What's your FAVORITE opening song on an M album?

Guest Lum

Albums  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Opening Track?

• Lucky Star
    • Material Girl
    • Papa Don't Preach
    • Like a Prayer
    • He's A Man
    • Erotica
    • Survival
    • Drowned World (Substitute for Love)
    • Music
    • American Life
    • Hung Up
    • Candy Shop
    • Girl Gone Wild

It's tough, cause I usually base this on the opening like. Erotica will always take the top spot on that. "My name is Dita, I'll be your mistress tonight." Holy fuck, that's just amazing. Only Madonna could think of that and pull it off.

The act if contrition is quite stunning in GGW too, it's a great way to start that while era, and it was expanded and explored on the tour, giving it and the song a whole new meaning.

But based on a whole song, DW is also a good opener.

But since I'm an Erotica loon, my vote goes for that. :)

Have a great day everyone!

LAP because it's the best song she has ever done. I do agree though Erotica and Drowned World set the mood for the respective albums even better.

I'm really enjoying He's A Man lately as well, but I can't vote for that one since - as we all know - I'm Breathless is not a studio album :D;)

This is waaay harder than the other poll... Madge has a knack for killer opening tracks.

I voted for "Drowned World." Such an haunting, ethereal opening -- one of her all-time great tracks in its own right and excellent introduction to the new post-motherhood, spiritual Madonna.

God, I need to listen to "Drowned World" right now.

erotica...what an epic intro for an epic song for an epic album!!!!

followed by LAP and he's a man (gorgeous first song that set the vibe for a brilliant album).....

Im Breathless is a studio album..

Madge's team started listing it as a "soundtrack" after "American Life" bombed. Notice how all the press releases and other promotional materials from 2003 were celebrating her "10th studio album" -- only to see the same exact line on all the materials in 2005.

I suspect she thinks more carefully about the album closer than the opener.

It is, as you say, suspicion -- but I don't agree. Both her openers and her closers have historically been stellar. I think she's thoughtful of both.

Its probably Erotica but I adore Candy Shop.

That's my choice, too. So many of her openers form previous albums are classics now, it's hard to think of them as album openers.

Candy Shop just does it for me. I only wish the live version's C-A-N-D-Y (New Edition?) spell-out was in the studio version.

i don't want to start again stating the fact that IB is a studio album....obviously it is....if M thinks it's garbage or a fans' fantasy or a cat, that doesn't change the fact...a collection of songs (nor live, nor previously released, and please....it's not a soundtrack....) put together on an official release....i once read that some dion's fans consider the titanic soundtrack a dion's album..... once i even stated that i don't snore, but play angelic music while sleeping...well....i think i'm not right....

i don't want to start again stating the fact that IB is a studio album....obviously it is....if M thinks it's garbage or a fans' fantasy or a cat, that doesn't change the fact...a collection of songs (nor live, nor previously released, and please....it's not a soundtrack....) put together on an official release....i once read that some dion's fans consider the titanic soundtrack a dion's album..... once i even stated that i don't snore, but play angelic music while sleeping...well....i think i'm not right....

Madonna.com :laugh: