Why do so many want madonna to sit down?

drunkbysix

It's something I really can't grasp my mind around. All of my friends feel as though madonna has had her time and should "pass the torch" to her fellow pop peers. That she's too old to be flashing her nipple and exposing her body. It's as if her age defines her to them, like its her time to hang it up? I don't understand. And this is youth talking cause I'm just 20...but it's not just them. Critics feel the same. Why? Why do they feel so THREATNED and disgusted by madonnas challenging of ageism? It baffles and upsets me. I wanna know your thoughts.

Yeah they have been saying that for years only now someone got the idea to work on her fans and potential fans to help the cause. Not that it matters. It just makes it now more annoying for her fans now bickering with eachother. Madonna is unaffected. Madonna doesn't let anyone dictate what she does. She does what she is interested in and says what she wants to say.

The Madonna hater is a peculiar one... they come in all shapes & sizes YET their reasons for disliking her are usually consistently invalid, biased, and just plain inaccurate. They're usually fueled by jealousy of some sort, Madge being the 'cultural mirror' reminding them of their own short-comings. There's also a growing population of M-haters that no NOTHING of her career and simply regurgitate what others have said about her. In short;

-She's a woman. Nothing intimidates a man (and OTHER WOMEN) more than a female in control, in command of her own destiny, second to NO ONE. Her ability to be SEXY AND POWERFUL challenge every gender role ever created.

-She's a champion of gays, and was so even when it was unpopular to be. And what's more threatening to family values than faggotry? Some simply dismiss her as having only a gay fanbase (but gays have taste,so is that really a bad thing)?

-She's a 'celebrity.' They claim she's an untalented opportunist, which is the most common (yet, most erroneous) insult hurled at her. Anyone with a brain of any kind can understand why she's lasted so long in the industry; SHE'S GOT IT.

-She's ALIVE. The fact that she, unlike her superstar peers, has avoided self destruction for so long enrages them even more. How dare she stay fit &healthy? How dare she balance a professional career & a private home life? How dare she remain current in pop culture 30 years later... They refuse to accept the fact that she's still doing it. She's still standing.

SHE'S HERE TO STAY

tumblr_mudwm5dtC21ql5yr7o1_500.gif

The Madonna hater is a peculiar one... they come in all shapes & sizes YET their reasons for disliking her are usually consistently invalid, biased, and just plain inaccurate. They're usually fueled by jealousy of some sort, Madge being the 'cultural mirror' reminding them of their own short-comings. There's also a growing population of M-haters that no NOTHING of her career and simply regurgitate what others have said about her. In short;

-She's a woman. Nothing intimidates a man (and OTHER WOMEN) more than a female in control, in command of her own destiny, second to NO ONE. Her ability to be SEXY AND POWERFUL challenge every gender role ever created.

-She's a champion of gays, and was so even when it was unpopular to be. And what's more threatening to family values than faggotry? Some simply dismiss her as having only a gay fanbase (but gays have taste,so is that really a bad thing)?

-She's a 'celebrity.' They claim she's an untalented opportunist, which is the most common (yet, most erroneous) insult hurled at her. Anyone with a brain of any kind can understand why she's lasted so long in the industry; SHE'S GOT IT.

-She's ALIVE. The fact that she, unlike her superstar peers, has avoided self destruction for so long enrages them even more. How dare she stay fit &healthy? How dare she balance a professional career & a private home life? How dare she remain current in pop culture 30 years later... They refuse to accept the fact that she's still doing it. She's still standing.

SHE'S HERE TO STAY

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Stop talking to Madonna non-believers. You'll end up confuse and start more threads like this.

Yassssss. Why do you care so much about what others think, db6?

SHE'S HERE TO STAY

A-fucking-men honey!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drunk by six, I do understand why you find the hatred so horrible. I have always felt exactly the same and would get so upset when reading the papers and magazines to see constant Madonna put-downs and hatred. Have been seeing it since 1984. Ditto with other Madonna forums. However, since I have been posting here, have noticed so many other great Madonna fans who don't worry what the haters, press and others think and have advised me to think the same way.

