MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
qaz

ABBA thread

1 minute ago, Musicinferno said:

Thanks for all this!

If It Wasn´t For The Nights is my favourite track on Voulez-Vous!

That dancing in the first video tho 😆

:rotfl: The dancing was hilarious in the first video but still was somehow fabulous.  It if Wasn't for the Nights is a pop classic.  That and Angel Eyes are my favourite tracks from Voules Vous followed closely by The king has lost his crown, Kisses of Fire and As good as new.  Such a great album. 

Forever Gold better than that tacky Cher Abba covers album.

This song was so ahead of it's time.  Amazing unique song.  

Bjorn and Benny now talking about a full album or at least four songs if they feel they've got the right songs!

4 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

This song was so ahead of it's time.  Amazing unique song.  

Yes, and I feel it's often overshadowed by their other hits but it is a really timeless song. Ever noticed Agnetha playing with her nose at the end? 😁 I wondered why they didn't edit that out!

New Abba album would be brilliant! 

@Je5u5   Have you heard the version of Summer Night city with the ballad introduction ?   I have not heard it but sounds fascinating.  Love Summer Night City 

1 minute ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@Je5u5   Have you heard the version of Summer Night city with the ballad introduction ?   I have not heard it but sounds fascinating.  Love Summer Night City 

To me, it's the definitive version and the one that's part of my Voulez Vous digital album.

Here's the tour version based on the original full length arrangement but I find it a bit too... rushed maybe? Looses the sensuality (in ABBAs context of course) of the original.

And as a random bonus track here's the Offer Nissim cover which borrows from the uncut version as well

#betterthanCher

7 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

To me, it's the definitive version and the one that's part of my Voulez Vous digital album.

It's my favourite Abba song of all time. I got a bootleg cd years ago with the live version on it. I had no idea the thank you for the music box set had the extended intro until YouTube came along.

I love the rocky ending of the live version too.

I just don't get why this song is forgotten about!

2 hours ago, jonski43 said:

It's my favourite Abba song of all time. I got a bootleg cd years ago with the live version on it. I had no idea the thank you for the music box set had the extended intro until YouTube came along.

At least we got this for record store day this year:

ABBA_Summer_Night_City_1024x.jpg?v=15269

Thanks so much  @Je5u5 for posting  the extended version of Summer night city. Loved it. 

56 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

At least we got this for record store day this year:

ABBA_Summer_Night_City_1024x.jpg?v=15269

Did you get one? I had to pay £50 fit mine 🙃 but it's I was so pleased they released it - forty years old this year!

3 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Did you get one? I had to pay £50 fit mine 🙃 but it's I was so pleased they released it - forty years old this year!

Yep, managed to get my hands in a copy on RSD for it's original retail price 😍

4 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Thanks so much  @Je5u5 for posting  the extended version of Summer night city. Loved it. 

It's a gem 👍

On 10/3/2018 at 6:08 PM, jonski43 said:

Bjorn and Benny now talking about a full album or at least four songs if they feel they've got the right songs!

Yes, and I feel it's often overshadowed by their other hits but it is a really timeless song. Ever noticed Agnetha playing with her nose at the end? 😁 I wondered why they didn't edit that out!

:lmao: At the nose playing.  Never picked that up before but it is so random and weird to be in a video. 

Another Abba classic - great melody, great instrumental backing and the beautiful harmonies - perfect pop song.  Also the instrumental rif is everything 

On 10/4/2018 at 8:28 AM, jonski43 said:

How was this not Number One all over the world? It’s my favorite too! (Well, together with DQ) It has a slightly aggressive and very sexy attitude, maybe that’s why average folks couldn’t handle it. I also heard some music historians say ABBA never really managed to nail ‘disco’, but that’s the dumbest BS, at least to me, because their disco stuff is what I like best. Though it’s obvious they had their biggest success with hits like Fernando or Chiquitita or Dancing Queen. 

On 9/28/2018 at 3:08 PM, Jazzy Jan said:

OMG.   Flop Abba fan.  I truly thought I knew all of their songs but having a conversation with my Abba loving friend  ( we both have been to TOAC together - he is also a great Madonna fan )  as well as stage musical Mama Mia and both movies,  he told me how he loved "  Should I laugh or cry"    What the hell,  I did not know this song.   It is beautiful and I have a new Abba song to love.  Was a B side of One of us. 

