Hatred of Madonna ... Or not?

Shane

I've stopped reading about her to be honest I just get my news from here or madonnarama because..

tumblr_n08rcrPsmj1sf1evvo1_1280.png

yes she really is so desperate, while i was making that i found a piece about """"how horrible her hands are *shivers*""""

on a feminist website who's last post was about body shaming :semifunny:

also if anybody watches wendy williams don't you find it alarming that she brings up madonna's age in a negative light when she's going to be 50 herself in a few months lol

After seeing that, I think Desperate would be a fantastic title for the new album. But I wouldn't mind Excuses.

First off: The "hatred" towards Madonna right now does NOT compare to what she had to endure after the 'SEX' book. The events of 1992-94 (Being labeled as a "Publicity Whore" by Time magazine, "Body of Evidence", Entertainment Weekly, People, US magazines saying she was "over" and or "go away", SPIN magazine saying she was NOT an important artist and "has worn out her welcome on planet Earth", the David Letterman backlash, the "I HATE Madonna" book, the general and daily vitriol towards her from basically everybody etc, etc) nearly destroyed Madonna. Madonna herself said that during that period she "could not open a magazine or a newspaper and not read something incredibly scathing about myself, I did feel like I reached an all time low as far as the cruelty of humanity, I never saw so much ugliness, just in terms of what was directed at me". Ultimately, we all remember what Madonna said in the liner notes for "Bedtime Stories". I think that said it all for a lot of us.

As for a lot of the "fans" that are turning away from her right now? So what? Madonna has been through it all when it comes to hate. So called fans are hating on Madonna for her "grillz", spending too much time out of the studio, dating younger guys, blah blah. Maybe this time, Madonna is challenging her "choir". Perhaps to see how open minded WE are. Or, maybe she just doesn't give a fuck. Either way, she's going to do what she wants, regardless of how anyone feels.

If she found a cure for cancer, media will still drag her and say she's desperate. Fuck them!!

Let's enjoy being fans here. Fuck the bullshit media.

exactly, nothing new here. a few people here care way to much about madonna's public perception. they can fuck off too.

I've had similar conversations with friends, who are very quick to trot the old, not-very-well-thought-out line: 'I like her older stuff...' When I ask what they mean, they point to The Immaculate Collection. Understandable I suppose - for people of my age (mid to late 30s) - as these songs represent more than just a collection of songs - most of them are inextricably linked to memories of childhood, etc.

Then I ask them if they liked Erotica, Deeper and Deeper, Take a Bow, Secret, Frozen, Ray of Light, Music, Hung Up, 4Minutes... Usually it's a resounding yes. Most people like MDNA when they hear it. Her success is also the reason for her dislike: she never did what Michael Jackson did and replicate the same sound for about 20 years. She's always changed from one album to the next, so it stands to reason that some albums will be loved and yet the next will potentially leave the same listener cold. When MDNA came out, I was playing Gang Bang in my car and my friend sniffed and said, 'It's not Like A Prayer, is it?' My response? Thank fuck. I love LAP, but I don't want another. I like the changes. It's what's kept me interested since 1984.

The age aspect is interesting - most of my mates who don't like what she's doing these days are the ones bound by social convention and are stuck in their own past. It's not that they simply dislike Madonna's recent output - they don't relate to music in the charts these days, full stop.

Personally, I don't know how people can be bothered to hate celebrities who they don't actually know. Without wanting to sound supercilious, I can't be arsed. If I don't like someone or dislike a song or an album, I really don't let it bother me. Move on, listen to something else.

Also - while I'm on one - I find the whole, 'She's ruining her legacy!' bullshit really quite laughable. I can imagine it now: 'I used to Love the Erotica album, but since Madonna sang with Miley Cyrus, I can't bear it. RID-IC.

Also - while I'm on one - I find the whole, 'She's ruining her legacy!' bullshit really quite laughable. I can imagine it now: 'I used to Love the Erotica album, but since Madonna sang with Miley Cyrus, I can't bear it. RID-IC.

hahahaha! so true! those "fans" always threatening they will return their "Madonna Fan card" deserve to become the worst thing in this world: a Gaga fan. Cause they don't belong in here.

a lot of people hate her but a lot of people are also fascinated by her. i remember that timor steffens interview. everyone in the audience was talking in the background and the interviewer brings up t he name "madonna" and boom.. every single person is quiet. *silent room*. like i already said, a lot of people who go to her shows say shit about her and i don't think they only go for the music either, it's to see an icon.. one of the few people who still is a phenomenon and a mystery after a 30+ career. i think it's also her intimidating side that people are attracted by. just look at my siggy.. i think that shows it all. no one is like her.

