Russell Brand Wants To Start a Revolution

CJM

I said that to explain Madonna's approach with the secret project. Madonna has been creating change over a long period of time. I do agree with celebrities having a voice in what is going on in the world. They are citizens with concerns and I applaud Russell Brand. I love when celebrities and people who are influential are passionate about change. They already have to attention of the media. Why not use that to create positive change? I have said before that what Madonna can do for real change in the world is very important for me. I believe that she can be and has been influential in positive change. Madonna's approach is different than other idealists. Ultimately I am with Russell Brand in what he says here especially about doing something about what you find unjust and talking about it and not tolerating it anymore. I'm with him and hope more celebrities speak up and inspire people.

I totally agree. And I see Madonna as trying to encourage us to express ourselves and trying to make cultural and social changes through the arts, while Russell doesn't beat around the bush and lays it all out there.

I also agree with the idea that we should just "halt everything to bring transformation". I also agree it's going to be hard to get people on board with that concept. Too many of us, single or not are too comfortable with our lives. We have become far from "self sufficient". Some will claim they are in some aspects, but I'm meaning self-sufficient in how we maintain our shelter, obtain our food, clothes and protect ourselves. If there was some violent revolt against the government, how many of us can say we can protect ourselves? I know a lot of us, do not own weapons. We could be easy pickings no matter how physically fit we are.

He's really fucking smart, another example of 'journalists' trying to denigrate him, talking about his style and trivial things and bam, suddenly they don't know what hit them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADJhErmJuoQ

I'm seriously thinking about buying tickets to his Messiah Complex thingy, he will be in Copenhagen the 3rd of December

Get tickets luv! He will be great.

If anyone here doesn't 'get' him read his 2 books. You cant put them down, hes so funny but you get to understand where he's coming from. His intelligence is all self taught, I really find him fascinating. He came from a really bad upbringing bad schools, then onto drugs, then a sex addict to making Hollywood movies. He's so honest in them.

Get tickets luv! He will be great.

If anyone here doesn't 'get' him read his 2 books. You cant put them down, hes so funny but you get to understand where he's coming from. His intelligence is all self taught, I really find him fascinating. He came from a really bad upbringing bad schools, then onto drugs, then a sex addict to making Hollywood movies. He's so honest in them.

I just bought them, but shit, I checked an hour ago and the closest to stage available was on row 9. I didn't buy them as I was convincing some friends, now I just went again to buy them and the closest was row 13. They are selling super fast. At least I got in!

I just watched this interview of him and I can say I'm obsessed with his mind, I am seriously thinking of stalking him in the airport and his hotel cus now I really really want a picture with him. :zombie:

That would be very interesting. How many people will get on board with that? Would it be beneficial in the long run or would it affect people negatively? Single people can take risks but people who have children depended on them for food and shelter will probably be too afraid to not go to work. I do believe that people need to learn more about being more self sufficient so they would not have to rely on a work that cares little for them. On a cultural level I dream of people suddenly not buying tabloids that tell lies about people's lives. I have a problem with journalists who drag people who are going through real problems just to sell their stories. Would love if no one read their stuff but a lot of people don't think its the big deal I think it is. So how do you get everyone on board if they don't think there is a problem? I ask them how would they feel if someone dragged their name in the mud if they were going through a painful divorce or they were having an emotional breakdown? I would keep asking them until I could find some empathy.

I do lean more towards what Russell is saying in that drastic change needs to happen like you said non compliance in matters that I oppose but how can I inspire others to want to join me in that non compliance?

Yes non-compliance might be hard, but war and violence would be much harder, at least there's no bloodshed and unnecessary suffering with non-compliance. Yes losing your job would suck, but being abused all your life by a system that does not represent you would be worse.

How will we all achieve it and what can you do? Wake people up. Just by having this video and these type of discussions a couple of people might wake up. I am with Russell, I believe the awakening is happening, and is happening globally. It is only a matter of time now, I only hope it's sooner than later.

Look, I don't believe in passive resistance as a solution to change the world. I think there needs to be leaders and people who organise and control the way the majority live. What we DO NEED is to SPEAK OUR MINDS and EXPRESS OUR CONCERNS. We need to SHINE LIGHT ON SUBJECTS THAT WE FEEL MATTER. We need to ACT WITH COMPASSION, INTELLIGENCE AND RESPECT FOR OURSELVES.

