Forthcoming Madonna Album: Rumors, Speculation and Discussion

i hate the orbit / batiste mdna team. money hungry users. they gave a half assed contribution to m and took her fucking money. i hope she never touches orbit or that crew again. bennassi and slovig were amazing though. love spent was over-rated.

You make very little sense, to be fair.

I'd love something mid-tempo.

I would have loved an album of dance-folk a la "Love Spent," but Avicii has beat that horse to death now. (Orbit was ahead of the curve on that one.)

If Madonna ever works with Avicii properly I'll fucking kill myself. The GGW remix was cool and it should be left there.

it seems this rumour is not dying…at least the guardian doesn't want that …yet

Madonna – ditch the leotard and embrace the ballad
Madge? Adele? Singing ballads together? It might sound like a strange combination, but I'd welcome a change of pace
Madonna-in-concert-at-Hyd-008.jpg
In vogue … Madonna is reportedly to produce an album of ballads with Adele. Photograph: Richard Young / Rex Features

Reports suggesting that Madonna is planning to enlist Adele to write an album of "grown-up ballads" are likely to be met with a protracted groan from much of her fanbase, and I can see why. She's the woman responsible for Vogue, Like a Prayer and Ray of Light, so shouldn't she leave Adele songs to, you know, Adele? I'm a fan myself, and usually the prospect of a bangers-free Madonna album would fill me with dread too. But this time it's different.

I've always loved Madonna. I loved her as an obnoxious street urchin; I loved her as a gold-toothed dominatrix. I even loved her as a goth. But in recent years, I fear that she may have lost her way: I refer to this period as "the leotard era". It's become a cliche to call her the queen of reinvention, but for the last few years her career has become increasingly reliant on slutdropping to half-arsed EDM. I can't say I've revelled in this current blip, which has seen her flash a nipple at concerts in Paris and Istanbul for reasons best known to only her, release a song charmingly titled Gang Bang and – I can still barely bring myself to believe that this actually happened – perform with LMFAO.

It's not that I think she's too old for such nonsense (she's Madonna!) and not because it's unladylike or unsightly (she's Madonna!). The reason that I haven't got on board with this era is because as a fan I can't help but worry that it's stunts such as these that have begun to trivialise her own legacy.

When she proudly displayed her bits during the Erotica/Sex period it felt like she had something to say, however muddled the message. But when she thrusts her crotch at the camera these days, it feels like the opposite is true.

Reading on mobile? Click here to view

Of course, it would be farcical to be outraged at an artist famed for taking her clothes off for taking her clothes off; it's just that post-American Life it feels like her staunch commitment to exposing her naked form has become more about her than her audience. Worst of all, this approach has become boring. In the past she's been criticised for favouring style over substance, but anyone who's been paying even vague attention knows that she's released some of the most innovative, life-affirming and danceable pop music of the last 30 years. Admittedly, even the leotard era has yielded some great moments – Confessions on a Dancefloor was great – but it has since seen diminishing returns. I'm sad to have witnessed the reinventions drying up, and to a significant extent the music with them.

For most of her career Madonna has been ahead of the curve, so it's been an uncomfortable sight watching her chase a hit by any means, whether it be by trying her hand at hip-hop, dueting with Justin Timberlake and Nicki Minaj or chanting "My sugar is raw, sticky and sweet" with all the subtlety of Lee Ryan inviting two D-listers to join him for a threesome. Saddest of all, it hasn't worked. By her own standards,the albums haven't sold.

I'd hate to see her release an album of ballads just because that's what she's convinced will sell in a post-Adele world, or to pacify a public who believe an older woman's place in pop is standing next to a piano looking forlorn. But equally, some of her best pop moments, from Live to Tell to The Power of Goodbye, have been ballads. At this point, I'd welcome a change of pace. Changes of pace are what Madonna does (did?) best.

