MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
qaz

ABBA thread

Abba is the best pop band of all time. Sometimes I sit and I'm amazed at how incredibly ahead of their time they were.

17 minutes ago, Andra said:

Abba is the best pop band of all time. Sometimes I sit and I'm amazed at how incredibly ahead of their time they were.

Agree totally.  So glad that the entire world has now realized how incredible this band was.  Way ahead of their time while still creating melodic pop masterpieces.  

OMG.   Flop Abba fan.  I truly thought I knew all of their songs but having a conversation with my Abba loving friend  ( we both have been to TOAC together - he is also a great Madonna fan )  as well as stage musical Mama Mia and both movies,  he told me how he loved "  Should I laugh or cry"    What the hell,  I did not know this song.   It is beautiful and I have a new Abba song to love.  Was a B side of One of us. 

4 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

This song SHOULD have been a single.  Absolute pop perfection.  Beats virtually every pop song around. .   

OMG, That is my favourite Abba song ever. Seriously, how was that not a single?

Is there even a live performance of it?

Love it.

10 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

This song SHOULD have been a single.  Absolute pop perfection.  Beats virtually every pop song around. .   

It was.

R-7145381-1434733492-8542.mpo.jpg

Originally released as the main track in the UK and the US with Voulez Vous on the b-side. I've read stories about Roxy Music having a sing with the same title at the same time so to avoid confusion they switched all the promo to Voulez Vous.

11 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

It was.

Originally released as the main track in the UK and the US with Voulez Vous on the b-side. I've read stories about Roxy Music having a sing with the same title at the same time so to avoid confusion they switched all the promo to Voulez Vous.

Thanks Je5u5 

Never knew this was originally a single in the UK and US but always thought it was a B side.  Never saw it promoted as a single in Australia at any time. 

If you wanna talk mysteries we have If It Wasn't for the Nights. It was originally performed a few times on TV im the lead up to the album yet ended up never being released as a single (and getting a bit of a makeover for the album release).

The 1978 version.

"If It Wasn't for the Nights" was considered by the band members to be one of the strongest songs recorded during the Voulez-Vous sessions, and was originally intended to be the lead single from the album. ABBA performed the song in Japan in November 1978, upon their promotional visit to the country (known as ABBA in Japan). Although ABBA did not film an official video for "If It Wasn't for the Nights", their filmed performance on the Mike Yarwood Christmas Show in December 1978 serves as an "unofficial" music video. These filmed performances of the song differ from the original 5:11 version (lasting 3:42 and 3:50).

In December 1978, a new song entitled "Chiquitita" had been recorded, and it was ultimately decided that this would be released as the lead single from the Voulez-Vous album instead. As a result of this decision, "If It Wasn't for the Nights" remained an album track.

33 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

If you wanna talk mysteries we have If It Wasn't for the Nights. It was originally performed a few times on TV im the lead up to the album yet ended up never being released as a single (and getting a bit of a makeover for the album release).

The strongest songs (  in my view )  on Voulez -Vous are Angel Eyes,  If it wasn't for the nights,  As good as new,  The king has lost his crown and Kisses of Fire.  Still loved the title song of course.   

If it wasn't for the nights had one of those beautiful classic instrumental riffs that were done too perfection.  As good as new,  Angel Eyes, The King has lost his crown had them too.  Also the ones in That's me, Eagle, Move on and Gimme Gimme Gimme are wonderful.  Dancing Queen too of course.  Just so much to love about Abba.   Keep thinking of great examples. 

24 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

The 1978 version.

"If It Wasn't for the Nights" was considered by the band members to be one of the strongest songs recorded during the Voulez-Vous sessions, and was originally intended to be the lead single from the album. ABBA performed the song in Japan in November 1978, upon their promotional visit to the country (known as ABBA in Japan). Although ABBA did not film an official video for "If It Wasn't for the Nights", their filmed performance on the Mike Yarwood Christmas Show in December 1978 serves as an "unofficial" music video. These filmed performances of the song differ from the original 5:11 version (lasting 3:42 and 3:50).

In December 1978, a new song entitled "Chiquitita" had been recorded, and it was ultimately decided that this would be released as the lead single from the Voulez-Vous album instead. As a result of this decision, "If It Wasn't for the Nights" remained an album track.

