Will Madonna feature Katy Perry on her first single?

Will ha?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. .

• Yes, Madonna will let the light in and support Katy's rise to Pop Royalty
    • No, it will have no featuring
    • No, It will feature someone else

Let's see who are the victims of the Madonna curse so far (from 2003):
- Christina Aguilera (she was obviously the first one)

- Britney Spears (no need to explain)

- Missy Elliot (I think she was much more popular and successful before collaborating with M)

- Timbaland (failed to make a hit ever since, if i remember correctly)
- Justin Timberlake (well, I wouldn't say he is not successful, but his music career went downhill compared to his earlier years as a solo artist)

- Lady Gaga (she was lucky that the SNL collaboration did not harm her, but after the BTW/EY fiasco…)

- Nicki Minaj (we'll see about that, but I think her 5 minutes of fame is coming to an end)

- Miley Cyrus (she had a breakdown since they performed together)

Those who survived:

- Pharrell

- M.I.A. (I'm not sure about that to be honest)

- Cee Lo Green

Pending:

- Katy Perry

- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

This post is not in anyway meant to be rude or disrespectful, don't misunderstand it :) However, it's funny that many artists went downhill after they collaborated with M, so whoever is next on the list, should be afraid :D I also know that she worked together with many other artists, but they were the most significant ones in the last couple of years.

Edited by DanM

Guest Rachelle of London

Justin Timberlake has just had one of the biggest selling albums of the past year and is currently on a sold out tour. I think it fair to say he survived the curse.

Missy Elliott got very sick, so her working output was reduced. She still won a Grammy and had another album after R&R.

Timbaland has had Drunk in Love, jayz blueprint album, blurred lines and the new MJ project. This is all from the top of my head.

But we all know when M uttered the word "reductive" that was the final nail In the Gaga coffin

Guest RinoTheBouncer

I hope she does. Even though I’d take any solo Madonna song over any collaboration but if it helps the song chart to No.1, then why not? I’m not saying Madonna is fading and she needs a big star to make her chart but with the ageist radio stations, only kids of today are being airplay.

• 4 weeks later...

I know many fans who post here love Katy, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for no collaboration. I actually like some Katy catchy singles, but I rather have M choose someone else.

If a collaboration does wind up taking place.....I hope the song is good & it connects to a wider audience.

I truly believe madonna can do it on her own, that's more than obvious but since 2003, she seems to of got into a "habbit" of collaborations....an her last 2 leads HAD other people.....

Thing is, EVEN with the backing of the hirered in "cool kids" it doesn't guarantee her a hit....

GMAYL proves this, I hope Diplo convinces her to launch the album alone, it's all about the right music this time, I don't want some pop tarts stupid vocal on her new single JUST to try and earn a 1week spot on the billboard top ten.

Get over that! Thing is, what frustrates me is that Madonna doesn't NEED radio to play her to be HEARD....she STILL has TV, every show in town will book Madonna.....so if she creates enough buzz with the lead.....the downloads will follow....regardless of American radio stations!

I truly believe madonna can do it on her own, that's more than obvious but since 2003, she seems to of got into a "habbit" of collaborations....an her last 2 leads HAD other people.....

Thing is, EVEN with the backing of the hirered in "cool kids" it doesn't guarantee her a hit....

GMAYL proves this, I hope Diplo convinces her to launch the album alone, it's all about the right music this time, I don't want some pop tarts stupid vocal on her new single JUST to try and earn a 1week spot on the billboard top ten.

Get over that! Thing is, what frustrates me is that Madonna doesn't NEED radio to play her to be HEARD....she STILL has TV, every show in town will book Madonna.....so if she creates enough buzz with the lead.....the downloads will follow....regardless of American radio stations!

I believe radio will not play her, at least not at this time, without an artist who represents the format/demo audience...the last two lead singles with a duet or featuring, HELP prove this theory of mine. yes, GMAYL was a flop in many eyes, but that was due to the song itself....nicki and mia couldt even help. 4 mins was huge and shows the right song + right collaboration = a hit.

