More iconic: Like a Prayer or Vogue?

madonnasuperfan01

Both songs are among Madonna's biggest and more influentials hits. But which one is the biggest overall? Which one made the bigger impact and is more loved by the general public and fellow musicians? I constantly got different answers when i ask people about it so i want to know what you guys think about it. Discuss!

I think Like A Prayer has an edge.

I agree. While "Vogue" is a dance floor masterpiece, I feel like "Like A Prayer" has that transcendent quality - it's pop music and philosophy.

Like a Prayer I think. It's the "I don't even like Madonna but damn this rules" song. Plus more recurrent radio play and digital sales. But it's a close thing.

Like a Virgin is more iconic than either though. Everyone knows it.

SO DAMN RIGHT! Everyone i know think this song is a masterpiece, even my best friend who's not a pop music fan at all.

And yeah i think it's true about Like a Virgin, which is a shame, it's one of her worst songs ever to me :(

I would say Vogue was a lot more iconic and influential in terms of it's impact on music, video and fashion. But I also appreciate that Like a Prayer is a very firm favourite particularly for non-Madonna fans.

I JUST made a playlist on my iPod of M's iconic top ten...in my opinion.

It goes something like this...

10. Take A Bow

9. Music

8. Material Girl

7. Ray Of Light

6. Express Yourself

5. Papa Don't Preach

4. Holiday

3. Like A Virgin

2. Like A Prayer

1. Vogue

I JUST made a playlist on my iPod of M's iconic top ten...in my opinion.

It goes something like this...

10. Take A Bow

9. Music

8. Material Girl

7. Ray Of Light

6. Express Yourself

5. Papa Don't Preach

4. Holiday

3. Like A Virgin

2. Like A Prayer

1. Vogue

You forgot Into The Groove.

I'd be interested to know the experiences of those around when both were released. I get the sense "Vogue" was bigger at the time - it was the best selling song of 1990, obviously ushered in a dance craze, and was released at the absolute peak of her imperial phase; meanwhile Like a Prayer to some extent was overshadowed by its video controversy.

I'd be interested to know the experiences of those around when both were released. I get the sense "Vogue" was bigger at the time - it was the best selling song of 1990, obviously ushered in a dance craze, and was released at the absolute peak of her imperial phase; meanwhile Like a Prayer to some extent was overshadowed by its video controversy.

Wasn't it the second best selling single of 1990? I'm not sure.

Tricky question. I think in terms of visual iconography Vogue is the winner. You have the platinum blonde, the video, the look, the choreography, it's quintessential Madonna.

If we talk about songs, LAP is the bigger one, by a nose!

Wasn't it the second best selling single of 1990? I'm not sure.

I don't know about sales, but overall it was the fifth biggest Hot 100 hit of the year: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1990

I was still quite young when both were released, but yeah "Vogue" was bigger (#5 on year-end chart, see above, while LAP was #25). I think LAP got more press and attention because of the video, but one of the reasons (I think) "Vogue" may have been bigger is because house/dance music was extremely popular back then. MTV also played the video every five minutes (from what my neighbor said at the time - we didn't have cable).

I prefer LAP, but the answer is Vogue.

This. Though I also think the public connects Like A Virgin to her the most. Remember the Superbowl commercial w/ Jay Leno. What song did they pick out of all M's discography as his ring tone? Answer: LAV

LAP is more of an anthem & is an uplifting live performance. It really takes you there at every concert performance.

That said though, Vogue is more iconic. The attitude, the look, the choreography of the video and every live performance of this song is just so iconic & legendary & to me, nobody vogues better than Madonna

Most Iconic Madonna songs:

1. LIKE A VIRGIN

2. MATERIAL GIRL

3. VOGUE

4. HOLIDAY

5. INTO THE GROOVE

6. LA ISLA BONITA

7. LUCKY STAR

8. MUSIC

9. LIKE A PRAYER

10. EROTICA

Both are iconic in different ways but "Vogue" feels like another beast entirely so it gets my vote.

Remember the Superbowl commercial w/ Jay Leno. What song did they pick out of all M's discography as his ring tone? Answer: LAV

But! But! Not that a Jay Leno promo is at all a good measure ( :lol:), the full cut of the commercial actually used "Lucky Star" and "Vogue" instead:

"Vogue" was also the main feature of teaser commercials for the Super Bowl performance:

Moot point as she opened the show with "Vogue" and closed with "Like A Prayer" displaying the power of both. :inlove:

And bringing us back to the original debate.