Will Madonna continue to adapt her tours during their run?

adirondak

Madonna is not someone usually known for making changes to her tour. It is without question that the Sticky & Sweet and MDNA tours had the most changes during their runs. Sticky had the song request element throughout, and changed up the setlist for the 2009 leg, adding 3 new songs (Frozen, Dress You Up, and Holiday), as well as a backdrop change for Sticky & Sweet.

MDNA added several songs during its run. I'm sure I'll forget some, but off the top of my head: Holiday, Music, Give It 2 Me, Everybody, Don't Cry for Me Argentina, Love Spent.

Do you think she'll continue this trend during the next tour?

I'd love to see her really have a tour that evolves as it goes along - to the point that the ending date is quite different from the initial date. She could change minor elements with each show. Some costume changes, a few setlist changes as the show goes on, a different hairstyle. New backdrops. It would be nice to see a tour that really evolves as it goes along, and it would help to make each show a little bit special.

What do you think?

I don't think it will happen all that much. From studying how productions like this are created and executed from a production stand point, it's incredibly difficult to just change things out, including video backdrops, costumes, song arrangement, etc. without all those things already created before hand...because a massive amount of work has to be done to also properly line it up with how the show is programmed in the time-code systems they use for big theatrical shows like this. There's a lot of digital programming involved that all has to be pre-set. There is a reason as to why Madonna's kind of visual, theatrical stage show concert stays pretty much the same all the way through. You kind of have to learn how these things work from a production stand point first to really understand that making big changes can't really be done unless those changes are all made before the tour starts, because a massive amount of work and time is needed to properly pre-sequence songs, have visuals already ready to go, costumes, etc. Changing a hairstyle or just adding in a quick song for an audience sing-along like Holiday with the MDNA tour is about as much as you can do once the tour has already stepped off...or having large amounts of time between legs to make changes, which is unlikely with how she likes to tour.

All the changes that happened during the MDNA Tour were certainly a change. I'm used to Madonna doing every show exactly the same. So, this tour was a lot of fun because you never knew when or if she would change something. I find it very exciting. I hope she continues that in the future. She doesn't have to change things up with every show, but a little mix up here and there is cool. She should go with the flow. If she's not feeling a song, cut it. If someone in the audience screams out the name of a song, sing it. :)

We just watched her do changes on the last tour though. A few backdrop changes could be completed before the tour starts then swapped at different points throughout.

Acoustic songs can easily be swapped or changed without too much fuss.

Hell we even saw her add Give it 2 Me in the middle of the choreography intensive Celebration. Where there's a will there's a way, and if any artist gets the cash backing the tour to do it, it'll be Madonna.

But it's not about the "cash" to back it up...it's about the literal time and real work it takes to make the kind of changes you ask for...given the nature of heavily pre-programmed shows like Madonna does. Again, if they wanted to do such changes, the work would have to be done beforehand (all the pre-sequencing of songs and their arrangements, along with visuals, costumes, lighting cues, stage cues, etc.) It sounds very possible, but trust, it's a major amount of work on-top of the show they are already putting together. The kinds of changes you keep referring to in the MDNA tour were small enough to do and were mostly add-ons to what was already there...GI2M was added into the sequencing of Celebration,Love Spent was pretty much done with piano and violin. That's about as far the changes/additions can probably go once a tour is already in motion.

I totally agree with VogueMusic, Madonna shows are so sophisticated that it's not easy to change them. And when she does, it's always in the acoustic/intimate parts of the show when she doesn't use backdrops, dancers and light programming and has time to include her traditional speech (for example: You'll see/Gone in DWT, Girl from Ipanema in GS, Don't cry for me Argentina in S&S, Holiday/Love Spent in MDNA...). I think she will be able to repeat this pattern in the future, but I don't expect dramatical changes in the setlist during a tour.

Edited by MForever

I liked the different outfits changes during the punk section on The Drowned World Tour. I think that would be awesome to follow during a tour.

• 4 weeks later...

I would love the next tour to be a tad more scaled down with more focus on the songs, vocals and the music rather than the theatrics and visuals - it would be something totally unexpected and would give room for improvisation and changes to be made throughout the tour. I'm not talking about stripping it completely back to the basics, something more loose which still looks amazing and has that wow factor but just something to let the music shine most of all.

The closest thing to compare would be something along the lines of Kylie's X tour, still visually fantastic and mind blowing (hello the video screen floor on the entire stage) but really gave Kylie the chance to shine and be the absolute centre. A lot of changes were made throughout the course of the tour