Did M have second thoughts about putting 'Love Spent' on the album?

ryan

I don't get how some of you said that Guy was rich way before Madonna, her films had an acceptable Box Office, from his 5 films in the Madonna Era, 3 were flops. Sherlock Holmes was after the divorce.

And reading his bio, it says that he was earching for investors for his first film who only had a budget of 1.85M so, if he had so much money he could have afford it, even if the project was risky.

I get that he has a relation with the royals but i don't think that he was super rich, maybe like 30M on his own? I'm pretty sure that since he married her, he didn't spent anything.

People don't just plough their own money into movie projects. Madonna has hundreds of millions and could make films left, right and centre on that basis but she doesn't. They look for backers. Most films won't return a profit so it's madness to pay for a whole film yourself.

And I think £30million can be considered fairly rich!

Interesting about the origins of Love Spent though. It sounds like it was definitely not written about Guy and she just did her usual of changing a song to fit her - vocally and lyrically. Change a word, get a third!

Guest Rachelle of London

Exactly! Billionaires don't invest all their money in films. Guy made his first film when he was. What 28? What 28 year old would have the money to finance his own blockbuster film. Despite "only" having £30 m. :lmao: having £30m personal fortune in your 20s is also a great sum of money, wish I had that

Guest Rachelle of London

Just googled he has a personal fortune of £60m and another £50m on assets which includes property and businesses. He's clearly not as rich as M but he defo ain't poor

Far too many people (fans and detractors alike) try to dismiss Madonna's involvement in her songwriting, to the point where some even claim that Madonna's co-writers are lying when they discuss her contributions (!!). It's incredibly frustrating. Priscilla's vocals in the acoustic version would never have fit the album version, so that in itself shows how different the demo must have been to the final version. What we can assert with confidence (based on what we know from interviews) is that Madonna reworked the melody and changed the lyrics enough for the original writer to comment that they were "totally flipped". Does this warrant a writer's credit? Absolutely! Has Madonna claimed to have written the song by herself? Not even remotely. Of course, for some, it will still be easier to believe that she changed a word and claimed the bulk of the credit.

It would be great to hear a demo of this one day!

Thank you and to everyone else who's insight is so needed on Madonna forums. I can't even tell you.

Far too many people (fans and detractors alike) try to dismiss Madonna's involvement in her songwriting, to the point where some even claim that Madonna's co-writers are lying when they discuss her contributions (!!). It's incredibly frustrating. Priscilla's vocals in the acoustic version would never have fit the album version, so that in itself shows how different the demo must have been to the final version. What we can assert with confidence (based on what we know from interviews) is that Madonna reworked the melody and changed the lyrics enough for the original writer to comment that they were "totally flipped". Does this warrant a writer's credit? Absolutely! Has Madonna claimed to have written the song by herself? Not even remotely. Of course, for some, it will still be easier to believe that she changed a word and claimed the bulk of the credit.

It would be great to hear a demo of this one day!

Carta, it never ceases to amaze me the way that people just dismiss Madonna's talents as a singer and song-writer. I can't count the times I have read glowing praise of her abilities from highly respected and talented song writers, producers and musicians. She has even written several of her songs by herself. - Burning up, Lucky star for example. She always acknowledges the people that she has collaborated with as well. Yet her owns fans keep denying her ability and input.

Just googled he has a personal fortune of £60m and another £50m on assets which includes property and businesses. He's clearly not as rich as M but he defo ain't poor

madonna money and properties included? :chuckle:

Guest Rachelle of London

madonna money and properties included? :chuckle:

The 50m was properties made up from his settlement. The 60m was revenue he made from his films. Doesn't actually include money he had from before. Saying that the house or estate he grew up in just sold for £15m

Interesting about the origins of Love Spent though. It sounds like it was definitely not written about Guy and she just did her usual of changing a song to fit her - vocally and lyrically. Change a word, get a third!

Et tu, Jonski?! This is exactly what I was talking about before :( Her "usual" is to write the lyrics and melody.

It's no wonder the general public gives Madonna no credit for her songwriting abilities when fans who are big enough to post regularly on a message board don't.

Carta, it never ceases to amaze me the way that people just dismiss Madonna's talents as a singer and song-writer. I can't count the times I have read glowing praise of her abilities from highly respected and talented song writers, producers and musicians. She has even written several of her songs by herself. - Burning up, Lucky star for example. She always acknowledges the people that she has collaborated with as well. Yet her owns fans keep denying her ability and input.

Indeed. There are countless examples of her collaborators praising her for her work, right from Stephen Bray through to Julie Frost (who was probably one of the last people to write with her, since "Masterpiece" was a late addition to W./E. and was probably written quite late in the MDNA recording process). In spite of all of this, though, someone will assert regularly that she really doesn't do a lot in terms of the creation of her songs. It's not as though she's claiming sole credit for these collaborations (just because her name is listed first doesn't mean that she is the primary songwriter or receives the majority of the royalties). She always gives her collaborators due credit.