So they'll spend good money on tickets for someone they don't like?

but a lot of people go to concerts just to see an icon and for the experience. half of my family wanted to attend her SS tour when she came to our country and they probably only have 1 cd in their music collection. it's because she's exclusive and it's so rare to see her. it's special and a once in a life time experience. Even a lot of M fans who talk on forums say the meanest shit about M but are the first to get their hands on PIT tickets or see her like 10 times. the people i talked about in particular were probably disappointed with the show and therefore had to take it out on her arms, but believe me many people go to shows of artists they're just fascinated about and have on their mental "artists you have to see at least once in your life" checklist. they're part of the "casual fans". of course they like some of her music but most of them probably only know the biggest hits. if I'd have gone to a U2 or MJ concert it would be the same for me and I'd be part of the casual fans group. I'd go for the experience, the hits I know, and for MJ in particular i'd have gone to see an icon.

I don't understand when people here say she's in some kind of pinnacle of hatred...really?...I could swear to the lords of darkness that this shyt comes basically from the US perspective (plus the most notorious UK whimpy cocks Smelton and Puke Morgan) and the sheep watching tv following those stupid shows where people bring down others...some "for fun"...how dare people who haven't walked the walk bash others?...it's so mediocre and vile..but what I like is that Madonna just doesn't give a shyt...she will always push buttons...whether it is perceived as 'appropriate' or not is subjective and she knows that....and those fans who say "oh she should just write good songs...oh she should stay away from IG...oh she should do this and that..."...really?...go live ur own lives and let the woman live hers...is not like she's slitting throats out there, or even worse, being a lazy old star living from her past achievements, she's making new achievements every year...and she won't stop which will most likely make some people furious and anxious :laugh:

tumblr_inline_mm3i9kSLHl1qz4rgp.gif

:bow::bow::bow:

Not that I'm condoning it, and I trully feel that Madonna thrives in this environment. As fucked up as it is, she wouldn't be the artis she is today had she had a free pass, to be a revel you need something to revel against. It's like she's a perpetual underdog. I feel that she reaches the people that need to be reached and in reality the haters haven't hurt her bottom line. That being said, this week's comments really bothered me, I event went on a mini rant on my Instagram, and I'm not one to do those things. I see things for what they are, and had to accept the fact that without the haters they'd be no Madonna as we know her today.

If Madonna would've stopped after IC or even Sex/Erotica and everything from 2012 onward were just the same as it is, Madonna would be getting her ass kissed like none other right now. The MDNA album would be labeled brilliant and the tour would be seen as revolutionary as Blond Ambition. Sadly, the fact that she's managed to stick around all these years and her success (in the grand scheme of things) has never really faltered so therefore she pays a price for that. Instead of going away and coming back reminding people of the Madonna/themselves of "the good old days", she's aged right along with us and has remained under the magnifying glass. It's fucked up how that works......we (as a society) seem to celebrate those we can pity on some level, Madonna has always DEMANDED we NOT pity her.....imagine the pity Gaga would've demanded (and received) for falling off a horse or getting the shit beaten out of her for adopting a dying child, Madonna doesn't play that bullshit. The fact of the matter is though, it's always been the way it is now. We just have more access to the opinion of every asshole under the sun thanks to social media and the tabloid industry in general which is a much bigger beast than it was in the 80's and 90's. Madonnas career wouldn't be the same without the detractors. In some twisted way, they are as integral to her success as we are as diehard loons.

Madonna is right up there with religion & politics when it comes to divisive conversation topics.

My circle of immediate friends consider themselves 'casual fans' but the majority of people I encounter are shocked when I express my love for Madonna. I've steered many conversations about M in a positive direction BUT part of me enjoys the strong (usually misguided) negative reactions she garners. Really LISTEN to what people say about her; take note of the crazy shit they assume to be fact. "But she DID force Britney to make out with her. It wasn't consensual."

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Madonna is right up there with religion & politics when it comes to divisive conversation topics.

