Hatred of Madonna ... Or not?

Shane

I feel like a lot of people who hate her, once loved her in the past. They just arn't happy with the work she's put out in the latter half of her career. They only want her to do the things they want her to do, not what she wants.

^ kinda true and of course once Madonna dies these same people will pray her and remember her legacy.

Same thing with MJ, who was hated WAY worse than Madonna in his later years.,

people who don't even like her go see her shows.. the comments I had to hear walking back from werchter 2009 of old women behind me.. and my 19 year old cousin "ew her arms are so gross". (and she's an intelligent young woman..)

people who don't even like her go see her shows.. the comments I had to hear walking back from werchter 2009 of old women behind me.. and my 19 year old cousin "ew her arms are so gross".

(and she's an intelligent young woman..)

So they'll spend good money on tickets for someone they don't like?

Guest eroticerotic

M has always been hated. Its a weaker love.

We just live in a shamed, uneducated , repressed society as the norm. Anyone who strays from that, learns from the past instead of holding onto it, will be hated by insecure people.

It's part of her appeal that she is not liked by everyone and it helps keep her fan base strong and supportive.

Lady Gaga for example is trying to make herself out to be hated but the truth is people just aren't interested. People may say she looks like a man or whatever but she was never truly able to push buttons or get everyone interested the way everyone is interested in Madonna.

People also fear the Madonna. I know she couldn't care less about Piers Morgan, but wouldn't it be fun if she just walked up to him sometime and was like "why do you run your mouth about me, bitch?"

Please, settle down drama queens, this is not a backlash phase. It's more of a disinterest phase. Anyone who is old enough to remember the SEX backlash, knows that this current phase is a drop in the ocean!

During SEX, she was just as hated as Hitler. Durning American Life she was hated just as much as Osama Bin Ladin. MDNA phase she is hated as much as that fat chick from little miss sunshine.

Madonna just need to put them grills down, stop wasting time on selfies and hana montana and pick up a pencil and start writing good songs again. That's all, then the world will love her again

She has everybody wrapped around her finger. People truly hated her in 1987, there were long articles on how she was an untalented slut, a product. I remember french newspaper Liberation giving away for free the horrible issue they had with her on the cover where they were slagging her off at the entrance of her Parc de Sceaux concert. I was 10 and i was shocked at the vitriolic 5 pages on her.

She was universally slagged so many times we don't even remember it . 20 or 30 years later people think that what she did then was brilliant but Bedtime stories was considered horrible and a failure at the timeof its release (even though critics loved it). Smash Hits in the UK called her Grandma when they reported the Girlie Show, slagging her off. Rolling Stone called Ray of Light boring in their end of the year review. She was slagged off for having Lourdes with Carlos , they called him a sperm donor. Let's had every single movie she starred in to the list of times people were slagging her off.

But with time people are calling her past work genius, wonderful adding "compared to what she's doing today" or "that's when she had talent" when they were saying the same exact things then. Time is on Madonna's side.... even though it goes so slowly :)

I also think it's true for a lot of popular artists that they also receive a lot of hate with the internet.

Google Taylor Swift or Beyonce and you'll be Stunned with the number of haters that they have, there are blogs dedicated to Taylor with people calling her a "product l" that can't sing.

There are even websites dedicated to hating the Beatles and calling them "the biggest frauds in music history"

I follow Rolling Stone magazine on fb and once in a while I will look at the comments and it's always the same negative comments about the magazine, but these people follow it! The best is The Onion when people get mad about their articles, unaware that it is a joke.

Why do you guys read the comments? It's like you're asking to be disappointed... Why do you care so much what a nobody thinks of M? Because that's what they are: nobodies, faceless ignorants that hide behind a screen to let their own frustrations out.

Same goes for the tabloids and celebrity blogs. Do you think their opinion is actually relevant? If Vanity Fair or Spin or The Times put an article about her, I'm gonna read it because their word is actually one that can count for a discussion. The rest: FLUSH!

53962-mila-kunis-you-really-need-to-RVHY

After the Grammys people were talking about the intensity of public hatred for Madonna, its general tone of hypocrisy, etc. And I agree, but have you ever noticed how easily the tide turns.

Case in point (and I have had many of these experiences over the years), I am invited to dinner at my neighbors' house last night. They are a very liberal hetero couple in their early 50s. Only other guests were myself, and a female cousin of the female hostess who is probably late 40s. The Grammys come up, the male host starts to say something about Madonna as the female cousin makes that low sigh of disapproval. I immediately grab the bull by the horns and exclaim "I thought Madonna was amazing! I love her!" They all give me the look I have seen so many times, where they politely try to comprehend that someone in their life who is sane, smart, professional, is claiming to be a huge fan of ... MADONNA? Then I tell them how she has inspired me since I was 6, pretty much saved my life, etc, and suddenly all three of them are chiming in: "I loves her in Evita!" "I always loved Vogue!" "She really is a legend" Hahahaha. Happens to me often. You know damn well if I had not been there, the talk would have revolved around how awful she is! The funny thing is, in these instances, I always feel like the positive comments reflect what they REALLY think.

