Did M have second thoughts about putting 'Love Spent' on the album?

ryan

So I'm listening to WOs remix of Love Spent, and it's pretty obvious that on the album version, they edited the vocals from saying "I want you to take me like you took MY money" to "take YOUR money," as it's very clearly MY in the remix and live version...
But what I'm trying to get at is that, when the track list was first revealed, LS was a bonus track. And when she did the interview with Jimmy Fallon, she seemed pretty uninterested and scared to talk about the song when Jimmy played it and stated it was his favorite.
She did say that the biggest insult to call a guy is a "bitch." But to me, an even bigger insult is to refer to a guy as a "gold digger."
Do you think M had second thoughts about releasing Love Spent on the album? She didn't even work it into the tour till halfway through.

Love Spent is strange because it didn't get the open love from Madonna unless I missed something but yet it made it on the album and also has the acoustic version as a special bonus and she did sing it in the LAV performance in the show that was her most vunerable performance. It is obviously the best song on the album to me anyway or definitely in most fan's top 3. I love the song on so many levels. It's a song that I could easily have seen as the lead single of one of Madonna's albums. I do think it is a glimpse into the near future musically and emotionally I hope.

Should have been single together with I'm A Sinner, Masterpiece and Gang Bang.

While listening I get she's saying Guy is somehow a gold digger, but after the divorce, I don't remember if he got money from her, did he?

Someone asked Guy Ritchie in an interview what it was like being married to Madonna, and he responded: "It brought me a lot of money."

After the divorce it was said that Guy tried to get as much as possible, surely to get financial security for his film career. But then again, so many things were said in tabloids, that you can't really believe anything.

I've always read Love Spent as an open wound from somebody who was devastated by the end of a relationship and finds the other half more interested in money than being devastated too.

Maybe Madonna knew that the song could be analyzed and of course she wants the best for her children, and opening that debate would be hurtful. Maybe that's why she had second thoughts but later felt more secure about singing it.

I wonder if the deeply personal lyrics on MDNA is one of the reasons why Madonna didn't do alot of "traditional promotion" (TV appearances,print interviews) for it.The interviewers would have surely asked her about the lyrics and I don't know if she would have felt comfortable discusssing Guy and the divorce.

I wonder if the deeply personal lyrics on MDNA is one of the reasons why Madonna didn't do alot of "traditional promotion" (TV appearances,print interviews) for it.The interviewers would have surely asked her about the lyrics and I don't know if she would have felt comfortable discusssing Guy and the divorce.

I always wondered this too.

Whoopie thanks for bringing this up. I already thought a lot about this, but I feel like it was never being discussed properly on the forum.

Well, after i first listened to the album when I bought it I was shocked because it is such a great song and I didn't feel that M liked it enough. For the reasons you told (initial tracklist + reaction to Jimmy + her reaction when fans asked her to play LS on the tour).

My conclusion was that it is a very personal song for her and it says a lot when you see the performance on the tour. She cried so many times while singing it. I guess it was STILL a big issue for her. That's the only plausible thing for me, because the song is great.

PS: Wasn't reported that her divorce was the second most expensive of all time? Second only to Paul McCartney? I remember reading he took 70 million dollars from her.

So I'm listening to WOs remix of Love Spent, and it's pretty obvious that on the album version, they edited the vocals from saying "I want you to take me like you took MY money" to "take YOUR money," as it's very clearly MY in the remix and live version...

But what I'm trying to get at is that, when the track list was first revealed, LS was a bonus track. And when she did the interview with Jimmy Fallon, she seemed pretty uninterested and scared to talk about the song when Jimmy played it and stated it was his favorite.

She did say that the biggest insult to call a guy is a "bitch." But to me, an even bigger insult is to refer to a guy as a "gold digger."

Do you think M had second thoughts about releasing Love Spent on the album? She didn't even work it into the tour till halfway through.

It also felt like she was surprised that it was his favorite song from the album.

I wish she had released it as a single, with a gorgeous video. I think it would have been a hit, so many people seem to love it.

I guess it wasn't banal enough to be released as a single.

Seriously, I think she did deliberately want to put the banal tracks out because of a desire to play it safe musically and politically (after American Life trauma) but also emotionally because the other tracks are all fairly emotionally raw and she probably didn't want to have other people relating to them or asking her about them. She has rarely released the really personal tracks, she likes leaving them as album cuts. The only exceptions I can think of are True Blue and Nothing Really Matters (neither of which have ever received massive public support from her, for different reasons). A lot of the tracks on MDNA - Gang Bang, Love Spent, Best Friend, Falling Free, I Don't Give A - go as deep as and sometimes deeper than, tracks like Til Death Do Us Part, Promise To Try, Secret Garden, Words, Inside Of Me, Mer Girl, Little Star, X Static Process, Push, or Incredible. And none of those were mentioned, promoted or even performed in a live set.

Her singing LS on MDNA tour is the equivalent of what it would have been like to hear her sing "Till Death Do Us Part" on the Blond Ambition Tour. Luckily, we got one of the two, but yes I can imagine it's just an extremely personal song that she felt she needed to make, but at the same time, didn't want it to get a whole lot of attention. More of an emotional release for her than anything. As much as I find it to be single-worthy, those reasons are probably why it wasn't considered for release.

