some years later "Gold" came along and it had "One of Us". I think the booklet specifically mentions the song is from "The Visitors". So another song to make me hunger for the full album. I don't think we got "More ABBA Gold" until much later so by the time I finally got my hands in the album -on CD and sometime around 1997- it was basically a full album of new songs for me but it took me about 10 years between knowing about it and getting to experience it.

It's exciting to think we all might get to experience a bit of that again #soon isn't it?

23 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Loving all the above posts about the Visitors.  I remember getting this album and adoring it.  It was an awful feeling to know ( at the time )  it was such a massive flop.  Not that I ever let other's views or charts cloud my opinions but the songs and themes on this album were amazing and reading everywhere that Abba was now over was a sad time as an Abba fan.  Have always loved this album with a passion though and that has never changed. 

The Visitors and Soldiers - dealing with political fear so brilliantly and with such great songs.  The title song was so different to anything out there at the time. Soldiers is still one of the best anti oppression/anti War songs ever recorded.  Head over Heels is a great descriptive and melodic song about a career woman and When all is said and done is another fantastic break up song.  Done with so much dignity and class and the lyrics are wonderful.  Slipping through my fingers is a beautiful and sentimental take on seeing a child grow up.  LIke an Angel passing through my room is lovely and I still feel proud that Madonna has been the only artist that has done a cover version of an Abba song that I love as much as the original.  I let the Music Speak is lovely and One of Us is another beautiful song and even "Two for the price of one is unique.   Abba does weird dating song.  The lyrics are so crazy and fun. 

Jazzy, it didn¬īt feel like a massive flop in Europe back then, maybe it was different in Australia or the States. One Of Us was quite a big single, although less successful than the Super Trouper singles.

But then, in the 80s, it became uncool to like Abba.. maybe it was good for them to stop at that point.

Anyway, I saw a TV special yesterday on German television and that was really interesting, god I love their music and I always get so emotional.. ūüėÜūüėÜ

Another question, hard to answer I know but here it is:

Do you have a favourite? Agnetha or Frida?

I really don¬īt have a favourite, they are both so brilliant and unique, and sound so good together.

It must have been hard for Frida when at the end of Abba, all the singles chosen had Agnetha on lead...on the other hand, during Arrival all the leads were by Frida..

3 hours ago, Musicinferno said:

I really don¬īt have a favourite, they are both so brilliant and unique, and sound so good together.

It must have been hard for Frida when at the end of Abba, all the singles chosen had Agnetha on lead...on the other hand, during Arrival all the leads were by Frida..

Anni-Frid is the smart choice here ūüėé Cooler, groovier and with a quality to her voice that lends itself to more varied styles than the other A.

But I love them both anyway.

5 hours ago, Musicinferno said:

I can't remember who said it, but a DJ said you became a man when you realised Frida was the sexier one. That's so true, lol!

As for the new song, Bjorn or Benny said recently it wouldn't be ready for December but perhaps they're just trying to put people off pestering them?

10 hours ago, Musicinferno said:

Jazzy, it didn¬īt feel like a massive flop in Europe back then, maybe it was different in Australia or the States. One Of Us was quite a big single, although less successful than the Super Trouper singles.

But then, in the 80s, it became uncool to like Abba.. maybe it was good for them to stop at that point.

Anyway, I saw a TV special yesterday on German television and that was really interesting, god I love their music and I always get so emotional.. ūüėÜūüėÜ

Musicinferno,  it unfortunately become completely "daggy"  to admit to liking Abba in Australia as their career went on and that was highlighted all the time.   I always still did and always proudly said it but it really was awful how Abba was chucked out on mass to ridicule.  People did not even review their music later on. 

Love the fact that now not only are people proudly saying they loved them but the younger generation are embracing them fully and people are openly admitting that they were pop music heaven and before their time.  

10 hours ago, Musicinferno said:

I can honestly say I don't have a favourite.  Both have beautiful voices that sound incredible solo or in harmony.  Both also had distinct different personalities and performance styles.  When I was a child,  I think I loved Anna the most ( although still loving Frida ) but as I matured,  could not separate them.  When I look at their mainly solo songs ie The winner takes it all,  Disillusion, I wonder -  they both are magnificent, expressive and beautiful singers.  I love the songs too when one of the girls had the verses and they joined for the chorus and the songs where they both sang in harmony together for the entire songs.    Any way the specific vocal structures of each song worked perfectly. 

1 hour ago, MarcoMartins said:

The first Mamma Mia film is what introduced me to them. Ever since then, I've become emotionally attached to their music. I love them almost as much as Madonna. They get the bronze medal in my ranking of favorite artists of all-time. I even love the songs featuring the men's vocals, particularly Why Did It Have To Be Me? and Honey, Honey.

Glad too that you went and discovered the original Abba versions. :thumbsup: The first fiilm was fun but was filled with below average singers - except for the lovely Amanda Seyfried. Nothing beats the Abba originals. 

5 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Glad too that you went and discovered the original Abba versions. :thumbsup: The first fiilm was fun but was filled with below average singers - except for the lovely Amanda Seyfried. Nothing beats the Abba originals. 

What are your fave ABBA songs Jan?

