Madonna performing with Miley Cyrus at MTV Unplugged!

adreeyen

Didn't Miley make a video during the release of hard candy singing 4 minutes?!

I couldn't care less about this duet, but if she is doing all this (grammy and Miley), i believe the next album will be heavilly promoted!!!! I mean, I hope so!

singing open your heart with a cane is more nostalgic and legacy act oriented than anything i can possibly think of. it's time you reconsider your thoughts sweety dearest.

In the middle of a current act's song, which has everyone screaming 'desperation! attention-seeking!' and banging on about how embarrassing it is that she's trying to 'stay relevant' and citing her most recent dance-oriented album as evidence. 'Sweety dearest'.

Tony Bennett, Cyndi Lauper and Barbra Streisand can collaborate with younger artists without a problem, but when madonna does it we get paragraphs on it and she's called desperate! I don't fucking get it. Madonna honey, retire. You're not fucking appreciated by people anymore and your own fans are bitching because of your choices. If people can't appreciate you trying to branch out, make them sorry and go away completely!

My understanding is that she gets shit for these collaborations because she's too fucking good and above them. Madonna has always been kind of a mystery. Her collaborating with those celebrities who are nowhere even close to her level sort of takes away from her mystery, makes it fade away. When she enters a room people say "HOLY SHIT thats MADONNA" but then you'll also have people like hannah montana and nicki minaj saying "oh thats just madonna,yea we collaborated", and thats really annoying. Not sure if i expressed myself right but that's my impression.

My understanding is that she gets shit for these collaborations because she's too fucking good and above them. Madonna has always been kind of a mystery. Her collaborating with those celebrities who are nowhere even close to her level sort of takes away from her mystery, makes it fade away. When she enters a room people say "HOLY SHIT thats MADONNA" but then you'll also have people like hannah montana and nicki minaj saying "oh thats just madonna,yea we collaborated", and thats really annoying. Not sure if i expressed myself right but that's my impression.

She is better than these people but I think in some cases Madonna is just lending a hand to a new pop star. Who is on Madonna's level and would they ask her to join them on stage or in their album? Annie Lennox did that one time, no one remembers that.

From Macklemore to Miley, is Madonna a lost cause? Madonna's teamed up with Macklemore and Miley Cyrus. Maybe it's time for her to be alone for a while

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/28/from_macklemore_to_miley_is_madonna_a_lost_cause/

world-premiere-of-madonna-the-mdna-tour.

Madonna doesn’t need anyone’s help; the performer’s Super Bowl halftime show a scant two years ago was generally praised, and her worldwide tour last year was a huge grosser. And, no matter what happens, she’ll still be the person who released “Like a Prayer” or “Vogue” or whichever of her songs is your favorite. (I’m partial to “Ray of Light”!) Like Paul McCartney, Madonna has earned the right to be unquestioningly treated as a legend; unlike McCartney, she seems fairly careless of her legacy. Can she right the ship?

The pop legend has seemed shakier than ever lately. Her tendency to make alliances with younger artists is hardly new — but the journey from Britney in 2003 and Justin in 2008 toM.I.A. in 2012 and Macklemore in 2014 has been an uneasy one. Up until fairly recently in Madonna’s career, the singer seemed in control of her art. Whether the music was good or bad, Madonna appeared to know what she was doing; if you didn’t like the current album, you just had to wait two and a half years and there’d be a new one. Now, rather than enlisting younger artists for her music, Madonna has come to be called in by younger artists seeking a gravitas boost. She seems less in control than perpetually happy to be asked.

As Lindy West noted at Jezebel, this isn’t a complaint over Madonna’s age but over her creativity and willingness to take risks: she’s happier, these days, playing it safe. At the Grammys, Madonna seemed aware that she was playing second fiddle to Macklemore and to couples getting married, and so upped the ante with cheap theatrics; the singer was upstaged at the Super Bowl by her collaborator’s middle finger; the queen of pop has been called in as a supporting act for Miley Cyrus.

That’s because Madonna’s legend so precedes her that she no longer needs to substantively reinvent herself; she’s frozen in amber as a very famous individual, but without the new material to make her exciting. Her last album, “MDNA,” was on a surface level meant to be contemporary dance music — complete with tasteless reference in its very title to the drug MDMA — but it sounded truly generic. So, too, was the fun, proficient, but meaningless attached tour, whose ideas went as deep as “now she’s dressed like a cheerleader!”

Her style is both predictable and out-of-step in a way that feels less trendsetting than Havisham-ishly uninformed: at the Grammys, Madonna was in menswear and a gold “grill.” Hers was the part of the performance that seemed most explicitly a publicity stunt, because there’s little about Madonna in 2014 that feels genuine. She’s not wearing a gold grill because she thinks it’s interesting or cool, she’s doing it because that’s what Madonna does. Aren’t you shocked? Her use of the N-word to describe her own white son on Instagram felt alternately cheap (she’s back in the news, again) and sad (isolated by decades of super-fame, she seemed to have no clue why people were offended).

