Andre Betts. Lost in process...

karbatal

So Madonna was impressed with Andre Betts (my fav parts of Erotica are his works, instead of Pettibone's ones) and wanted to follow that direction for Bedtime Stories. It seems that the situation forced to look for well known producers and hit makers and the result was a SUPERB album, in my opinon.

But i always wondered how would have Madonna sounded in 1994 with Andre Betts and just found an album that he composed and produced in 1993. The girl is Carole Davis and it's pure magic. Classy, beautiful, some whispered songs, some 'talked' songs... I can clearly imagine Madonna singing some of these, instead of, for example, 'I'd Rather Be Your Lover' or 'Don't Stop".

http://youtu.be/xF-ppO1Qm5Y

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I was never a big fan of his tracks on Erotica, in the context of the album. I think it would have been a better album, and not overlong as it as, without them, as the change of style is too jarring. Although it would have been nice to hear the songs as part of another project perhaps...

love this, reminds me a little bit of Enigma. Cool. Though I dont see it as being a smash, but it would ve been better transition to ROL...

Were they supposed to work together for BS? I'm confused...

Anyway, he's stuff was the best of Erotica, he brought out a different side of M we had never saw. It's a shame cause Shep had the majority of the spotlight for that album and era. We never really heard much about the recording process with Andre and M, or I just haven't came across any articles from that time yet...

I read in Nightshade's timeline that she was into following the path that she had explored with Bett: more r'n'b,

""I started writing this album with Shep," she explains, "but I felt like I was writing the same kind of music over and over again. I was more interested in going back to the music that I originally started with which is R & B."

"May 2: Reports say that Madonna’s work with Babyface and Dallas Austin continues the vein of hiphop and R&B that she experimented with on Erotica with André Betts"

But i guess i read a bit more further and assumed that she didn't call Betts because he was too unknown or less commercial than she needed.

I read in Nightshade's timeline that she was into following the path that she had explored with Bett: more r'n'b,

""I started writing this album with Shep," she explains, "but I felt like I was writing the same kind of music over and over again. I was more interested in going back to the music that I originally started with which is R & B."

"May 2: Reports say that Madonna’s work with Babyface and Dallas Austin continues the vein of hiphop and R&B that she experimented with on Erotica with André Betts"

But i guess i read a bit more further and assumed that she didn't call Betts because he was too unknown or less commercial than she needed.

Yeah, I think she enjoyed working with Betts but after the career crisis that followed Erotica, I agree...she probably thought she needed a more commercially appealing sound. You can see a similar strategy that followed American Life.

Where Life Begins, Waiting and Secret Garden are top notch.

Waiting is a masterpiece IMO.

Andre Betts gave the Erotica album a soul.

I love all of these! In fact Secret Garden is one of my most favourite songs...it's beautiful!

Erotica is my favourite album!

HIS TRACKS ARE THE STAND-OUTS OF A MAGNIFICIENT ALBUM (WELL...THE ABSOLUTE BESTS ARE EROTICA AND DEEPER AND DEEPER, BUT STILL...), BUT A WHOLE BETTS ALBUM I DUNNO....

Yeah, I think she enjoyed working with Betts but after the career crisis that followed Erotica, I agree...she probably thought she needed a more commercially appealing sound. You can see a similar strategy that followed American Life.

Does that mean that she will try to go even more commercial after MDNA? :scared:

It's no the same case. MDNA was not a flop as big as Erotica o AL, because she went from hero to zero in both cases, and in MDNA case she went from meh to whatevah

:chuckle: