Why is the press so negative towards Madonna?

elijah

Lets see the last example which should have been a positive article if one knew the facts:

Madonna and U2 are about to get a new manager: Live Nation Entertainment (LYV).

The concert-promotion titan and owner of Ticketmaster is in talks to buy both Principle Management and Maverick, the companies behind U2′s manager Paul McGuinness and Madonna’s Guy Oseary, and thus solidify Live Nation’s hold on two of its most profitable artists. “This is a way for Live Nation to more efficiently bundle together all those revenue streams related to two artists in which they’ve already made much larger investment,” says Larry Miller, professor of music business at New York University’s Steinhardt School.

Live Nation actually manages a lot of artists: The company’s Artist Nation division works with about 200 acts already, and Madonna and U2 have long been under its wing. In 2007, Madonna signed a 10-year, $120 million deal to let Live Nation distribute her studio albums, promote her concert tours, and sell her merchandise. U2 and Jay-Z struck similar deals in 2008.

So far these deals have paid off. In 2011, U2′s 360 Tour—the band’s first after signing the 12-year Live Nation deal—broke the Rolling Stones’ record for most profitable tour ever by selling more than $700 million in tickets. Madonna’s numbers have been significantly smaller: Last year’s 88-stop MDNA tour pulled in $305 million, which was still enough to make her the top-selling act of 2012.

Concertgoers may be wary of Live Nation’s vertically-integrated stranglehold on the music industry now that it’s managing, promoting, and selling tickets to two of the biggest live acts around, but the deal with Principle and Maverick seems unlikely to raise prices much further. “Prices are already pretty high,” says Miller. “I don’t think this is going to drive them up much further. This is more about optimizing the revenue that’s already coming in.”

What’s more interesting about the deal is that Live Nation is investing so heavily in artists who are past their prime. Last year, for example, Madonna’s MDNA album dropped from 359,000 in sales its first week to a shockingly low 48,000 its second week. U2′s last album, 2009′s No Line on the Horizon, was also a disappointment.

But album sales haven’t been an arbiter of an artist’s moneymaking potential for years. These days, its concerts and festivals that bring in all the money—and middle-aged U2 and Madonna fans have more disposable income to spend on tickets. Last year, the average cost of a Madonna ticket ($160) was nearly twice that of Justin Bieber’s.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-11-13/why-live-nation-wants-to-put-madonna-and-u2-under-new-management

Why trowing shade at any chance? While Bilboard hapily reports that Gaga is set for N 1 (hardly mentioning her numbers which is a big fall from the opening numbers of her last album), this journalist ignores the fact MDNA sold like 400 k for the biggest drop?

I would like to know too, that biased hate is really pathetic. Sometimes it's a bit hard to be a Madonna fan because of that. I'm a fan for life but that constant negative press is annoying.

But album sales haven’t been an arbiter of an artist’s moneymaking potential for years. These days, its concerts and festivals that bring in all the money—and middle-aged U2 and Madonna fans have more disposable income to spend on tickets. Last year, the average cost of a Madonna ticket ($160) was nearly twice that of Justin Bieber’s.

i HATE when i read this kind of comments implying that M's fans are ALL wealthy middle aged gay men. This may be the case in the US but in Europe and South America the average age of her followers is considerably lower

Edited by TearsInHeaven

I'm not sure why either. But it does annoy me how other celebrities are praised for doing the same thing Madonna does, whereas she is harshly criticized for doing certain things. An example is I was watching the pre game show for Monday Night Football and there was this profile on this player and his wife (both white) who adopted three children from Uganda. The wife mentioned something about a lot of red tape in adopting them, but there were no allegations of kidnapping or baby shopping and no questions asked about why they didn't adopt a child from the US The tone of the profile was what wonderful people they are doing for this. Very different from the media coverage of Madonna's adoptions.

Exactly! Plus isnt this a woman that should be given for example? She has been on top for most of her 30ty years long career, never did drugs and the people were always interested in her. Shouldnt she be a figure everyone admires if not for her music (its subjective so it can't be everyones cup of tea) but for her staying power, hard work, dedication and compassion?