Thanks Je5u5 - you are a gift to this thread. 

What a song.  Always loved it so much. 

1 hour ago, Je5u5 said:

It was.

It was a double a side in the UK primarily because Angeleyes was more of the traditional Abba sound as they weren't sure how the disco sound would go down especially as summer night city had not done as well as previous singles. There's also controversy about its UK chart position as they changed the charts. Some argue it peaked at 9 not 3 from what I remember reading.

I think the album tracks on voulez vous   are stronger than some of the singles.

Oh yes, and the version of should I laugh or cry on the b side is a demo which they added by accident. You can hear studio chatter at the start.

10 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

It was a double a side in the UK primarily because Angeleyes was more of the traditional Abba sound as they weren't sure how the disco sound would go down especially as summer night city had not done as well as previous singles. There's also controversy about its UK chart position as they changed the charts. Some argue it peaked at 9 not 3 from what I remember reading.

I think the album tracks on voulez vous   are stronger than some of the singles.

Oh yes, and the version of should I laugh or cry on the b side is a demo which they added by accident. You can hear studio chatter at the start.

So many interesting facts in this thread about Abba.  Seems we all virtually agree that the album tracks were better than the single tracks with Voulez Vous.  Angel Eyes should have been a smash everywhere - pop perfection.  

Does your mother know is possibly the weakest song from the album - purely only my view of course. 

Benny and Bjorn are the most incredible songwriters but their voices are average.  The girl's voices and harmonies lifted the music to the heights they deserved.  Both men say that all the time too. 

5 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

So many interesting facts in this thread about Abba.  Seems we all virtually agree that the album tracks were better than the single tracks with Voulez Vous.  . 

Does your mother know is possible the weakest song from the album - purely my view of course. 

Benny and Bjorn are the most incredible songwriters but their voices are average.  The girl's voices and harmonies lifted the music to the heights they deserved.  Both men say that all the time too. 

There's supposedly a full demo of this early version of chiquitita!

And does your mother know is the only song I've missed off on my abba singles compilation! It really is there '4 minutes' 😂

1 minute ago, jonski43 said:

There's supposedly a full demo of this early version of chiquitita!

And does your mother know is the only song I've missed off on my abba singles compilation! It really is there '4 minutes' 😂

I have a strange kind of love/don't love attitude with Chiquitita.  It is a beautiful song and the piano solo is wonderful but somehow is not my favourite.  Yet, when I have not heard it for a while and hear it again,  I love it.  

Does your mother Know and Lovers live a little longer are the 2 I don't love from the album.  

24 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I have a strange kind of love/don't love attitude with Chiquitita.  It is a beautiful song and the piano solo is wonderful but somehow is not my favourite.  Yet, when I have not heard it for a while and hear it again,  I love it.  

Does your mother Know and Lovers live a little longer are the 2 I don't love from the album.  

If I had to remove two songs from Voulez Vous I'd delete Chiquitita and I Have a Dream.

Would also replace them gladly with Summer Night City and Lovelight.

7 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

If I had to remove two songs from Voulez Vous I'd delete Chiquitita and I Have a Dream.

They are the two songs I have a real conflicted ( not sure if that is the right word )  view on.  Sometimes I love them,  yet other times I don't want to even hear them.   Not even explaining it properly.  

They are the two songs I have a real conflicted ( not sure if that is the right word )  view on.  Sometimes I love them,  yet other times I don't want to even hear them.   Not even explaining it properly.  

To me it's not about them being bad songs at all. They are just too cheesy and I hate when people associate them with those two.

I'm the same with chiquitita. I only listen to the Spanish version, same with I have a dream as they're just not my faves.

However, I'd drop does your mother know as it's so totally it off place and put summer night city and lovelight on there too.

I love, love, love lovers live a little longer though! 😀

Forgot to say there's a Spanish gold album coming soon but I can't find the news.

1 minute ago, jonski43 said:

I'm the same with chiquitita. I only listen to the Spanish version, same with I have a dream as they're just not my faves.

However, I'd drop does your mother know as it's so totally it off place and put summer night city and lovelight on there too.

I love, love, love lovers live a little longer though! 😀

Forgot to say there's a Spanish gold album coming soon but I can't find the news.

