After recent controversies would THE BLACK MADONNA make a good album title?

Nipple flashing or wearing grills do not even equate. Going black face on her next album, could very well be taken as disrespectful to a whole race of people. Do you really want her to go down that path just for the sake of creating a controversy or to spark a debate? And what sound reason is there for her to do this? What would she be enlightening the world to, by doing this? And what about the music? In fact, it seems to be already lost in this discussion. I guess the real question is, what are you hoping Madonna will get out of this, by naming her album "The Black Madonna"?

You make too much sense for this forum. I wish you patience. I wish you peace. :superman:

It would only be a good title if the album as a whole relates to it.

Not just that, but also the right place at the right time with the right person.

As someone mentioned above, the Madonna of 2008 does not have the cultural currency of the Madonna of 1991. I would kill to have a big Madonna controversy, but the risk of insulting a whole group of people, and humanity itself, may be too big of a mountain to ascend even with Madonna's ironic flick of a finger.

If Black Madonna was a concept album with songs that dealt with racism, sexism and ageism and with an anonymous black woman on the cover (kind of what Trixie posted), the critics would've wet their pants.

Anyway, that train has come and gone. I'm more excited about M's next album...

LOVE THIS IDEA. Beautiful. She could still attempt it if she wanted to.

Guest bluejean

Painting your skin black isn't necessarily racist. Why does everybody assume that? I mean you could be painting your face black in order to show that skin colour is just that...jeez. Anyway I have a great feeling about the next M album. As in a positive reception.

The intent may not be racist but everytime someone has painted their face black here in recent years the media has deemed it offensive and racist. The same thing would have happened to Madonna if she did that.

Not just that, but also the right place at the right time with the right person.

As someone mentioned above, the Madonna of 2008 does not have the cultural currency of the Madonna of 1991. I would kill to have a big Madonna controversy, but the risk of insulting a whole group of people, and humanity itself, may be too big of a mountain to ascend even with Madonna's ironic flick of a finger.

I think she would have gotten away with it.

But she doesn't really need a "big controversary," for anything.

Guest bluejean

A group of men went on national tv here with their faces painted as black for a comedy skit and special guest Harrick Connick Jr (an American) complained that he found it offensive and racist. It made the news around the world.

More recently Delta Goodrem, singer and The Voice judge tweeted a pic of a white person dressed up as another The Voice judge singer Seal (with face painted black) and it caused an uproar and she was labelled racist for simply retweeting the pic. That is in Australia. Imagine the reaction in the US where people are far more sensitive about these things.

Wearing black makeup for the sake of wearing black makeup isn't pejorative to Black people.

The celebrities that caught heat for wearing blackface WERE emulating Black folk, not only by wearing the dark makeup, but by also lampooning actual people; The black face paint, in addition to the grillz, and the M-Dolla nickname would've been critical overload even for me. I'm not here for Minstrel Madonna & neither is the United States of America. She woulda been CRUCIFIED.

Wearing black makeup for the sake of wearing black makeup isn't pejorative to Black people.

The celebrities that caught heat for wearing blackface WERE emulating Black folk, not only by wearing the dark makeup, but by also lampooning actual people; The black face paint, in addition to the grillz, and the M-Dolla nickname would've been critical overload even for me. I'm not here for Minstrel Madonna & neither is the United States of America. She woulda been CRUCIFIED.

I agree. There's controversy, and then there is simply being offensive.

Blackface is the latter part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minstrel_show

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

This may be a dumb question, but is using black makeup (like the shade that's #000000) still considered blackface? Like this.

maxresdefault.jpg

Cuz something like that coulda been cool, if it isn't blackface.

^ With contrasting red/ pink lips, yes. Minstrel Show performers used pitch black wax on their faces; to be as dark as possible was the intention. There's a tasteful way of doing it, many high fashion spreads have, but it's a very thin line. But this is Madonna we're talking about, when do people ever give her the benefit of the doubt? Madge makes an urban inspired album, paints her face Black, & creates a hip-hop alter-ego? That 106 & Park interview would've turned into fight club REAL QUICK.

Adreeeyen, do you remember when the 1st Gen of Pokemon was out? Jnyx's appearance was a HUGE DEAL for a lot of Americans. They not only banned an entire episode featuring her, they eventually changed her entire look; she's more purple-ish.

Adreeeyen, do you remember when the 1st Gen of Pokemon was out? Jnyx's appearance was a HUGE DEAL for a lot of Americans. They not only banned an entire episode featuring her, they eventually changed her entire look; she's more purple-ish.

