"Waiting" Discussion

vocalism

Even more interesting than the JML sample (didn't realize that myself til just now), someone in a YT comment pointed out that the "break my heart / don't break my heart" lyric that's repeated near the end is taken from the outro of Nick Kamen's recording of Each Time You Break My Heart :wow: Maybe common knowledge but I only just found out. Begs the question why was she listening to True Blue rejects while recording Erotica though?

One of my favourite Madonna songs for sure, and one I relate to most. I think Slant Magazine's review sums up the magic of it best for me -

"Waiting," a veritable sequel to the steely, in-your-face spoken-word of "Justify My Love," addresses rejection and unrequited love in a more brutally honest fashion: "Don't go breaking my heart like you said you would," she sings despondently yet sincerely. Here's a woman who entered into a relationship after the man she loves told her he wouldn't be able to love her back. And yet she still took the risk, which is exactly what Erotica is about. Forget the whips and chains of the brilliant, otherworldly ode to S&M that is "Erotica"; "Waiting" is the ultimate masochism, one that's entered into with full knowledge of what the emotional consequences will be. The very first lyric, "Well, I know from experience that if you have to ask for something more than once or twice, it wasn't yours in the first place," which she utters with the same amount of interest a star of her stature might apply to buying a new pair of shoes, also happens to be one of the best opening lines to a pop song since "I guess I should have known by the way you parked your car sideways that it wouldn't last."

Even more interesting than the JML sample (didn't realize that myself til just now), someone in a YT comment pointed out that the "break my heart / don't break my heart" lyric that's repeated near the end is taken from the outro of Nick Kamen's recording of Each Time You Break My Heart :wow: Maybe common knowledge but I only just found out. Begs the question why was she listening to True Blue rejects while recording Erotica though?

You mean it's sampled or she just re-sung that part?

And I'm still not sure if she re-recorded the vocals for the remix. Anyone know? They sound different - crisper/clearer. But I don't know if it's just the mixing or something else. The phrasing is slightly different especially on the last line of the first verse.

One of my favourite Madonna songs for sure, and one I relate to most. I think Slant Magazine's review sums up the magic of it best for me -

:thumbsup:

I think Waiting is one of the sexiest songs she's ever recorded. It's beginning brings you to the atmosphere of lust, and her voice is deeply seductive. I love the lyrics in Secret Garden and Where Life Begins, but Waiting shows who's in charge.

Waiting

Secret Garden

Where Life Begins

This jazz/urban production worked very well... her spoken voice on it was the best... Erotica too, of course.

So much better than Justify My Love to me....

Did they sample "Justify My Love" during the chorus of "Waiting" or is she just saying it the same way?

Are you actually asking if the word Waiting can be used in different contests?

Yes it can. Although coming from the same hip hop and spoken lyrics genre the content of Waiting is completely different from Justify My Love.

In Justify My Love she is a woman who is burning with desire for the man she is in love with, it's a bit of pseudo sexual fantasy that can be easily perceived as romance.

In Waiting she's a woman who is tired of waiting for her lover and she's had enough of their tricks and she'd rather leave them than being kept waiting. Does she say waiting exactly the same way as she said waiting in Justify My Love? Duh.. she's the same singer, dumb ass! lol

Yes it can. Although coming from the same hip hop and spoken lyrics genre the content of Waiting is completely different from Justify My Love.

In Justify My Love she is a woman who is burning with desire for the man she is in love with, it's a bit of pseudo sexual fantasy that can be easily perceived as romance.

In Waiting she's a woman who is tired of waiting for her lover and she's had enough of their tricks and she'd rather leave them than being kept waiting. Does she say waiting exactly the same way as she said waiting in Justify My Love? Duh.. she's the same singer, dumb ass! lol

:doh:

Guest bluejean

Um :lol: I have no words for the stupidity of this post

Dude they actually sampled the lines from Justify My Love. They ARE the same vocals, cut and pasted.

"Contests" and "dumb ass" all in the same paragraph. That's funny.

• 2 months later...

It's ironic how a song that is so similar to justify my love in terms of being mainly spoken and its subject matter and even sample from said song can still be so different and so strong and fresh. A credit to Erotica and a credit to Madonna. Along with many here, I hate that it was never a single.

Indeed. Such a wonderful gem and IMO still a stronger track than Bad Girl.

"I knew it from that start that you would desert me....you're gonna break my heart baby please don't hurt me"

:drama: