Like A Prayer 25th Anniversary

scrapple

Can someone please (once and for all) answer a question about Like A Prayer? On the cover of the record it says " A DIGITAL RECORDING". Does this mean the sound on the record, CD, etc is as good as it gets? Or can it be RE-mastered for a better sound quality? Same for everything POST LAP. In my opinion, for example, "I'm Breathless" could stand a good do-over, if you know what I mean.

Nothing unusual. Likely the first Madonna album to be recorded on digital tape instead of analog.

Happy Birthday, Like A Prayer!

Very few albums have resonated with me for this long. When I was in the darkest era of my life, listening to this album and thinking about how much Madonna had persevered despite the many obstacles in her life helped give me the strength to fight on.

But other than that, a true masterpiece of an album that in some respects, she'll never top (because it's just so magnificent).

oj the UK's Radio Two this morning, they celebrated 25 Years of Like A Prayer by playing Express Yourself, Dear Jessie, Cherish and Like A Prayer for about 15 minutes. Wonderful to hear!

I started listening to the album on the way in to work this morning to celebrate - what an amazing materpiece this album is! Such an emotional rollercoaster she takes you on. Every song has emotion and depth and makes you feel something. To quote the Rolling Stone review of the album "As close to art as pop music gets."

Happy Silver Anniversary LAP!

Nothing unusual. Likely the first Madonna album to be recorded on digital tape instead of analog.

Actually, Like a Virgin was the first Madonna album to be recorded digitally: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep07/articles/classictracks_0907.htm I also read somewhere that it was the first album ever released on CD on the same day as the vinyl, but I don't know if that's true or not. Nice to see Madonna was embracing the future even back in 1984!

Edit (from the article): Nile and I both thought it was very important that the CD should be released simultaneously with the vinyl record, and when this was the case it was the first time it ever happened.

It's sort of funny how the title track has sort of snuck up to possibly become her signature song. For years, Like A Virgin or Vogue were thought to be that by many, but I think Like A Prayer (song) has sort of passed them in terms of longevity.

Ideally I want a 4-disc Like a Prayer Anniversary Edition

DISC 1 - Like a Prayer: The legendary album, restored and remastered.

DISC 2 - Into the Vaults: Outtakes & demos, remastered. (including "Supernatural", "First is a Kiss", "Love Attack" etc.)

DISC 3 - Remixed Prayers: Remixes (selected classic remixes (remastered) and newly commissioned mixes for this release)

DISC 4 - Videos (Blu-Ray): Promotional videos (with Making Of & additional footage), Never Look Behind: Madonna Looks Back Documentary (interviews with Madonna, Pat Leonard and Steve Bray); Pepsi commercial (with Making Of) and the classic VMAs performance of "Express Yourself."

:wow:

Who else remembers discovering essential oils because of Like a Prayer ? Scenting it with Patchouli was another highlight. Not only did it sound brilliant but had a fantastic aroma as well. :laugh:

Ideally I want a 4-disc Like a Prayer Anniversary Edition

DISC 1 - Like a Prayer: The legendary album, restored and remastered.

DISC 2 - Into the Vaults: Outtakes & demos, remastered. (including "Supernatural", "First is a Kiss", "Love Attack" etc.)

DISC 3 - Remixed Prayers: Remixes (selected classic remixes (remastered) and newly commissioned mixes for this release)

DISC 4 - Videos (Blu-Ray): Promotional videos (with Making Of & additional footage), Never Look Behind: Madonna Looks Back Documentary (interviews with Madonna, Pat Leonard and Steve Bray); Pepsi commercial (with Making Of) and the classic VMAs performance of "Express Yourself."

:wow:

GOD i would die.

Who else remembers discovering essential oils because of Like a Prayer ? Scenting it with Patchouli was another highlight. Not only did it sound brilliant but had a fantastic aroma as well. :laugh:

I had no idea what patchouli was until I bought the cassette. Granted I was all of 10 years old, but still. It's one of my favorite EOs to this day!

Madonna just posted this to her Instagram:

7dd0333cb11511e3902e121f8c3e4216_8.jpg

25 yeArs later and I'm still praying! #revolutionoflove #artforfreedom#rebelheart

I love that she's acknowledged the anniversary. :inlove:

I love that she's acknowledged the anniversary. :inlove:

Me too. I would assume she wouldn't even bother (since she hates looking back), but I think she realizes what a pivotal moment this album and era were to her career, and how this particular body of work is so universally acclaimed and respected.

Here are scans from an interview with Paul Zollo taken from the book Songwriters On Songwriting.

This is my favorite interview from the Like A Prayer era conducted in L.A. during a break in filming Dick Tracy.

Enjoy!

SOS0_zps46393962.png

SOS1_zpsbb121df7.png

SOS2_zps7eeee69d.png

SOS3_zpsabf2c68d.png

SOS4_zps2eeaae7b.png

SOS5_zps1dbd382f.png

SOS6_zps8553260f.png

SOS7_zps22b0e7df.png