Big shifts in Live Nation! Oseary to take over the day-to-day management of U2

Nikki

Basquiat was actually having an affair with Madonna. He was still with his ex at the time when he was with M

The whore! I love it. I swear we need a madonna bio pic, a musical kind of like dreamgirls. Maybe the new management can make that happen.

Maybe M's next album will be released by Maverick and distributed by Interscope :tigger:

Camille Barbone is a lesbian who may had been in love with Madonna and, seduced by Madonna (according to Camille, lol), she became Madonna's 1st manager when Madonna struck on her own as a solo artist. But Camille was too slow to deliver the deal (a major label contract) and wanted the exasperated Madonna to be a Pat Benatar clone, so Madonna promptly dumped her. Camille was bitter about it for a loong time.

Basquiat, of course as you know, was THE premiere black artist (a Warhol protege/friend) who recently had a painting of his sold for over $20m. He had a legendary relationship with Madonna in the early 80s and whom Madonna left because of his addiction to hard drugs. He was devastated. He OD'd on drugs and died shortly after Warhol died. (btw, Madonna supposedly had a cat fight with his jealous ex! So dramatic :lol: )

Caresse was Madonna's longtime assistant then manager. She allegedly broke Madonna's rules on drug use and relationships with coworkers (like that midget trainer friend of high and mighty princess Gwyneth) and so Madonna supposedly fired her. She died from drug-related causes, perhaps suicide. Of course, the media portrayed Madonna as the cold bitch who probably helped drive the helpless Caresse to kill herself.

Those are the details i can recall. If there's a mistake, ask Pud, he's our M history expert :)

Wow :|

Maybe M's next album will be released by Maverick and distributed by Interscope :tigger:

I don't think Maverick is even a record label anymore. It's just Guy's production/management company or whatever.

I hope Madonna gets someone new with some fresh strategies if Guy is taking on a bigger role at Live Nation. No more "non-traditional promo" which is basically, "fuck the album, let's just do tours." I want some major promo pushes like she did with COADF and ROL.

I don't think Maverick is even a record label anymore. It's just Guy's production/management company or whatever.

I hope Madonna gets someone new with some fresh strategies if Guy is taking on a bigger role at Live Nation. No more "non-traditional promo" which is basically, "fuck the album, let's just do tours." I want some major promo pushes like she did with COADF and ROL.

And someone who's gonna make sure the album and singles get a proper release with promo by the label worldwide. Not just in the US.

I agree.Please,no more of this "non-traditional promo"!

Guest Rachelle of London

How many more times does it have to be said! The NTP was Madonnas idea! Guy was trying to get her to do more promo for MDNA SHE wouldn't do it! We've heard that from the horses mouth! New manager may mean the same NTP. My god!

How many more times does it have to be said! The NTP was Madonnas idea! Guy was trying to get her to do more promo for MDNA SHE wouldn't do it! We've heard that from the horses mouth! New manager may mean the same NTP. My god!

Thank you thank you thank you

How many more times does it have to be said! The NTP was Madonnas idea!

Guy was trying to get her to do more promo for MDNA SHE wouldn't do it!

We've heard that from the horses mouth! New manager may mean the same NTP. My god!

:chuckle::thumbsup:

MDNA (#12 best-selling record of the year) sold almost 2m copies

On a par with the rest of the year-end top 10 best-selling records of 2012 (minus Adele and Swift)

It gave Madonna the #1 tour of the year

Some people need to realise that COADF/ROL/Music types of promotion days are over for good and not just for Madonna. TV is loosing ratings because of new media and people who are half her age aren't doing half of that kind of promotion. Look at Goober, she's placed herself 24/7 on every channel/festival and her career is already a mess 5 years in. Business model has changed and not just because people don't care about physical copies anymore

Get over NTP

Guest Rachelle of London

Thank you XXL. Bloody hell! No one watches chat shows anymore, I'd rather have a great tour like MDNA to look back on then a few 20min cat show appearances! Just to sell a few more thousand copies

Madonna didn't promote the album because she liked the idea of the NTP strategy or anything like that, she didn't promote it because she didn't care. She did more promo for the TOD perfume, which is telling.