It was not ever thus — indeed, as recently as 2006, Madonna opened the Grammys with “Hung Up,” her homage to the disco era. It was a great song and represented a new direction in which the artist might push herself, and the collaboration (Madonna appeared, briefly, onstage with holograms representing the cartoon brand Gorillaz) was a sign of genuine curiosity about the frontiers of the world of pop.

The next album was a hip-hop-inflected record, “Hard Candy,” which at least was a try for something new, and then the unremarkable, could-be-anyone “MDNA.” It’s as though the commercial failure of her probing, strange antiwar record “American Life” haunts her still, frightening her away from taking a stand.

Or maybe the war of words between her and Lady Gaga over the latter’s perceived plagiarism scared Madonna about the upcoming generation more than she lets on. Whatever the reason, there’s something curdled about Madonna in 2014.

It’s not Madonna that’s changed, to be clear — she’s lost her touch, but one sees in her the same fundamental elements that were always there. There’s an element of the control freak that has never left in her elaborate tours and her attention to a consistent, if consistently semiotically empty, image; her provocations, too, were never that deep, even at their peak. But what used to shock in the world of pop were carefully choreographed awards-show performances created to bring across a specific idea; what shocks now are sloppy and ideologically squishy messes.

The Macklemore performance at the Grammys was astounding for its utter lack of control, its poor production values — pro-marriage-equality stand aside, the Madonna of 10 years ago would never have participated in something this shoddily constructed. (Madonna leaping on the shoulders of an LMFAO member during her Super Bowl halftime show was equally tragic in the same manner.)

And Miley Cyrus, an artist with plenty of virtues and plenty of shortfalls, rose to mega-fame by existing as the sort of anti-Madonna, exerting zero control and zero interest in artistic perfection. Why should the two team up? Because it’s an opportunity for Madonna to get on TV without having to make a great single, even if she has to sublimate the control and qualities that her fans particularly prize.

It’s one of those questions without an answer, what Madonna should do next. There’s never been a star quite like her — a female artist with so much longevity whose claim to fame was an ability to get the public’s attention, rather than by being the best singer or dancer. A first step might be to can the collaborators for her next record, and to get a new producer. We already know what the current crop of 20-something pop singers sound like, and what Madonna sounds like over an electronic beat. What she thinks about anything more controversial than marriage equality, and what trends in music she herself is intrigued by — that would be worth buying on iTunes

The MDNA tour alone contradicts just about everything being said here...& as usual people fail 2 accept that she might wanna do something cuz she just feels like it....no agenda...weather that's wearing grills or singing with Britney

This :clap:

Cut back to Guy Oseary's 2012 "Talk to me in a year" sound bite. People that want to find fault in her choices whether related to her career or her private life always recycle the same trite arguments. You think they'd have learnt by now NEVER to question someone who's been delivering the goods for 30 years

I guess it's all just subconscious WISHFUL THINKING

Tony Bennett, Cyndi Lauper and Barbra Streisand can collaborate with younger artists without a problem, but when madonna does it we get paragraphs on it and she's called desperate! I don't fucking get it.

:chuckle:

It's called the "ooohhh Madonna is still around" envy syndrome

On these screens since 1984 "six months and she's out of the business"

So what's the alternative HATERS? She sits up on her imperial throne rotting away, muttering the lyrics to Promise to Try and desperately beavering away, trying to find an "unknown" producer to collaborate with? It's just all a bit of fun for her at this point I'm sure - and the more it annoys people (including her own misbegotten fans) the more she cackles away hysterically about it. Get over it.

She is better than these people but I think in some cases Madonna is just lending a hand to a new pop star. Who is on Madonna's level and would they ask her to join them on stage or in their album? Annie Lennox did that one time, no one remembers that.

That song with Annie was SING and was a benefit for an HIV/AIDS organization in Africa, along with a lot of other women singers in the background chorus.

Because Madonna only cares about herself, of course.

Can't you imagine a duet back in 1990 with Paula Abdul or Tiffany/Debbie Gibson?

Duets and collaborations were not as common back then as they have been the last 10 years or so.

Now it has become the norm.

Madonna has always been a BIG selling, commercial female artist, even her so called flop album MDNA has sold almost 2 million worldwide, which is ironically MORE than the WW sales of Miley's Bangerz album.

In order to stay relevant and be successful, Madonna has to change with the times.

So what's the alternative HATERS? She sits up on her imperial throne rotting away, muttering the lyrics to Promise to Try and desperately beavering away, trying to find an "unknown" producer to collaborate with? It's just all a bit of fun for her at this point I'm sure - and the more it annoys people (including her own misbegotten fans) the more she cackles away hysterically about it. Get over it.