Well, I don't really consider the album version to be emotional (at least when it comes to the production and unfortunately her vocals as well), but I agree the lyrics do come across as very personal. When she was playing it live (that rendition sounded beautiful btw and totally beats the overproduced album version IMO) you could clearly see she felt sad about it and struggled singing it in many shows (especially in the Latin American ones).

So, to answer the original topic question, yes, it's highly possible she might have considered not to include the song because of it being too personal for her.

Her singing LS on MDNA tour is the equivalent of what it would have been like to hear her sing "Till Death Do Us Part" on the Blond Ambition Tour. Luckily, we got one of the two, but yes I can imagine it's just an extremely personal song that she felt she needed to make, but at the same time, didn't want it to get a whole lot of attention. More of an emotional release for her than anything. As much as I find it to be single-worthy, those reasons are probably why it wasn't considered for release.

gawd I'd love to hear Till Death Do Us Part on a tour. It'll never happen.

Guest ditaluver

this is my fav song off the album. I love the acoustic version of this as well.

Im not too fond of the live version but I still enjoyed her performance and appreciated it for what it was

I think she did not want to make a fuss at the risk of upsetting Guy and making her life a living hell since they still share Rocco's custody and also she did not want to hurt Guy as well. Gang bang is obviously a part she's playing, it 's not necessarily about Guy Ritchie.

Also Love spent is like a tricky turn of events 25 years later after Material girl. It's interesting to juxtapose both songs.

i still think she put the weakest songs out for singles and i cant think diferently than it was intention....couse if not,, than my say the choices were stupid...

IDGAS- perfect M single (first)

LS- perfect M single (second)

GB- perfect M single (third)

BK- pperfect M single for radio (third)

i dont know....

love spent have nice angry moments

i still think she put the weakest songs out for singles and i cant think diferently than it was intention....couse if not,, than my say the choices were stupid...

IDGAS- perfect M single (first)

LS- perfect M single (second)

GB- perfect M single (third)

BK- pperfect M single for radio (third)

i dont know....

love spent have nice angry moments

Rember when you said that LS would be released as a single back in November of 2012?

Whoopie thanks for bringing this up. I already thought a lot about this, but I feel like it was never being discussed properly on the forum.

Well, after i first listened to the album when I bought it I was shocked because it is such a great song and I didn't feel that M liked it enough. For the reasons you told (initial tracklist + reaction to Jimmy + her reaction when fans asked her to play LS on the tour).

My conclusion was that it is a very personal song for her and it says a lot when you see the performance on the tour. She cried so many times while singing it. I guess it was STILL a big issue for her. That's the only plausible thing for me, because the song is great.

PS: Wasn't reported that her divorce was the second most expensive of all time? Second only to Paul McCartney? I remember reading he took 70 million dollars from her.

OMG do you think Guy planned it all along? :ohmy:

Yeah Im glad she sang it with the 'my'. Makes much more sense. Should have sang it like that on the record.

Yeah Im glad she sang it with the 'my'. Makes much more sense. Should have sang it like that on the record.

It's in there. They just edited it to disguise it.

If you filter out the center channel you can hear it

I, too, always wondered why it went from "your money" to "my money" on tour. "My" seems much more appropriate. Although, maybe she chose "your" for the album because she didn't want to sound like she cared about the money. Like saying keep it, it's yours I don't care. Then for the tour felt "my" would be easier to understand.

Nonetheless, easily one of my top 3 favorite M songs ever.

I don't know everything about the divorce but I do know that during divorce acquisitions of property usually come with agreements when involving a child or children. I hardly see Guy as a big spender. He's never made a film which wasn't profitable and he comes from a wealthy background. Maybe the reason why she couldn't put her full force behind the sentiment was because she knew it was misleading. You can tell Madonna put a lot of sentiment and hope into that relationship and it didn't work out. I'm sure she was devastated as most people would be. Some fans take her lyrics way too literally though...

I remember being initially shocked on my 1st listen; she's hinted at the divorce throughout HC, but this was the first song I felt was CLEARLY about Guy. I know that Gang Bang is the obvious 'aggressive divorcee' track, but the surprisingly melancholy tone of Love Spent wass so refreshing, so vulnerable! It's always been a fav of mine from the album, but I can't imagine her releasing it as a single. She too sensitive for that.

Love Spent is my current early morning alarm clock [/fun fact]

I know many people here think guy's a gold digger but I've yet to see or hear anything that points to that. He's never talked about the divorce or said anything bad about her or cashed in in any way. He said he didn't like the media circus with Madonna. He's independently very wealthy and I doubt he would have bragged about getting a lot of money from her.

She also had one of the best divorce lawyers money can buy so I'm sure there is much more to this story than we'll know.

As for LS, it's a good song but not one of my all time faves. I think people could be right that she didn't want yo discuss its meaning limited the promo especially when you see how much she is doing now.

It's Sad in a way but she does write some of her best songs when she's having some major personal life event.