Look, I don't believe in passive resistance as a solution to change the world. I think there needs to be leaders and people who organise and control the way the majority live. What we DO NEED is to SPEAK OUR MINDS and EXPRESS OUR CONCERNS. We need to SHINE LIGHT ON SUBJECTS THAT WE FEEL MATTER. We need to ACT WITH COMPASSION, INTELLIGENCE AND RESPECT FOR OURSELVES.

Umm that's what we are doing in this thread.

Ehrga.gif

No you are talking about passive resistance in the form of disassociation and inaction. Something which could potentially be dangerous. Are you suggesting that doctors and nurses should all just sit at home one day?

No you are talking about passive resistance in the form of disassociation and inaction. Something which could potentially be dangerous. Are you suggesting that doctors and nurses should all just sit at home one day?

Im offering a solution and I'm always open to better solutions. Got one?

Oh babe he will meet you for sure, tweet him. (or his mum). He also did a course of performing weddings in different countries for gay couples and marries people in his shows.

She was criticised in the past for not registering to vote herself.

I wasn't talking about Madonna from 1990.

I was talking about the Madonna of the new millennium.

I wasn't talking about Madonna from 1990.

I was talking about the Madonna of the new millennium.

Again, I love Madonna but she was also the woman supporting Clinton and Obama.

I mean, how much positive change did those two bring?

Democrats, republicans, it's all the same. It's not about voting, the whole system's rotten and needs the boot. We need a paradigm shift, a completely new system.

Oh babe he will meet you for sure, tweet him. (or his mum). He also did a course of performing weddings in different countries for gay couples and marries people in his shows.

His mum is @Mummyrusty on twitter. My niece and Nephew have both met him and got photos. Im a bit too shy to meet famous people unless its by accident, but im sure she will sort you out. (She's called Babs) xxx

I wasn't talking about Madonna from 1990. I was talking about the Madonna of the new millennium.

Did you actually listen to what she says in the video? Let me paraphrase for you.

Why aren't you registered to vote?

The way I see it, it's not about voting for this person or voting for this cause.

More than voting you should act with good intention and positive action. You should take control. Voting is just a part of that.

I always thought of myself as waking people up. It's not enough to just wake people up. I need to give them direction.

Feeling like any government will look after you is naive. Nobody should ever rely on their singular vote being enough to guarantee that the life they want will be supplied to them.

She's saying pretty much the opposite of what you seem to think. Sorry. You should have showed the MDNA videos of her asking for people to vote for Obama. Then I would have said to you that she's supporting the lesser of two evils. Then I would say that she wants young people to have a voice but one vote is not enough to change America. Change comes from the PEOPLE.

Im offering a solution and I'm always open to better solutions. Got one?

Yes. Support causes you think matter ACTIVELY. If you're an artist then use art to bring attention to those causes. If you're an intellect use your brain to do it. If you're neither then just use your will to do it. Sitting at home in order to bring everything to a stand still is NOT productive. The internet you're using would cease to exist. So would your power sources. Your supermarkets would be empty. What are you gonna do? Live on a farm until everybody goes back to work and just hope that you don't freeze to death? It's a spoiled brat ideology. Just like the protestors outside saint Paul's cathedral who were eating McDonalds and drinking Starbucks while complaining about capitalism. You can't have it both ways. Still, we can make positive action happen in the world. Each positive thing you do will strengthen the positive action in the world. I'm not having a go at you but rather the illogical and fantastical ideology that you have adopted so please don't feel like I'm attacking you. :-)

By the way thanks Skin because now I'm in a total IGTTYAS spiritual mood. I would love to watch a video of imagery edited with music and Madonna just discussing spirituality. I absolutely love those edits in the film. Hypnotica. :wow:

Shit. Now I am forced to actively like Russell Brand. On a scale of Awareness Ribbon to Bono, he scores pretty well in communicating to a large audience that "It's the Economy, Stupid."

