Miley compares her VMA performance to Madonna's LAV VMA performance

realityisalways

SNF21BIZ7---_1731815a.jpg

Last night, I was talking about some Madonna performances, and I said, “At some point, everything becomes irrelevant.” Like, no one even thinks about when she did Like a Virgin at the VMAs. That just becomes a standard, where it’s just like, “Oh, that’s her thing.” So, I feel like now that I did the VMAs, that just kind of became a standard for me, and then anytime I do anything else, they’re like, “Miley kept it tame tonight".

[X]

Guest Pud Whacker

its somewhat true. on xmas my auntie and dad were saying how madonna was always so classy and polished never vulgar like miley cyrus. i kept my mouth shut but was thinking, how fast people forget.

This girl starts to sound deluded now, when Madonna performed LAV absolutely no one had done that before, when Miley did the VMAs millions of girls were already twerking all over the world, not to mention that most of those girls were twerking so much better than her, she got people talking about it but she brought nothing new to the table, so don't compare yourself to Madonna.

You know what, it has some truth to it. Rip out the self-serving Madonna reference, and I do think people will hold that MTV performance as benchmark for Miley. Same thing with the Gargamel messy clown benchmark.

This girl starts to sound deluded now, when Madonna performed LAV absolutely no one had done that before, when Miley did the VMAs millions of girls were already twerking all over the world, not to mention that most of those girls were twerking so much better than her, she got people talking about it but she brought nothing new to the table, so don't compare yourself to Madonna.

This. Madonna took a HUGE risk when she did that performance, it could have ended her career right away. Miley took no risks, she knew it would boost her career. In the Internet age, "shocking" performances don't really ruin careers anymore.

I could be wrong but it sounds to me like Miley was either misquoted or mucked up what she was trying to say. That is because what she said did not make any sense. I know she has often talked about how much she admires Madonna so it all seems a bit strange.

I can't believe how popular Miley's VMA performance & wrecking ball video has been in popular culture. Madonna's first VMA performance was iconic and very talked about for years, but she had so many iconic songs, videos, and tour performances right after the first VMA.

Don't know all of Miley's music, but I don't see her performing in all these iconic videos and tour performances in the future(I'm probably wrong!!)

I can't believe how popular Miley's VMA performance & wrecking ball video has been in popular culture. Madonna's first VMA performance was iconic and very talked about for years, but she had so many iconic songs, videos, and tour performances right after the first VMA.

Don't know all of Miley's music, but I don't see her performing in all these iconic videos and tour performances in the future(I'm probably wrong!!)

Very true. Madonna topped herself and created iconic moments throughout her career - no one was ever going back to the MTV Awards 84 to judge her. Miley is likely to have only that performance and wrecking ball as the highlight of her career.

And really, only loons and grandmas remember the wedding dress off the top of their heads.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Miley twerking furore more to do with "this child star has become a train wreck, turning into just another slut "

Whereas Madonna's LAV furore was more "who is this? What on earth is she doing? She CANT do that ! Stop her, that's not allowed! " ... Then the whole western world changed.

I could be wrong but it sounds to me like Miley was either misquoted or mucked up what she was trying to say. That is because what she said did not make any sense. I know she has often talked about how much she admires Madonna so it all seems a bit strange.

Didn't Miley always cited Britney Spears as her biggest influence (which is not surprising...). I don't think she cares about Madonna at all.

The quote makes no sense. You're all getting worked up over nothing. It wasn't meant to throw any shade towards Madonna or show Miley made more of an iconic moment. You people spend too much hating on people and things for the ridiculous reasons. And yes, she does have a point from what I make of what is being said. People tend to reference back to a certain point of one's career and assume that's all that person is capable of doing, and when they do something different, they are shocked at how tame they were.