MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
qaz

ABBA thread

On 9/28/2018 at 7:05 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

This song SHOULD have been a single.  Absolute pop perfection.  Beats virtually every pop song around. .   

this wasn’t a single? i LOVE this song. It is perfection, like so many ABBA created

On 9/28/2018 at 10:44 PM, Andra said:

Abba is the best pop band of all time. Sometimes I sit and I'm amazed at how incredibly ahead of their time they were.

TRUTH!

I've always been a causal ABBA fan (more like an ABBA Gold fan), but the last few weeks, and with no new music to catch my interest, I went deeper into their catalogue (listening to all their albums/songs released). I was pleasantly surprised with how many amazing songs they have besides the Gold album. This are some of my new favourites:

• Hasta Mañana
  • Tiger
  • Eagle
  • One Man, One Woman
  • Angeleyes
  • If It Wasn't for the Nights
  • Our Last Summer
  • When All is Said and Done

I also checked ABBA The Movie, the Japan special, some live concerts and the 2 Mamma Mia movies. 

Both girls are amazing, but after checking their whole discography I'm now specially obssesed with Frida.

From the moment I heard this song Christmas morning 1980, I have loved it. The lyrics are awesome LOL. I used to play the first three songs on side 1 of Super Trouper incessantly - what a combo!

22 hours ago, swimtoshore said:

this wasn’t a single? i LOVE this song. It is perfection, like so many ABBA created

It was a double a side with voulez vous, at least in the UK.

22 hours ago, swimtoshore said:

From the moment I heard this song Christmas morning 1980, I have loved it. The lyrics are awesome LOL. I used to play the first three songs on side 1 of Super Trouper incessantly - what a combo!

There's a demo version that has an extra verse in!

But yes, I think Frida is in the shadow on Agnetha but frankly has some amazing songs. Check out her Swedish version of life on Mars!

1 hour ago, jonski43 said:

But yes, I think Frida is in the shadow on Agnetha but frankly has some amazing songs. Check out her Swedish version of life on Mars!

is that the Humpty Dumpty verse?

And as for Frida....she is awesome

This was my favorite song of 82/83

Just now, swimtoshore said:

is that the Humpty Dumpty verse?

And as for Frida....she is awesome

This was my favorite song of 82/83

Can't remember the verse. Something to do with waiting for a bus. I do I do i do and when all is said and done also have versions with different verses. For the completist!

I love I know there's something going on by Frida. Such a great 80s track.

I like Frida more because the versatility she brought. Agnetha is great but kind of a one trick pony. Also after listening to their live concerts Frida sounds 10X times better too.

Either way both girls are amazing.

I just listened to their (original) ABBA Gold a few days ago and the only songs that I never heard of before were:

Lay All Your Love On Me
Does Your Mother Know
I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do
Rock Me

2 hours ago, Rock said:

I just listened to their (original) ABBA Gold a few days ago and the only songs that I never heard of before were:

Lay All Your Love On Me
Does Your Mother Know
Rock Me

Rock, Have you seen Muriel's wedding ?   Has some fantastic ways of incorporating Abba songs. What a movie. 

This always makes me laugh - seeing as you mentioned "  I do, I do, I do, I do, I do 

19 hours ago, jonski43 said:

It was a double a side with voulez vous, at least in the UK.

Not really a demo. It was the finished version and then it was edited down, kind of like what happened to Summer Night City. By the way, the original video used the full length version.

33 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Rock, Have you seen Muriel's wedding ?   Has some fantastic ways of incorporating Abba songs. What a movie. 

This always makes me laugh - seeing as you mentioned "  I do, I do, I do, I do, I do

The groom's expression lol :lmao:.

I've seen that movie some years ago, but it seems that "I Do" didn't make any impact on me lol.

The other ABBA songs on it (and ABBA Gold) I know since forever. Some by radio playlists, others by family sing-along, others from tv shows, like TUFTM (even though translated) that every week was the ending song of an Endemol talent-show that we had in the 90s. Take a look (and yes, that's one of the hosts from Eurovision 2018 lol):

1 minute ago, Rock said:

The groom's expression lol :lmao:.

I've seen that movie some years ago, but it seems that "I Do" didn't make any impact on me lol.

The other ABBA songs on it (and ABBA Gold) I know since forever. Some by radio playlists, others by family sing-along, others from tv shows, like TUFTM (even though translated) that every week was the ending song of an Endemol talent-show that we had in the 90s. Take a look (and yes, that's one of the hosts from Eurovision 2018 lol):

Love it Rock. 

Abba turns up everyone and don't we love it.  Thank you for the music is such a universally loved song and could be used for anything with music. 

I just accepted that for me ABBA is the best group that ever existed. They really rile me up and make me really happy. How can they influence me so much???

6 hours ago, Rock said:

Lay All Your Love On Me

One of the best songs ever created.

11 hours ago, Rock said:

Lay All Your Love On Me
Does Your Mother Know
Rock Me

Rock Me isn't on Gold is it?

4 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

Rock Me isn't on Gold is it?

Australian version (until 2008).

5 minutes ago, Rock said:

Australian version (until 2008).

