What It Feels Like for a Girl

jacket

I always go through a two week obsession with a favourite Madonna song and I must play it all the time (usually the video clip too if it's a single), sometimes on repeat several times a day. :crazy: My current obsession is obviously the album version of WIFLFG. :dramatic:

From what I remember most members think it's boring and prefer the single version?

Anyone know the story behind why they didn't go for the album version?

I do love the club banger single version as well but the tragedy is you lose the verses.

silky smooth
lips as sweet as candy, baby

tight blue jeans
skin that shows in patches

hair that twirls on finger tips so gently, baby
hands that rest on jutting hips repenting

They are delicately sung and perfectly capture that distinct female allure without being over-the-top sexual. Everything now in pop is just so obvious, in your face, and overly stylised (including Madonna's own GGW :chuckle: ).

My only issue is that it's a touch too long.

Now who gon' agree with me? :fag:

From what I remember most members think it's boring and prefer the single version?

Anyone know the story behind why they didn't go for the album version?

I do love the club banger single version as well but the tragedy is you lose the verses.

Well, really the single version was the album version. The video just deviated from the usual formula and used a drastically different remix instead. More confusingly... the airplay version, Radio Edit, was the album version with a shortened instrumental intro that wipes out the "Girls can wear jeans" spoken sample and swiftly fades near the end during the "for a giiiiiiirl... in this wooorld" part. Both feature so prominently in the video version and their absence in the radio mix make them feel almost like two totally seperate songs.

Love both arrangements.

TShirt, I adore the album version of What it Feels like for a girl. It is different to any other song she has recorded. I love the way she sings it. The message of the song is subtle and more poignant than most songs addressing sexism. There is no over the top " male-bashing" or excessive whinging that ruin many songs about that topic. I also love the spoken dialogue at the beginning from Charlotte Gainsborough.

Probably one of her most underrated songs. It's soft and beautiful, but very cutting in its social commentary. I think it was interesting that it came out the same time as Britney and Christina's stars were on the ascent.

Love this song, one of the ones I've played consistently through the years.

Don't know the single version - the album version is fantastic and sets the perfect mood.

That DWT performance is hot.

I'd love to hear it live, and I'm sure it still suits her (live) voice fine.

Guest Sinisin

So sleek and polished!!!

"Half dresses" became all the rage...of course when all the drunk bitches were done with cowboy hats! LOL!