Did M have second thoughts about putting 'Love Spent' on the album?

ryan

Guest bluejean

Unfortunately I think that was true that the song was almost entirely written by other people. Can anyone remember the source though? Was it legit?

I LOVE Love Spent so much! i thought she wrote it herself.

Hopefully she'll be smart enough to sign a prenup if she marries again. It's disgusting how much of her hard earned money he got to walk away with. Perhaps he did it out of revenge, or simply because he could, who knows. If Christopher Ciccone wrote his tell all book after the divorce, we might have found out.

Unfortunately I think that was true that the song was almost entirely written by other people. Can anyone remember the source though? Was it legit?

madonna sang this but wrote mainly by others. worst track on myna. soulless. but the live performance of this was astonishingly moving. a masterpiece of live theatre.

He married Madonna when she was 42. They adopted David together, I don't think having more biological kids was a deal breaker. But then again we never know.

Am I the only one that fast forwards LS to the middle of the track.

Do you think madonna went through the same things as Wally Winthrop did in WE?

Some people saying Guy didn't take her money because he was already rich....yeah right! Since when does people don't want more money? Get real!

Gotta get my money back!

I think that the assets (including the Ashcombe estate and the Punchbowl pub) he received/retained as a result of the divorce settlement were probably worth multiples of the amount of money he had made by himself up to that point. But the fact is he was already a modest millionaire by the time M married him. The rest is speculation as far as I'm concerned (e.g. he may have been a tough negotiator regarding the settlement, etc.).

I realise my previous post in this thread was not directly linked to Love Spent. Sorry about that! :blush:

As others already noted above, the lyrics and music of Love Spent were already largely written by others. However, I recall having read somewhere that it took quite some time to arrive at the version included on the album.

Guest Rachelle of London

Why are some people so keen to think of Madonna as a victim. She's gone out of her way to prove that she's not. We clearly don't know the ins and outs of her marriage, but the money guy got probably included the assets that they shared together, as previously stated. Madonna retained the properties on Gt Cumberland St and the other Central London properties. Guy received Ashcombe House and the Punch Bowl. They probably had joint businesses. Labelling the man a "mistake" or whatever is none of our business, he's Madonnas ex, Rocco and David's father. Were only fans not Ms girl pals.

Should have been single together with I'm A Sinner, Masterpiece and Gang Bang.

While listening I get she's saying Guy is somehow a gold digger, but after the divorce, I don't remember if he got money from her, did he?

I Fucked Up should have been a single..

Should have been single together with I'm A Sinner, Masterpiece and Gang Bang.

While listening I get she's saying Guy is somehow a gold digger, but after the divorce, I don't remember if he got money from her, did he?

At least he got the Ashcombe house in England worth over 10 million pounds..

Do you think madonna went through the same things as Wally Winthrop did in WE?

No but there was most likely SOME truth in it.

Husband a keen drinker.

Husband wanted wife to just relax and settle.

Wife wanted romance and freedom.

I think the story about infertility was to draw parallels with Wallis and her pain. Madonna most likely connected to the fear and pain that comes at that time of your life as do many women. I loved the modern story in W.E.

Why are some people so keen to think of Madonna as a victim. She's gone out of her way to prove that she's not. We clearly don't know the ins and outs of her marriage, but the money guy got probably included the assets that they shared together, as previously stated. Madonna retained the properties on Gt Cumberland St and the other Central London properties. Guy received Ashcombe House and the Punch Bowl. They probably had joint businesses. Labelling the man a "mistake" or whatever is none of our business, he's Madonnas ex, Rocco and David's father. Were only fans not Ms girl pals.

maybe because she sings love spent (after LAV) in such an emotional setting and it's one of the rare occasions she actually shows her vulnerable side.

maybe because she sings love spent (after LAV) in such an emotional setting and it's one of the rare occasions she actually shows her vulnerable side.

I think there is a big difference Between being a victum and expressing hurt.

I love everything about this song, and I have from the start. I remember some guy on here or Facebook making a very convincing case that she wrote it about the relationships on 70s shows like Hart to Hart, but I never bought it. I think it's all about Guy, and I think both lyrically and vocally it's among her most heartfelt creations.

About the money, I think her marriage to Guy really helped contribute to her massive popularity in Europe/UK the last decade. So despite the money he received from her, she still may have strongly benefitted financially from the marriage overall.

I don't get how some of you said that Guy was rich way before Madonna, her films had an acceptable Box Office, from his 5 films in the Madonna Era, 3 were flops. Sherlock Holmes was after the divorce.

And reading his bio, it says that he was earching for investors for his first film who only had a budget of 1.85M so, if he had so much money he could have afford it, even if the project was risky.

I get that he has a relation with the royals but i don't think that he was super rich, maybe like 30M on his own? I'm pretty sure that since he married her, he didn't spent anything.

About the money, I think her marriage to Guy really helped contribute to her massive popularity in Europe/UK the last decade. So despite the money he received from her, she still may have strongly benefitted financially from the marriage overall.

Madonna has always been popular in the UK. Before her marriage, during her marriage and after her marriage.

As others already noted above, the lyrics and music of Love Spent were already largely written by others. However, I recall having read somewhere that it took quite some time to arrive at the version included on the album.

Details about how "Love Spent" was written are sparse.

However, we know from MadonnaNewEra's interview with Jean Baptiste that "Love Spent" was originally conceived as an instrumental track by Jean Baptiste, Ryan Buendia (aka DJ Replay) and Alain Whyte. Their main sources of inspiration were Goldfrapp's Seventh Tree album and the ABBA sample used by Madonna on "Hung Up". However, at the time, they had know idea that the track would eventually evolve into a Madonna song.