The most listened to radio station here always plays abba songs, even those that aren't very known. I hear their songs every time I listen to the radio, which isn't even that much. We also get a lot of stories and extra info about the group. Clearly some of the radio hosts are HUGE fans. (and whenever they play Cher covering it, they make sure to the listener that they're not big fans :chuckle:) In their top 2000 songs of all time, Dancing Queen is always in the top three, along with Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and either Purple rain or billie jean.

On 10/28/2018 at 11:40 AM, Nikki said:

In their top 2000 songs of all time, Dancing Queen is always in the top three

Dancing Queen is without a shadow of doubt a classic but it’s highly overrated. Same with Mamma Mia. They’re both great songs but far from their best efforts.

2 hours ago, MarcoMartins said:

Dancing Queen is without a shadow of doubt a classic but it’s highly overrated. Same with Mamma Mia. They’re both great songs but far from their best efforts.

Of course it¬īs a matter of taste and Dancing Queen is probably highly overplayed but I would say it¬īs one of the best pop songs ever and also one of their finest. Benny and Bj√∂rn were asked in one interview which songs they considered their best and they said Dancing Queen and The Winner Takes It All, I tend to agree, although I have a special love for One Man, One Woman.

I too think that Arrival / The Album was their peak (love later albums too though).

2 hours ago, Musicinferno said:

Of course it¬īs a matter of taste and Dancing Queen is probably highly overplayed but I would say it¬īs one of the best pop songs ever and also one of their finest. Benny and Bj√∂rn were asked in one interview which songs they considered their best and they said Dancing Queen and The Winner Takes It All, I tend to agree, although I have a special love for One Man, One Woman.

I too think that Arrival / The Album was their peak (love later albums too though).

Thing is they don't have a perfect album. They are all flawed.

I was shocked several years ago to realize that some countries got this as the artwork for the first greatest hits compilation.  WTF? 

https://goo.gl/images/SN7pN9

1 hour ago, Je5u5 said:

Thing is they don't have a perfect album. They are all flawed.

If you mean Dum Dum Diddle on arrival I think @Jazzy Jan will be having words with you!

59 minutes ago, nightcutter said:

I was shocked several years ago to realize that some countries got this as the artwork for the first greatest hits compilation.  WTF? 

Yeah, I was shocked when I saw it. I think it's the original European or Swedish version. The seventies was a weird time.

1 hour ago, nightcutter said:

Don't be shy, post the whole thing

greatesthitsarnoldrawing.jpg

4 hours ago, jonski43 said:

If you mean Dum Dum Diddle on arrival I think @Jazzy Jan will be having words with you!

:rotfl: I am an unashamed lover of Dum Dum Diddle.  Catchy as hell plus how unique and different to want to be a fiddle called Dum Dum Diddle.   Also contains that classic line of "  But you're only smiling, when you play your violin"  

5 hours ago, nightcutter said:

3 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

Don't be shy, post the whole thing

greatesthitsarnoldrawing.jpg

OMG !!!!!    This is hilarious but so weird. 

8 hours ago, Musicinferno said:

I am a huge Dancing Queen fan.  I think because it is played so often that people probably tire of it compared to other Abba Songs.  But the melody, the sheer joy of it, the musical backing and the vocals are everything.  I actually think it is the best pop song about the joy of dancing after Into the Groove.  

16 hours ago, swimtoshore said:

What are your fave ABBA songs Jan?

This is so hard but going to try.  In no order 

Waterloo 

Dance while the Music still goes on 

That's me 

Knowing me Knowing you 

My love My life 

Dancing Queen 

Disillusion 

One man One woman 

The name of the Game 

Thank you for the music 

The winner takes it all 

Our last Summer 

Angel eyes 

The king has lost his crown 

If it wasn't for the nights 

When all is said and done 

Soldiers 

One of us 

Under attack 

So many more I love with a passion but I think these are my favourites. 

1 hour ago, Jazzy Jan said:

This is so hard but going to try.  In no order 

Waterloo 

Dance while the Music still goes on 

That's me 

Knowing me Knowing you 

My love My life 

Dancing Queen 

Disillusion 

One man One woman 

The name of the Game 

Thank you for the music 

The winner takes it all 

Our last Summer 

Angel eyes 

The king has lost his crown 

If it wasn't for the nights 

When all is said and done 

Soldiers 

One of us 

Under attack 

So many more I love with a passion but I think these are my favourites. 

Great list - it is almost to impossible to select favorites as there as so many brilliant songs....

My list is so long it is embarrassing - I should just say Greatest Hits Vols 1&2 and be done with it LOL

• Ring Ring
  • Waterloo
  • So Long
  • Honey Honey
  • S.O.S.
  • Dancing Queen
  • Knowing Me, Knowing You
  • That's Me
  • The Name of the Game
  • Thank You For The Music
  • Voulez-Vous
  • Angeleyes
  • Fernando
  • Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)
  • The King Has Lost His Crown
  • Kisses of Fire
  • The Winner Takes It All
  • On and On and On
  • Lay All Your Love On Me
  • Andante, Andante
  • When All Is Said and Done
  • One of Us
  • Slipping Through My Fingers
  • Soldiers
  • Under Attack
  • The Day Before You Came

@swimtoshore.  Love your list.  Loved all the songs on it. 

Also, when you were a child, did you always call the girls either " Anna or Frida" . :lol:.  I remember that is what they were always called when they were first famous. Wondering if it is just an Australian thing. We are well known for abbreviating everything.