Is Music (the album) underrated?

madonnasuperfan01

The whole song are different loops playing backwards. The drums, the guitar...everything.....the loops are continuously being played backwards.

My husband showed me how to do it on his keyboards.

Everything is backwards except Madonna's singing and Charlotte Gainsbourg's speaking part.

I didn't know this but makes sense. I've always thought it was one of her more interesting songs.

Yes, the song is great. And has anybody ever played it correctly? how does it sound????

It wouldn't sound right if you played it "forward", so to speak. It would only sound like the same repeating loops over and over again, because that's all the song is. ....only backwards.

Guest Pud Whacker

yes, i believe music is completely underrated. great from beginning to end and highly influential.

13 years later, i still hear those sounds in todays music.

yes, i believe music is completely underrated. great from beginning to end and highly influential.

13 years later, i still hear those sounds in todays music.

It hasn't aged! Especially the title track. It's so fresh. I love it.

Guest sambassile

Any official sales figures for Music? Did it reach the 12 million mark?

I know that ROL sold few million copies more, but what is the actual gap between them ? 2 to 3 million ?

I always believed that Music sold 12 million+ and ROL 15 million+

Edited by sambassile

I remember at the time not liking RL or Amazing very much bc they sounded like ROL outtakes and Mirwais' tracks were so much fresher and new. However, I did grow to like Amazing quite a bit and recently even rediscovered RL. I think I've grown to appreciate WO more as time goes on. I NEVER wanted her to work with him again, but his tracks are some of my favorites on MDNA.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really really really starting to like that "Do you like to tango?" bit.

It's very cerebral, very worldly. Like no matter what dance you do or what culture you're from, we're all equal. It's the music that brings us together.

It's very..., SPICE UP YO LYFE.

• 2 months later...

Inspired by the Miley Cyrus duet, I've just listened to the Music album for the first time in a long while. What a great album, still very fresh sounding! I've definitely underrated it in the past.

I listened to it yesterday, and then went on to have a bit of a fieldday and listened to AL, COADF, HC and MDNA.

I've never been a huge fan of Music... the production is quirky and solid, her vocals are beautiful, the mixing is good, the songwriting is lovely... but it doesn't work for me I can never get behind it. Though that said, I couldn't tell you why for the life of me.

American Life on the other hand :dramatic:
That album has aged magnificently. The flow is wonderful, the tracks beautiful at best, and jarring at worst: but I think the key difference is AL seeks to be jarring in every way, therefore even when the tracks jarring is unpleasant it's hardly unsuccessful. When Music is soppy and clichéd I think it's a failure because while she may have been trying for simple/classic she probably wasn't going for wet fish.

*apologises for derailing thread*

I think Music is rare in M's canon in that it is neither under nor overrated and is actually recognised solidly as what it is. The only other one of her works I can think that is viewed quite as fairly is Like a Virgin.

To be honest, it's my favorite album of hers. I don't know why! It's so random! But I just adore it! I think it's one of her most consistent albums thematically, sonically and quality-wise. I loooove it!

what is the theme?

I never even knew it was underrated until I came on to this forum. For me Like A Preyer, Ray of Light and Music are her only album that I love every single song on. Music is just perfect, I especially love how it's just 10 tracks each with it's own personality.

It's my favorite: absolute perfection. From the vocal bridge of Runaway Lover to the lyric imagery of WIFLFAG to the heartbreak of Gone, this album is flawless. Two of the biggest singles of her career, plus a third mid-sized hit.

I suppose it might get overshadowed by LAP and ROL now, but in all honesty the back to back eras of ROL-Music constituted one of the largest chunks of Goodwill toward M. in her career. She was officially a legend, but also vital and current, holding court on the radio with the new acts of the day.

The Music era was just as big for her as the ROL era. The album was Number One, the title track was HUGE, she had the best first week sales of her career, another slew of Grammy nods, uber successful appearance on MTV Europe Awards, Letterman performance, great reviews, made year-end lists in RS, Spin, and probably others I am forgetting. Lots of mag covers and general sense that she was amazing. Won some awards in the 2000 RS Readers Poll. The goodwill toward this album carried over for a few years, it made RS's Top 500 albums of all time and took position alongside ROL and LAP in the 1001 Albums You Must Listen to Before You Die book.

I also remember Spin putting her on their list of the forty most vital artists in music during that period, and choosing DTM as the second best single of 2001, saying that no artist had ever released a song so great so many years after his/her first masterpiece, so really she was riding high all of 2000 and 2001, plus the Drowned World Tour!

It may seem underrated by fans on here (?), but in the grand scheme of her career, I don't think so.