It's easy. Madonna rocked 30 years ago. Madonna rocked 20 years ago. Madonna rocked 10 years ago. And she still fucking rocks now. Madonna never tried to be the media's darling, she always did her thing and she continues on doing this to this day, regardless of what her critics say, what people expect her to do (the most recent example being 'acting her age'). She never fell, never had a breakdown. The media would mostly love to see her downfall, but obviously they'll never get to.

Artists past their prime = proven and guaranteed money makers vs. Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber who are CLEARLY working through ISSUES....and let's face it, even if they were 100% clean and perfect angels on the road, they STILL wouldn't match Madonna or U2 $$....they simply don't have the hits.

Album sales haven't been in arbiter of an artists money making potential for years.....BUT.....WE STILL WANT TO SHOUT OUT THE FACT THAT MADONNA (LIKE MANY YOUNGER ARTISTS) ISN'T SELLING WHAT SHE USED TO......but she did provide Universal Music Group with one of the top 10 best selling albums of the year worldwide.

AND of course $$ from "middle-aged" fans isn't as spendable as the $$ from the parents of teenage fans and young adults.

It's all so irrelevant.....why didn't this writer just throw in what they had for breakfast that day too.

I remember reading an article on the most sucessful female singers in 1996. When I reached her, it said that she was imensely sucessful, but her good years are behind her and pretty much digged her. Cut to 1998 when she issued her best album which on top of that was very popular.

They've all written her off at some point and can't admit that they had it all wrong.

Exactly.

Since day one the press declared her a one hit wonder.

Over 30 years later she still here. A so called has been that was the top earning artist of 2013.

Only people who have major ass burn could twist themselves into a pretzel trying to spin that as a negative.

I remember reading an article on the most sucessful female singers in 1996. When I reached her, it said that she was imensely sucessful, but her good years are behind her and pretty much digged her. Cut to 1998 when she issued her best album which on top of that was very popular.

Then cut to American Life where once again the claws came out and everyone declared her career was over.

Cut to the next album which was one of the most successful of her career along with scoring the biggest hit of her career with Hung Up.

THE ASS BURN!!!! IT HURTS!!! IT HURTS!!!

I think a lot of the bad press is because Madonna personally has never come off like a ticking time bomb. She's always been in control. Even her most controversial moments, were basically created with her blessing.... especially regarding her career. So with that said, it's like people/press need to pick for things to make her look bad. I do believe Madonna is far more respected than she used to be. In fact, I do recall from the start, people doubted that she would last and make very similar comments about her that I even hear from Madonna fans say about younger artists today.

The good thing about Madonna is she doesn't usually react to the negativity. If she does, it's through her lyrics or through sarcasm. I know she was given some shit over adopting her kids, which was just complete B.S. in the first place. She did come out to defend herself there, but I don't think it was necessary. People are just gonna think what they want anyway. Though, I felt SHE needed to say something, so she can address the issues in adoption and those needed to be adopted.

In the end, Madonna has never played the victim card. She seems to be able to rise above the criticism and usually ignores it or finds ways to make fun or light of it.

Madonna

Like a Virgin

True Blue

Who's That Girl

You Can Dance

Like a Prayer

I'm Breathless

The Immaculate Collection

Erotica

Bedtime Stories

Something to Remember

Evita

Ray of Light

Music

GHV2

American Life

Remixed and Revisited

I'm Going to Tell you a Secret

Confessions on a Dance Floor

Confessions Tour

Hard Candy

Sticky and Sweet Tour

Celebration

MDNA

MDNA World Tour

I line 'em up

And watch them

FALL!

i HATE when i read this kind of comments implying that M's fans are ALL wealthy middle aged gay men. This may be the case in the US but in Europe and South America the average age of her followers is considerably lower

I would even argue that. As someone that has been to Madonna's last 3 concerts I can tell you her crowd is anything but middle aged gay men. Sure there are tons of gay men, but a huge amount of them are in their 20s, along with a lot of females both young and older.