According to Jean Baptiste, the released version of the song features lyrics by himself, Priscilla Renea and Madonna.

We don't know who wrote which lines, but we do know the following:

- The original vocal demo was recorded by Priscilla Renea. Some of her vocals were reused for the acoustic version and the tour version.

- Madonna reworked the top melody because she couldn't replicate Priscilla Renea's singing style. This was revealed by Orbit in the EPK.

- At some point, the ASCAP database featured four different versions of "Love Spent", only one of which credited Madonna and Orbit as co-writers

I am just happy about the fact that she changed her mind at the very last minute and put it on the regular edition of MDNA. I truly don't know what she/they were thinking to not put one (Beautiful Killer) but two single worthy tracks as a bonus on the album. Crazy!

Guest Rachelle of London

That's true, but I think her marriage to Guy and her move there made her the #1 most popular artist of the last decade there.

Without it, I believe she would have still been popular, but not to that level.

Nope, she was already the most successful female artist before she met guy. In fact she was already living in the UK anyway. Now she's the most successful artist here full stop. The UK has always been one of her biggest markets from the beginning of her career.

LOL!

I hope you're not serious..

If anything, years with Guy were seen as "boring english lady of the manor with fake accent years".

In the middle of it..AL flopped and Swept Away flopped.

She did some Childrens Books though..

However, we know from MadonnaNewEra's interview with Jean Baptiste that "Love Spent" was originally conceived as an instrumental track by Jean Baptiste, Ryan Buendia (aka DJ Replay) and Alain Whyte. Their main sources of inspiration were Goldfrapp's Seventh Tree album and the ABBA sample used by Madonna on "Hung Up". However, at the time, they had know idea that the track would eventually evolve into a Madonna song.

According to Jean Baptiste, the released version of the song features lyrics by himself, Priscilla Renea and Madonna.

- The original vocal demo was recorded by Priscilla Renea. Some of her vocals were reused for the acoustic version and the tour version.

- Madonna reworked the top melody because she couldn't replicate Priscilla Renea's singing style. This was revealed by Orbit in the EPK.

- At some point, the ASCAP database featured four different versions of "Love Spent", only one of which credited Madonna and Orbit as co-writers

Thanks for these details. Priscilla Renae is connected to the circle through Orbit, I believe -- because she worked with Mika on his album (even co-singing on the song "Popular," actually, before it became a single and her part was re-recorded by Ariana Grande)... And we know "Gang Bang" came from that "Bang Bang Boom" demo, which was originally written by Mika and Priscilla together. And that made its way to Madonna through Orbit.

Anyway, what I was really going to say was that Priscilla tweeted at one point before the release of the album something to the effect of "Wow! Madonna totally flipped my lyrics" or something like that. She was giving Madonna respect and praise for her lyrical development of the song.

So ... it should not be presumed that Madonna had no lyrical input into the track. (Thanks for reminding people that Orbit indicated in the EPK that Madonna had influence on the melody line, as well. That's a major component of the composition, and therefore songwriting.)

Anyway, what I was really going to say was that Priscilla tweeted at one point before the release of the album something to the effect of "Wow! Madonna totally flipped my lyrics" or something like that. She was giving Madonna respect and praise for her lyrical development of the song.

So ... it should not be presumed that Madonna had no lyrical input into the track. (Thanks for reminding people that Orbit indicated in the EPK that Madonna had influence on the melody line, as well. That's a major component of the composition, and therefore songwriting.)

Far too many people (fans and detractors alike) try to dismiss Madonna's involvement in her songwriting, to the point where some even claim that Madonna's co-writers are lying when they discuss her contributions (!!). It's incredibly frustrating. Priscilla's vocals in the acoustic version would never have fit the album version, so that in itself shows how different the demo must have been to the final version. What we can assert with confidence (based on what we know from interviews) is that Madonna reworked the melody and changed the lyrics enough for the original writer to comment that they were "totally flipped". Does this warrant a writer's credit? Absolutely! Has Madonna claimed to have written the song by herself? Not even remotely. Of course, for some, it will still be easier to believe that she changed a word and claimed the bulk of the credit.

It would be great to hear a demo of this one day!

Guest whatatramp

Someone asked Guy Ritchie in an interview what it was like being married to Madonna, and he responded: "It brought me a lot of money."

back when I collected madonna memorabilia I had alot of clippings from around the divorce with all types of crap in them from his parents about how they didn't have sex for 2 years and how she wore £1,000 full body cream to bed every night lmao

I didn't even know about that interview! OMG. I found it online and although it is short it's awesome. Such great insight into the creative development of "Love Spent". Thank you for mentioning it!

Thanks for these details. Priscilla Renae is connected to the circle through Orbit, I believe -- because she worked with Mika on his album (even co-singing on the song "Popular," actually, before it became a single and her part was re-recorded by Ariana Grande)... And we know "Gang Bang" came from that "Bang Bang Boom" demo, which was originally written by Mika and Priscilla together. And that made its way to Madonna through Orbit.

You know, I always assumed that it was Madonna's idea to change the song lyrics and structure at 2:10 on the track. After all, the song could have technically been called "Spend Your Love On Me" since that was the main chorus component. But then you have "spend your love on me" spun into "love spent, feeling love spent" and the song just rockets off into the atmosphere from there.

It is really quite amazing what Madonna can do to a track.

Guest Rachelle of London

Yup Priscilla has said that they got an emaIl in the middle of the night and by the morning the 3rd verse was changed