MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
qaz

ABBA thread

Today in 1974: “Waterloo” is selected by the Swedish public to represent their country at the Eurovison Song Contest!!!

I am such a fan. And The Visitors is one of my favorites albums ever!

Abba%2B-%2BThe%2Bvisitors.jpg

For those lucky Londoners, there will be a offifial party this April.

http://www.eventim.co.uk/tickets.html?fun=evdetail&doc=evdetailb&key=1139061$3711714&affiliate=CSU

i like them

I thought about going to the party but it's a Monday night and it's really to promote the new photo book.

I really hope they mark the anniversary at Eurovision! Everyone should own their albums as the album tracks are as good as the singles, if not better!

Isn't there talk of the group reuniting, after years and years of refusing to do so?

And, it should be "its" anniversary. ;) Unless it's ABBA members. Yes, the anal grammatical one I am.

I'm buying all the deluxe versions of their albums :drool:

Isn't there talk of the group reuniting, after years and years of refusing to do so? And, it should be "its" anniversary. ;) Unless it's ABBA members. Yes, the anal grammatical one I am.

Not sure if true, but I read that they were offered a billion dollars to reunite and tour the globe, and they still declined?

I like them, but I don't think they're the best band ever - that's Queen ;) ;)

Not sure if true, but I read that they were offered a billion dollars to reunite and tour the globe, and they still declined?

Wow. One billion rejected?

I read somewhere that they may reunite for this year Eurovision.

Yes, it's true but it was ten years or so ago. They didn't do it as they thought it would look sad doing it at their age.

Agnetha mentioned in a German magazine recently about marking the 40th anniversary of Waterloo and the group had talked about it.

A little megamix of hits would be amazing!

The best band in the history of music!!! :inlove:

Totally agree. Fantastic songs, beautiful singers, diversity of music, amazing song-writers. Way ahead of their time in production as well. Love Abba so much.

Love me some Abba...especially the underrated gems like "Nina, Pretty Ballerina", "Boomerrang" and "Honey Honey".

Strange that i've loved them for years but only have the "Abba Gold" album.

Love me some Abba...especially the underrated gems like "Nina Pretty Ballerina", "Boomerrang" and "Honey Honey".

Strange that i've loved them for years but only have the "Abba Gold" album.

For years I also had only Abba Gold too. But I started buying one by one. Now I have most of them. It is worthy.

Qaz, How many studio albums did they record? I might splash out and buy them.

1973: Ring Ring

1974: Waterloo

1975: ABBA

1976: Arrival

1977: The Album

1979: Voulez-Vous

1980: Super Trouper

1981: The Visitors

I dont have them all. But my favorites are The visitors followed by Arrival and Voulez Vous.

Hope you can get some of their album¡

Totally agree. Fantastic songs, beautiful singers, diversity of music, amazing song-writers. Way ahead of their time in production as well. Love Abba so much.

Yes. I started listening to them in 2011 and I was blown away by how good they music sounds. It's not dated at all! They music is fresher than most music that is put out today.

Your post says it all. :clap:

Yah- the members supposedly have turned own crazy offers to reuinte through the years. But, yah, I was talking about recently:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5785808/abba-thinking-about-reuniting-in-2014

ABBA 'Thinking About' Reuniting in 2014
By Stuart Kemp, The Hollywood Reporter | November 11, 2013

The prospect of a reunion of legendary Swedish pop group ABBA set the U.K. media alight Monday.The web was abuzz with the potential reunion for band members Bjorn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson, Agnetha Faltskog and Anni-Frid Lyngstad in 2014.

Next year marks the 40th anniversary since the quartet won the Eurovision Song Contest and were catapulted to global stardom.

Band member and singer Faltskog told the German weekly Welt am Sonntag in an interview Sunday that "of course it is something we're thinking about."

"There seem to be plans to do something to mark this anniversary in some way. But I can't say at this point what will come of them," she said in the interview.