:iloveyou:

LOL. Totally. If she pulled a Greta Garbo, the haters would be googling for pictures of her in Central Park all day. She can't win with these people.

I really hope they perform an acoustic version of the unreleased classic "Britney, Don't Do It!"

Can't wait for Madge to perform with Justin Bieber on her next tour though :wow:

She might as well will! :lol: They will sing Human Nature of course and Justin will get this oportunity to come out of the closet. Front pages on all newspapers the next day. Everyone wins :wow:

Guest Rocco Papa

Just makes me lament her not doing an MTV Unplugged of her own long ago.

Imagine... no Bedtime Stories tour, but a one-off 1995 MTV Unplugged special.

remember when Kurt Loder suggested it to her? "Madonna with a guitar?" "Madonna unplugged?" :lol:

Edited by RoccoPapa

I wrote something about Madonna last year which seems over more relevant now. The most relevant bit: "Because at some point we want the artists we love as we grow up to remind us of headier times; of when we were younger and their music meant everything to us; of when they sound-tracked the formative moments of our lives. In short, we want them to stop growing up so that we dont have to either. So scorn is poured on those artists who dare to think that they not only have every right to keep making and performing new music, but have the audacity to not make it sound like the songs we loved. There are countless examples - Prince found himself embraced again when he made the self-referential album Musicology. U2 roared back into the public consciousness with All That You Cant Leave Behind, an album even they admitted was a deliberate attempt to re-capture an earlier magic (they slumped back out again with No Line on the Horizon, a great album but one which largely made demands on the listener.) Elton John, The Rolling Stones and Stevie Wonder long ago became exercises in nostalgia, putting out new material of varying quality but always touring with the old songs, the ones you know.

Madonna certainly isnt unaware of this - her previous three albums have been littered with deliberate nods to her past. However, its far more difficult to mine your own history when you operate in the pop/dance genre. Aside from it having always commanded less respect (30 years into her career, Madonna is still regularly called talentless) its a genre which is predicated on sexuality and novelty - two traits which its nigh-on impossible for a woman in her 50s to embrace without scorn. So Madonna has faced perhaps the most aggressive criticisms of her career for working with younger artists and producers; for not performing enough classic hits on her tours; for making music which sounds modern; for not standing still and just being the Madonna we want her to be."

This is exactly what's happening this week. She's getting shit because she's disrupting these people's nostalgia. They want her to become a legacy act, fading into modern irrelevancy so that they can bang on Like A Prayer without having to think about the ageing woman who made it. A woman who keeps doing what she's always done and who resolutely does not want to become an exercise in nostalgia. I think this is a big reason why so many folk go ape-shit over her working with Patrick Leonard again. Sure, they made amazing music together but that was largely over 20 years ago and Madonna's never gone bacl like that. But if she did do that, she'd be feeding into the nostalgia rather than awkwardly disrupting it by doing her thing.

Until she gives in to the nostalgia, like pretty much every other 'ageing' legend has had to do at some point, I unfortunately think this shit will only get worse. But that's who she is and that's why I love her, and if idiotic fuckers want to shit on her for not being 30 anymore I couldn't give a toss.

I loved reading your post and I think your right about her fans wanting to somehow relive the past. My own thought is that Madonna will never become an nostalgia act because she doesn't believe in an ending. I believe that she believes life is ongoing and we are all just passing through on our way to somewhere else. I see her working consistantly throughout her life. Right now I believe she is very driven by her revolution and is passionate about social change. I am hoping that will come out in her next album.

That's because Madonna is still (relatively) relevant, while Nelson or Streisand haven't been relevant in YEARS.

Another thing that annoys me is when the media complain about Madonna collaborating with other artists

BUT EVERYONE IS MUSIC DOES IT NOWADAYS

Even more than Madonna

Hell fucking half of Rihanna's #1 singles are collabos

While ALL of Madonna's US #1 singles are solo

Once again it's OK for everyone else but not Madonna

Ahhhh so true!!

Moreover a million copies worth of digital singles sold today at those half a dollar prices and just having to press a button sitting at home equals a fraction of the shitloads of single sales Madonna has accumulated throughout the years when singles and maxi singles had a price tag of $12 each and people had to drag themselves to a store to get them on top of everything!!

It's just all a bit of fun for her at this point I'm sure - and the more it annoys people (including her own misbegotten fans) the more she cackles away hysterically about it. Get over it.

:rotfl::rotfl::clap:

I loved reading your post and I think your right about her fans wanting to somehow relive the past. My own thought is that Madonna will never become an nostalgia act because she doesn't believe in an ending. I believe that she believes life is ongoing and we are all just passing through on our way to somewhere else. I see her working consistantly throughout her life. Right now I believe she is very driven by her revolution and is passionate about social change. I am hoping that will come out in her next album.

this This THIS!