Oh yeah, I don't remember it when it happened but I've read about how all that happened. I can get why Nintendo might make that slip up, but really, Jynx really did look like those old Mammy caricatures. It's actually kinda creepy in that way.

Thanks for the education tho. :thumbsup:Unsurprisingly, the only time I was taught anything about blackface in my education was when we watched the film "The Jazz Singer" and it sure as he'll wasn't thorough.

Nipple flashing or wearing grills do not even equate. Going black face on her next album, could very well be taken as disrespectful to a whole race of people. Do you really want her to go down that path just for the sake of creating a controversy or to spark a debate? And what sound reason is there for her to do this? What would she be enlightening the world to, by doing this? And what about the music? In fact, it seems to be already lost in this discussion. I guess the real question is, what are you hoping Madonna will get out of this, by naming her album "The Black Madonna"?

By your reckoning we would have no Like a Prayer video and no Erotica album. Shouldn't be a fan if this is how you view her work and the importance of how the world 'reacts'. :-/

I liked the cultural context of it. The idea of religious iconography that had 'deteriorated' and in doing so had completely changed its original symbology in the process is kind of cool. If you don't know what Black Madonna's are you should do your research. It certainly isn't a performance artists and pop queen of the universe pretending to be from Africa.

tumblr_mm769yPYdn1r0jlbgo3_500.gif

:lmao: I really wanna talk like the RHOA but I don't for fear of people thinking I'm one of those white people that wants to be black. :rotfl: I've always been fascinated with the way people speak in those parts of the US though (through film).

Yep, but I'm more than ready for him to come in here and contest what I posted.

tumblr_inline_muuini8fpz1qguc0z.gif

HE BETTER TREAD LIGHTLY

Please. :lmao:

This may be a dumb question, but is using black makeup (like the shade that's #000000) still considered blackface? Like this.maxresdefault.jpg

Cuz something like that coulda been cool, if it isn't blackface.

No it isn't. It's just make up. There is no racial context on the situation. Many black people use skin lightening make up and it ain't racist. Many black skinned (non westernised) tribespeople use WHITE make up for ritual. The point is that it's all about context and Madonna has never pretended to be anything so she ain't gonna pretend to be black either! I mean, how beautiful was it when she took inspiration from Asia? The henna, the Geisha influence and all of that. I find cultural exploration and appropriation beautiful as long as you're not portraying an ill informed stereotype...

^ With contrasting red/ pink lips, yes. Minstrel Show performers used pitch black wax on their faces; to be as dark as possible was the intention. There's a tasteful way of doing it, many high fashion spreads have, but it's a very thin line. But this is Madonna we're talking about, when do people ever give her the benefit of the doubt? Madge makes an urban inspired album, paints her face Black, & creates a hip-hop alter-ego? That 106 & Park interview would've turned into fight club REAL QUICK.

Like I said, I don't think that was her plan for Hard Candy. Remember though that she referenced 'black culture' on Music and American Life. People borrow from other cultures though. I mean black culture borrowed a lot from Scarface which comes from the white and western film industry. People focus on race too much though because it was the concept of a distorted icon that excited me more. That racial connotation is just like the sugar on top. America clearly needs some like upheaval with racial equality (which I know more thanks to this forum) and maybe somebody bringing that debate to the fore should be celebrated!

Stud, didn't you say it was very 'punk rock' of Madonna to use the #disnigga hashtag? And now Cicatrix is tryna make the 'Blackdonna look' happen. Yall are gonna get Madge in trouble :rotfl:

I've always gotten high off of being naughty. :queenbitch:

tumblr_mj2pejEWx71s6gdwso1_r1_500.jpg

That's kind of dumb though because it's got nothing to do with race. In Anime people have blue hair and grey skin for gods sake. :lol:

It doesn't, but watch this and tell me there isn't some resemblance to the original Jynx.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BWhBkot244

Seriously, those cartoons scare me.

By your reckoning we would have no Like a Prayer video and no Erotica album. Shouldn't be a fan if this is how you view her work and the importance of how the world 'reacts'. :-/

Maybe you meant for this comment for someone else since you replied twice to the same comments by me. Your response makes no sense to what I posted. And your second response post isn't making much more sense in context to what I posted. You're just talking in circles! :manson:

Edited by BuenosAires

Maybe you meant for this comment for someone else since you replied twice to the same comments by me. Your response makes no sense to what I posted. And your second response post isn't making much more sense in context to what I posted. You're just talking in circles! :manson:

No. You asked the question 'what would she/we get out of naming it that?' and I answered. Yes I paraphrased.