Would you care if she never had another "big hit"?

Apples388

Have you listened to pop radio at all? There is some great music being played. It is not 2004 any more.

These are the two most played songs in the US right now.

1. LORDE Royals: 214.665m

2. AVICII Wake Me Up: 193.575m

Two great songs. What is "generic" or bad about them? People love them because they are very good and unique. Making the difference is the key.

It's Madonna who's releasing "generic" shallow songs like the MDNA singles. She needs to wake up. Don't blame mainstream music. As someone said, if you're gonna flop, at least flop with I'm Addicted instead of GMAYL.

Also, it's impossible to have a big worldwide hit without proper support by an actual record label.

You think that Lordes Royals and Aviciis Wake me up are not generic? Bad taste. :lol:

With the new rules its very possible. Years ago she depended heavily on radio airplay. Today there are many other ways to put a song on top of the charts. Billboard changed the rules so much that almost anything can be a #1 hit these days.

You think that Lordes Royals and Aviciis Wake me up are not generic? Bad taste. :lol:

Generic this, generic that. This term has become the new "flop". Everything is generic. Enough already.

Some years ago I was still waiting for her "Cher's Believe" type of monster hit... Today I just want a great album, doesn't matter if it sells 500K copies but that can be translated into a GREATEST tour

4 Minutes was her "Believe" :chuckle:

How many people here even listen to radio anyway? I know I don't, not if I can help it anyway. Radio now is just unnecessary talking that nobody cares about

Joe, while driving most people still unconsciously tune the radio. Even though airplay is not as important as it used to be, a lot of people still listen to the radio while driving to their homes/work. So i wouldn't say that radio is unnecessary and nobody cares about, but of course its not as determinant as it used to be in the past. I believe that Madonna nowadays could score more hits based on the new rules and the radio airplay could be a very welcome bonus as a promotional tool.

Joe, while driving most people still unconsciously tune the radio. Even though airplay is not as important as it used to be, a lot of people still listen to the radio while driving to their homes/work. So i wouldn't say that radio is unnecessary and nobody cares about, but of course its not as determinant as it used to be in the past. I believe that Madonna nowadays could score more hits based on the new rules and the radio airplay could be a very welcome bonus as a promotional tool.

I can't be the only that prefers to listen to music that I want to listen to over music that somebody else has picked. Like obviously now it's easier than ever to just plug in a phone/ipod and play songs from there. Even if I'm in the car for two minutes, I still plug in my phone.

Here in the UK, radio 1 is still half decent (apart from the obvious payola when the DJs were saying applause was their "song of the week" :lmao:) but Capital is basically just a repeat of the top 10 all day

Maybe it's because I'm a bit older than most of you, but I'm a little confused as to what "generic" means these days. I have a guess...I assume you're describing how the production of music has changed in the last 15/20 years.

How it's predominantly "song writing by numbers", yeah? There's no more tempo or mood, just "crank up the volume".

Because that's exactly what it is.

And those two songs which were given as examples of songs that are played on radio these days...are shit!

It's pop music. What in the world do you expect to hear? If those two are as shit as you say then what the MDNA, Celebration and Hard Candy singles are? I enjoy all her singles that have been released since 2008, but please let's be realistic.

To me generic means something many other currently popular singers could be singing, or it's a song that sounds like several others currently on the radio. In other words, it's not very unique. "Royals" doesn't sound like anything else to me. And I can't imagine anyone else singing it. Katy Perry's songs are pretty generic, since they sound similar to Ke$ha and a few other females out there.

As much as I hate to say it, GMAYL wasn't "generic." I just didn't think it was very good.

It's pop music. What in the world do you expect to hear? If those two are as shit as you say then what the MDNA, Celebration and Hard Candy singles are? I enjoy all her singles that have been released since 2008, but please let's be realistic.

I think I am being realistic. I'm guessing I grew-up in a different decade than you.

Today's music (besides a few artists out there) has no raw layers, it's dissonant. There's no motivation to composition any more. No texture or character. All the vocals sound ....exactly.... the.... same.

And, it caters to a dumb, attention deficit generation.

Madonna has ironic personality and she uses minimal intervals of harmony. She always has no matter what genre she has used. (She's like The Beatles in that respect).