I mean I have only ever seen her in NYC, and maybe NYC attracts a younger crowd compared to other places in the US. I don't know.

And even if she did attract nothing but middle aged gay men, I don't know why that would even matter. The fact still remains she has held onto a massive audience that is willing to shell out the big bucks for her for 3 decades. Add to it, they continue to shell out the cash for her time and again knowing at this point that when they see her its not going to be a greatest hits tour. So the idea that she is an icon that is simply a nostalgia act is a myth also.

when people read ageist comments like that in an article from a more "respected" magazine, not only about Madonna but also U2, I can't believe that anyone over 30 or even 25 would read it without rolling their eyes over it. especially when they also talk about U2, who are quite respected when it comes to performances and music (probably more than M). I'm sure in gossip magazines when it's just only about M, you'll see a big group of agree. but add in U2 in a more serious magazine and I think the "writer" of an article like that may get some hate mails for being an ageist.

i think they don't like that she's so strong and doesn't often show vulnerability (like most women) in public. she is not a victim, and people can't relate to that. she has to feel sad or hurt, and if it's not by something in her career, then the press or public has to make her feel that way. i know it sounds silly but I think thats what it comes down to.. it's pure jealousy.

Exactly! Plus isnt this a woman that should be given for example? She has been on top for most of her 30ty years long career, never did drugs and the people were always interested in her. Shouldnt she be a figure everyone admires if not for her music (its subjective so it can't be everyones cup of tea) but for her staying power, hard work, dedication and compassion?

30 years, long career, staying power......those are just nice ways of saying OLD. OLD trumps anything good. Instead, let's shower with praise someone who (most importantly) is in their 20's, someone who was BRAVE enough to overcome a life threatening......ahem....."hip surgery", someone who is just so cool and bad ass that they will do drugs ON STAGE in front of their primarily teenage audience, someone who is true to their message by example (ie: putting out the "self empowerment song for a generation" and then botching your face at age 27).

Madonna could "only" shift 359,000 of her album on the first week because she's old. On the other hand, the "biggest pop star in the world" is only able to shift 250k because the music is just too brilliant for the masses to grasp.

If I were Glamour magazine I know who I would choose to be woman of the year.

ugh but isn't the fan base or most of the people you see at any concert like that? go to an indie band and 60% will be hipsters and the other people will be curious/casual fans. go to a U2 concert and 60% will be 30(or over) something straight males.

I have noticed that there are a lot of older gay fans in the US but to be honest, I see people of all "kinds" at Madonna's shows. I saw all ages in my own country. and all types of people. sure, a lot of them are male and gay, but there are also a lot of young straight people too.

I actually think it was "worse" (not that it's a bad thing at ALL) when I saw her at the confessions tour. many people came up to me and said "oh you must be the youngest fan here!" and when I looked around I thought they could be right. but after confessions, and for SS, (maybe thanks to justin) I saw a lot more young people. in spain it was filled with people younger than me! they all look pretty young in russia too ;)

I do get the sense (from seeing pictures) that the fans seem older overall in the US though.

but you're always gonna have a big group of the same "kinds" of people for any concert.. and 40% of the others are the casuals. it's always like that. (well probably except for gaga. I could've sworn 99% of the people were mentally challenged. and that was back in 2010.)

Madonna could "only" shift 359,000 of her album on the first week because she's old. On the other hand, the "biggest pop star in the world" is only able to shift 250k because the music is just too brilliant for the masses to grasp.

This actually is an excuse her Monsters use. She is just TOO artistic for the simple minded general public to be able to grasp. :lmao:

1. age

2. woman

3. longevity (she's the only female pop star from the 80's that still has a bigger career than most "current" stars, so I would say the media is "annoyed"

Meanwhile Celine came back with a new album that opened with only 77k in the US.

Where are all the articles declaring her a middle aged washed up has been?

