Like A Prayer 25th Anniversary

scrapple

AMAZING interview! And I love reading so many positive things from her collaborators about her involvement during the process, she's an amazing songwriter and producer!

And thank you Mattress for that interview as well! :)

If only Warner cared enough to give us a remastered edition. :(

:(

Really it's the one album from a female artist of the MTV era that should get that treatment.

I just don't understand it. :(

Guest Pud Whacker

Madonna Like a Prayer FACTS:

FACTS "Like a Prayer" was written in one day. The entire album was written in less than two weeks. It spent 6 weeks atop the chart.

Madonna's vocals on the songs. "She sang it. It was done...they were just never sung more than once." - Pat Leonard

----

now if i EVER have to hear some of you whiney fans scream that she needs to spend 3 YEARS ON A GODDAMN ALBUM, i will present these facts to you over and over again.

Guest Pud Whacker

If only Warner cared enough to give us a remastered edition. :(

no remastered!!! you lose the sound of the recording.

FACTS "Like a Prayer" was written in one day. The entire album was written in less than two weeks. It spent 6 weeks atop the chart.

Madonna's vocals on the songs. "She sang it. It was done...they were just never sung more than once." - Pat Leonard

----

now if i EVER have to hear some of you whiney fans scream that she needs to spend 3 YEARS ON A GODDAMN ALBUM, i will present these facts to you over and over again.

I don't think I quite got that, could u repeat it? :D

Yeah you usually lose the dynamics and "punch" with these modern remasters. But I'd love some bonus material.

From the wonderful book "Like an icon" by Lucy O'brien

Guy Pratt (bass player) recalls "I remember the first take of my first session with all the band. We played the song "Oh father" once through with Madonna singing. As soon as we finished, she said : "Ok, Jon [drummer Jonathan Moffett], do less of the high hat in the middle eight and more of a fill towards the end. Guy, i want duck's eggs [semibreves] on the end, and chester, bring in your guitar on the second verse..." While singing this song for the first time with us, she noted what each of us had done, and could convey what she wanted in clear, concise english. We ran through it once again, did one take with vocals, once ore with the strings and that was it. I was amazed."

Andrea Crouch (Leader of the Choir on Like a prayer) : His sister was playing tambourine on the track, and for the recording they tried out different rhythms. After a while Madonna stopped and said "Sandra, will you go back to bar thirty-two and do that as she tapped out the rhythm. Years of dance training had given Madonna perfect timing. Crouch was shocked : "Madonna knew what bar it was and we've gone through it just one time. I wouldn't expect her to remember that in a thousand years- I can't do that ! She knows her music ."

Guest Pud Whacker

Mattress - youre the greatest!!! :smooch:

LIKE A PRAYER!!!

this is my original promo vinyl that i got two weeks before the album was released! in those days they would release it to radio. i had a friend that worked at R&R (radio and records) and i always got her promo albums before they were released! xo

tumblr_n2rpyej0Mk1qlycwjo1_r3_1280.jpg

Thank you! I personally don't like the remastered 3 first albums. Original recordings all the way!

From the wonderful book "Like an icon" by Lucy O'brien

Guy Pratt (bass player) recalls "I remember the first take of my first session with all the band. We played the song "Oh father" once through with Madonna singing. As soon as we finished, she said : "Ok, Jon [drummer Jonathan Moffett], do less of the high hat in the middle eight and more of a fill towards the end. Guy, i want duck's eggs [semibreves] on the end, and chester, bring in your guitar on the second verse..." While singing this song for the first time with us, she noted what each of us had done, and could convey what she wanted in clear, concise english. We ran through it once again, did one take with vocals, once ore with the strings and that was it. I was amazed."

Andrea Crouch (Leader of the Choir on Like a prayer) : His sister was playing tambourine on the track, and for the recording they tried out different rhythms. After a while Madonna stopped and said "Sandra, will you go back to bar thirty-two and do that as she tapped out the rhythm. Years of dance training had given Madonna perfect timing. Crouch was shocked : "Madonna knew what bar it was and we've gone through it just one time. I wouldn't expect her to remember that in a thousand years- I can't do that ! She knows her music ."

I love when she gets this kind of praise. I've heard so many people say that she has no talent, and it's just not true. People who has worked with her always talk about her knowledge and attention to details. I'm so happy to have lived in the era of the one and only True Queenâ„¢

Guest Pud Whacker

Thank you! I personally don't like the remastered 3 first albums. Original recordings all the way!

of course!!! :inlove:

----

tumblr_lr6uiqel0X1r2hybuo1_400.gif

wow, i didn't know those things about the album. Vocals in one take, songs written in so little time.

God, those were the times, when people WROTE songs, instead of bringin like 10 writers to come up with a mediocre tune.