Of course, it's not really any of my business if she wants to pop a nipple out every now and then. I just hope that she hasn't forgotten all those other amazing things she's capable of. Come on, Madge. Give us Frozen, part two. Preferably without a video that features you doing the splits in a black tanga brief, surrounded by baffled crows in the desert.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/jan/13/madonna-adele-ballads

Edited by justinian

For me personally, following M's career since HC has been great fun to experience & love the music & tours. At the same time, the writer seems to be expressing what I heard some fans have been feeling over the past few years.

Also, never listened to Adele's music, but I'm willing to give the collaboration the chance if it's true. Still rather have her choose someone to work with that's not so popular.

I was just thinking about this last night. M's got so many great ballads ("The Power of Good-bye," "I'll Remember," "You'll See," "Oh Father," "Gone," "Love Tried to Welcome Me," etc.). And while many of them were hits, even #1's, I think there are only THREE ballads that are "remembered" today:

Crazy for You

Live to Tell

Take a Bow

The are the only three M ballads that still get regular rotation on U.S. radio. Not sure what it means, but just thought about it recently.

:megamanson::megamanson::megamanson::megamanson::megamanson::megamanson::megamanson::megamanson::megamanson:

"Gang Bang" and "Love Spent" are the album's two standout tracks.

Banassi is f-ing hack.

Love Spent is an amateur mess, it's a great 'song' but the 'record' is a train wreck in terms of production.

it seems this rumour is not dying…at least the guardian doesn't want that …yet

Madonna – ditch the leotard and embrace the ballad
Madge? Adele? Singing ballads together? It might sound like a strange combination, but I'd welcome a change of pace
Madonna-in-concert-at-Hyd-008.jpg
In vogue … Madonna is reportedly to produce an album of ballads with Adele. Photograph: Richard Young / Rex Features

Reports suggesting that Madonna is planning to enlist Adele to write an album of "grown-up ballads" are likely to be met with a protracted groan from much of her fanbase, and I can see why. She's the woman responsible for Vogue, Like a Prayer and Ray of Light, so shouldn't she leave Adele songs to, you know, Adele? I'm a fan myself, and usually the prospect of a bangers-free Madonna album would fill me with dread too. But this time it's different.

I've always loved Madonna. I loved her as an obnoxious street urchin; I loved her as a gold-toothed dominatrix. I even loved her as a goth. But in recent years, I fear that she may have lost her way: I refer to this period as "the leotard era". It's become a cliche to call her the queen of reinvention, but for the last few years her career has become increasingly reliant on slutdropping to half-arsed EDM. I can't say I've revelled in this current blip, which has seen her flash a nipple at concerts in Paris and Istanbul for reasons best known to only her, release a song charmingly titled Gang Bang and – I can still barely bring myself to believe that this actually happened – perform with LMFAO.

It's not that I think she's too old for such nonsense (she's Madonna!) and not because it's unladylike or unsightly (she's Madonna!). The reason that I haven't got on board with this era is because as a fan I can't help but worry that it's stunts such as these that have begun to trivialise her own legacy.

When she proudly displayed her bits during the Erotica/Sex period it felt like she had something to say, however muddled the message. But when she thrusts her crotch at the camera these days, it feels like the opposite is true.

Reading on mobile? Click here to view

Of course, it would be farcical to be outraged at an artist famed for taking her clothes off for taking her clothes off; it's just that post-American Life it feels like her staunch commitment to exposing her naked form has become more about her than her audience. Worst of all, this approach has become boring. In the past she's been criticised for favouring style over substance, but anyone who's been paying even vague attention knows that she's released some of the most innovative, life-affirming and danceable pop music of the last 30 years. Admittedly, even the leotard era has yielded some great moments – Confessions on a Dancefloor was great – but it has since seen diminishing returns. I'm sad to have witnessed the reinventions drying up, and to a significant extent the music with them.