Whereas most celebrity thinkers tend to just talk vaguely about "Ending the Hurt", he is at least engaged with a materialist approach and it looks like he has probably read the same volume of Keynes as me. Which is not much. But hey, look. The guy is not a "genius", he is just a well-known person of moderate comic talent and above-average intelligence who tends toward some left-centrist economic views and it is just good seeing someone famous and peppy talk about changing market economies instead of vague rainbow nonsense.

Adding to this - and I was criticised in the Secret project thread for this - I think for the last few years madonna falls into the vague rainbow category.

Once I see Madonna standing for an economic base for prosperity for the gypsies she claims to support, progressive tax systems that benefit the middle class more than the bosses from extraction industries, tractable welfare programs that aren't cycles, but genuine support, then she can do her fucking art for freedom.

I understand and appreciate the sentiment of the SP, but unless pop stars are campaigning for material, tangible change rather than "please love yourselves and stop fighting! Defend Paris for $110!" they are merely promoting symbolic change, as opposed to Russell's call for material change.

Yes I'm a fucking Marxist.

I don't see the secret project has "symbolic change" at all...I see it as an artistic expression, a manifesto, that is about inspiring a change in consciousness - what do you believe, why do you believe it, where does it come from, has it done anything for you or the world to move it all forward...or backward. It's about inspiring people to start with themselves first, to inspire us all to wake the fuck up, and think for ourselves. Only then can that "material change" really happen anyway.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Madonna actually does support some of those things listed above...even if she doesn't talk about the specifics....as the SP is the springboard to provide the platform to then get to those specifics (as there are many and they are varied). I think she wanted something broad enough that would reach as many people as possible. The platform is then there for us to talk about the specifics.

As for Russell, I like the guy...but I do NOT agree with his 'don't vote' mentality. I think that is incredibly dangerous...and far too often gets the wrong people into office (because the other 'side' IS going to vote). I can't stress how important voting is. It may not be perfect...but it's still one of the greatest tools we have...and one many are still dying (literally) to have.

Yes, the system is broken...but this "both sides are the same" bullshit is not true (at least here in the US). False equivalency 101.

I think the idea of trying to break the system and start from scratch is nice, but ultimately idealistic and it most likely will never happen. The only real option is to work within it and revolutionize it from the inside it. Which means cleaning house, ridding ourselves of ideologues, the anti-government brigade, the secret powers (both corporate and religious) that have hijacked us and ultimately get back to the roots of democracy that actually do work when run properly by educating people on how government actually does work.

As for Russell, you should youtube the clip of him on a talk show bringing out two members of the Westboro baptist church...and his dialogue with them. Pretty amazing...and amusing.

I do have to say, I am a bit peeved that his talk of "revolution" is going viral...when Madonna was clearly stating the same (in her own way)...and all the press could talk about was her and Sean Pean. Kind of rubs me the wrong way.

I don't see the secret project has "symbolic change" at all...I see it as an artistic expression, a manifesto, that is about inspiring a change in consciousness - what do you believe, why do you believe it, where does it come from, has it done anything for you or the world to move it all forward...or backward. It's about inspiring people to start with themselves first, to inspire us all to wake the fuck up, and think for ourselves. Only then can that "material change" really happen anyway.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Madonna actually does support some of those things listed above...even if she doesn't talk about the specifics....as the SP is the springboard to provide the platform to then get to those specifics (as there are many and they are varied). I think she wanted something broad enough that would reach as many people as possible. The platform is then there for us to talk about the specifics.

I agree for the most part. I like how it started, where she had this empty studio space and all her dancers and costumes and cameras and said "I'm feeling inspired, let's do SOMETHING". That would have been pretty exciting for her.

As for Russell, I like the guy...but I do NOT agree with his 'don't vote' mentality. I think that is incredibly dangerous...and far too often gets the wrong people into office (because the other 'side' IS going to vote). I can't stress how important voting is. It may not be perfect...but it's still one of the greatest tools we have...and one many are still dying (literally) to have.

Yes, the system is broken...but this "both sides are the same" bullshit is not true (at least here in the US). False equivalency 101.

I think the idea of trying to break the system and start from scratch is nice, but ultimately idealistic and it most likely will never happen. The only real option is to work within it and revolutionize it from the inside it. Which means cleaning house, ridding ourselves of ideologues, the anti-government brigade, the secret powers (both corporate and religious) that have hijacked us and ultimately get back to the roots of democracy that actually do work when run properly by educating people on how government actually does work.

