Is the next Madonna single the most important one in her career?

I kind of think yes. Well, Like A Virgin probably was more important because it cemented her superstar status but this time it's different.

I tend to view Madonna's entire career in two parts - the first part from 83 until 98 and the second part from 98 until now. No idea why I do that, I can't really explain it. It just feels that she became this untouchable superstar in the 80s and 90s who made hit after hit without taking a breath.

After the longest gap between studio albums in the mid 90s, the general public certainly didn't expect her to come back with her most acclaimed album yet with Ray of Light. So it felt like a new beginning with a different futuristic sound and Madonna, now a mother and spiritually awakened, felt more human and people warmed to her again. She continued to embrace experimental electronic music and focused on touring and not on acting anymore.

MDNA kind of wrapped things up in a way. The fact that she asked William Orbit (the one who played a pivotal role in creating the new Madonna sound 15 years ago) to produce half of that album confirms my theory. The album title alone suggests that this is not one of those eras where she has a theme, a completely new look or groundbreaking new sounds, but rather focused on 'being Madonna' only. The eclectic mix of different styles on MDNA are like a Greatest Hits (from 98 until now) in a way.

Now we are here, with flopping female stars left and right and the lowest sales in history. Madonna is passionate about her humanitarian efforts and is not afraid to be political and provocative (her sexy outfits this year really challenged some of her sexiest looks during the Erotica era).

People were making a big deal about her age now when she flashed her tit more than ever before and she was getting criticized for making unoriginal dance music and referring to herself as a 'girl'.

I believe there is going to be a radical shift in her music again because she wants to shut those haters up with her next album and I can't wait to hear/see it!

Let's get ready for 'chapter 3' in Madonnaland! :Disco_Ball::madgemanson:

It would be great if she released something that appealed both youngsters and her old fanbase, as Hung Up did, because she would sell zillions of cds. People older than 35 buy cds if they are given something interesting.

By the way, it always surprises me how many different opinions and visions are about MDNA. Everybody seems to have its own point of view abou what she wanted to express.

By the way, it always surprises me how many different opinions and visions are about MDNA. Everybody seems to have its own point of view abou what she wanted to express.

Well, I think that's a good thing. But I think that my opinion is the correct one. :laugh: j/k

She would probably do well on the radio with a nice pop-ballad like Live To Tell, The Power of Goodbye or Masterpiece.

There's still a market for ballads in the US. For the last three years we've had these, to name a few:

"Someone Like You" and "Set Fire To The Rain" - Adele

"A Thousand Years" and "Jar of Heart" - Christina Perri

"I Won't Give Up" - Jason Mraz

"When I Was Your Man" and "It Will Rain" - Bruno Mars

"Stay" - Rihanna

"Wide Awake" and "Unconditionally" - Katy Perry

"Let Her Go" - Passenger

"Say Something" - AGBW with Xtincta Phoenixlera

We NEED a Madonna ballad released with an amazing black and white video.

Christina_Aguilera_GIF_by_XLove_Christin

Guest Not4Pussies

It's crucial in a way. The way she will release her music will be interesting. No super bowl to back it up this time and pop stars are flopping left and right. I say she utilizes bittorrent again.

Frozen was the most important.

I agree that it was very important but I believe the next single is going to be just as important because she gets so much criticism for being sexy at her age and because of...well, the reasons I listed above in my first post.

Guest Xanthium

It will have a make or break feel about it, at least in terms of her international viability. The US will most likely ignore it no matter what but she's still capable of conquering the rest of the world with a huge hit.

I really want to get goosebumps when listening to her first single the way I did when I first heard Frozen. I want to be blown by the video as I was by Frozen. It was such a strong song and video that no hater could find any ground to hate. She desperately need this high qualitty song/video that would shut up the haters. It would be amazing to shut up the agists and the haters again. Hope she will deliver (and choose the RIGHT not the safe singles).

Saying that I must add that MDNA was a great improvement from HC, but the singles were shit.

I feel the next album would be cruicial for her present relevancy in EU (till HC she was on fire in EU), but no matter what she does she ll always be the queen of pop.

I don't think it will be. Those that already see Madonna's greatness, will see Madonna's greatness. Those that don't, won't. I'm all for optimism, but I'm not pining for a massively successful 1st single. She's paid her dues & afforded the luxury of releasing exactly what she wants to. If it flops, let it flop. Sales are never an indicator if good music.

Guest whatatramp

No

She has nothing left to prove as far as the charts are concerned, I just hope she takes her time with the new music and it's actually something fresh and different and if she does EDM again well :madgemanson:

I think that what's important for Madonna is making a strong statement with her album. Madonna is about the conversion of her work into live theatre. One good single does not make a tour. The single as we knew it is dead.

I think the fans expect far too much and put too much thought into all this. I can bet Madonna isn't sitting back, thinking how she will make her next comeback to the music scene. In fact, I think she's beyond that. Yes, I am sure once she gets an album together, then she may think of how to make a splash with it, but I don't think it will be to the degree most fans are thinking now. I personally believe she will go right on tour once the album is released since she doesn't really have much backing in the mainstream media to get her songs played. As a business woman, she will look at what will generate the most money and that will most likely be a huge tour and/or some tie ins with products/ads/television/films. Her contract is with LIVE NATION and she is obligated to that and they will expect a high return. The best way to do that is go back on the road.

I predict a lot of meltdowns with this next album because she won't have a hit single. Fans will bitch again that the wrong single was released. Fans will bitch because most likely she isn't going to go all out in promotion (other than her World Tour) as she can't keep spending money on free promos shows, huge promotion on singles and/or videos when none of them will generate revenue for her.

All I can say is that I just enjoy the ride. I don't question how she does it or what could have been. It doesn't change the fact that I love her music and she knows how to put on a hell of a show.

Frozen and Hung Up were the singles that saved her career. Without those singles she would be out of business years ago. Think Madonna pos-Evita (years working on softening her sexual image made the public forget that she still was a popstar) and think Madonna pos-American Life (an english lady that dares to question american politics, hated by 99% of the US, banned from american radio, and OLD).