For most of her career Madonna has been ahead of the curve, so it's been an uncomfortable sight watching her chase a hit by any means, whether it be by trying her hand at hip-hop, dueting with Justin Timberlake and Nicki Minaj or chanting "My sugar is raw, sticky and sweet" with all the subtlety of Lee Ryan inviting two D-listers to join him for a threesome. Saddest of all, it hasn't worked. By her own standards,the albums haven't sold.

I'd hate to see her release an album of ballads just because that's what she's convinced will sell in a post-Adele world, or to pacify a public who believe an older woman's place in pop is standing next to a piano looking forlorn. But equally, some of her best pop moments, from Live to Tell to The Power of Goodbye, have been ballads. At this point, I'd welcome a change of pace. Changes of pace are what Madonna does (did?) best.

Of course, it's not really any of my business if she wants to pop a nipple out every now and then. I just hope that she hasn't forgotten all those other amazing things she's capable of. Come on, Madge. Give us Frozen, part two. Preferably without a video that features you doing the splits in a black tanga brief, surrounded by baffled crows in the desert.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/jan/13/madonna-adele-ballads

tumblr_m2iz68OEaf1r317bvo1_500.gif

Love Spent is an amateur mess, it's a great 'song' but the 'record' is a train wreck in terms of production.

Exactly. Orbit gave pure shit in terms of production along with his team. Benniasi was really the only true pro on the record. I'm Addicted is one of her greatest recorded songs ever.

he can eat grits and pie. orbit and his team ruined her career with the garbage offered to madonna for mdna. bennassi was the only good one.

Well, first of all, when it comes to music, nobody can ruin Madonna's career but Madonna herself. It's still her choice to work with whoever she wants to.

And I do kinda agree about Love Spent, the album version suffers from a very inferior production, especially when it comes to vocals. However, do you really consider Girl Gone Wild to be a better song than, let's say, Gang Bang? The only reason I'm Addicted didn't turn into a generic-sounding messy shit song like GGW is because of Demo Castellon. GGW is the real sound of Benassi.

Mid tempo album please in the vein of Music, AL or ROL w/ slammin underground club remixes. No duets.

Yes! I would like some ballads but not all ballads. I think an album does need some variation in pace, so I would like some mid tempo songs as well with some interesting rhythms. For example. something like Don't Tell Me which was a hit on US radio and is still played. I'm not a big club person, but I think remixes are very important to her career and part of who she is. So I think an album would need stuff that would lend itself to remixes, which straight up ballads don't always do.

I was just thinking about this last night. M's got so many great ballads ("The Power of Good-bye," "I'll Remember," "You'll See," "Oh Father," "Gone," "Love Tried to Welcome Me," etc.). And while many of them were hits, even #1's, I think there are only THREE ballads that are "remembered" today:

Crazy for You

Live to Tell

Take a Bow

The are the only three M ballads that still get regular rotation on U.S. radio. Not sure what it means, but just thought about it recently.

Maybe it means US radio doesn't play that many ballads. A lot of Top 40 stations are rhythmic so they don't do a lot of slower songs. Even AC stations have lots of uptempo and midtempo songs. People listen to radio at work so they don't want something that puts them to sleep. Radio stations like to keep the energy up, not depress their listeners since ballads tend to be sad and about heartbreak a lot of the time.

The main problem with a ballad album is how would it translate live? I would definitely enjoy listening to a slower album at home because I love her ballads and her voice. But I'm not sure I would like a Madonna concert dominated by slower songs. At a Madonna concert, I want to dance and get pumped up and be excited. She does tend to do most of the new album on her tours. If the album was all ballads, she would have to do more of her older songs to balance out the tempo of the concert.

Guest ditaluver

anything M does, I will love. there really isnt a song I dont love...except one more chance. that just stinks

she does NOT get enough credit for her cataloge and how diverse it is. each album is totally diff from the last. that is what makes her special. no matter who she works with, it will be awesome. its madonna.

Mid tempo album please in the vein of Music, AL or ROL w/ slammin underground club remixes. No duets.

This is my dream. The whole American Life era was amazing; the album, remixes, production, tour.