I guess I feel like people think they are supposed to hate Madonna, and they just go with the crowd. When a real person in their life bothers to say "no, she's great," it frees them to say what they really feel. Or maybe I am just too positive, and they just don't want to offend me lmao.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm not really the type of person to bring up like my favorite artists/movie stars or anything because I think it's a tad silly. But inventively, these people come up in every day conversations. So when she does come up, I often just chime in a few words about how great I think she is and always has been. It's interesting to watch the conversation become something positive when it was surely headed in the other direction a few moments ago.

Also, I had no idea there was another member from Maine on here! Cool, haha.

I have been a huge Madonna fan since 1990 when I was 13. She has always been somewhat brutalized for every step. She was old and haggard in 1994 when Secret came out LOL.

I always compare her to Hilary Clinton - the basic rules of decency/fairness do not apply to them - I would even say more so to Madonna. Madonna has kissed a black man, cast herself as a homosexual advocate and had children out of wedlock...all singular things that make her subject for ire. They can be put down, diminished, spat upon, hated, scorned, ridiculed and it is completely acceptable. These are the only two women I see this happen to. It says alot about who they are, how they live and that there is NEVER a man pulling their strings. They simply live their life.

For those who think this is "new"...it is not. There are of course waves of popularity and respect...but even in those times she has incredibly horrible things written about HER...not her music, films or projects...but HER.

Get used to it. She is.

AGE OF THE INTERNET. Every cunt with a keyboard can voice their opinion. It MAY SEEM like the hatred is bigger, but in reality, it's just more accessible. Nothing has changed. LOOK at the gross of MDNA TOUR and ALBUM.She's a legend. People know it. Is she being fully respected for her contribution to music and pop culture? NO, of course not. But she NEVER has.

Internet may give the impression that negativity is more widespread, but I do not believe it is as bad as in the wake of the Sex book.

As for the thread question and case study: very recognizable. I think a lot of people do not actively voice positive feelings for her out if fear of being ridiculed. With prevailing sexist and ageist attitudes, it's easier and safer to take cheap shots. And M's heterogenous image being the opposite of a vulnerable helpless sweetheart, probably many people don't feel the need to defend her. Openly championing Madonna creates a safe environment in which people dare to open up a bit about their true feelings.

And that still leaves armies of people who still despise her with a fiery passion with a passion as the Capitalist Queen of Soulless Perpetual Self-promotion. :chuckle:

Guest whatatramp

I've stopped reading about her to be honest I just get my news from here or madonnarama because..

tumblr_n08rcrPsmj1sf1evvo1_1280.png

yes she really is so desperate, while i was making that i found a piece about """"how horrible her hands are *shivers*""""

on a feminist website who's last post was about body shaming :semifunny:

also if anybody watches wendy williams don't you find it alarming that she brings up madonna's age in a negative light when she's going to be 50 herself in a few months lol

I think Madonna gets crap about her age because for a lot of people they thought she made it by selling sex this whole time so that's she's still around with a career is confusing to them.

I have been a fan since the late 80s and nothing has really changed IMO. She always got good reviews for her music and shows (and still does), but the average person just sees sex and "publicity stunts". After Evita and Ray Of Light I noticed people started accepting her as a legend, and they still do. So in that sense things improved.

Thanks to whoever posted the Sara Gilbert clip; she rocks! And here is yet another example: notice the audience claps loudly every time someone defends Madonna, less so for the put downs.

Did Kelly Ripa speak up this week, or does she still have a show? She was always a huge fan. And didn't J. McCarthy used to be, or was that Carmen Electra?

After the Grammys people were talking about the intensity of public hatred for Madonna, its general tone of hypocrisy, etc. And I agree, but have you ever noticed how easily the tide turns.

Case in point (and I have had many of these experiences over the years), I am invited to dinner at my neighbors' house last night. They are a very liberal hetero couple in their early 50s. Only other guests were myself, and a female cousin of the female hostess who is probably late 40s. The Grammys come up, the male host starts to say something about Madonna as the female cousin makes that low sigh of disapproval. I immediately grab the bull by the horns and exclaim "I thought Madonna was amazing! I love her!" They all give me the look I have seen so many times, where they politely try to comprehend that someone in their life who is sane, smart, professional, is claiming to be a huge fan of ... MADONNA? Then I tell them how she has inspired me since I was 6, pretty much saved my life, etc, and suddenly all three of them are chiming in: "I loves her in Evita!" "I always loved Vogue!" "She really is a legend" Hahahaha. Happens to me often. You know damn well if I had not been there, the talk would have revolved around how awful she is! The funny thing is, in these instances, I always feel like the positive comments reflect what they REALLY think.