Perfect example: someone posted something in another thread (I can't remember who). They said LAP didn't have any songs on the album with a "jam" or a "groove". Then someone else (can't remember who) posted "Keep It Together" proving them wrong. That song is a perfect example of a song FILLED with ninths, elevenths and tenths - just like Motown invented. That kind of music doesn't exist any more.

Can't you see the difference?

Generic or not both songs are awful.

Thank you!

The Lordes song is awful. And the Avicci song is just a simple vending machine/purchased from a catalog track. CRAP!

We were talking about the MDNA singles. No one compared Royals, Wake Me Up or any other song to Madonna's whole discography. They are just the top 2 songs in the US right now and were used as an example.

The point was that Madonna should raise the bar and make a difference. Not sound desperate for a hit. If you think that the songs that currently dominate the charts are bad and generic, then the MDNA singles are 10 times more generic. That's what I meant by sayng "Let's be realistic".

If you flop, flop with quality singles.

No. I'm already getting used to the fact that it may never happen again. Hit songs today generally mean you have radio support if you're under 40.

I'd rather she make music that isn't motivated by commercial success at this point, she can afford to now.

We were talking about the MDNA singles. No one compared Royals, Wake Me Up or any other song to Madonna's whole discography. They are just the top 2 songs in the US right now and were used as an example.

The point was that Madonna should raise the bar and make a difference. Not sound desperate for a hit. If you think that the songs that currently dominate the charts are bad and generic, then the MDNA singles are 10 times more generic. That's what I meant by sayng "Let's be realistic".

You said those two songs were great, very good, and unique. You are doing a horrible job at trying to sell us that. Cause no one agrees with you. :lol: Those two songs are crap.

You said those two songs were great, very good, and unique. You are doing a horrible job at trying to sell us that. Cause no one agrees with you. :lol: Those two songs are crap.

In my opinion, yes they are good songs and I don't consider "Royals" generic at all. I'm not trying to sell anything. I just don't buy the whole "whatever is high on the charts is bad and generic" argument.

I don't see how those two songs, whether good or bad, change what was said about the MDNA singles or Madonna's future releases.

I think I am being realistic. I'm guessing I grew-up in a different decade than you.

Today's music (besides a few artists out there) has no raw layers, it's dissonant. There's no motivation to composition any more. No texture or character. All the vocals sound ....exactly.... the.... same.

And, it caters to a dumb, attention deficit generation.

Madonna has ironic personality and she uses minimal intervals of harmony. She always has no matter what genre she has used. (She's like The Beatles in that respect).

Perfect example: someone posted something in another thread (I can't remember who). They said LAP didn't have any songs on the album with a "jam" or a "groove". Then someone else (can't remember who) posted "Keep It Together" proving them wrong. That song is a perfect example of a song FILLED with ninths, elevenths and tenths - just like Motown invented. That kind of music doesn't exist any more.

Can't you see the difference?

:clap: Madonna has great rhythm, timing and character in her voice. She doesn't rely on trills, runs or power notes. To sing like Madonna does is much more difficult than people understand. Imagine Mariah Carey covering Ray or light, then sooner or later and then LAV...she would sound ridiculous and uncharacteristic. Madonna on the other hand has covered songs by Marvin Gaye, Anna Frida of Abba and Jacques Brel. Madonna is extraordinarily underrated as a singer.

Why exactly are you on Madonnanation if you think that? :lol:

Have you listened to pop radio at all? There is some great music being played. It is not 2004 any more.

These are the two most played songs in the US right now.

1. LORDE – Royals: 214.665m

2. AVICII – Wake Me Up: 193.575m

Two great songs. What is "generic" or bad about them? People love them because they are very good and unique. Making the difference is the key.

It's Madonna who's releasing "generic" shallow songs like the MDNA singles. She needs to wake up. Don't blame mainstream music. As someone said, if you're gonna flop, at least flop with I'm Addicted instead of GMAYL.

Also, it's impossible to have a big worldwide hit without proper support by an actual record label.

Thank you! The radio is no worse now than it was 20 years ago.

Madonna can have all the hits she wants if she would display some level of interest in music. She NEVER talks about music anymore in her interviews.