Of course you don't need to whore yourself out like Joanne does, but that doesn't mean there isn't anything between doing promo the way she does or doing little to no promo at all. Having to hear Joanne desperately saying "buy ARTPOP on iTunes" every day won't really do much besides annoying you, but what will a promo campaign do that won't even make the general public know you have an album out?

Madonna didn't promote the album because she liked the idea of the NTP strategy or anything like that, she didn't promote it because she didn't care. She did more promo for the TOD perfume, which is telling.

Of course you don't need to whore yourself out like Joanne does, but that doesn't mean there isn't anything between doing promo the way Gaga does or doing little to no promo at all.

Oh please, Madonna has sold 300m copies worldwide, people don't buy music anymore

If the top selling album of todays shift between 2 and 4m copies vs probably 10m/15m/20m of ten, fifteen years ago and three decades on she still delivered a cool 2m what difference does it actually make at all??

Saying she cares more about promoting the TOD range or the Macy venture or the gyms is such an easy and banal thing to say. Of course she cares about promoting those things, it's a huge part of her career, just as for any other so-called A-list personality or huge mainstream artist. It is called SHOWBUSINESS and that's how it's always functioned from the biggest names to the smallest indie act.

Does that mean she put out a sub-par product with that record? Can anyone honestly say that? Most critics and fans alike loved MDNA so to me, as a fan, she's fulfilled what she committed to in the first place and my interest feels justified. On top of that she even gives the best tour of her career, 30 years in so I can't ask for more

I am not interested in her gyms with HC pics of hers plastered on the wall, I won't buy her perfume and if I buy merchandise I'll buy the tourbook because that's the only thing that personally interests me but if she wants to capitalise on her fame/music/tours/image and her ability to always make a statement and her status in the entertainment industry in general who is anyone to judge her for that??

Did you like MDNA? That's the only thing that matters

If your answer is yes then what do you care that she promoted it or not when on the sales front it wouldn't have made ANY difference AT ALL and STILL it went on to be the 12th most bought record of the year? So what she did was giving you a great album AND a great tour

The Superbowl was a very stressful experience. And on top of that, she had to tour for like 10 months non-stop!

Also, think of all the time she had to spend to get ready for both the Superbowl and the tour. There was just no time for other kinds of promo.

She worked VERY hard for a whole year.

When things got more relaxes she went to Ellen... Then she went to the Billboard awards.

It was just a priority issue and lack of time.

I am sure next time things will be a bit more traditional because there won't be a Superbowl again.

Superbowl, new album and new tour in just 3-4 months and "traditional" cannot go together.

I'm having a hard time figuring out when Madonna was supposed to promote MDNA in a "traditional" manner, since the album was released in April and she was in the midst of tour preparations at the time. As cellhighness and others have pointed out, Guy was practically begging her to do more promo, but she put her foot down and chose to work on the tour and (selfishly!) spend time with her family (how dare she?!). Let's not forget that she was spending all day rehearsing and then doing interviews/Twitter sessions etc. towards midnight. Like it or not, the woman is human - she doesn't live solely to entertain us.

Of course you don't need to whore yourself out like Joanne does, but that doesn't mean there isn't anything between doing promo the way she does or doing little to no promo at all. Having to hear Joanne desperately saying "buy ARTPOP on iTunes" every day won't really do much besides annoying you, but what will a promo campaign do that won't even make the general public know you have an album out?

Madonna didn't promote MDNA because she had other priorities and she knows, and we should all accept this as fact, that only hardcore fans buy records nowadays & they will buy the record of their idol, promo or no promo. Look at Caca and Miley, they were everywhere promoting their CD & Katy has one of the biggest hits of the year and still none of them could break the 300,000 mark. On the other hand, Eminem who hardly does any promo sold more than double than any of them. Just shows that his record-buying fan base is bigger. I also presume that the people who still buy CDs nowadays are the type who are active in social media & they will become aware somehow if their favorite artist has a new CD coming out. Sorry, but that's the reality of the business today. Madonna must be thinking - "Why spend so much time, money & effort on something that won't make much of a difference anyway. If you want to see me perform these songs, come to my show."

