Madonna should probably avoid touring in 2014

Apples388

Guest Rachelle of London

Um NO. MDNA Dublin was a complete wash-out of a disaster in a half empty stadium. And Brum, despite only an 11,000 capacity took an absolute age to sell and even then was full of old codger couples looking for a GH show. Edinburgh was the highlight of a disastrous MDNA UK leg and even that was semi-crap what with it being, well, Edinburgh. Every pop act usually plays Glasgow So yes, Madge should play The Hydro in Glasgow next tour and obviously she'll always play London..INDOORS next time thanks.

Really? I tried to get tickets for the Bham show and I couldn't, I had to buy them off eBay. The show actually got good reviews despite having many malfunctions lol. And back in the spring of MDNA 2012, the average person didn't even know she was touring, hopefully this time there won't be a repeat of releasing an album no one knows about.

Hard Candy and MDNA were both flops (MDNA far more so) by Madonna standards

you're getting pretty annoying with this shyt over and over

there were plenty of tickets available online before she reached USA and South America

Um NO. MDNA Dublin was a complete wash-out of a disaster in a half empty stadium. And Brum, despite only an 11,000 capacity took an absolute age to sell and even then was full of old codger couples looking for a GH show. Edinburgh was the highlight of a disastrous MDNA UK leg and even that was semi-crap what with it being, well, Edinburgh. Every pop act usually plays Glasgow So yes, Madge should play The Hydro in Glasgow next tour and obviously she'll always play London..INDOORS next time thanks.

FLOP TOUR

:laugh:

Dublin was classed as sold out as the ticket threshold was met even though you could squeeze in another 16,000. The show earned over $3M so this is what will influence the decision to come to Dublin in the future! A hit single and album would have increased attendance.

I am still in shock that U2 is such a huge touring act. Has anyone actually met anyone that is a big fan of U2?
:huh:

I view them like REM. Just a boring group of guys who had some big hits a long time ago. I don't get it. Nothing iconic or legendary to crow about.

I am still in shock that U2 is such a huge touring act. Has anyone actually met anyone that is a big fan of U2?

:huh:

I view them like REM. Just a boring group of guys who had some big hits a long time ago. I don't get it. Nothing iconic or legendary to crow about.

they are a safe Rock act

the type of concert that everyone from 5 yo to 80 yo can go

still better than Coldplay , the safest/most boring group of all

U2 (band): Why is U2 so popular?

Answer summary:

•Big market
•Product market fit
•Usability

Big Market

Imagine you’re a middle-aged, upper-middle-class male. You live in a large metropolitan area. You have a good job. Your wife does Pilates. Your oldest just started kindergarten. Yes, you’re an adult, but you’re still cool! Your jeans cost $125. Sometimes you wear sneakers with a blazer!

You like the idea of being a guy who’s into live music, but the last few concerts you’ve been to were (a) too loud, (b) too crowded, © too foreign (you were lucky if you recognized one song). You’ll snap a few photos with your smartphone and tell your bros about it to get some street cred, but let’s face it: you didn’t enjoy yourself. There are millions of you. And you’re willing to drop cash to have a concert make you feel cool again.

Product Market Fit

Then you learn that U2 is coming to town—U2! Earnest, melodic, Oprah-endorsed U2! $200 a ticket? No problem. You get a sitter. Your wife is excited—this is going to be great! You invite some friends from college to join you.

On the way, you listen to the “early stuff.” The Joshua Tree pumps through the speakers of your Lexus SUV (no judgment—you have two kids!). The harmonies soothe. The lyrics are straightforward. You recall a simpler time before car seats and prostate exams. The nostalgia is so thick you have to wipe it from your face. You haven’t looked at your phone in nearly 11 minutes.

You arrive at the show and see yourself everywhere. Tasteful North Face and Patagonia jackets abound. The stands are awash in earth tones. No one is shoving. No one has a nose ring. These are your people.

