Why is the press so negative towards Madonna?

elijah

There will be only one time when she gets respect. When she dies!!

Then everyone will be coming out of the wood work praising her left and right.

Fuck them! Hypocrites.

I'm gonna make a pompous Monsteresque comment here but......a lot of the general public and press, TRULY don't get Madonna's brand of "pop art". ;)

Well like she said about the comment she made about Obama being a Muslim. She said a lot of people don't get her sense of humor.

I do though, and that's all that matters. :lol:

I'm not so sure. She is not a MJ type that was a real media darling before the witch hunt really began. With his death the media suddenly brought back all the respect he once had. Unlike MJ, Madonna never had that respect at any point of her career. So it all makes me wonder if they will respect her legacy after her death.

Well like she said about the comment she made about Obama being a Muslim. She said a lot of people don't get her sense of humor.

I do though, and that's all that matters. :lol:

Absolutely! lol

I was actually at the show where she made that Obama/Muslim comment and I never once thought she was serious. In fact, it didn't dawn on me until I saw the uproar the next day that anybody would've thought she was serious when she said it. I guess having been a fan for forever and a day now, I'm just used to her dry sense of humor. It's like last year when she was asked why she insists on putting herself through grueling tours at this stage in her career and she said something along the lines of "a girls gotta pay the rent somehow"(if I'm not mistaken it was the same interview where she also said performing on stage is still the favorite of her "jobs").......well, some fans went into an uproar, using her answer as proof that she's not passionate about her music anymore. I know someone here remembers this.....I was just shocked because first of all, any fan should know Madonna could maintain her current lifestyle and never have to lift a finger again for the rest of her life. Secondly......that saying is very well known for being said in jest, at least here in the USA.

Anyways, I'm ramblin on but yeah......her humor has ALWAYS been misunderstood.

Fuck them! Hypocrites.

TOTALLY AGREE. I just KNOW the medias will kiss her ass to no end after her death, just like they did with MJ and Whitney Houston. It's typical Hollywood hypocrisy.

TOTALLY AGREE. I just KNOW the medias will kiss her ass to no end after her death, just like they did with MJ and Whitney Houston. It's typical Hollywood hypocrisy.

I remember when Whitney died....And I am not saying she isn't an iconic legend. I think vocally she was probably one of the best singers the world has ever seen at her peak, but there were headlines that said, "The Queen of Pop has Died" and I couldn't help but think, since when!? :lol:

What's fucked up too is that I notice some in the online gay media bashes her, and especially in the comments section. I wouldn't even mention it, but what is written about her sometimes is mean and unnecessary. I have noticed a lot of old, bitter queens project on Madonna all their insecurities and resentments!!

I'm not so sure. She is not a MJ type that was a real media darling before the witch hunt really began. With his death the media suddenly brought back all the respect he once had. Unlike MJ, Madonna never had that respect at any point of her career. So it all makes me wonder if they will respect her legacy after her death.

true dat, I bet she will be more hated after her death than that pedo Jackson

That disposable income that I constantly hear about gets on my damn nerves. I barely live paycheck to paycheck. I have to save my money to really do something I want to do. I think its more realistic to say that older fans are most likely more responsible with their money and choose wisely on how to spend it. When your young most of time you don't even know where your money goes.

Guest Rachelle of London

With all due respect 31 years in why are fans STILL asking this question. Madonna never rose to where she is being the media darling

With all due respect 31 years in why are fans STILL asking this question. Madonna never rose to where she is being the media darling

Exactly.

This has been the case since she started, and looking at the track record of other artists I am glad that was the case. It always seems to be the artists that the media hype up, and fawn over, and get Grammys thrown at them left and right off the bat that go missing a few years later, or simply fall off their pedestal the press put them on, and are never able to climb back up. Being fawned over from the start is almost the kiss of death in most cases.

Madonna doesn't need the press to put her on the top of a pedestal. She got to the top of one on her own and her accomplishments she continues to have to this day prove the bitch is not coming down any time soon.

Also if the TIDAL wave of negative press she received during the Erotica/Sex Book era didn't bring her down, I think its safe to say at this point nothing will.

I mean look at Sinead O'Conner. Her career ended the second she ripped up a photo of the Pope.

If Madonna had ripped up a picture of the Pope, she would have gotten tons of shit for it as well, but I have no doubt her career would have kept on chugging along. The bitch just has that "IT" factor that keeps people drawn to her no matter how negative the press is.

