Haters and HUNG UP.

mad4mad2

well, for what i remember it was a great success on mtv and the best selling download song in its timeframe of release, but did decent on radio airplay....however the most played post-Music album song (except 4 minutes, but there's the timberlake effect there)

Hung Up's radio airplay in the U.S. was not huge but it managed to do OK considering what Madonna had stacked against her (radio at the time was heavily dominated by hip-hop/rap/r&b, radio programmers were turned off by her following A.L., her age, etc.). Hung Up got a lot of exposure elsewhere through the Motorola commercial, when it was featured on the 2 CSI shows (that season CSI was regularly watched by 25 million viewers, CSI NY watched by 15 million viewers), Warner Bros. advertised COADF/Hung Up in multiple TV commercials and billboards (for all the shit WB gets from fans, they did make a major effort to hype her releases), AND the fans voted the music video on TRL every afternoon for a couple months. Madonna went on TRL too.

Why do Haters keep saying that Hung up was a non-factor in the USA?

Because it wasn't as huge in the US as it was everywhere else.... it was like Kylie's CGYOOMH, huge everywhere and a nice sized hit in the US, no one would say it was a non-factor in the US though, they would say it's all she's known for.

Hung Up's airplay in the U.S. was not huge but it managed to do OK considering what Madonna had stacked against her (radio at the time was heavily dominated by hip-hop/rap/r&b, radio programmers were turned off by her since A.L., her age, etc.). Hung Up got a lot of exposure elsewhere through the Motorola commercial, when it was featured on the 2 CSI shows (that season CSI was regularly watched by 25 million viewers, CSI NY watched by 15 million viewers), Warner Bros. advertised COADF/Hung Up in multiple TV commercials and billboards (for all the shit WB gets from fans, they did make a major effort to hype her releases), AND the fans voted the music video on TRL every afternoon for a couple months. Madonna went on TRL too.

Yes I remember it was the #1 video on there a few times I think.

The Hung Up video was a major success at TRL. She was awarded by MTV. The video stayed at #1 for so long that they even had to retire it.

Its a pity that radio programmes refused to play it even though people requested it so much.

2003 to 2008 were the worst years for dance music in the US.

Top40 radio was dominated by RnB, Hip-Hop, Rap and Kelly Clarkson style rock/pop. HOT AC was very rock driven. So there was no space for Hung Up. It hit top20 on both formats though. Do not forget it was also no1 on the US i-tunes for like 15 days. CSI really helped. It hit no1 right after it was shown. The next single needs exposure on TV shows and commercials!

Here is my local HOT AC station. They actually put HU in power rotation right after Christmas of 2005. It was the no1 song the week between Christmas and New Year's Eve. But look at the other songs. Very rock/soft rock friendly. The difference between them is staggering. Today HOT AC is very open to pure pop.

1184_10151763072828282_588866940_n.jpg

Yeah, I recall the video being HUGE on MTV at the time, but on U.S. radio it wasn't played that much except in bigger cities. "Sorry" seemed to do decently well on MTV at first in the U.S., but didn't have the life "Hung Up". I prefer "Sorry" over "Hung Up", myself.

It didn't receive much AirPlay, or barely any. I don't recall ever hearing the song once in 2005. I did hear sorry a bunch of times in 2006

I always remembered when I had to wake up at 6am to get ready for high school, I would always turn on VH1 or MTV in hopes of seeing Madonna. VH1 would always air this 30 second news clip with M talking about the Saturday Night Fever influence

I heard it all the time on the radio.

And MTV and VH1 when they played videos for the first few hours in the morning and afternoon back in the day had it on all the time and not to mention it being huge on TRL.

The airwaves were ruled by rap during that period so the fact alone that Z100 (The 1st or 2nd biggest station in the country) eventually had to cave and add it to their playlist shows you there was demand for it.

I must of heard HU a couple times on the radio and it always sounded great. I actually thought the song would be a bigger hit in the US, but it was still top ten. No offense to my fellow Americans, but some parts of the country has very bad taste in music!!

I remember when the song and video came out I was on vacation in Mexico to visit family and it was the first era that I was able to experience. ^_^

Lucky you! I would have LOVED to experience that era. But i wasn't a fan at the time :(

Because it wasn't as huge in the US as it was everywhere else.... it was like Kylie's CGYOOMH, huge everywhere and a nice sized hit in the US, no one would say it was a non-factor in the US though, they would say it's all she's known for.

Kylie's song was MUCH bigger in the U.S. than HU. It was a huge pop radio hit.

Digital sales entered the Hot 100 mix in February 2005, and it was needed to shake up the chart.

"Hung Up" peaked at No. 42 on Hot 100 Airplay, and logged 11 weeks in the top 75 (same amount as Die Another Day; just didn't peak as high). Its sales of 1.2 million or so is quite strong considering its airplay peak.

RE "Can't Get You Out..."- it peaked at No. 3 at mainstream Top 40- not sure if I'd say that's HUGE (for her, absolutely), but one of the bigger hits of the year, for sure. It stayed on that chart for 26 weeks.

Had it been released in 2005, it would have flopped. Music changed DRAMATICALLY from 2001 to 2005

But it didn't sold more than Hung Up. So no it wasn't really a bigger hit, sales are the most important thing.

But it didn't sold more than Hung Up. So no it wasn't really a bigger hit, sales are the most important thing.

LOVE, COMPASSION, ENJOYMENT AND INSPIRATION ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS!!!

ENSLAVER!!!

Didn't mean to start a comparison war between HU and CGYOOMH. I love both songs.

Yes, if CGYOOMH had been released in 2005, it wouldn't have done so well on U.S. radio. I remember that song being one of the last big dance hits prior to the resurgence in 2008/09.

But digital sales took off significantly by 2005, so that's not a fair comparison either. I'm sure CGYOOMH would have sold much better at that time.

So I guess they would be about even had they been released at the same time. But they weren't.