Would Girl Gone Wild have charted in the US now?

johnnox

It's weird, because the song went from being weak to being good (after the MDNA performance) to being weak again. I have to admit that i find it very weak, but it's one of the catchiest songs that Madonna has released in many years, i still humm it in my head.

Yeah, Pumped Up Kicks was HUGE on US radio.

"All the other kids with the pumped up kicks you better run, better run, outrun my gun.
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks you better run, better run faster than my bullet."

Also, when the Colorado shooting happened, Titanium by David Guetta and Sia was huge. The song at some point even says "Firing at the ones who run".

Elaborate please.

from WIkipedia...

In the issue dated August 11, 2007, Billboard began incorporating weekly data from streaming media and on-demand services into the Hot 100. The first two major companies to provide their statistics to Nielsen BDS on a weekly basis were AOL Music and Yahoo! Music.[2] On March 24, 2012, Billboard premiered its On-Demand Songs chart, and its data was incorporated into the equation that compiles the Hot 100.[3] This was expanded to a broader Streaming Songs chart in January 2013, which ranks web radio streams from services such as Spotify and MySpace, as well as on-demand audio titles.[4]

In February 2013, U.S. views for a song on YouTube were added to the Hot 100 formula. "Harlem Shake" was the first song to reach number one after the changes were made.[5] The Hot 100 formula starting 2013 generally incorporates sales (35-45%), airplay (30-40%) and streaming (20-30%), and the precise percentage can change from week to week.[6]

All this talk of GGW has got me itching to dance the choreo! Hey-ey-ey--ey-ey-yaay-ey.

Also, I wonder how much of an effect the age of the fan community has on youtube counts. Aren't pre-teens more likely to watch a video over-and-over again, whereas a more "mature" fan will watch it once and be satisfied?

All this talk of GGW has got me itching to dance the choreo! Hey-ey-ey--ey-ey-yaay-ey.

Also, I wonder how much of an effect the age of the fan community has on youtube counts. Aren't pre-teens more likely to watch a video over-and-over again, whereas a more "mature" fan will watch it once and be satisfied?

It doesn't mean people are watching the videos. Many people use youtube just to listen music, they don't care if they will choose the original video or a clip with lyrics, they just want the song.

If you look at her single releases over the last thirty years, it stands out as one of the poorest songs she's ever released and so do several others from the last few years.

Yes, I think another artist could have taken it higher but that was one of the problems. It was Madonna trying to be something she's not in the eyes of the public - young! They'd have believed the wronged woman of Gang Bang or the disco diva of I'm Addicted but this was what people don't like about Madonna in one song.

totally agree. the public wants creative madonna that leads rather than follows.

I go back and forth when it comes to GGW. My initial reaction after listening to for the first time was that it was kinda generic. People say 4M was generic, but I always thought it was a perfect Madonna single. No question it fit on to what was on radio at the time, but the song sounded so big and grand that it worked. GGW on the other hand sounded very "thin and weak" to me when I first heard it. It could've been Rihanna, Ke$ha, Britney....any of them really. I appreciated it a little more after the video, but it was the tour performance that made me officially like it! After seeing it live and in the context of the show, suddenly it seemed like a "Madonna song". A few of my friends who are more casual fans actually love this song. Last year, I went with my cousin to the show and I asked her which of her more recent songs she was most looking forward to and she said GGW. My friend who was in the GT with me last year, actually bought MDNA after seeing the show live mainly because she liked GGW so much.

I don't think it would've done too much better if released now. Idk.....maybe creep into the 80's or 90's on the chart for a week or two. In my opinion, it is ageism that prevents her from getting airplay in the US. Although she had several hits in her 40's, her airplay increasingly dwindled no matter what she released......4M being the only time her airplay actually spiked. If you look at her big hits in the US since Music (DTM, DAD, HU, 4M), each of them fared worse than the other when it came to radio airplay. She's had many quality singles the past 13 years that have flopped, so the quality of her songs isn't the issue. I can agree that the singles from MDNA aren't the best songs on the album, but I don't think the best songs on the album would've been "hits" either.

I don't swallow that ageism thing. Madonna suffered more from r'n'b and hip hop in the 00s than ageism. She was number 1 in Europe and was nowhere in USA. When GMAYL was released, many people were waiting a Madonna song, but sadly it was a bad one. When she performed in the Super Bowl everyone was telling how great she is.

Of course she's not going to appeal to youngsters as much as Rihanna or Miley, but she's Madonna and imo MDNA was a wasted opportunity.

I don't swallow that ageism thing. Madonna suffered more from r'n'b and hip hop in the 00s than ageism. She was number 1 in Europe and was nowhere in USA. When GMAYL was released, many people were waiting a Madonna song, but sadly it was a bad one. When she performed in the Super Bowl everyone was telling how great she is.

Of course she's not going to appeal to youngsters as much as Rihanna or Miley, but she's Madonna and imo MDNA was a wasted opportunity.

this

I have a love-hate relationship with this song. I don't want to like it because it's unoriginal, the bass is flat and I hate her vocals. But then again it also ridiculously catchy, the video is fierce and the performance is amazing. So I woudn't want to erase it from her singles discography even though it flopped. It still remains the most memorable song from the whole MDNA era somehow.

