M's Most Vulnerable Song?

IsaacHarris

Which song would you consider her most emotionally charged? We all know our girl can go deep, and she does often, but try your best to pick just one! Your choice doesn't necessarily mean it's your favorite song either. So, of all her ballads & down-tempo tracks, which song do you think paints the most accurate picture of SADdonna?

Please get into this thread while it's hot because this is a rare moment for me; not only am I gonna honor a Madonna song that's not an uptempo dancetastic JAM but I'm also choosing a track from Ray of Light (shocking for me, yes, I know). BELIEVE IT!

I was walking home from work last night in the snow, playlist on shuffle, when The Power of Goodbye came on. I never really 'heard' it until then, never really connected with the song or understood what (or who) she was even talking about. I know it's well loved round these parts, but I used to think of it as an unlistenable icy ballad. I now see what all the hooplah is about.

tumblr_lvwa75lAps1qb98jbo7_250.giftumblr_lvwa75lAps1qb98jbo5_250.giftumblr_lvwa75lAps1qb98jbo6_250.gif

The electronic whirs & those FUCKING VIOLINS really set the tone for my trek through the cold. Musically, it transported me to that same somber blue-tinted beach in the video. It's so atmospheric! Like all my favorite Madonna songs, there's a lyrical simplicity to it as well. She couldn't be more clear, more direct, more heart-breakingly poignant & concise. The vocal delivery is undeniably sad too. There's this sense of devastation in her voice, especially during the 2nd verse; 'the spell has been BROKEEEEEEEEEEEEN... I loved you sooooooooo..." -I got chills yall, and not from the wind either :dramatic:

tumblr_mywolhJA4T1qd3w8ko1_r1_500.gif

It reads like a tragic-yet-triumphant love letter. She acknowledges the pain her lover caused her, deciding it's best to sever all ties and move on. In the midst of her sadness there are glimmers of hope & closure. UGH, I hate to sound corny but it really is an EMPOWERING message. I used to skip always TPOG, but her honesty is just too undeniable to glaze over. I admire the fact that she's able to put herself out there, fully, and deliver truthful music. I love her willingness to be completely open instead of singing from her ego, always being poised and fabulous. Never underestimate the power of a Madonna song and it's ability to grow on you.

YOUR TURN

I'm not sure. The first that pop out in my head are Mer Girl, Drowned World, Till Death, and Promise To Try.

I'll have to think about this more...

Guest Not4Pussies

Please get into this thread while it's hot because this is a rare moment for me; not only am I gonna honor a Madonna song that's not an uptempo dancetastic JAM but I'm also choosing a track from Ray of Light (shocking for me, yes, I know). BELIEVE IT!

I was walking home from work last night in the snow, playlist on shuffle, when The Power of Goodbye came on. I never really 'heard' it until then, never really connected with the song or understood what (or who) she was even talking about. I know it's well loved round these parts, but I used to think of it as an unlistenable icy ballad. I now see what all the hooplah is about.

tumblr_lvwa75lAps1qb98jbo7_250.giftumblr_lvwa75lAps1qb98jbo5_250.giftumblr_lvwa75lAps1qb98jbo6_250.gif

The electronic whirs & those FUCKING VIOLINS really set the tone for my trek through the cold. Musically, it transported me to that same somber blue-tinted beach in the video. It's so atmospheric! Like all my favorite Madonna songs, there's a lyrical simplicity to it as well. She couldn't be more clear, more direct, more heart-breakingly poignant & concise. The vocal delivery is undeniably sad too. There's this sense of devastation in her voice, especially during the 2nd verse; 'the spell has been BROKEEEEEEEEEEEEN... I loved you sooooooooo..." -I got chills yall, and not from the wind either :dramatic:

tumblr_mywolhJA4T1qd3w8ko1_r1_500.gif

It reads like a tragic-yet-triumphant love letter. She acknowledges the pain her lover caused her, deciding it's best to sever all ties and move on. In the midst of her sadness there are glimmers of hope & closure. UGH, I hate to sound corny but it really is an EMPOWERING message. I used to skip always TPOG, but her honesty is just too undeniable to glaze over. I admire the fact that she's able to put herself out there, fully, and deliver truthful music. I love her willingness to be completely open instead of singing from her ego, always being poised and fabulous. Never underestimate the power of a Madonna song and it's ability to grow on you.

YOUR TURN

one of my all time favorite songs. the demo is even more vulnerable. her voice breaking down at the end,

The is the most beautiful love song!!! I love the lyrics, the music and makes me cry when I listen this song!

Time Stood Still

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOlZ84rWBmw

Edited by l3oMDNA

Oh Father

Live To Tell

The Look Of Love

Waiting

Take A Bow

This Used To Be My Playground

Open Your Heart

You Must Love Me

Lament

Skin

Nobodys Perfect

Intervention

Nobody Knows Me

Love Spent

Masterpiece

I Fucked Up

No Substitute For Love

Like A Flower

Time Stood Still

Has To Be

I'm sorry to post so many. Not sure which I would consider her most vunerable. Possibly Live To Tell.

Beautiful thread Isaac and wonderful that you can appreciate The Power of Goodbye.

I have 4 others apart from TPOG that stand out to me as vulnerable heart-breaking songs - Live to tell, Inside of me, Promise to try and This used to be my Playground. All incredibly sad with deep meanings and performed so beautifully. I could name so many more but am not even going into the sad love songs that she also sings with so much emotional and feeling. I don't care what anyone says, I don't think any singer can surpass Madonna when she sings ballads.

The Power of Goodbye and Love Tried To Welcome Me. Those two get me everytime :(

On a side note, do you guys remember M's Inside the Music special. Right at the end when she ends the show saying "hopefully it will get me to the truth" the credits went on with TPOG and a retrospective of her videos in slow motion... It felt like some sort of In Memoriam, it was HEARTBREAKING!