The 50 Best Pop Album Covers of the Past Five Years

Guest HaveASit

Guest HaveASit
ebqto_28859337_700x700min_1_765051.jpg 11. Madonna, MDNA

Release date: March 23, 2012
Photography: Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott
Art direction: Giovanni Bianco
Labels: Live Nation, Interscope

Vaguely hallucinatory in color and presentation, the cover of Madonna's 12th album MDNA is as vibrant as it was bold. Featuring the performer wearing a scarlet dress behind ribbed glass, she looks fragmented, deconstructed by the various lenses she's been put under throughout the years. In this case, it is through the lens of photographers Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott, a pair of Europeans whose collaborative work is widely regarded as some of the best in the world.

Though they've done album covers for countless pop stars, Mert and Marcus (as their company name goes) achieve something truly eye-popping on this cover, even if that was through digital manipulation. —Dale Eisinger

Full list: http://www.complex.com/art-design/2013/11/best-pop-album-covers/madonna-mdna

OOPS. Just realized that this topic is about album covers of the past 5 years. :doh:

Should not have posted Like a virgin, True blue and Music. :no:

Hello Jazzy!?!? :lol:

Love Music, the album, but it is her worst cover HANDS DOWN. That wrinkled shirt & her unimpressed facial expression do nothing for me.

FRUSTRATION. The shot they used on the promo poster and the cover of Billboard was so. much. more.

myooseek_zps2a7ad60d.png

LOOK AT THAT FACE!

Overall, the Music artwork was still all kinds of fantastications.

musiccds2_zpsf9bd9c72.gif

I agree with the choice! MDNA (Deluxe) is one her best ever.

BUT

I was so hoping they chose HC..... :lol: .....she may as well have called the album "Fuck You. I'm 50" with that cover. I would love to see it make a best covers list. From the moment I saw the cover leak (here at MNation of course) I've found it hilarious. Only Madonna.... :lol:

I was so hoping they chose HC..... :lol: .....she may as well have called the album "Fuck You. I'm 50" with that cover.

Basically :clap:

Seeing that cover, in real life, on that Target Shelf was DEFINITELY a highlight of Madonna & I's relationship. Even then I recognized it as the powerful non-verbal statement it still is. WHAT NERVE! :wow:

Basically :clap:

Seeing that cover, in real life, on that Target Shelf was DEFINITELY a highlight of Madonna & I's relationship. Even then I recognized it as the powerful non-verbal statement it still is. WHAT NERVE! :wow:

Can I say that your undying love for HC is so awesome. You and kurt420(he was the biggest HC defender back in the day).

MDOLLA 4 Life!!!!

I agree with the choice! MDNA (Deluxe) is one her best ever.

BUT

I was so hoping they chose HC..... :lol: .....she may as well have called the album "Fuck You. I'm 50" with that cover. I would love to see it make a best covers list. From the moment I saw the cover leak (here at MNation of course) I've found it hilarious. Only Madonna.... :lol:

"Fuck you I'm 50."

- Madonna, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKQYHZmS_WM

Edited by MrMojoRisin

The deluxe edition deserves number 1:

Madonna-MDNA-album-cover.jpg

A-FUCKING-MEN! A work of art and utter brilliance.

Hard Candy doesn't offend me as much as it used to, but I still think it looks rushed and cheap. I do love the M-Dolla persona though. She should've gone 100% boxer and left the clichéd dime store candy background to the amateurs.

Can I say that your undying love for HC is so awesome. You and kurt420 (he was the biggest HC defender back in the day).

MDOLLA 4 Life!!!!

Pardon my paranoid conspiracy theories, but I'm certain she somehow scanned my brain & delivered exactly what I wanted. Seriously! It really is FRIGHTENING just how much that era catered to me; the collabs with my favorite artists, the 106&Park appearence, the tour. Before 2008, Madonna was this unreachable, untouchable otherworldly Goddess who I liked, but her "EYE-KAWN-NICK" status didn't mean anything. she wasn't accesible to me. Yeah, the album had JAMZ, but I love HC most of all because it acted as the key that unlocked the hidden world of gems known as the Madonna discography.

And Kurt420 is EVERYTHANG :wow:

Pardon my paranoid conspiracy theories, but I'm certain she somehow scanned my brain & delivered exactly what I wanted. Seriously! It really is FRIGHTENING just how much that era catered to me; the collabs with my favorite artists, the 106&Park appearence, the tour. Before 2008, Madonna was this unreachable, untouchable otherworldly Goddess who I liked, but her "EYE-KAWN-NICK" status didn't mean anything. she wasn't accesible to me. Yeah, the album had JAMZ, but I love HC most of all because it acted as the key that unlocked the hidden world of gems known as the Madonna discography.

And Kurt420 is EVERYTHANG :wow:

:inlove:

I've always thought you were a sweetheart and I love your love for HC!! :)

I still adore that album/era/tour and have some fantastic memories attached to it.

Isaac I will never be able to un-see that wrinkled shirt on the Music album cover now!! Damn you!

HARD CANDY. I need more cougar box shots