IMO I think Madonna wants a American radio hit again otherwise why would she work with whom she's working with? there are lots of EDM artists/producers out there...if that's the sound shes looking for...she went for NAMES for a reason. that's not negating your point about using TV to promote...sponsor ship deal, performances....all of it will help her chances of having her music get noticed.

it would be smart to have the lead a duet or featuring...but I just hope that the 2nd single gets some deal for attention too.

Edited by RebelHart

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CzarnaWisnia

Perry would be one of the most uninteresting choices for a duet but if it happens I hope we get a "clean" version too like we did with GMAYL, which allowed me to flush the undesirable album cut.

Let's see who are the victims of the Madonna curse so far (from 2003):

- Christina Aguilera (she was obviously the first one)

- Britney Spears (no need to explain)

- Missy Elliot (I think she was much more popular and successful before collaborating with M)

- Timbaland (failed to make a hit ever since, if i remember correctly)

- Justin Timberlake (well, I wouldn't say he is not successful, but his music career went downhill compared to his earlier years as a solo artist)

- Lady Gaga (she was lucky that the SNL collaboration did not harm her, but after the BTW/EY fiasco…)

- Nicki Minaj (we'll see about that, but I think her 5 minutes of fame is coming to an end)

- Miley Cyrus (she had a breakdown since they performed together)

Those who survived:

- Pharrell

- M.I.A. (I'm not sure about that to be honest)

- Cee Lo Green

Pending:

- Katy Perry

- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

This post is not in anyway meant to be rude or disrespectful, don't misunderstand it :) However, it's funny that many artists went downhill after they collaborated with M, so whoever is next on the list, should be afraid :D I also know that she worked together with many other artists, but they were the most significant ones in the last couple of years.

I don't think that M was a kiss of death. It just shows that the peak of these artists career was collaborating with M. She tries to only attach herself with artists that are peaking. Collaborating with M is like winning the Oscars: sure you can brag about it for the rest of your life but it means you've peaked. There are always exceptions but a few years later, you're sort of over as major player.

You can take Timbaland off that list now cause he's had a new found success as of lately.

And I wouldn't count Missy as account of her Graves' disease.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope not! I have nothing against Katy perry but to me she is boring and not worthy of a Madonna collaboration.

What I am REALLY nervous about though is a Madonna/ Miley Cyrus collaboration/ abomination. That scares me to no end.

Madonna is much more authentic and interesting on her own.

Her duets have never been that fascinating. Even with Prince. "Love song" is okay but the concept probably looked better on paper. Like a Prayer is a much more interesting album on the M only tracks.

i think her best duet was "Be careful w/ my heart" with Ricky Martin. I also think it is vastly underrated. It is a great song. Their voices compliment each other. It is a shame nothing really was done with the song.

I don't want any duets this time BUT

If there "has to" be one, I'd rather Katy Perry than Miley Cyrus anyday of the week!

Miley comes across far to desperate to be controversial, perry is what she is as plays it rather well without all the drama of trying to hard!

Perry is STILL a weak choice to share a mic with Madonna.....but Miley is just white trash, and is a pop teen with all the immaturity to go with it....a truly bad choice of duet partner.

I don't want any duets this time BUT

If there "has to" be one, I'd rather Katy Perry than Miley Cyrus anyday of the week!

Miley comes across far to desperate to be controversial, perry is what she is as plays it rather well without all the drama of trying to hard!

Perry is STILL a weak choice to share a mic with Madonna.....but Miley is just white trash, and is a pop teen with all the immaturity to go with it....a truly bad choice of duet partner.

Completely agree, you said it better than I did.

The one good thing that would come out of a collab with Katy is the single would sell well.

If it's a great song (Hung Up great) it would be massive.

I'd love to see Madonna sell 5 million copies or more of the new single.

I have a gut feeling the lead single isn't gonna be a duet but there'll be album tracks with probably Katy and Miley featured on them. That's just the vibe I'm getting, I don't know why. And I'm a Pisces so I know shit!

I have a gut feeling the lead single isn't gonna be a duet but there'll be album tracks with probably Katy and Miley featured on them. That's just the vibe I'm getting, I don't know why. And I'm a Pisces so I know shit!

I have a feeling this could be the case too, that they aren't on the main single but are on the record. There could also be features by Natalia and Pharrell too

It would be nice to have a first single with just Madonna, she hasn't done this since Hung Up (unless you include Celebration)