I am now FINALLY at that stage where I am doing that. I wish I had felt like that earlier. Let me tell you, it feels wonderful. So, from someone who knows exactly how you are feeling, let it go and just enjoy Madonna. Keep posting here and discussing Madonna with other wonderful fans. It makes being a Madonna fan so much more enjoyable. You can defend Madonna to others but don't let them make you feel angry. Seriously, they are not worth it.

It's the same reason they've always wanted her to sit down. She's not "normal". Back in her 20's and 30's she wasn't acting the way a woman "should" act, now she's not acting like an "old person" should act. She's never showed much weakness or failure nor has she asked for public sympathy. She's just not the norm and people have a hard time wrapping their heads around that.

It's funny, even the times when it seems the public should be on her side she gets hated on. She saves the life of a dying, orphaned child.....she's a kidnapper. She mentions her rape....she's desperate for attention. Things that other people do and get praised for, she'll do and get criticized for.

This has always upset me. Its like she HAS to retire. Bitch, please. Thats not a woman like any other. No one else can do what she does and be as good as her. Why should she hang it up so that we have second class versions when we can have HER?

Its tied to the ageism card. First time I read she is old, past her time, should retire was in 1992 so 22 years ago...

Top earning celeb of 2013

Why the hell should she retire again?

Haters need to just get over the fact that she is never going to stop and hang it up. Its not in her DNA. I just have to laugh at people that scream for her to retire, because true fans that know anything about Madonna know that its never going to happen. No matter how much they bitch and moan and scream and yell, Madonna is never going to stop. Sorry.

Its tied to the ageism card. First time I read she is old, past her time, should retire was in 1992 so 22 years ago...

I thought Madonna was considered "old" by the public once the much younger duo of Debbie Gibson and Tiffany hit the scene.

We see what happened to those two. :lol:

The path is littered with has-beens, and pop chicks that simply could never live up to or keep up with Madonna. The very people she was told to sit down and make room for. One by one they all always fall while Madonna doesn't let up at all. :laugh: Keep on chugging bitch.

^ Amen.

Plus, Madonna obviously loves most of what she does. I am sure she gets tired on the road and what not, but as long as she's happy, why should she stop? It's no different from anyone who is in a career they were meant to be in. If you love it, don't stop. Sweet jesus, why would you? So you can grow old and useless like all the unhappy people in the world? Let them have that sinking ship. Sail onward, M!

Because she's 55 and she makes more money than any other rock star, actor, film director or entertainment figure that may be. Whether they are in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s or whatever. Because whenever she goes on tour it becomes the #1 live music attraction of that year. Because she pocketed $60m from 4 consecutive fashion campaigns in an 18-month time span between the ages of 50 and 52

Because she was the most written about celebrity in the UK between 2000 and 2010

Because she makes even more money with side projects and business ventures

Because she is over 50 and she still cares about keeping healthy and fit

Because she didn't go bankrupt

Because she's strict with her children

Because she isn't a drug addict like half of Hollywood

Because she doesn't care what people think about a woman in her 50s sleeping with a guy in his 20s

And of course because on top of the wealth and success she has 4 beautiful children

Is this sufficient reason for the jaded ones to hate?

Unichrome_Madonna_EltonJohn.jpg

tumblr_ly3yyj1wMh1qb5kxr.gif

madonna-wins.jpg

You would think that after 30 years and 6 billion people that this planet could have found/ produced a female heir to the pop throne but alas, zilch.

I always thought Nelly Furtardo had the goods but luckily did not put my bets on that silly mole.

Guest bluejean

Anyone popular and successful is always going to have detractors. The fact that she's controversial and doesn't follow the status quo makes it 10 times worse. But the reasons people hate her are the same reasons people love her. The worst thing she could do is try to be liked by everyone by conforming.

Fact is.. our society is agiest. I find it interesting within this own Madonna community how a number of fans are able to give Madonna a pass because of her age, but virtually anyone else who is even older than thrity, doesn't. It seems pretty contradictory even among the fan base. Obviously, it's beyond age since anyone who is popular in pop music who is a claimed to be a threat to Madonna's legacy, tends to bring out the claws. So many fans defend Madonna and her age, and get pissed about how people say she's too old, when very same fans are just as guilty with doing the same for many younger artists. If it's not age, it's something even more ridiculous.