Usability

The band begins with A SONG YOU RECOGNIZE! You’re on your feet. You’re drinking “craft” beer. Everyone is singing terribly.

And the best part—YOU CAN DANCE HERE! 80,000 people surround you and there’s not a coordinated movement in sight. Even the band sets a low bar. Bono doesn’t so much dance as lunge and bounce. The other guys seem content to nod and rock. All around you, middle-aged people are rocking and lunging and bouncing and singing badly. Is that guy wearing Tod’s loafers and a Barbour jacket? Yes, he is. And he’s in the zone.

The set is basically a greatest hits playlist. The band graciously performs two new songs that no one recognizes to give you a few minutes to use the john and grab another IPA. They might as well flash an intermission sign.

Even the political statements go down smooth: “Democracy!” “Fight AIDS!” How could you possibly disagree? You’re not only dancing and reminiscing—you’re spreading freedom and reasonably-priced medicines to distant lands!

And the kicker: not one, but TWO encores, the ones you know best—the ones you first heard that summer you painted houses or kissed Katie at the beach party. You’re closing your eyes now. This is sad and sweet. You put your arm around your wife. You’re wondering if Katie ever got married. A third of the crowd departs after the first encore. It’s no big deal; some of us have work in the morning! Anyway, the traffic will be better if everyone doesn't leave at once.

she should release the album early 2015 and tour summer/end of 2015 it will have been 3 years and demand will be high. She should focus on the music though then let the tour follow.

U2 (band): Why is U2 so popular?

Answer summary:

•Big market

•Product market fit

•Usability

Big Market

Imagine you’re a middle-aged, upper-middle-class male. You live in a large metropolitan area. You have a good job. Your wife does Pilates. Your oldest just started kindergarten. Yes, you’re an adult, but you’re still cool! Your jeans cost $125. Sometimes you wear sneakers with a blazer!

You like the idea of being a guy who’s into live music, but the last few concerts you’ve been to were (a) too loud, (b) too crowded, © too foreign (you were lucky if you recognized one song). You’ll snap a few photos with your smartphone and tell your bros about it to get some street cred, but let’s face it: you didn’t enjoy yourself. There are millions of you. And you’re willing to drop cash to have a concert make you feel cool again.

Product Market Fit

Then you learn that U2 is coming to town—U2! Earnest, melodic, Oprah-endorsed U2! $200 a ticket? No problem. You get a sitter. Your wife is excited—this is going to be great! You invite some friends from college to join you.

On the way, you listen to the “early stuff.” The Joshua Tree pumps through the speakers of your Lexus SUV (no judgment—you have two kids!). The harmonies soothe. The lyrics are straightforward. You recall a simpler time before car seats and prostate exams. The nostalgia is so thick you have to wipe it from your face. You haven’t looked at your phone in nearly 11 minutes.

You arrive at the show and see yourself everywhere. Tasteful North Face and Patagonia jackets abound. The stands are awash in earth tones. No one is shoving. No one has a nose ring. These are your people.

Usability

The band begins with A SONG YOU RECOGNIZE! You’re on your feet. You’re drinking “craft” beer. Everyone is singing terribly.

And the best part—YOU CAN DANCE HERE! 80,000 people surround you and there’s not a coordinated movement in sight. Even the band sets a low bar. Bono doesn’t so much dance as lunge and bounce. The other guys seem content to nod and rock. All around you, middle-aged people are rocking and lunging and bouncing and singing badly. Is that guy wearing Tod’s loafers and a Barbour jacket? Yes, he is. And he’s in the zone.

The set is basically a greatest hits playlist. The band graciously performs two new songs that no one recognizes to give you a few minutes to use the john and grab another IPA. They might as well flash an intermission sign.

Even the political statements go down smooth: “Democracy!” “Fight AIDS!” How could you possibly disagree? You’re not only dancing and reminiscing—you’re spreading freedom and reasonably-priced medicines to distant lands!

And the kicker: not one, but TWO encores, the ones you know best—the ones you first heard that summer you painted houses or kissed Katie at the beach party. You’re closing your eyes now. This is sad and sweet. You put your arm around your wife. You’re wondering if Katie ever got married. A third of the crowd departs after the first encore. It’s no big deal; some of us have work in the morning! Anyway, the traffic will be better if everyone doesn't leave at once.

:lol: Well I guess that explains it.

I am still in shock that U2 is such a huge touring act.

I am still shocked that Madonna had the unbelievable energy to launch the biggest tour of her career with two legs (2008/2009), at age 50 yo, looking like an athlete and facing a divorce that took her millions :shock:

^:lol: But really they're a great concert act and none of them are married to GOOP

I'd honestly rather watch Coldplay. Bono's voice is shot to death, and playing just 3 new tracks (which was the case with The 360 Tour, as far as I remember) is just taking the piss. Never watching them again.

• 2 weeks later...

Guy Oseary, Live Nation and Madonna better READ this thread, because it contains some brilliant fucking TRUTH + INSIGHT.

Agree with almost every post about importance of:

- popular album + lead single;

- arena's over stadiums / focus on a few major cities;

- do promo before the tour

- etc.

Main thing I suspect many of us here share is the feeling that although Madonna ruled the tour grosses and best earners' lists, at the same time there seemed to be considerable negative feedback expressed on the interwebs by disappointed concert-goers.

A very helpful thing in all this may be that all of Madonna's touring, gyms, perfumes, etc have already made the 360 contract PROFITABLE for Live Nation by 2013. Based on the breakdown on the following website that I thought was convincing: http://atrl.net/forums/showthread.php?t=324115

Hopefully this will leave more room for focus, passion and quality.

The End.

tumblr_myohtoUKTz1tnqbj2o1_500.gif

I don't get that either. If she did longer break inbetween legs, like most other major artists do, she wouldn't be as burnt out towards the end of the tour as she usually is.

Yup. I heard that it was because they have to pay the crew for a longer period but I doubt that's the reason. By the end of MDNA she was knackered. If she would've had a few days off she probably would've been okay

So why commit to such a long tour then, I dont mean go on a long breaks like from S&S leg one and S&S leg two. But a few days between shows, the MDNA schedule especially N America onwards was just ridiculous. Look at the Philly show after she'd had a few days, its one of the best shows to watch, same with the Montreal show. I'm just saying it doesnt have to be done in such a long run, she'd probably be able to fit in more countries that way aswell.

Time is money chelle

Also because of the school of the kids i guess

Yes, what Starman says ... and if you keep padding days into the schedule, the schedule lengthens out, which means more overhead costs for everything from the crew to the storage/transportation for the stage and traveling equipment.

I remember reading an article about how many millions of dollars the U2 tour was losing based on the delays caused by Bono's back surgery. I can't recall the figures -- maybe $1 million a day is incorrect -- but they were losing a lot because that stage was so huge and they have to move and store it. (Well, they have multiple stages don't they? And Madonna, too? While she's using one, another one is being transported to the next place and installed, yes?)

Anyway ... I guess my point is, if she takes four months to tour, it's more expensive than if she takes three months to do it. It may seem like a small difference, but I'm sure the money totals make it worth it.

Guest Rachelle of London

Yes, what Starman says ... and if you keep padding days into the schedule, the schedule lengthens out, which means more overhead costs for everything from the crew to the storage/transportation for the stage and traveling equipment.

I remember reading an article about how many millions of dollars the U2 tour was losing based on the delays caused by Bono's back surgery. I can't recall the figures -- maybe $1 million a day is incorrect -- but they were losing a lot because that stage was so huge and they have to move and store it. (Well, they have multiple stages don't they? And Madonna, too? While she's using one, another one is being transported to the next place and installed, yes?)