Oh that's right. There aren't any. Funny that.

Have been following what the press has been writing about M since the early nineties, and I think the internet gave her so much shit about her age, the Super Bowl, release of MDNA, and reviews for the concerts and promo videos. However, MDNA era is one of my all time favorite eras anyway.

Remember her also receiving tons of negative press around Erotica, but who cared because everything she was doing in the early nineties was pretty amazing(Well the sex book is not the greatest in some parts, but still extremely outrageous and very fun for a mainstream artist).

The media loves when a hugely popular celeb has a breakdown or a potentially career-ending fuck up, or a comeback-story-from-the-depths-of-addiction, etc.

Madonna has never had any of these things happen to her.

She keeps working hard and doing her thing regardless of anything on the outside. The media don't know what to do with her -- God forbid they compliment or praise her for her healthy, lead-by-example work ethic. Oh no. They're all stuck on her age, or on the idea that she's some slutty bitch.

They can't elevate themselves past it and she continually makes them look foolish. She's one of the most ill-treated by the media entertainers in history I'd bet.

This actually is an excuse her Monsters use. She is just TOO artistic for the simple minded general public to be able to grasp. :lmao:

They are the worst, it's to be expected from the fans though I suppose. What kills me is the mainstream press (I'm looking at you Billboard magazine) that says stupid shit like that. That's the thing, no matter how low LG falls, there is ALWAYS an excuse. She could get to the point where she's only able to sell out clubs and her fans will use that ridiculous "her art is too deep for the masses" bullshit AND what's worse is the media will back it up.

The media loves when a hugely popular celeb has a breakdown or a potentially career-ending fuck up, or a comeback-story-from-the-depths-of-addiction, etc.

Madonna has never had any of these things happen to her.

She keeps working hard and doing her thing regardless of anything on the outside. The media don't know what to do with her -- God forbid they compliment or praise her for her healthy, lead-by-example work ethic. Oh no. They're all stuck on her age, or on the idea that she's some slutty bitch.

They can't elevate themselves past it and she continually makes them look foolish. She's one of the most ill-treated by the media entertainers in history I'd bet.

Although the criticism she garnered in the early 90's was over the top and unnecessary, it was to be expected. She was crossing major boundaries of what was acceptable at that time. NOW though......she gets criticized for stupid things. When you boil it all down, she pretty much gets criticized for taking care of herself (she works out too much, she's a bad parent because she wants her kids to eat rabbit food like she does instead of cheeseburgers) AND because she DARES to actually continue working just as she always has.

Didn't Madonna get criticized in fairly recent years for making her children clean up their own messes? Or the absolute KICKER.....getting treated like a kidnapper for saving a dying child who was left in an orphanage.

Didn't Madonna get criticized in fairly recent years for making her children clean up their own messes? Or the absolute KICKER.....getting treated like a kidnapper for saving a dying child who was left in an orphanage.

Or for telling a fan to put out a cig. :lmao: GOD FORBID!

And of course people ran to call her a hypocrite for smoking up in music videos and such using cigs as props pretty much, and instead of saying sorry for it or trying to explain herself she does what I love best. Goes out the next night and lights a cig up on stage and starts puffing away. :lol: She doesn't cry about the way she is treated or kicks and screams. She makes a joke of it and moves on.

Or for telling a fan to put out a cig. :lmao: GOD FORBID!

And of course people ran to call her a hypocrite for smoking up in music videos and such using cigs as props pretty much, and instead of saying sorry for it or trying to explain herself she does what I love best. Goes out the next night and lights a cig up on stage and starts puffing away. :lol: She doesn't cry about the way she is treated or kicks and screams. She makes a joke of it and moves on.

That's another thing......people don't get her sense of humor.....at all. It all goes over their heads. She's making fun of THEM by lighting up on stage and they call her a hypocrite for smoking. Talk about missing the point.

I'm gonna make a pompous Monsteresque comment here but......a lot of the general public and press, TRULY don't get Madonna's brand of "pop art". ;)