In the end, I don't care. Madonna isn't you're conventional pop star that we see today. Maybe she fit the bill in the 80's., but she keeps defying what constitutes as a pop star. People can tell her to shut up and retire already, but I think at this point no matter what anyone says, she's going to keep coming back with a vengence. There will always be a level of respect for her at this point, yet a lot of discourse or criticism no matter what she does.

Fact is.. our society is agiest. I find it interesting within this own Madonna community how a number of fans are able to give Madonna a pass because of her age, but virtually anyone else who is even older than thrity, doesn't. It seems pretty contradictory even among the fan base. Obviously, it's beyond age since anyone who is popular in pop music who is a claimed to be a threat to Madonna's legacy, tends to bring out the claws. So many fans defend Madonna and her age, and get pissed about how people say she's too old, when very same fans are just as guilty with doing the same for many younger artists. If it's not age, it's something even more ridiculous.

So criticising someone for their actions is equally as wrong as discriminating against someone because of their age?

So criticising someone for their actions is equally as wrong as discriminating against someone because of their age?

Not what I said at all. My point is that there are a lot of Madonna fans who have criticized other celebrities for being too old to be in the business when they are much younger than Madonna. It's just interesting that fans of Madonna give her a pass, while they are critical of other entertainers.

Guest Rachelle of London

Stop talking to Madonna non-believers. You'll end up confuse and start more threads like this.

Exactly!!!!!

Not what I said at all. My point is that there are a lot of Madonna fans who have criticized other celebrities for being too old to be in the business when they are much younger than Madonna. It's just interesting that fans of Madonna give her a pass, while they are critical of other entertainers.

Well forgive me but I am not aware of Madonna fans criticising younger celebrities or even older celebrities than Madonna for their age. I've seen different kinds of criticisms but from my observation they usually stem from behavior.

Well forgive me but I am not aware of Madonna fans criticising younger celebrities or even older celebrities than Madonna for their age. I've seen different kinds of criticisms but from my observation they usually stem from behavior.

The "Flop Princesses and Diva" forums full of those criticisms. Don't act like age doesn't play a part of some of those criticisms. I don't disagree "behavior" isn't cricized, but so is weight and many other are criticized. Even if behavior is a huge criticism of other entertainers, Madonna seems to get a pass for her extreme behavior when many others who have done similar are highly criticized and spun into some assumed exaggeration.

The "Flop Princesses and Diva" forums full of those criticisms. Don't act like age doesn't play a part of some of those criticisms. I don't disagree "behavior" isn't cricized, but so is weight and many other are criticized. Even if behavior is a huge criticism of other entertainers, Madonna seems to get a pass for her extreme behavior when many others who have done similar are highly criticized and spun into some assumed exaggeration.

Extreme behavior? Madonna is mostly criticised for what she doesn't do or do for. I don't criticise anyone's looks or age. Clothes don't count. I have a particular problem with people who wake up every morning wondering "what can I do today to stick it to someone?" Madonna's behavior the last 30 years has been "what can I do for my career? It didn't include plots to destroy someone else's career or reputation. In X-Static Process Madonna says "I'm just as good as you." Not better, just as

good. Some seem to have a huge problem with that and basically haven't been able to shake her self esteem like they've been able to do to other women. They are the ones that need to sit down.

Guest Not4Pussies

"That's the hardest thing I've had to grasp and accept, is that my surviving and my strength and the things that I've accomplished isn't inspirational to people, it's frightening. I think it's because so many people are so afraid to have a point of view, to strike out on their own, and to try and realize one of their dreams. And to see someone else doing it, we're living in an age, in a society now where that is looked at as a weakness, something to be ashamed of."
-M, 1994

"That's the hardest thing I've had to grasp and accept, is that my surviving and my strength and the things that I've accomplished isn't inspirational to people, it's frightening. I think it's because so many people are so afraid to have a point of view, to strike out on their own, and to try and realize one of their dreams. And to see someone else doing it, we're living in an age, in a society now where that is looked at as a weakness, something to be ashamed of."

-M, 1994

She's so intelligent, i'm so proud of being a fan.