Did Madonna throw MIA Under The Bus?

Sloane

IMO, Janet's mistake wasn't to pull that stunt, which was obviously planned (she just happened to have that metal thing on her breast, yeah right). Her huge error was to act like it was all an accident, insulting our intelligence in the process. If she had just owned up to it and made a statement something like "Why is a bared breast such a big deal, especially compared to real problems like war and racism?" she would've been criticized but she would ultimately be given street cred and grudging respect (Exhibit A: Madonna and the Sex book). But the whole cop-out and the subsequent subpar albums dragged her career down big time.

And Justin was clearly in on it, too. The night of the Super Bowl, he was laughing about the whole thing in on-camera interviews. It was only later that he turned all somber and regretful when the situation was snowballing.

Did M.I.A. throw Madonna under the bus trying to cause controversy and derail the Queen's performance?

Exactly.Madonna gave M.I.A. an incredible,once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (the chance to perform before a massive audience) and she almost derailed Madonna's show.I like M.I.A but I'm not too happy with what she did.After Janet's Nipplegate scandal,she should have known better.

MIA makes some great music but I thought the "stunt" was stupid and childish. Like doing it "because I can" and not for any actual reason. Had it been her half-time show, who cares...but when you're pretty much there only under invitation from the actual act I think that is pretty tacky and embarrassing (for both parties).

Re: M.I.A. ... I agree with JazzyJan... It didn't offend me, but I don't think it was the appropriate moment for it. Madonna had gone on record about the content of the show ... she notoriously runs a tight ship with her shows, and so I'm sure she expected everyone to toe the line and stick to the rehearsed choreo, wardrobe, movements, etc. There is an extent to which anyone in the show breaking with that reflects poorly on Madonna, because she was the headliner. But then we know other people are responsible for their own actions, too.

(On the other hand ... obviously people knew M.I.A. made that gesture in the music video. Surely someone should have been ready for such an instance. I saw an interview M.I.A. did in November of 2013, and the whole lawsuit drama is STILL going on. CRAZY that it is not resolved. She said it's basically "her finger" vs. the editor's finger ... who is at fault? Her or him? Because there was a 7-second delay, and obviously they tried some censoring/abortive measure, but their efforts failed (hence the glitch in the feed we all saw). Her finger could have been blurred out, or they could have switched camera angles. It's not to say she wasn't in the wrong for doing it, but where does the legal responsibility lie? Apparently the FCC has fined the NFL, the NFL has turned around and sued NBC, and NBC has turned around and sued M.I.A. for the $1.5 million. So, even if Madonna has no problem with the gesture, she's not going to take responsibility for it and get sued, when it wasn't agreed upon in the first place. M.I.A. went "rogue" and so now she's in some hot water over it. That's not Madonna throwing her under the bus. She potentially could defend M.I.A. more, but ... I think she isn't criticizing her very harshly either.)

If she had just owned up to it and made a statement something like "Why is a bared breast such a big deal, especially compared to real problems like war and racism?" she would've been criticized but she would ultimately be given street cred and grudging respect (Exhibit A: Madonna and the Sex book). But the whole cop-out and the subsequent subpar albums dragged her career down big time.

I don't know if I can agree that it would have gone down any differently if she just owned up to it ... comparing this to the Sex book is quite different. The Sex book was not to be sold to minors and was sealed in the protective wrapper. Madonna was very clear that she was dealing with adult themes and accepted that some parents would not want their children exposed to that. The SuperBowl, on the other hand, is an event with a very large intergenerational audience. Whether the nipple "should" be considered offensive or not, an entertainer should also have the sense to know that the audience for this event is too large and too mixed to take that risk. Yes, a nipple feeds an infant, but .... sorry, Justin wasn't an infant trying to nurse. As others have mentioned, the lyric is "gonna have you naked by the end of this song" and that's a very sexualized context, not an innocent breast-feeding context, let's be real. Plus, the whole notion of the male just ripping off a female's clothing isn't exactly acceptable either. Not in the context of a half-time show where lots of kids/families will be watching.

I don't think it's hypocritical to say the JML video or Sex book is appropriate when a parent can decide a child is mature enough to understand the themes, but find the Janet/Timberlake half-time show incident unacceptable.

at same time when mia did middlefinger madonna took the pose that looks like huuuge middlefinger....i dont think she didnt knew...it is also the way how to increase comments on certain performance...

The photo you posted sort of proves the opposite. From Madonna's posture and position, it would have been impossible for her to have seen M.I.A.'s finger flip during the performance. And her pose does not really resemble a middle finger.

To be honest, I didn't even notice the middle-finger moment when I watched it the first time. None of my family did, either. I did notice the screen went fuzzy for a second, but it didn't look like they were censoring something. It looked more like a technical difficulty.

I noticed it, but my family did not... and I know several other people who didn't catch it, either. It wasn't until it was pointed out in the press the next day that there was widespread awareness. (I wonder if it is Madonna fans -- who obviously all watched the music video before the Super Bowl and thus were predisposed to know that M.I.A. flips off the camera during her cameo verse -- who more readily picked up the gesture and the general public just saw her moving her hands and posturing the way rappers do when they're rapping.)

It's weird that such a fuss is made by a single gesture. MIA gave the finger, so what. I'm sure in the commercials there was shown negative behaviour like "if you are beautiful you are better" or something like that, that is far worse for children than a finger.

The same with Janitor. I recall that a woman tried to sue because she was shocked by the nilpple! A WOMAN! hahahaha.

at same time when mia did middlefinger madonna took the pose that looks like huuuge middlefinger....i dont think she didnt knew...it is also the way how to increase comments on certain performance...

Madonna-performs-during-the-Super-Bowl-X

You think that resembles a middle finger? :lol: What kind of illuminati bullshit is this?

So she's a dummy dressed by someone else. She does not even check her own bra ? Do you really believe that ? Watch the cup again, there never was a bra. The problem is not showing her nipple, the reaction was so silly, the problem was and still is (because it really turned me off Janet whom i liked) the lie. It's because she lied that the video was played on repeat and people had and still have debates about did she ? Or Did she not ? She should have stood by her decision and action like a grown person, she made the situation worst with the lie. I wanted her to say i'm sorry for the ones i offended but i did it on purpose and i did not know a female nipple was such a problem; we are too puritans and nipples are what fed all humans from the moment we were born not that wardrobe malfunction shit.

Agree.