Is the next Madonna single the most important one in her career?

Guest Xanthium

implants cannot be removed, once they are there, they stay. they are "attached" to her bone structure forever and ever.

she has injections on that area every now and then though to keep them well rounded

:confused: plenty of implants are removable. Many doctors use silicone cheek implants over the cheekbone. When are implants grafted onto bone? How is that possible?

Yep

With Clear Channel actually backing her again and the Superbowl, she could have easily had another number 1 single.

But GMAYL was pretty shit for a lead single, something more like I'm Addicted would have done really well

All Madonna would have to do is a duet with Rihanna and she would be guaranteed another #1. Every other artist has done duets to even get where they are which is nowhere compared to M.. at least a duet with Rihanna would better than MATM

implants cannot be removed, once they are there, they stay. they are "attached" to her bone structure forever and ever.

she has injections on that area every now and then though to keep them well rounded

I miss her old wrinkly beautiful face :(

I mean she's still beautiful now, but it's like a whole era ended in 2008

Yep

With Clear Channel actually backing her again and the Superbowl, she could have easily had another number 1 single.

But GMAYL was pretty shit for a lead single, something more like I'm Addicted would have done really well

All Madonna would have to do is a duet with Rihanna and she would be guaranteed another #1. Every other artist has done duets to even get where they are which is nowhere compared to M.. at least a duet with Rihanna would better than MATM

NO

I would have absolutely no issue with Madonna "softening" up her image a bit again and releasing a mid-tempo/ballad as a lead single. However, I think those hoping for some sort of big commercial success with that formula need to keep dreaming. A ballad as a kickoff isn't gonna hit. Period. Well, at least as things are currently.

Although it wasn't "official", if radio wanted to play Masterpiece, they could've. It was out 3 months before the album was ever released.

I would have absolutely no issue with Madonna "softening" up her image a bit again and releasing a mid-tempo/ballad as a lead single. However, I think those hoping for some sort of big commercial success with that formula need to keep dreaming. A ballad as a kickoff isn't gonna hit. Period. Well, at least as things are currently.

Although it wasn't "official", if radio wanted to play Masterpiece, they could've. It was out 3 months before the album was ever released.

I have to agree with you. All this speculation of what she should have done, doesn't mean she would have faired any better by releasing other songs as singles. I keep reading, she needs to do songs with "substance", etc., but much what is popular now are frivolous pop songs. It's easy for fans to say our favorite songs would have done better, but I don't believe it would have made much of a difference. I think as you said, thinking she's gonna hit big with commercial success is probably not gonna happen again. Music is dominated by youth. People are stuck on that as unfortunate as it is.

What I do know is that Madonna has done so much that whatever she does at this point, will manage decent attention and decent sales, but expecting her to keep up with how these younger acts are doing it, is purely dreaming. There are very few 50 year old acts that are getting half the attention Madonna gets now. I don't see Madonna desperate for a hit. I think she's just gonna beat to her own drum as she has always.

Guest Rachelle of London

Why are so many people insistent that she. Will never have a hit again. I can't wait for her to come back with a huge smash hit and you can all eat your words!

Why are so many people insistent that she. Will never have a hit again. I can't wait for her to come back with a huge smash hit and you can all eat your words!

I hope she does too!! I don't think she'll never have a hit again, but I do think the hits will be farther and farther between (as they have been already for quite some time).

Please, I welcome the thought of eating my words. I would love for her to smash big again, but let's be realistic as well. And while I do think she's always thinking outside the box, it's gonna take something extremely unexpected (even from her) to gain mainstream attention. The positive, she does have a big enough fan base, that her albums will always come out on top at least the first week of release.

I think Madonna should just record some great new songs and then pick the best one as lead single. Like she usually does. No need for all these strategies and plans. Just make some good music and go from there. And who cares if it "flops." It's more likely to "flop" than become a hit. That's the reality of it. So who cares?

This.

Guest Rachelle of London

I hope she does too!! I don't think she'll never have a hit again, but I do think the hits will be farther and farther between (as they have been already for quite some time).

Her last top 3 hit in my country was only in 2009. Her last no1 hit was in 2008. In the past 10 years she has been incredibly successful internationally. Maybe in the States she hasn't been as successful as previous years but the music world is a lot bigger than the US Billboard Charts.

Just because MDNA didnt have a international hit, doesnt mean that Madonna isnt capable of that anymore. Comparing Madonna to Cher is just unfathomable. Madonna has consistenly had success throughout the last 31 years, it hasn't been a few hits here and there.

Her last top 3 hit in my country was only in 2009. Her last no1 hit was in 2008. In the past 10 years she has been incredibly successful internationally. Maybe in the States she hasn't been as successful as previous years but the music world is a lot bigger than the US Billboard Charts.

Just because MDNA didnt have a international hit, doesnt mean that Madonna isnt capable of that anymore. Comparing Madonna to Cher is just unfathomable. Madonna has consistenly had success throughout the last 31 years, it hasn't been a few hits here and there.

:clap:

Totally agree! Never write Madonna off.

I will never forget a headline I read twice about Madonna - first when the Ray of light album was released and again when Hung Up just smashed every song out of the ballpark here in Australia. It was "Never under-estimate Madonna". It stuck in my head and it is so accurate.

I usually hate these debates but Madonna is NOT your average music star. She is the only star who has remained consistently popular for over 3 decades and still created trends. Of course, everyone and Bind Freddie knows it is much harder for anyone over the age of 40 to have huge hits songs due to radio airplay etc but I would never count Madonna out. Also, as people so love to remind us all here, there was all of the NTP last time. Either way, looking forward to her new single and am not going to worry about sales and airplay because that just takes away the enjoyment of loving music for yourself.

I think a major image overhaul is due for her. The public just don't like her anymore because they think she's acting "too young."

She'll have to have a great song + a great image, something classy and sophisticated but also sexy.

And please, no more "emergency last minute fillers session" 2 weeks before a public appearance, M. :bad:

Critics actually said that Madonna failed to reinvent herself with the last album so I think you are right.

As for the song, I still believe that even a regular Madonna song would do well now with Clear Channel support.. but GMAYL was so uncool, I mean WTF, did she really think it would fly??

Exactly! This woman has had more eras than any female act out there still current. She has one era without a big hit (MDNA) and people start doubting she will never have a hit again when she probably has the most consistent 30 year old career ever!

She wouldn't last 6 months in 1985. She was also "past it" in 1992 when Erotica came out...by 1994 the first media article calling her "old" came out. That was almost 20 years ago! ha! In 2003 her career was "dead and buried". We all know how all this turned out right?

When we all think about it, she was in much bigger trouble in 1992 or 2003. At least people now just haven't heard about her in a while...it's better then hating on her.

Even MDNA had a huge hype surrounding it! Top itunes pre-orders, etc...it was the first single that ruined it all.

And even for a bad 1st single, without promotion from her (except the Superbowl in the USA), the woman still had a worldwide top 10 hit in most countries or even a top 5 hit or even #1 in a few of them.

The fact people call this a flop for an act that has been around since 1982 and compare her with today's pop girls is just phenomenal, not tragic! No one that started in the 80's has had a hit like Give Me All Your Luvin' in years...or even acts from the 90's. How many of them can manage a Give Me All Your Luvin' sized hit?

She's still seen as someone to be feared in the industry...and it's a shame that most people don't see that what she did last year with MDNA, no one else can nowadays! xD

Exactly! This woman has had more eras than any female act out there still current. She has one era without a big hit (MDNA) and people start doubting she will never have a hit again when she probably has the most consistent 30 year old career ever!

She wouldn't last 6 months in 1985. She was also "past it" in 1992 when Erotica came out...by 1994 the first media article calling her "old" came out. That was almost 20 years ago! ha! In 2003 her career was "dead and buried". We all know how all this turned out right?

When we all think about it, she was in much bigger trouble in 1992 or 2003. At least people now just haven't heard about her in a while...it's better then hating on her.

Even MDNA had a huge hype surrounding it! Top itunes pre-orders, etc...it was the first single that ruined it all.

And even for a bad 1st single, without promotion from her (except the Superbowl in the USA), the woman still had a worldwide top 10 hit in most countries or even a top 5 hit or even #1 in a few of them.

The fact people call this a flop for an act that has been around since 1982 and compare her with today's pop girls is just phenomenal, not tragic! No one that started in the 80's has had a hit like Give Me All Your Luvin' in years...or even acts from the 90's. How many of them can manage a Give Me All Your Luvin' sized hit?

She's still seen as someone to be feared in the industry...and it's a shame that most people don't see that what she did last year with MDNA, no one else can nowadays! xD

Brilliant, agree with your every word.

Congratulations! Agreed with everything you said.

I have to agree with you. All this speculation of what she should have done, doesn't mean she would have faired any better by releasing other songs as singles. I keep reading, she needs to do songs with "substance", etc., but much what is popular now are frivolous pop songs. It's easy for fans to say our favorite songs would have done better, but I don't believe it would have made much of a difference. I think as you said, thinking she's gonna hit big with commercial success is probably not gonna happen again. Music is dominated by youth. People are stuck on that as unfortunate as it is.