As for Russell, you should youtube the clip of him on a talk show bringing out two members of the Westboro baptist church...and his dialogue with them. Pretty amazing...and amusing.

But you're clearly part of the credulous majority who Brand is talking about, who is taken in by the pantomime tactics of the ruling class. What is becoming clear to everyone is that both sides are the same, that despite differences in presentation and tactics, the same financial elite enriches itself and disenfranchises and impoverishes everyone else. We can get incensed about whether gay people get officially married or not (which wasn't even on anyone's agenda even 5 years ago -so why is it suddenly turning people against each other?), and this process continues in the background unhindered.

What is dangerous is the 'cleaning house' (yuck) agenda that you have clearly bought into. How exactly do you plan on 'getting rid' of the 'anti government' brigade? I'm not sure that mass murder of people you don't agree with, and 're-education' for the rest is really a revolution is it? In fact it's precisely what the elite wants.

Yes. Support causes you think matter ACTIVELY. If you're an artist then use art to bring attention to those causes. If you're an intellect use your brain to do it. If you're neither then just use your will to do it. Sitting at home in order to bring everything to a stand still is NOT productive. The internet you're using would cease to exist. So would your power sources. Your supermarkets would be empty. What are you gonna do? Live on a farm until everybody goes back to work and just hope that you don't freeze to death? It's a spoiled brat ideology. Just like the protestors outside saint Paul's cathedral who were eating McDonalds and drinking Starbucks while complaining about capitalism. You can't have it both ways. Still, we can make positive action happen in the world. Each positive thing you do will strengthen the positive action in the world. I'm not having a go at you but rather the illogical and fantastical ideology that you have adopted so please don't feel like I'm attacking you. :-)

I don't feel you are attacking me, still I don't see anything solid in your proposal that makes me think that it could realistically bring about change.

You mention non-compliance is a ''spoiled brat ideology, well I'm not sure Gandhi was a spoiled brat or the dozen other leaders and nations that have used civil disobedience as an effective tool to bring about change against opression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_disobedience

But you're clearly part of the credulous majority who Brand is talking about, who is taken in by the pantomime tactics of the ruling class. What is becoming clear to everyone is that both sides are the same, that despite differences in presentation and tactics, the same financial elite enriches itself and disenfranchises and impoverishes everyone else. We can get incensed about whether gay people get officially married or not (which wasn't even on anyone's agenda even 5 years ago -so why is it suddenly turning people against each other?), and this process continues in the background unhindered.

What is dangerous is the 'cleaning house' (yuck) agenda that you have clearly bought into. How exactly do you plan on 'getting rid' of the 'anti government' brigade? I'm not sure that mass murder of people you don't agree with, and 're-education' for the rest is really a revolution is it? In fact it's precisely what the elite wants.

I shouldn't even dignify this with a response.

I want NOTHING to do with murder, or brainwashing bullshit you somehow accuse me of. You obviously did not read a goddamn thing I actually posted. And I'm not going to bother trying to explain it to you even further because I think what I stated is pretty damn clear.

You are so blinded by your conspiracy theories and ideologies that I actually have serious concern for you. You need help sweetheart.

I shouldn't even dignify this with a response.

I want NOTHING to do with murder, or brainwashing bullshit you somehow accuse me of. You obviously did not read a goddamn thing I actually posted. And I'm not going to bother trying to explain it to you even further because I think what I stated is pretty damn clear.

You are so blinded by your conspiracy theories and ideologies that I actually have serious concern for you. You need help sweetheart.

No, you shouldn't have, because the utter lack of a credible counter-argument you posted was worth neither your time to write nor my time to read heart.

No, you shouldn't have, because the utter lack of a credible counter-argument you posted was worth neither your time to write nor my time to read heart.

Why should I debate pages and pages with a conspiracy theorist? Like I said, what I wrote was clear. You are seeing whatever you want to see.

People must vote. The sick and the poor and the citizens that are being taken advantage of must have representation. And, they do have representation with good people like Senator Elizabeth Warren.

It's really easy for someone like Russell Brand to tell people not to vote. He's got money if anything should go wrong for him. Most people do not. He's making a very dangerous statement.