Would you care if she never had another "big hit"?

Apples388

Sorry, but I think statements like "promote or don't release music at all" are a little ridiculous. Promotion is nice and all, but ultimately, it benefits the artist the most. Sure it's nice to see her on TV talking about how she keeps in such good shape (AGAIN), and the kids and blah blah blah but it's not necessary for me to enjoy the music. When you break it all down, Madonna has NOTHING to prove anymore. Any success she has from now on (and it's been this way for a while), is the "cherry on top" of the huge amount of success she's already had. If Madonna never promoted her albums with traditional promo again, I wouldn't care as long as I like the music.

It also lets the public know that your album is out, and to go buy it! I could give two fucks about what she discusses, or how many protein shakes she drinks daily. Just as long as she lets the public in on the fact that she has a shiny brand new product out that she spent months working on. YOU may not care how much she sells from here on out but I guarantee she does. I bet Live Nation cares too. A company doesn't sign you to sell however many you can, they expect to get their money back and then some. Not saying Madonna is in the red or anything, LOL. Just pointing out that in the end......sales DO matter and as long as she's signed with a major company and has a major label distributing her album she will be expected to deliver. Bottom line. Nobody is exempt, not even Madonna.

Guest Rachelle of London

Madonna's hit making days are over. Her last number 1 song was 13 years ago. She's old and will soon be able to collect Social Security.

her last UK no 1 was 5 years ago! her last worldwide no1 album was only 1 year ago so......

Madonna's hit making days are over. Her last number 1 song was 13 years ago. She's old and will soon be able to collect Social Security.

Okay why is this poster still here? I've looked at your other posts and you're only here to insult Madonna.

As myself and others have said, it does not matter if she never made another hit record. She is still the most successful female artist ever.

And old jokes? really? That's so lame and tired.

You're a f*****g troll.

GOODBYE

ban??????????????

How did WB promote MDNA?

And I don't think Interscope is the problem. Madonna and Guy were responsible for the lack of promo between the SB and the album release. And they're just as responsible for the single choices as the record label is. I don't think any label would have been able to convince M to do things differently. Interscope is THE biggest label right now, which means they have enormous influence. Where else could she go? Island? Nah. Capitol? No way. WB? No thanks.

silly,

OTHER ALBUMS BEFORE MDNA

WB had huge connections and promotional machine around the world.

she had 3 no.1 dance hits from her last album, so..

Universal has become a monopoly and the fact that they bought EMI made things even worse. They have way too many artists to focus just on Madonna.

Warner mainly relied on a few artists like Madonna, Linkin Park, Michael Buble, Green Day and Red Hot Chilli Peppers to make a big chunk of its money.

Warner HAD to make sure M's albums become big because their profit would suffer. She was too big for them to fail.

Right now, with this label we don't even know if we are ever going find her new releases at our local retailers even the week their out. Let alone thinking about proper push by the label on the radio/TV/press.

Lack of promo by Madonna is not an excuse. What kind of promo she did during Confessions in Central and Latin America, Australia, Canada, small European countries etc.? Nothing. But the album was a MONSTER. Same with other past albums.

Promo by her matters only in very big markets like the US, UK and Japan. In small markets it's all about the label's efforts which were non existent for the very first time in her career with the MDNA and MDNA Tour releases.

Sorry, but I think statements like "promote or don't release music at all" are a little ridiculous. Promotion is nice and all, but ultimately, it benefits the artist the most. Sure it's nice to see her on TV talking about how she keeps in such good shape (AGAIN), and the kids and blah blah blah but it's not necessary for me to enjoy the music. When you break it all down, Madonna has NOTHING to prove anymore. Any success she has from now on (and it's been this way for a while), is the "cherry on top" of the huge amount of success she's already had. If Madonna never promoted her albums with traditional promo again, I wouldn't care as long as I like the music.

Exactly... people are putting too much emphasis on her "lack of promotion" on her last album when all efforts were going towards the tour which was featuring the MDNA album. It's pretty ridiculous to say she didn't support MDNA without any promotion when the tour featured MDNA. If people really think that her album sales would have been any better by spending some time with other promotional efforts, rather jumping into touring, they are fooling themselves. Fans need to accept that she's probably never going to have a huge hit single again... no matter how much promotion is behind it. The proof is "GMAYL"... it got the hugest exposure any song could get at the SUPERBOWL. Whether you think it sucks or not, doesn't matter because a lot of crap songs that get that sort of exposure become huge. GMAYL may not been her greatest song, but it was pop perfection. Fans keep saying she released the wrong singles and actually believe if she released their favorite tracks, the singles would have done better. I don't believe any other song released would have faired any better. It's not because the songs weren't great. They were. It's because most successful music is measured by what is playing on mainstream media and at the top of the charts.

My thought... she managed to have a top 20 SELLING album in 2012. The sales for MDNA pretty much were equal to at least 5 to 7 other acts above and below her. To me, that is quite successful since it's not normal in this day to have a huge 7 million album seller as ADELE did. Everyone below her sold millions less and much closer to what Madonna sold. So again, I think she's keeping up with the other popular acts who do get massive media attention through radio and other forms of mainstream media. And face it, you can't expect her to compete with sales from much younger acts like One Direction, Adele and Taylor Swift (to name a few) because no matter how much promo Madonna does, those younger acts will get far more airplay and sale than Madonna will get these days. If she manages another huge hit, it will definitely because it tied to someone else that is much younger (Justin Timberlake ala 4 Minutes) or tied to some huge media blitz. Chances of her getting a fluke hit like Cher's "Believe" is slim. Not that I'm ruling it out!!

Lack of promo by Madonna is not an excuse. What kind of promo she did during Confessions in Central and Latin America, Australia, Canada, small European countries etc.? Nothing. But the album was a MONSTER. Same with other past albums.

Even though I'm not into the whole charts and stats bullshit...thank God somebody acknowledged this.