Anyway ... I guess my point is, if she takes four months to tour, it's more expensive than if she takes three months to do it. It may seem like a small difference, but I'm sure the money totals make it worth it.

I'm not saying to have a huge break, but seriously 4/5 shows a week non stop for 7 months is ridiculous by anyones standards. Other artists dont do that and their tours take in half of what a Madonna one does and it is still profitable. Looking back at MDNA by the time M got round to S America she was so knackered. Obviously shes going to do what she wants to do, I just think a healthier, rested Madonna performing on stage is much better than a tired one.

Why do we still discuss this? They will probably announce Australian tour dates for October / November followed by European dates for March / April, which means she won't kick off the tour til spring next year.

I think the short breaks also have to do with the way she prepares herself for her tours, like an athlete when they're preparing for the big tournaments, and like others have said, she gets bored easy and also costs.

Also, the economic crisis wasn't as big in 2008/2009 as it was in 2012, i believe that's the main reason she grossed less with the MDNA Tour.

Ever since the DWT i've been hearing that the next tour would be a disaster cause she didn't play enough hits, ppl seemed bored, sound was bad, didn't interact with the crowd, etc.

I'm not saying to have a huge break, but seriously 4/5 shows a week non stop for 7 months is ridiculous by anyones standards. Other artists dont do that and their tours take in half of what a Madonna one does and it is still profitable. Looking back at MDNA by the time M got round to S America she was so knackered. Obviously shes going to do what she wants to do, I just think a healthier, rested Madonna performing on stage is much better than a tired one.

Oh, I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I disagree with you or anything, chelle. I think I agree -- it would probably be healthier for her to take longer. But ... she just is constantly in this race against time (and time=money, and she probably felt the need to make a lot -- "gotta get my money back" et al.)...

And while you're also right that her touring is much more successful and earns large amounts of money, we also have to keep in mind that her production values are extremely high. I believe she's pointed out several times, too, that her tours require a lot of money to create. So, while we look at it as a lot of money for a ticket, we also know that the money has to pay a lot of different people. Could she still be profitable with a more relaxed schedule? Probably, but ... I certainly don't know for certain.

More arenas, less stadiums unless she creates a huge stage and big catwalk/ 2nd stage so people at the back of the venue feel like they are part of the show. If Coldplay, Take That and Michael Buble can have a 2nd stage near the back of venue to interact with the crowd then there is no reason why Madonna can't.

Invest in a better sound system if she is going to play large venues. The sound system in her stadium shows is average to say the least.

Why is it so difficult for her to get this right? Again other acts seem to invest time and money creating a good sound system for outdoor venues. There is no reason why her team shouldn't able to get the best sound system possible. She's Madonna, she should be literally blowing people away with the sound quality like she did for Reinvention and Confessions.

Setlist - less guitar. Reinventing Open You Heart was fine. Hung Up on the last two tours dreadful, unrecognisable and left a lot of people bored.

Get on stage at a reasonable hour. Yes we know she is a perfectionist but some people have jobs, kids, commitments etc.

If she takes on board all the issues of the last 2 tours the reviews will be great and she'll have no problem selling tickets.

I'm in touch with many Aussie fans and it's kind of at the point where she may need to do a "hits" tour here in Australia - we have missed out on so many tours that it may have been a blessing in disguise the MDNA tour was cancelled as much as her fans would have loved it, the general public and media would have savaged it for the lack of known songs - Aussie audiences would only know Papa Don't Preach, Hung Up, Express Yourself, Open Your Heart, Vogue, Human Nature, Like A Virgin and Like A Prayer and that's it and after a 20 year absence, they would have expected the Ray Of Light, Music, Don't Tell Me etc along with stuff never seen here like Into The Groove - basically we've missed her whole career with the exception of one era - if she tours Australia I'm hoping she throws in a couple of hits as a thank you for waiting so long and forgiving her. We will see. I'm not confident she will ever tour Australia so I'm saving for London :)