But to answer the question: No, it would not chart in the US now because a) it's Madonna and b) she/her label do not promote shit to make singles successful.

I still think if it was the first single, performed at the Super Bowl with somewhat of the same performance from the tour, and if she released the video; I believe it would have gained a lot of attention. I think madonna wanted girl gone wild to be a persona of something she's not. She was pretending to be ok and happy, when reality was that she wasn't. Girl gone wild tells that story. She was still bitter and angry from the divorce but she wasnt fully ready to show the public that with could be singles gang bang and love spent. The fact is, all casual fans who listen to MDNA, all agree it's probably the best song on the album with love spent. Which I think should have been the second single. Everyone thinks that gmlyl was perfect for the Super Bowl, I disagree. What is a madonna first single with out pissing people off? A boring single. Would of loved to seen male dancer with high heels on for the Super Bowl. People would have talked for months about. After, the initial persona of girl gone wild was fulfilled, madonna should have released love spent, showing us that she is human and is upset. Perfect story elements for this album.

I still think if it was the first single, performed at the Super Bowl with somewhat of the same performance from the tour, and if she released the video; I believe it would have gained a lot of attention. I think madonna wanted girl gone wild to be a persona of something she's not. She was pretending to be ok and happy, when reality was that she wasn't. Girl gone wild tells that story. She was still bitter and angry from the divorce but she wasnt fully ready to show the public that with could be singles gang bang and love spent. The fact is, all casual fans who listen to MDNA, all agree it's probably the best song on the album with love spent. Which I think should have been the second single. Everyone thinks that gmlyl was perfect for the Super Bowl, I disagree. What is a madonna first single with out pissing people off? A boring single. Would of loved to seen male dancer with high heels on for the Super Bowl. People would have talked for months about. After, the initial persona of girl gone wild was fulfilled, madonna should have released love spent, showing us that she is human and is upset. Perfect story elements for this album.

I don't agree much. And this is imo MDNA's big problem: 2 universes that have nothing to do: chart generic songs with spiritual ones. Madonna's mistake was to mix Orbit with Solveig, thinking that the results would be as great as Music when she mixed Orbit with Mirwais. At the very end, it's a schizophonic album that makes little sense.

I know people want to see a story told in that album, but truth is that she was making one album and was "afraid" of being snubbed from charts and literally put there 3 singles that were aiming to be number ones: GMAYL, GGW and TUTR.

And that's all! If GMAYL had been a "bit" better (it's not that bad, it's simply either bad produced or something, it could have been really big i think) the trick would have been splendid! Madonna presenting a cheerleader song in the Super Bowl and later having great results without having to promote the song much because she was focusing in the tour.

How can you say that, when madonna herself said she was angry when she made this album. She might have listen to the wrong people on what songs to release and being consumed in promoting W.E. And sorry to disagree, but I don't think girl gone wild is a generic pop song that anyone can sing. It sounds actually how a madonna song should sound.

How can you say that, when madonna herself said she was angry when she made this album. She might have listen to the wrong people on what songs to release and being consumed in promoting W.E. And sorry to disagree, but I don't think girl gone wild is a generic pop song that anyone can sing. It sounds actually how a madonna song should sound.

GGW was Madonna following the crowd. It is not a personal song, fans analyze her stuff too much.

Celebration was her first DJ trash sound, with GGW she repeated that formula. I don't see GGW as Madonna song at all. Bad chorus, she has always made songs with good choruses.

Guest Pud Whacker

"Generic this, generic that...." It's starting to sound like a broken record in here.

GGW is a fun, frivolous little pop ditty. A phenomenal tour opener. And the video is one of her best. I fucking LOVE it.

End of story.

tumblr_mc279z18hS1rfvzkno1_500.gif

:clap:

Actually, you are agreeing with me. Madonna was angry making this album, yet we have GMAYL, GGW and TUTR as singles? This has to be the first time that Madonna has released something that she wasn't feeling. The rest of the album is about those feelings: Gang Bang, Love Spent, Falling Free... even I'm Addicted is about somebody who is unable to resist somebody that is like a drug: dangerous, addictive but harmful

Denying the ageism thing is like denying the sky is blue. The time will come when she will release an album that's both critically acclaimed and that her fans adore but she'll still struggle to get hit singles.....THEN people will get it. Again, the pattern since 2000 has been that each big hit she has, has gotten less radio airplay than the next. Music > DTM > DAD > HU.....then came 4M which broke the trend.....but it also had Justin on it so no doubt that helped.

She's 55 people, the hit parade has gotta slow down at some point. Also, people always make a point to say a chart position doesn't reflect song quality, yet some go on about how bad her single choices were and use chart positions (or lack thereof) to state their case. So which way is it?? If TUTR had been a worldwide number one, would we all be considering one of her best single choices ever??

^Then why was she BIGGER THAN LIFE in Confessions and still had loads of airplay for Celebration (even though the track was a bit weak?). Ageism??? Nope.

Or is it that there's only ageism in USA, precisely the country where music changed so much that she didn't have a place in radiostations