If you could be a fly on the wall...

Guest Not4Pussies

Guest Not4Pussies

On any of Ms album recording sessions which ones would they be and why?

For me, her first album just to hear and see how it all began. Madonna finally recording her first album.

Erotica, such a dark album that inspired some of her best lyrics. Erotica Diaries coming to life.

Ray Of Light, she bared her soul for that album and was fully inspired. What we got to see in Ultrasound with Kurt Loder, was fascinating.

Hard Candy, just to see what type of chemistry she had with Pharrells sexy ass. How she worked with Kanye. Two big egos in the room and of course to witness what really happened when Pharrell made M cry.

Hmmmm....

LAP, because it's such a mystery to me. No pun intended.

Then Erotica, just to see the Erotica diaries come to life.

Then Bedtime Stories, since I really don't have any sense of what those sessions were like aside from Madonna saying she felt like a babysitter. I also have the platinum Madonna in my head, but she really looked like this during the recording sessions, which is weird to me since I picture her like she looks on the album cover, much softer and less edgy:

s5ae08421c2b8fe74e01b0bcbaed11073.jpg

Erotica. I wanna know what guys she was fucking seeing. Plus we know nothing about the collaboration between her and Andre. It was a different time for M all before the book and album dropped. I'd even be a fly on the wall for the meetings she had with Warner.

American Life comes to mind since it was such an intimate album with basically 1 producer. The convos she had with Mirwsis about society and politics would b interesting to hear

Good topic!!

Definitely LAP, because like Vocalism said, it is kinda mysterious to me. It was obviously a time when she was very inspired. I like to say that magic happened in the studio at that time. But yeah, I would love to have been there to observe the creation of some of the greatest pop songs ever written: Like a Prayer, Express Yourself, Cherish. And to witness the emotional birth of Promise To Try, Till Death Do Us Part, and Oh Father... And to see the passion in her face as she belted out that chorus to Spanish Eyes. :dramatic: It would be a real treat to get a glimpse into the making of Supernatural, as well. Overall, a thoroughly interesting album with such deeply personal and powerful messages, I can't imagine a better behind-the-scenes experience.

Hard Candy.On this album,Madonna was working with some big name celebrities...Justin,Kanye West.Pharrell.It would be interesting to see if any egos clashed,or if there was any drama (besides the "Pharrell made me cry" incident) :)

During MDNA, and so every time she put a foot wrong I would fly around and irritate the shit out of her. Watch out for the Mortein!

Or alternatively, Something to Remember and their decision making.

Wasn't there a rumor or something about Madonna yelling like crazy to tire out her voice to give it a more raspy sound for some of the songs on Like a Prayer?

Why do I recall reading something like that a long ass time ago.

Erotica. I wanna know what guys she was fucking seeing. Plus we know nothing about the collaboration between her and Andre. It was a different time for M all before the book and album dropped. I'd even be a fly on the wall for the meetings she had with Warner.

In my fantasies, she didn't get spooked by the backlash and decided to work with Andre Betts on all/most of BS instead of the big R&B names at the time.

Erotica. After reading the Erotica Diaries it's obvious that so much love and attention to detail was put into that album, from the choice of microphones, the various samples, the lyric rewrites, the fact that it was mixed to analogue tape to give it a warmer sound. It would have been fascinating to watch.

It would also have been interesting to see COAD come together in Stuart Price's attic.

"Bedtime Stories" -- She was in such a unique place in her career at this point. She was still a megastar able to move huge numbers of albums, but she was despised by the general public. I'd love to see how she worked at the absolute low point of her career, how those external pressures inspired / motivated her and how they depressed / stressed her.

Also, I'd love to see how she managed to put together an album with four different producers that spans R&B, pop, electronica, and hip hop while still managing to make it sound cohesive.

Also also, I'd love to be a fly on the wall for those very early "Bedtime Stories" recording sessions -- back when Shep was still involved with the project. I'd love to see "Secret" go from the rumored 70s throwback disco / dance song to the slow-burning R&B track we got.

Hard Candy.On this album,Madonna was working with some big name celebrities...Justin,Kanye West.Pharrell.It would be interesting to see if any egos clashed,or if there was any drama (besides the "Pharrell made me cry" incident) :)

Do we know how Pharrell made her cry or is it still a mystery?

Do we know how Pharrell made her cry or is it still a mystery?

We don't know how exactly but she talked about it during one of the interviews in Cannes in 2008 I think. She couldn't sing one note the way he wanted and then they had a discussion and she told him "you can't talk to me like that" and cried and he said "uuuhhh, Madonna has a heart". lol

I forgot to mention (and I've mentioned this before), but I came pretty close to being a fly on the wall during LAP in 2000 when a friend of a friend played me a cassette tape of the works-in-progress. It included LAP without the choir, an early version of "Cherish," plus an unknown song I never heard before (probably "First Is a Kiss" or "Love Attack" but I don't recall). I don't even recall what the song sounded like, but I don't remember it being better than anything on the album. I truly regret not trying harder to get a copy, but he never would have let me. This was before all the internet leaks and he said if it ever got out the person who gave it to him would get in trouble. Anyway, I have very little memory of what any of the songs sounded like, but it was a nice night.

^ I'm surprised you have little memory of what the songs sounded like. That would have been seared in my brain forever haha. I'd love to hear the early version of Cherish.

^ I'm surprised you have little memory of what the songs sounded like. That would have been seared in my brain forever haha. I'd love to hear the early version of Cherish.

But then over the years, you'd be listening to the final album versions. Whatever those album versions sounded like, would be hard to recall when you can't get the album mix out of your head.

Would like to know what that unreleased song was..., was it Just a Dream?

^ Yeah, I mean, I only heard them once, in a small room filled with people and I'm pretty sure the adrenaline was running really high since this was before all of the internet leaks and LAP is my favorite album of all time. I think he might have even been fast-forwarding through the tape and playing bits and pieces and I think I believed I would somehow be able to get a copy and listen more closely another time. What I do remember very clearly is LAP without the choir. It felt really naked and unfinished. All of the songs just felt very demo-like. Very similar to, say, the early "Live to Tell" demo that's out there. Vocals a little rough, instrumentation not full. I have no idea what the unreleased song was at all. I have not recollection other than that it was something I'd never heard before. I may have known the title at the time, but it was at least 13 years ago.

I'm still in touch with the friend who knows the guy, but I've never asked again because I know what the answer will be, but if the occasion arises, I might mention it again. With all of the leaks that have happened, I doubt M's camp would care much. They seem to only care about new stuff leaking.

On a side note: I'm certain he was a huge Madonna fan (there was an entire spare bedroom devoted to M paraphernalia), so I would be shocked if he's not active in a Madonna forum. REVEAL YOURSELF!