She is a true SUPERSTAR! And its going to take more than negative articles about her to snuff her out.

Guest Xanthium

Sexism, ageism, the fact that she's been on top of her game and in control of her career for 30+ years. Society cannot deal with a strong, independent woman who doesn't need a man to survive financially or emotionally. They also can't deal with the fact that she doesn't have a self-destructive bone in her body. They will never bring her down. She'll never crack, have a meltdown, overdose on drugs, become obese, or turn to histrionics or self-pity for attention. The media is like a pissed off ex-lover that got dumped and left in the dust. NOW DRIVE BITCH.

And I am by no means making lite of rape or celebs that want to talk about it, but do you know how many celebs would probably pull that card every chance they had for public sympathy? Like has been said. Madonna has never wanted to be seen as a victim to feel sorry for.

Sure she brings up losing her mother a lot, and how devastating it was, but I don't think that's for sympathy points. Whenever she talks about losing her mother its always in the context about how in the end that moment made her stronger and more of a fighter.

Okay maybe she does say she became of victim of a kind of "rage" but she took that rage and used that energy for positive. She controlled it, and didn't let it control her.

agism- its like a social norm that older people should retire, it goes so deep into people's mind so when someone doesn't go with it people criticize them

sexism- if she's a man everything she does will not be such a big deal (jumping around on stage naked, dating much younger women, etc.)

in fact the press does say good things about her but its always the bad ones that get spread around all the time

and of course other artists get negative critics as well- less than M probably because they are either the "up-and-rising-young-star" type or the not-so-relevant type. but we as Madonna fans just don't care about peoples opinion on them as much as we do when it comes to M.

I don't think the media is doing this on purpose tho, it's possible for one person or probably a group of them to badmouth someone else because of things like jealousy, but the media is not just one person, there are thousands of writers and journalists out there, I don't see how can they can just all make their mind to bring M down ON PURPOSE.

true, but there has been times when it was like the majority of the press praised her or at least appreciated her talent, for example: 1998-2001.

Madonna doesn't need the press to put her on the top of a pedestal. She got to the top of one on her own and her accomplishments she continues to have to this day prove the bitch is not coming down any time soon.

THIS! The media has an immense power. Like it or not but they have a huge influence on peoples opinions and positions. From their perspective THEY make or THEY break someone. Und they use it. A lot! And nowadays it doesn't even matter if what they say or write is true. Once the "news" is out it's out. Deal with the consequences later. In addition to that there has been a huge shift from news to commentary which explains the success of Fox "News" or Talk Radio. It's pure opinion making disguised as news. The difference is that a commentary is always ones opinion based on the persons own political and/or social standpoint whereas news are meant to be cold hard facts. Unfortunately people especially younger people don't no the difference or simply don't care.

The above mentioned in mind, it makes perfect sense that they hate Madonna. Because they have NO power over her. She does not accept their concept of "make or break". For 30 years they constantly try to bring her down by writing or reporting the most vicious things about her. Yet she is still standing where every other person, male or female, would have faltered. At this point they act like a little child who does not get what it wants. But all their attempts go unnoticed. And that irks them even more. It's a cycle they can't escape.

true, but there has been times when it was like the majority of the press praised her or at least appreciated her talent, for example: 1998-2001.

And based on her work during this time there was simply no reason to bash her (not that the quality of her work ever mattered when it comes to writing scathing review). But wasn't that the time when she was the least political. So family friendly, no controversies, so down to earth. She was no threat. I think much of the press thought they finally put her in her place. Little they knew considering how it all changed with AL.

Like what Madge herself said that people are more interested in other peoples' downfall and not being able to succeed in life other than themselves.... There are just so much negativity among people that such an attitude is difficult to change unless one consciously put their mind and is determined to make a change.

With 3 decades of Madonna's awesomeness, she has already risen above these miserable little peoples' comments which we should never dwell on...

• 2 weeks later...

it is like this article. I do not know if has been posted or not. Madonna is helping her brother and they make her seem like a cheapskate. he is so lucky she is doing anything at all after all that crap he said about her. she wont enable hm either. i am sure she will help him more once he is sober longer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2513485/Madonna-buys-teeth-brother-Martin-Ciccone-year-sobriety.html