Lovelight should have been on there.  

Another thing I love about Abba is how their songs actually tell a story in either serious, emotional ways or complete fantasy but fun ways.  They are not just "  I love you,  your are my world"  etc kind of songs.  Lovelight creates such a picture.  How she hates her room as it is gloomy and dreary and the window faces the back yard.  But when he walks in everything becomes so much brighter.   And how waiting for him at the movies and the traffic become a lot lighter when he appears.  

18 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Lovelight should have been on there.  

Another thing I love about Abba is how their songs actually tell a story in either serious, emotional ways or complete fantasy but fun ways.  They are not just "  I love you,  your are my world"  etc kind of songs.  Lovelight creates such a picture.  How she hates her room as it is gloomy and dreary and the window faces the back yard.  But when he walks in everything becomes so much brighter.   And how waiting for him at the movies and the traffic become a lot lighter when he appears.  

Indeed. If we take for instance Voulez Vous we have songs about...

- Someone going back to a relationship after breaking it up and realizing it was a mistake (As Good as New).

- A hook up on a night at the disco (the title track)

- Seeing an ex with someone new without getting over the person yet (Angeleyes).

- Turning down the advances of a minor (Does Your Mother Know).

- Pseudo science about the benefits of love on people's health (Lovers (Live a Little Longer))

And so on.

14 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

Indeed. If we take for instance Voulez Vous we have songs about...

- Someone going back to a relationship after breaking it up and realizing it was a mistake (As Good as New).

- A hook up on a night at the disco (the title track)

- Seeing an ex with someone new without getting over the person yet (Angeleyes).

- Turning down the advances of a minor (Does Your Mother Know).

- Pseudo science about the benefits of love on people's health (Lovers (Live a Little Longer))

And so on.

Another great one from the same album is " The king has lost his crown"   Always the ultimate song to me about unrequited love that is a kind of payback at the same time for past behaviour. .  A song about  a rampant womaniser who falls in love with a girl who simply does not love him.  Also contains perfect harmonies, melody and lyrics as well as that great instrumental piece that helps lift the song to even greater heights.  

It is great to sing out loudly "  Disaster and Disgrace " 

On 9/28/2018 at 10:35 PM, Je5u5 said:

Would also replace them gladly with Summer Night City and Lovelight.

Totally agree. 

I love Chiquitita, but loathe I Have A Dream. I think that's my least favourite Abba track ever.

I don't like "L,overs (Live a little longer)" either.

They are the epitome of Pure Pop Perfection. Unparalleled and unmatched. Songwriting, melodies, harmonies and production... no artist seriously ever got any better with such consistency. 

4 hours ago, Crux said:

I love Chiquitita, but loathe I Have A Dream. I think that's my least favourite Abba track ever.

I don't like "L,overs (Live a little longer)" either.

I  stopped playing I Have a Dream after this...silly but it happened. :lmao: 

1:44

2 hours ago, Flip The Switch said:

:rotfl: OMG.  

If you want to dig a bit deeper into the genesis of Angeleyes, If It Wasnt for the Nights and Chiquitita here's a bit from the deluxe edition of the album:

"By the end of October (1978) the creative curve was looking up again, with the recording of ‘If It Wasn’t For The Nights’ and ‘Angeleyes’, both of which were destined to be included on the album. ‘Angeleyes’ was not Björn and Benny’s favourite track on the album at the time; to them it didn’t sound like that 100 per cent contemporary band they wanted to be. “It’s ‘back to the Sixties’,” says Benny today, “and also the tune is in a strange key; it’s somehow both too low and too high. But I like it better now – it sounds like it was made ten years earlier, but that doesn’t matter today when a further 30 years have passed.”

‘If It Wasn’t For The Nights’ was another matter entirely. Without perhaps being an all-out disco track, the recording had the rhythmic flexibility and club music pulse Björn and Benny were looking for; it definitely sounded like the late Seventies. Not surprisingly, it was regarded as the strongest track they had come up with so far and was earmarked as the next ABBA single, to be released in early 1979. The group even went so far as to perform it on Japanese and British television, well before release.