I guess I feel like people think they are supposed to hate Madonna, and they just go with the crowd. When a real person in their life bothers to say "no, she's great," it frees them to say what they really feel. Or maybe I am just too positive, and they just don't want to offend me lmao.

I think you make a very good point. It has always been "fashionable" to hate Madonna. But seriously, it's not just the people in this forum who buy her records and concert tickets, it's millions of people. She's not as trendy anymore, and she's practically a fixture of the pop world, but people just don't know what to do with her sometimes. I'm not saying she isn't worthy of criticism now and then (she definitely has her stumbles), but the hatred she gets is mostly because her casual fans just don't vocalize their support.

I might also add that people say "the tide turns so quickly" but this is just a perception of our media-obsessed culture. Four or five good articles and supposedly "the public loves her again". New flash: Most people don't give much thought to pop stars. They are trying to pay their bills. If she released another Confessions she'd be back on top. Barring child molestation, you can always recover in the pop world. Fuck, even a relative nobody like Lionel Richie made a come back in 2012.

Guest bluejean

Her career is very broad and she's been around a long time so peoples opinions about her have changed through the years. And not everyone is a loon, some people like things about her and they dislike things about her. But it's easy to focus on the negative when she's not doing anything that reminds them of the positive. The Super Bowl brought back a lot of that Madonna love cos it was like a celebration of her career.

It was the same with MJ. Everyone went on and on about he was a pedo and a freak but then when he died all the news footage and tribute reminded them of all the things they liked about him. So suddenly all these haters were claiming they'd always been fans.

I find a lot of people have this idea you either like an artist or you don't. Most people will have a variety of different opinions on their whole body of work. There are people that like Madonna yet feel she can't sing, or that didn't like Hard Candy but loved Ray of Light. They might think she looks plastic and old but they still like her work. Or they may love her music but dislike her as a person. It's not as black and white as "love" or "hate."

Guest whatatramp

People like things about her and they dislike things about her. But it's easy to focus on the negative when she's not doing anything that reminds them of the positive. The Super Bowl brought back a lot of that Madonna love cos it was like a celebration of her career.

It was the same with MJ. Everyone went on and on about he was a pedo and a freak but then when he died all the news footage and tribute reminded them of all the things they liked about him. So suddenly all these haters were claiming they'd always been fans.

I do think thats a fair point for example no body had any problem with the Super Bowl mostly, but the ageism and overall misogyny in the media is disgusting. I saw no body talking about how crap Ringo Starr's grammy performance was or how Elton John's desperate for attention when he collaborates with other artists.

I do think MJ is a whole other issue though

It's not even just with musicians i've read articles where the male politician "stated" but the female politician "raised her voice"

it's disgusting

I don't understand when people here say she's in some kind of pinnacle of hatred...really?...I could swear to the lords of darkness that this shyt comes basically from the US perspective (plus the most notorious UK whimpy cocks Smelton and Puke Morgan) and the sheep watching tv following those stupid shows where people bring down others...some "for fun"...how dare people who haven't walked the walk bash others?...it's so mediocre and vile..but what I like is that Madonna just doesn't give a shyt...she will always push buttons...whether it is perceived as 'appropriate' or not is subjective and she knows that....and those fans who say "oh she should just write good songs...oh she should stay away from IG...oh she should do this and that..."...really?...go live ur own lives and let the woman live hers...is not like she's slitting throats out there, or even worse, being a lazy old star living from her past achievements, she's making new achievements every year...and she won't stop which will most likely make some people furious and anxious :laugh:

tumblr_inline_mm3i9kSLHl1qz4rgp.gif

I don't understand when people here say she's in some kind of pinnacle of hatred...really?...I could swear to the lords of darkness that this shyt comes basically from the US perspective (plus the most notorious UK whimpy cocks Smelton and Puke Morgan) and the sheep watching tv following those stupid shows where people bring down others...some "for fun"...how dare people who haven't walked the walk bash others?...it's so mediocre and vile..but what I like is that Madonna just doesn't give a shyt...she will always push buttons...whether it is perceived as 'appropriate' or not is subjective and she knows that....and those fans who say "oh she should just write good songs...oh she should stay away from IG...oh she should do this and that..."...really?...go live ur own lives and let the woman live hers...is not like she's slitting throats out there, or even worse, being a lazy old star living from her past achievements, she's making new achievements every year...and she won't stop which will most likely make some people furious and anxious :laugh:

tumblr_inline_mm3i9kSLHl1qz4rgp.gif

:clap::clap:

Madonna; 55 still not doing what society expect her and women to do or be. I wouldn't have it any other way even though sometimes it makes me cringe at least she's true to herself. She made people cringe when she dated (or pretended to) women, black men, when she was hanging out with the gays etc....all these things that are (more) accepted today. She never changed views on the subjects that mattered to her (fighting the misogynistic and chauvinistic society) by complying and being subtle.