My circle of immediate friends consider themselves 'casual fans' but the majority of people I encounter are shocked when I express my love for Madonna. I've steered many conversations about M in a positive direction BUT part of me enjoys the strong (usually misguided) negative reactions she garners. Really LISTEN to what people say about her; take note of the crazy shit they assume to be fact. "But she DID force Britney to make out with her. It wasn't consensual."

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:lmao: ive noticed that too. the shit they believe is so ridiculous. and it often comes from intelligent people. people lose their common sense when they read gossip magazines ;)

She's always been hated!this really is not new,I have,somewhere,articles from 1990 (mayb even deom 1989) saying her prime was behind her,she was over,she should be a housewife and a mom...and of course,there's always been fans upset with her!if internet existed in 1991,I was so ungry because rescue me didn't have a video,because the songs in TIC sound cheap compairing to the originals...and of course,how could I forget when I stopped liking her in 1986!!!!!she looked like a chubby boy in PDP's video!!!and with the short hair!I wanted MY madonna back!!!!she eventually appeared in la isla's video,and I forgave her again...until she started looking like a muscled man in her 1987's tour!!!!!

What I'm trying to say is that this has been like this since the beginning,and she's still there...

I rjust remembered that I have an smash hits from may 1991,where they talked about madonna looking old

I think the problem is that madonna reminds them about their own age! How do they look on the reality,not on their minds,and how could they look!

It happenwd once to me:I saw the reflectipn of myself on the window of the underground,without noticing that it was me,and then I realized that grown up man was me...the image that we have pf ourselves is not the real one.these haters in their 40-50-60's like to think bout themselves as they looked in the 80s.and suddenly madonna appears in 2014,looking very good,but not 25 anymore,and they don't like to be reminded of their own age and look...is easier to look at fresh mear,and rhink that they are still one of them

Guest Xanthium

I love all the opposition. Madonna wouldn't be the artist she is today without them. And she knows it. That's why she thanked them in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame speech.

Guest Not4Pussies

Not that I'm condoning it, and I trully feel that Madonna thrives in this environment. As fucked up as it is, she wouldn't be the artis she is today had she had a free pass, to be a revel you need something to revel against. It's like she's a perpetual underdog. I feel that she reaches the people that need to be reached and in reality the haters haven't hurt her bottom line. That being said, this week's comments really bothered me, I event went on a mini rant on my Instagram, and I'm not one to do those things. I see things for what they are, and had to accept the fact that without the haters they'd be no Madonna as we know her today.

I feel the same. The Grammy/Miley comments bothered me as well. I did post about hatred, ageism on my social media. It really got to me when other times it usually doesn't.

So one of her crimes is simply that she has lasted, which we would applaud in a doctor, teacher, truck driver, lawyer or any other career.

MJ, Whitney, George Michael, Janet, Cyndi etc. are earlier for people to accept because they either died, imploded, or stopped having hits when they "should have."

Okay, what about the fact that Helen Mirren just twerkd at some Harvard event a couple of days ago. Is the media calling her desperate too? Ageism is real. But in Madonna's case, I believe is worse.

I love her btw and think she's a fantastic actress and complete badass.

ku-xlarge.gif

Everytime soomebody ask me about my love about madonna...I really liked her in the 80's,but she wasn't my favourite artist from that decade.I really liked her job in the 90s,00s and of course now,but she's not my favourite crom eqchbof these decades...but the thing is that the other artists disappear,die,got crazy,or worst,boring...annd she's still great!

I was always very aware about how much people disliked M. I have worked with people & had friends who really couldn't stand her at all!

I also know at least several people who refuse to see her live again because she was very late to go on stage or the air conditioning was turned off. It bothers me a little, but part of what makes M so interesting is that she brings out strong reactions in people.

Madonna really isn't that hates, I work with all straight people and mostly men and they generally like or at least RESPECT Madonna and know that she's a legend

Some people at work know I love her and some don't, but mostly everyone agrees that she's talented and that she could sing.

Even the co workers who said that she should retire, at least acknowledge that she's a legend and an icon and another thing I noticed is that a lot of people at my job at various ages have at least ONE Madonna song on their Ipod., that means when all is said and done it's the music that endures.

There's one older conservative Christian woman that I work with and she told me that Madonna is one of the most talented performers in the world but she isn't crazy about all the sex stuff she also LOVED her in Evita.

Someofshane nobody's here for Cyndi, she hasn't been a successful pop artist since the late '80s, none of the mainstream general population is even aware that she still makes music and some of the younger people I work with don't even know who she is!