Why in the gay hell was this hated so much when it came out???

Guest Sinisin

Guest Sinisin

It took her best moments from a great promo gig for COADF and it was beautifully animated!!! WTF? I remember so much hate.

Do you still hate this video, or do you now appreciate it?

I showed this shit to non Madonna fans when it came out, and they loved it...so?

I actually liked it from the beginning because she at least tried to do something somewhat creative rather than just put out a performance video. It is definitely retro animation, but futuristic in style and I think it fits the soft techno-dub texture of the song very well.

From Madonna.com about the video:

The ground breaking video for Madonna's most recent single, "Get Together", was directed by the animation team called Logan, based out of Venice, California. Logan has 20 employees and has worked on projects for Jurassic 5,Money Mark, and Felix Da Housecat, commercial campaigns for Apple iPod, Volkswagen, and Target, and experimental projects ranging from fashion to architecture. Logan cites Italian erotic comic book art, American science fiction magazine, covers from the 30's - 40's, and explosions from Japanese cartoons as inspirations for the animation in "Get Together".

The Logan team submitted 3 different versions of the video to Madonna before it was approved. The verdict is in, Logan & "Get Together" are a great match!

Guest Sinisin

I distinctly remember the Ipod animator factoid, and I loved this video so much (still do)- and I vividly remember the hate from MMad and MNation about this vid- and retrospectively- compared to the original, (YUCK!), and subsequent videos, it is kind of a masterpiece. :)

Educate Nightshade!!!

:)

The editing in the video is gorge but the visual effects make it look like promo for iPod/coca cola. If those visual effects had less like pterodactyls and cola fountains and maybe instead had more definition it would have been one of her best videos ever.

The song is ICONIC but the video does look cheap, plus when I first saw it reminded me of this (check out the first 15 secs). This is a news segment that is shown in almost all movie theaters over here, before the trailers and the movie:

IKR

I absolutely love this video. I too don't understand the hate. Nightshade said it best:

she at least tried to do something somewhat creative rather than just put out a performance video

It is better than many of her other videos (4 Minutes, Miles Away, Celebration, TUTR).

Guest Sinisin

The editing in the video is gorge but the visual effects make it look like promo for iPod/coca cola. If those visual effects had less like pterodactyls and cola fountains and maybe instead had more definition it would have been one of her best videos ever.

Indeed

The song is ICONIC but the video does look cheap, plus when I first saw it reminded me of this (check out the first 15 secs). This is a news segment that is shown in almost all movie theaters over here, before the trailers and the movie:

Eh, other than the quick cuts and the generic female musician on stage, I dont really see the similarities. Also, I never thought of the word "cheap" with this vid, the first draft yes- soooo bad, but not the final cut. It never seemed cheap to me... Maybe it was a disappointment for fans because she was on tour at the time and didn't film a "proper" vid?

It's a brilliant song that deserved a better vdo treatment and after the horror-fest that was Sorry ( another great song ruined by nasty vdo ) I think people /fans were expecting something with a little more effort than this thrown together animation hot mess.

I remember some news that Madonna would be a syrene and i was so excited!

but then, she told "i have no time for this" and i was like oh no.

and we got this video...

i like it but... THIS ONE is so much better imo

potential has been permanently destroyed... :newspaper: what a shame...

the only video i HATE from COADF is JUMP! :ass:

I didn't mind the second video that was released (that appears on the Celebration DVD), as it showed M spinning at the proper moment (unlike this video). But, both are better than a straight performance clip, that is true.

I find that a lot of fans get upset if she produces something they've seen before. For instance, she used the Koko footage to make this video and then gave it some animated treatment. I think it's clever. I knew she was busy with the tour, so what better way to do is take a live performance and have someone add something more creative to it.

I think the hate stemmed from its laziness. She obviously didn't do shit for the "Get Together" video -- one of the best tracks on the album.

I mean, come on. A live clip that was layered with enough special effects to look like a TV commercial. Calling it "groundbreaking" is complete BS. Apple had been on TV for months with half a dozen clips that looked exactly like this.

The fan community had been worked into a lather ahead of "Confessions"'s release. "Hung Up" was an excellent lead single with an excellent video. The promo tour was amazing. Then "Sorry" had that corny sequel video. Then we got an iPod commercial. Then we got that mess called "Jump." Each video was just more anticlimactic than the last. Thankfully we had the tour to sustain us.

Guest bluejean

It's fabulous. Fans hate it because it was a lazy effort on Madonna's part but the actual result looked great. More engaging than Jump or Sorry imo.

It's fabulous. Fans hate it because it was a lazy effort on Madonna's part but the actual result looked great. More engaging than Jump or Sorry imo.

YAAAAAAASS!!!

I have always loved it and always will.

Fits the song beautifully!

The song is great but the video don't, it's so weird and cartoonish, thank God that she did a proper video for Jump, she should've done something like Britney's Break The Ice but that video came 2 years later...

Guest Pud Whacker

It took her best moments from a great promo gig for COADF and it was beautifully animated!!! WTF? I remember so much hate.

Do you still hate this video, or do you now appreciate it?

I showed this shit to non Madonna fans when it came out, and they loved it...so?

ive always loved it!

Maybe this video sort of hailed a new era where Madonna was no longer a music video artist. A once great artform left behind for no other reason than money.

If Madonna could only just see music videos as mini films then maybe she could inject a bit of life, money, time and energy back into the artform!?

Meanwhile, this was always one of my top 5 M songs