Seymour Stein On What Music, Advertising And Marketing Can Learn From Madonna

lasky

“First of all, Madonna is one of the smartest people I’ve ever encountered,” Stein said. “She’s one of the most determined, driven.

Madonna “knows a lot about music,” Stein says. “She’s on the cutting edge of it. She follows it. She always has been, and she continues to be.”

“Every one of her records she makes is different from the last one,” Stein says. “She just reaches in and turns herself inside out like a chameleon. And I think she’ll continue to be able to do so in the future as well…I think that the thing I most admire about her is that she always seems to be ahead of the curve — well ahead of it.”

So much truth

Why did she end up leaving warner bros?

I think the primary reason is that record labels are becoming obsolete. Also, they probably couldn't offer her as much as Live Nation could with record profits shrinking year upon year.

I also think she never forgave them for how they handled the Maverick situation back in 2004. I think Madonna has a hard time forgiving/forgetting traitors.

never mind he looks like a heifer

your favourite word right now!!! :lol:

I think the primary reason is that record labels are becoming obsolete. Also, they probably couldn't offer her as much as Live Nation could with record profits shrinking year upon year.

I also think she never forgave them for how they handled the Maverick situation back in 2004. I think Madonna has a hard time forgiving/forgetting traitors.

if i remember correctly warner made a bid to renewe her contract but she preferred LN, probably because of a better offer, not only in term of money, and yes for that maverick situation, but also, i think, for how they managed her albums since GHV2....

Great guy, he's always complimenting Madonna. And he's the one who signed her in the first place, her career would have been VERY different if he didn't. So he deserves all our respect :wow:

I don't find any improve about handling an album with LN. In fact, promo and releases have been on the verge of DISSASTER with MDNA. Don't know who's to blame, though.

I don't see Madonna complaining. She went on to a highly successful Tour which LN is known for producing/financing.

I don't see Madonna complaining. She went on to a highly successful Tour which LN is known for producing/financing.

I never said she complained, nor that the tour wasn't succesful. What i mean is that at least we had better physical releases with Warner :(

I never said she complained, nor that the tour wasn't succesful. What i mean is that at least we had better physical releases with Warner :(

And who is releasing "physical" singles? LIVE NATION isn't a record distributor. We shouldn't be shocked that the tour was the focus. Again, Madonna isn't complaining, so I don't see why we should. You have an album with all the songs. The first two singles did get some physical releases, and like with most all other current artists, the focus is on digital releases.

I don't find any improve about handling an album with LN. In fact, promo and releases have been on the verge of DISSASTER with MDNA. Don't know who's to blame, though.

Well you still don't get it then :lol:

Live Nation is not a recording company, never was. All the artists that have the famous 360 deal have a separate distribution contract with a traditional record company. And that's because a shift has occurred within the music industry for every artist and every genre, and every age

From album sales to performance revenue. It's been over 6 years since that deal was arranged and some of you really can't seem to grasp this simple notion. Nobody can't be bothered anymore to go to the shop and lay their hands on a CD. In fact most people are not even willing to pay for digital music + Youtube and countless other considerations

MDNA's promotional course was Madonna's choice and Madonna's only. Not Guy Oseary, not LN, not Universal. She was finishing a movie, promoting it, recording and finishing an album, doing the Superbowl, dropping a record out and scheduling a tour to start 2 months after the cd hit stores. It was Universal's 7th best-selling record of the year and the 12th best-selling record in general worldwide.

Let those stupid MDNA NTP issues go :rotfl:

And also stop trying to give Madonna career advice

Great guy, he's always complimenting Madonna. And he's the one who signed her in the first place, her career would have been VERY different if he didn't. So he deserves all our respect :wow:

:thumbsup:

So glad Madonna didn't have to fuck and marry a Tommy Mottola at age 20 and be whisked off to a life of luxury, not having had to work a single day of her life. The circumstances of their encounter are hilarious. And that's why she's part of a handful of people that started in the 80s that still have a huge career to this day :rotfl:

"Hooked up to an IV drip" lol

And anyway people that are making out the record to be a flop ..... please. Who else in their mid 50s has her first album out in 4 years, distributed by a new recording company and that very same album ends up being their 7th best-selling release of the year?

And without promotion

Well you still don't get it then :lol:

Live Nation is not a recording company, never was. All the artists that have the famous 360 deal have a separate distribution contract with a traditional record company. And that's because a shift has occurred within the music industry for every artist and every genre, and every age

From album sales to performance revenue. It's been over 6 years since that deal was arranged and some of you really can't seem to grasp this simple notion. Nobody can't be bothered anymore to go to the shop and lay their hands on a CD. In fact most people are not even willing to pay for digital music + Youtube and countless other considerations

MDNA's promotional course was Madonna's choice and Madonna's only. Not Guy Oseary, not LN, not Universal. She was finishing a movie, promoting it, recording and finishing an album, doing the Superbowl, dropping a record out and scheduling a tour to start 2 months after the cd hit stores. It was Universal's 7th best-selling record of the year and the 12th best-selling record in general worldwide.

Let this stupid MDNA NTP issues go :rotfl:

And also stop trying to give Madonna career advice

And anyway people that are making out the record to be a flop ..... please. Who else in their mid 50s has her first album out in 4 years, distributed by a new recording company and that very same album ends up being their 7th best-selling release of the year?

And without promotion

giphy.gif

And if people are that upset at the releases...shouldn't that fault lie at Interscope... not LN?

It was in a different fucking day and age!!!!! Ugh! Why are people so dumb with this shit?! Cher and Jason Derulo are on WBR and I certainly don't think Madonna needs to catch up with their promo work. I mean, you're talking about the days when physical single sales really mattered to the success of an artist! MOVE ON. JOIN THE NOW. UGH!