Madonna didn't sign with Live Nation so she could continue to do things just as she did them when she was with WB. If she wanted to keep doing things the same way, she would've renewed with WB. From a business perspective, I think she's had the same goal since day one......to make the most $$. I don't think it's ever been about selling the most albums and having the most hit singles necessarily. The whole paradigm of the music industry has shifted so therefore, her promotional strategies have had to change with that shift. As Forbes pointed out in 1990, Madonna was the highest earning female entertainer that year and had been in the top five every year from 1986 up until that point (probably beyond too), that's back when album sales were the big "bread winner". Now, touring is the big "bread winner" and she's still topping that same list. She didn't maintain that position by trying to hold on to the way things used to be as many of her fans want her to. She moved forward and she's reaping the rewards. What other entertainers from 1990 are topping this list in 2013??

With all that said, she STILL is VERY successful as an album seller too (YES...even MDNA). Why is it that some fans blatantly disregard the fact that she had one of the top selling albums of 2012?? The only artists above her (minus Rod Stewart with his Christmas album) are all artists that are "new" in the grand scheme of things. OF COURSE she's not going to have THE number one selling album of the year each time she puts an album out. She wasn't even doing that in her hey day. NKOTB, MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice were slaughtering Madonna in album sales back in 1990 just as Britney, N'Sync and BSB were slaughtering her in 2000. If you look at her actual rankings though at the end of each year, she's almost always among (or very close to) having one of the top 10 selling albums of the year.

For the life of me, I don't know what alternate reality some fans live in that think she's going to shift 5 or 10 million albums EVER again, much less EVERY time she releases an album. That's just simply NOT realistic anymore.....for ANYONE......even Adele! ;)

The Superbowl was a very stressful experience. And on top of that, she had to tour for like 10 months non-stop! Also, think of all the time she had to spend to get ready for both the Superbowl and the tour. There was just no time for other kinds of promo.

She worked VERY hard for a whole year. When things got more relaxes she went to Ellen... Then she went to the Billboard awards. It was just a priority issue and lack of time. I am sure next time things will be a bit more traditional because there won't be a Superbowl again.

Superbowl, new album and new tour in just 3-4 months and "traditional" cannot go together.

Thank you

I'm having a hard time figuring out when Madonna was supposed to promote MDNA in a "traditional" manner, since the album was released in April and she was in the midst of tour preparations at the time. As cellhighness and others have pointed out, Guy was practically begging her to do more promo, but she put her foot down and chose to work on the tour and (selfishly!) spend time with her family (how dare she?!). Let's not forget that she was spending all day rehearsing and then doing interviews/Twitter sessions etc. towards midnight. Like it or not, the woman is human - she doesn't live solely to entertain us.

:chuckle::thumbsup:

Madonna didn't promote MDNA because she had other priorities and she knows, and we should all accept this as fact, that only hardcore fans buy records nowadays & they will buy the record of their idol, promo or no promo. Look at Caca and Miley, they were everywhere promoting their CD & Katy has one of the biggest hits of the year and still none of them could break the 300,000 mark.

On the other hand, Eminem who hardly does any promo sold more than double than any of them. Just shows that his record-buying fan base is bigger. I also presume that the people who still buy CDs nowadays are the type who are active in social media & they will become aware somehow if their favorite artist has a new CD coming out.

Sorry, but that's the reality of the business today. Madonna must be thinking - "Why spend so much time, money & effort on something that won't make much of a difference anyway. If you want to see me perform these songs, come to my show."

Absolutely!!! :clap:

For those who complain about Madonna opening gyms etc get with the programme, you are 6 years late. Madonna doesn't need business/marketing/distribution advice from any of us. She could write an encyclopedia on it and her career is testament to that. In fact she was even asked to give lectures on the subject by Harvard people on several occasions

http://www.today.com/id/21324512#.UoZsIdJg9Vc

October 2007

“The paradigm in the music business has shifted and as an artist and a business woman, I have to move with that shift,” Madonna said. “For the first time in my career, the way that my music can reach my fans is unlimited. I’ve never wanted to think in a limited way and with this new partnership, the possibilities are endless.”

For every 1m album copies sold today -----------> $20m in revenue for the record company

And younger acts like Bieber, Perry etc only see a fraction of that $20m

(MDNA sold a couple and so did Maroon 5 and other current hot shot acts)

Average figure for a best-selling act today 3m copies (just do the Math)

Madonna's Touring $710m in 4 years time

+ tens of millions from merchandising/licensing and various endorsements + all the rest

It's ridiculous that this NTP thing is even still talked about /questioned