Jazzy Jan, I'm SHOCKED you just recently discovered this great song. 😄

On the other hand I'm pretty jealous as well, because it must feel great to listen to a "brand new" ABBA recording as a longtime fan. 🙂 Love this one so much.

What about Livingstone this gem? It's ridiculous they have sat on this record for almost 40 years.

3 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

What about Livingstone this gem? It's ridiculous they have sat on this record for almost 40 years.

Criminal. Such a gem! I think I read somewhere that B&B always thought that the verses and chorus sound like two different songs and don't flow too well.
Shouldn't have stopped them from releasing it as bonus track in recent years though. The harmonies are heavenly.

2 hours ago, Illuminati said:

Criminal. Such a gem! I think I read somewhere that B&B always thought that the verses and chorus sound like two different songs and don't flow too well.
Shouldn't have stopped them from releasing it as bonus track in recent years though. The harmonies are heavenly.

Yes. And yet for unknown reasons (Too much involvement?) they were happy to release this version instead??

11 hours ago, Illuminati said:

Jazzy Jan, I'm SHOCKED you just recently discovered this great song. 😄

On the other hand I'm pretty jealous as well, because it must feel great to listen to a "brand new" ABBA recording as a longtime fan. 🙂 Love this one so much.

:lol:  Illuminati,  that was exactly what my friend Glenn said.   We were having this long lovely conversation all about Abba songs we loved and mentioning all the rare ones and when he mentioned Should I laugh or cry and I looked puzzled and said I did not know it, he insisted I would know it.  He thought it was on the Visitors album but it was a B side and I had not heard it !  

It has been so wonderful though discovering it.  I never thought in a million years,  I would not know an old Abba song !    People go out of their way to ask me about Abba and Madonna and their music,  so it is both embarrassing ( flop Abba fan ! )  but wonderful to hear a song and just play it over and over.  The lyrics are fascinating too.  

14 hours ago, Lolo said:

How was this not Number One all over the world? It’s my favorite too! (Well, together with DQ) It has a slightly aggressive and very sexy attitude, maybe that’s why average folks couldn’t handle it. I also heard some music historians say ABBA never really managed to nail ‘disco’, but that’s the dumbest BS, at least to me, because their disco stuff is what I like best. Though it’s obvious they had their biggest success with hits like Fernando or Chiquitita or Dancing Queen. 

It is a brilliant song.  How I love Abba.   I love the extended version as have always thought the beginning although great,  was somehow too quick.  Not explaining it properly.  I think Abba is like Madonna in the fact that they can do any kind of musical genre ( so to speak ) perfectly and with skill and feeling.  Pop perfection, ballads, rock, disco, Musical theatre type songs, new wave - everything.  Have always thought Abba was the greatest band of all time and never wavered from that despite people I know telling me I was mad.  Now they are agreeing.  Lolo,  all of us posting on this fantastic thread,  always knew how great Abba was.   

@Crux  We need you back in this thread !   :inlove:  Abba/Madonna fans united ! 

22 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@Crux  We need you back in this thread !   :inlove:  Abba/Madonna fans united ! 

I presume you know of Cassandra, I am the city, you owe me one, put on your white sombrero, Elaine, dream world and autumn leaves too? Just checking you've heard these!

By the way, there's some lovely songs on their pa svenska album, all in Swedish which is what the title means but some nice gems.

1 hour ago, jonski43 said:

I presume you know of Cassandra, I am the city, you owe me one, put on your white sombrero, Elaine, dream world and autumn leaves too? Just checking you've heard these!

By the way, there's some lovely songs on their pa svenska album, all in Swedish which is what the title means but some nice gems.

Thanks Jonski.  Yes, have heard them but appreciate you making sure I have.   :thumbsup:

Still loving " Should I laugh or cry"  The lyrics are fascinating too.  

On 10/7/2018 at 12:39 AM, jonski43 said:

You mean the Hamlet demo, right?

I love should I laugh or cry.  I played it a lot when I bought the one of us single.  

11 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

You mean the Hamlet demo, right?

Yeah. Someone did quite a good fan mix and made into a song.