Sky News noted that ABBA was one of the few major global hit-makers not to have reunited. Their last album The Visitors hit the charts in 1982.

Faltskog and Ulvaeus, and Andersson and Lyngstad were both married couples, and both subsequently divorced -- although the band that never formally broke up.

The group's "Waterloo" won the Eurovision Song Contest in Brighton, England in April 1974 and immediately became a global phenomenon.

The band sold more than 380 million records worldwide and were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010.

ABBA posted an unprecedented string of worldwide number one hits such as "Mamma Mia", "Dancing Queen" and "Super Trouper."

Since 1982, Faltskog and Lyngstad pursued solo careers and Andersson and Ulvaeus wrote a hit musical Chess and reworked 24 ABBA hits into the musical Mamma Mia, which went on to be made into a box office smash hit film starring Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan.

Despite intense pressure to regroup, all four members have persistently ruled out doing so in the past.

In July 2008, the four members did reunite for the Swedish premiere of the movie "Mamma Mia," marking only the second time all of them had appeared together in public since 1986.

At the time, Ulvaeus and Andersson disappointed a generation by declaring there was "simply no motivation to regroup."

"We would like people to remember us as we were, young, exuberant and full of ambition," Ulvaeus said.

In her interview with Welt am Sonntag, Faltskog -- who recently released a new solo album -- said she did not want to spend too much time pondering whether a reunion should take place or not.

"That eats up too much energy. Don't just think about it, just do it," she said.

And she warned that time was running out.

"We're all getting older. I can't imagine going onto the stage on walking sticks," Faltskog said.

Qaz, How many studio albums did they record? I might splash out and buy them.

FMB, make sure you do. They have so many brilliant songs that were never singles. You won't regret it.

FMB, make sure you do. They have so many brilliant songs that were never singles. You won't regret it.

Yeah. And please teel us what do you think about their albums.

You just need all their albums. Essential listening. There are a few odd tracks throughout like Dum dum diddle, the piper, King Kong song but there are so many hidden gems too. Kisses of fire, Lovers live a little longer, that's me....

I think it's beautiful and so poignant that the last proper track they recorded as a group was ' the day before you came' and Agnetha recorded it with the lights out. No pretense, just raw emotion.

Just so cool!

You just need all their albums. Essential listening. There are a few odd tracks throughout like Dum dum diddle, the piper, King Kong song but there are so many hidden gems too. Kisses of fire, Lovers live a little longer, that's me....

I think it's beautiful and so poignant that the last proper track they recorded as a group was ' the day before you came' and Agnetha recorded it with the lights out. No pretense, just raw emotion.

Just so cool!

Great reading. I bet you love the Voules Vous album.

I am glad to see how.many fans Abba has.

Great reading. I bet you love the Voules Vous album.

I am glad to see how.many fans Abba has.

Yeah, Voulez vous is my favourite. The singles are some of the weaker tracks, it's that good.

Yeah, Voulez vous is my favourite. The singles are some of the weaker tracks, it's that good.

Angel Eyes, The King has lost his crown, Kisses of fire, As good as new, If it wasn't for the nights.- All pop music heaven

I love that album - the singles and non-singles. Also has anyone noticed that originally Kisses of fire was song 5 and the King has lost his crown was the last song ? Somehow got changed around.

I Have a Dream and Chiquitita kind of ruin Voulez Vous for me. I'd rather see the full length Summer Night City and Lovelight on the album and save those two as charity singles or whatever.

I Have a Dream and Chiquitita kind of ruin Voulez Vous for me. I'd rather see the full length Summer Night City and Lovelight on the album and save those two as charity singles or whatever.

I've never liked those two songs either.

I've never liked those two songs either.

It seems we all have the same opinion. They are my least favourite songs on the album as well. I don't mind Chiquitta but don't like I have a dream much at all.

I LOVE I Have a Dream but i don't care much for Chiquitta.