Weird inclusion as I don't think it was ever released as a single. But it was also included on the original Greatest Hits Vol. 2 release back in the day so I guess it makes sense to keep it.

11 hours ago, elijah said:

I just accepted that for me ABBA is the best group that ever existed. They really rile me up and make me really happy. How can they influence me so much???

totally agree. I'm looking forward to the new songs in the beginning of the next year. :bow:

Edited by RebelMe

1 hour ago, RebelMe said:

totally agree. I'm looking forward for the new songs at the beginning of the next year. :bow:

❤️🙂❤️ oh yeah, can't wait

Because we had so much fun with the naming the songs of Abba with people's names - what about the songs with animals.  :lol:  -  between Madonna eras is tough.   These songs are just fantastic.  

That's me - Eagle flying with a dove (  My favourite lyric of theirs EVER )  

Tiger - I am behind you,  I always find you,  I am the tiger 

Eagle - Flying high high - I'm a bird in the sky,  

On 10/23/2018 at 7:30 AM, swimtoshore said:

What an album !  Super Trouper is one of their very best.  

6 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

Weird inclusion as I don't think it was ever released as a single. But it was also included on the original Greatest Hits Vol. 2 release back in the day so I guess it makes sense to keep it.

Je5u5,  it was a hit single in Australia.   Australia saw Abba as we saw Madonna.  Both Abba and Madonna  become superstars in Australia before the rest of the world and we were obsessed with them completely.  All natural too and due to them mainly being seen on Countdown with Molly Meldrum.  People loved what they saw and viola - massive stars through their great music.  Did not even need any payola or paid promotion. 

B sides become hit singles and were played just as much.  Rock Me was originally a B side but was loved and picked up so much that they made it a single as well.  

57 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Je5u5,  it was a hit single in Australia.   Australia saw Abba as we saw Madonna.  Both Abba and Madonna  become superstars in Australia before the rest of the world and we were obsessed with them completely.  All natural too and due to them mainly being seen on Countdown with Molly Meldrum.  People loved what they saw and viola - massive stars through their great music.  Did not even need any payola or paid promotion. 

B sides become hit singles and were played just as much.  Rock Me was originally a B side but was loved and picked up so much that they made it a single as well.  

I was gonna say, I remember Rock Me being a single in Australia. ABBA was absolutely massive here from ABBA through Arrival and remained popular up to Super Trouper. I remember The Visitors was a bust here.

6 minutes ago, swimtoshore said:

I was gonna say, I remember Rock Me being a single in Australia. ABBA was absolutely massive here from ABBA through Arrival and remained popular up to Super Trouper. I remember The Visitors was a bust here.

Swimtoshore,  I always loved the Visitors.   The whole "daggy"  image that everyone used to destroy Abba from SuperTrouper onwards was wrong and ridiculous .  They were always ahead of the pack,  always talented and created sublime pop music. 

Do you also feel kind of proud that Australia made Abba and Madonna superstars before the rest of the world.  I certainly am 🙂  Something we have to be proud of indeed ! 

6 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Swimtoshore,  I always loved the Visitors.   The whole "daggy"  image that everyone used to destroy Abba from SuperTrouper onwards was wrong and ridiculous .  They were always ahead of the pack,  always talented and created sublime pop music. 

Do you also feel kind of proud that Australia made Abba and Madonna superstars before the rest of the world.  I certainly am 🙂  Something we have to be proud of indeed ! 

I remember being the only one of my friends and family that was still into ABBA when SuperTrouper came out with the exception of one cousin. Everyone thought they were totally uncool by then......

I love that ABBA and Madonna were super popular here from early on. We have great taste 🙂

15 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Australia still churns out captivating talent. Just look at how big Margot Robbie has gotten. Cate Blanchett's career is still going strong and Nicole Kidman has gone through a revival recently. Rose Byrne and Toni Collette have also had plenty of great roles although they're sadly not nearly as mainstream as they deserve to be.

16 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Because we had so much fun with the naming the songs of Abba with people's names - what about the songs with animals.  :lol:  -  between Madonna eras is tough.   These songs are just fantastic.  

That's me - Eagle flying with a dove (  My favourite lyric of theirs EVER )  

Tiger - I am behind you,  I always find you,  I am the tiger 

Eagle - Flying high high - I'm a bird in the sky,  

Does this count?

15 hours ago, swimtoshore said:

Always makes me laugh watching the movie and you can hear the chants 'We want EBBA' in strong Ozzie accents! 😁

Yes, it was clear when The Visitors came out, they'd lost their spark. One of Us was big but then Head Over Heels stalled and that was it in the UK. The last two singles underperformed although the First Ten Years did well I think.

Still, great to see they are now revered as they should be. This will happen to Madonna one day!

1 hour ago, MarcoMartins said:

Australia still churns out captivating talent. Just look at how big Margot Robbie has gotten. Cate Blanchett's career is still going strong and Nicole Kidman has gone through a revival recently. Rose Byrne and Toni Collette have also had plenty of great roles although they're sadly not nearly as mainstream as they deserve to be.

Still think Toni has a strong chance of taking out the Oscar this year for best actress.