‘If It Wasn’t For The Nights’ was a brilliant song, to be sure, but it also had a special emotional resonance for some of the group. After seven years of marriage, with all the ups and downs that any couple goes through, around the time the song was written and recorded Björn and Agnetha decided to go their separate ways. “Those lyrics were written during a period when I was feeling really depressed. I was down as hell,” Björn admitted at the time, without going into specifics. Today he agrees that his and Agnetha’s painful decision to split up probably had something to do with the lyrics’ theme of someone coping with a break-up during the daytime but being unable to face the night-time hours of solitude, with only the anguish and the regrets for company. “I’m sure it was something that hit me on a lonely night,” he says.

Had ‘If It Wasn’t For The Nights’ been released as a single it would have been part of a very special event, originating with The Bee Gees, their manager Robert Stigwood, and British television personality David Frost. The year of 1979 had been declared The Year Of The Child by the United Nations, and along with several other major artists, ABBA agreed to donate all current and future royalties of their next single to UNICEF. Moreover, the songs would be performed to the world at a televised gala, broadcast from the General Assembly Hall in the United Nations building in New York City in January 1979. Although some artists donated songs that had already been released, ABBA were among those who offered brand new songs and, in fact, would unveil their new single at the UNICEF gala.

As events unfolded, it turned out that ‘If It Wasn’t For The Nights’ wasn’t destined to be that single after all. On December 4, 1978, Björn and Benny began recording a song that started life as ‘In The Arms Of Rosalita’. But when that recording was near completion, the group got cold feet and decided to start all over again. On December 13 a completely new backing track was recorded, and the song finally ended up as ‘Chiquitita’. Being the pragmatic souls that they were, ABBA took a look at the album-bound songs they had managed to complete so far and concluded that ‘Chiquitita’ was the best of the bunch. So that was their next single, and, accordingly, the song that was to be performed at the UNICEF gala.

On January 9, 1979, ABBA found themselves on stage in the General Assembly Hall together with an array of other highly successful stars: The Bee Gees, Rod Stewart, Earth, Wind & Fire, Donna Summer, Olivia Newton-John, Andy Gibb, John Denver, Rita Coolidge and Kris Kristofferson. Memories of the gala are largely lost in the mists of time, although Benny says that “it was fun to be a part of it, together with so many of our heroes”. He also recalls meeting Robert Stigwood, who, perhaps stressed-out by the pressures of the event, “looked like he was going to explode any second!”

Both Björn and Benny remember that it felt a bit weird going to New York City and perform a song like ‘Chiquitita’ – a somewhat old-fashioned take on European and Latin American pop – in the midst of disco rock such as Rod Stewart’s ‘Da Ya Think I’m Sexy’. “I would have wanted something more contemporary to perform”, admits Björn. Benny agrees: “It was pretty strange, but we felt it was the best song we had and that’s why we chose it, however wrong it may have been”.

Although ‘If It Wasn’t For The Nights’ would probably have been a better fit on that New York night, from a hit-making perspective ABBA had certainly chosen the right song as their new single. Around the time of the ‘Chiquitita’ release, a week after the United Nations gala, Björn and Agnetha finally announced to the world that they were going to split. But although many observers speculated that this must mean the end of ABBA, in fact it didn’t seem to affect the group one bit. If anything, they claimed that they worked together better than ever. ”The tension that used to exist when we were working in the studio is gone,” Björn told a reporter. As if to prove his point, ‘Chiquitita’ became one of ABBA’s biggest-ever hits, earning UNICEF millions in royalties ever since."

7 hours ago, Flip The Switch said:

:lmao: How embarrassing. What makes these people think they can actually sing?

1 hour ago, Je5u5 said:

If you want to dig a bit deeper into the genesis of Angeleyes, If It Wasnt for the Nights and Chiquitita here's a bit from the deluxe edition of the album:

"By the end of October (1978) the creative curve was looking up again, with the recording of ‘If It Wasn’t For The Nights’ and ‘Angeleyes’, both of which were destined to be included on the album. ‘Angeleyes’ was not Björn and Benny’s favourite track on the album at the time; to them it didn’t sound like that 100 per cent contemporary band they wanted to be. “It’s ‘back to the Sixties’,” says Benny today, “and also the tune is in a strange key; it’s somehow both too low and too high. But I like it better now – it sounds like it was made ten years earlier, but that doesn’t matter today when a further 30 years have passed.”