What I do know is that Madonna has done so much that whatever she does at this point, will manage decent attention and decent sales, but expecting her to keep up with how these younger acts are doing it, is purely dreaming. There are very few 50 year old acts that are getting half the attention Madonna gets now. I don't see Madonna desperate for a hit. I think she's just gonna beat to her own drum as she has always.

And what about Hung Up, Sorry (people forget Sorry was the #4 most played song WW on 2006), 4 Minutes and Give it 2 Me?

4 Minutes was #3 on Billboard, a hit on YouTube with people all ages making videos dancing to it, #4 most played song in the world in 2008 (look at the Media Traffic chart). Even Give it 2 Me entered the chart and was a top 10 hit in a lot of countries (here in Brasil it was as huge as 4 Minutes, #1). To be fair, Miles Away and Celebration were radio hits here too.

Of course she`s not getting 3,4 top 10 singles like Rihanna or Katy Perry, but she`s still competing with them... and she`s the only one who can do that. The problem with MDNA was absolutely no promotion (even Rihanna fails when she doesn`t promote something) and a totally uncool and shitty first single. It`s really her first era with no real hit, but the hype was there, as Give Me All Your Luvin` entering the Billboard Top 10 proved.

Guest bluejean

I wonder if GGW had Rihanna featuring would it have been a big hit?

I find the thought of Madonna collaborating with Rihanna on a single horrifying btw.

And what about Hung Up, Sorry (people forget Sorry was the #4 most played song WW on 2006), 4 Minutes and Give it 2 Me?

4 Minutes was #3 on Billboard, a hit on YouTube with people all ages making videos dancing to it, #4 most played song in the world in 2008 (look at the Media Traffic chart). Even Give it 2 Me entered the chart and was a top 10 hit in a lot of countries (here in Brasil it was as huge as 4 Minutes, #1). To be fair, Miles Away and Celebration were radio hits here too.

Of course she`s not getting 3,4 top 10 singles like Rihanna or Katy Perry, but she`s still competing with them... and she`s the only one who can do that. The problem with MDNA was absolutely no promotion (even Rihanna fails when she doesn`t promote something) and a totally uncool and shitty first single. It`s really her first era with no real hit, but the hype was there, as Give Me All Your Luvin` entering the Billboard Top 10 proved.

Hung Up was a huge worldwide hit...one of the biggest hits of the year but it's success was split in 2 years, 2005 and 2006.

Sorry was a #1 hit in MANY markets...and top 10 everywhere except the USA. It was #1 in the European singles chart (doesn't exist now) for 4 weeks. That chart was like all european charts joined together with a points system like billboard hot 100.

Jump was a huge airplay hit all over Europe and South America. Everyone knows that song.

4 Minutes was her last real worldwide hit...#1 almost everywhere and one of the biggest hits on 2008.

Give It 2 Me was top 10 almost everywhere, even Top 5...and in some markets, just as big as 4 Minutes. It reached #2 on the European singles chart and stayed in the top 10 for most of that summer. HIT! like it or not.

Miles Away was a huge airplay hit in Europe (and that matters like it or not). Even in the UK, it peaked at #8 i think! And was a surprise hit in places like Germany where it reached #11 if i remember correctly. It seems not good but it stayed inside the top 20 for a while.

Celebration was a top 10/top 5 hit...even #1 in some countries.

Same for Give Me All Your Luvin'.

Flops? Well...the real flops are Revolver (LOL), Girl Gone Wild (huge hit in Italy...one of the biggest of the year and even bigger then Give Me All Your Luvin', besides peaking at #4) and Turn Up The Radio.

Not bad for a 55 year old woman in an ageist market i think!

EDIT:

About worldwide sales:

Madonna is the #1 female artist from the 80's.

She's the #3 female artist from the 90's. (behind Celine and Mariah)

She's the #2 female artist from the 00's. (behind Britney)

This, my friends...is called being consistent! You might not always have a #1 hit...but no one has them for 3 decades...it's about staying in the top 10, top 5 for all your career!

You might not even realise but since 2006 (and excluding COADF sales) the woman has sold 10 million albums! That is NOT bad for her. And this excluding catalog sales...

For goodness sake, when is this Lillies creature going to get banned ? Seriously, every post he/she makes is a nasty dig at Madonna. What is the point of them even being here. Can't stand people who go to fan forums just to spread their hate.