‘If It Wasn’t For The Nights’ was another matter entirely. Without perhaps being an all-out disco track, the recording had the rhythmic flexibility and club music pulse Björn and Benny were looking for; it definitely sounded like the late Seventies. Not surprisingly, it was regarded as the strongest track they had come up with so far and was earmarked as the next ABBA single, to be released in early 1979. The group even went so far as to perform it on Japanese and British television, well before release.

‘If It Wasn’t For The Nights’ was a brilliant song, to be sure, but it also had a special emotional resonance for some of the group. After seven years of marriage, with all the ups and downs that any couple goes through, around the time the song was written and recorded Björn and Agnetha decided to go their separate ways. “Those lyrics were written during a period when I was feeling really depressed. I was down as hell,” Björn admitted at the time, without going into specifics. Today he agrees that his and Agnetha’s painful decision to split up probably had something to do with the lyrics’ theme of someone coping with a break-up during the daytime but being unable to face the night-time hours of solitude, with only the anguish and the regrets for company. “I’m sure it was something that hit me on a lonely night,” he says.

Had ‘If It Wasn’t For The Nights’ been released as a single it would have been part of a very special event, originating with The Bee Gees, their manager Robert Stigwood, and British television personality David Frost. The year of 1979 had been declared The Year Of The Child by the United Nations, and along with several other major artists, ABBA agreed to donate all current and future royalties of their next single to UNICEF. Moreover, the songs would be performed to the world at a televised gala, broadcast from the General Assembly Hall in the United Nations building in New York City in January 1979. Although some artists donated songs that had already been released, ABBA were among those who offered brand new songs and, in fact, would unveil their new single at the UNICEF gala.

As events unfolded, it turned out that ‘If It Wasn’t For The Nights’ wasn’t destined to be that single after all. On December 4, 1978, Björn and Benny began recording a song that started life as ‘In The Arms Of Rosalita’. But when that recording was near completion, the group got cold feet and decided to start all over again. On December 13 a completely new backing track was recorded, and the song finally ended up as ‘Chiquitita’. Being the pragmatic souls that they were, ABBA took a look at the album-bound songs they had managed to complete so far and concluded that ‘Chiquitita’ was the best of the bunch. So that was their next single, and, accordingly, the song that was to be performed at the UNICEF gala.

On January 9, 1979, ABBA found themselves on stage in the General Assembly Hall together with an array of other highly successful stars: The Bee Gees, Rod Stewart, Earth, Wind & Fire, Donna Summer, Olivia Newton-John, Andy Gibb, John Denver, Rita Coolidge and Kris Kristofferson. Memories of the gala are largely lost in the mists of time, although Benny says that “it was fun to be a part of it, together with so many of our heroes”. He also recalls meeting Robert Stigwood, who, perhaps stressed-out by the pressures of the event, “looked like he was going to explode any second!”

Both Björn and Benny remember that it felt a bit weird going to New York City and perform a song like ‘Chiquitita’ – a somewhat old-fashioned take on European and Latin American pop – in the midst of disco rock such as Rod Stewart’s ‘Da Ya Think I’m Sexy’. “I would have wanted something more contemporary to perform”, admits Björn. Benny agrees: “It was pretty strange, but we felt it was the best song we had and that’s why we chose it, however wrong it may have been”.

Although ‘If It Wasn’t For The Nights’ would probably have been a better fit on that New York night, from a hit-making perspective ABBA had certainly chosen the right song as their new single. Around the time of the ‘Chiquitita’ release, a week after the United Nations gala, Björn and Agnetha finally announced to the world that they were going to split. But although many observers speculated that this must mean the end of ABBA, in fact it didn’t seem to affect the group one bit. If anything, they claimed that they worked together better than ever. ”The tension that used to exist when we were working in the studio is gone,” Björn told a reporter. As if to prove his point, ‘Chiquitita’ became one of ABBA’s biggest-ever hits, earning UNICEF millions in royalties ever since."

Thanks again @Je5u5   Interesting information about choosing the single.  

On 9/28/2018 at 9:46 PM, Je5u5 said:

The 1978 version.

Thanks for all this!

If It Wasn´t For The Nights is my favourite track on Voulez-Vous!

That dancing in the first video tho 😆