Would Girl Gone Wild have charted in the US now?

johnnox

Youtube video counts should have nothing to do with chart success. Since pop music has been turned into a spectator sport its too easily manipulated. Why should a song chart because fans have a video refresh itself over and over?

That's what I feel about any song. I do think it would have charted higher because of youtube counts.

I should make another thread. I wonder how many number ones or top ten hits Madonna would have had if youtube and itunes existed in the 80's. I had to really love a song to go to the mall and buy it and I only bought one copy

Never thought to buy 20. If someone told me then I must buy 20 copies of Like A Virgin to make Madonna chart higher I would have been like "what?"

GGW is generic, just like GMAYL and TUTR, so I thought they will be popular on the charts, except TUTR which doesn't have hit status at all.

There have already been similar generic dance songs like GGW, I think Madonna should have released something different.

I think Beautiful Killer could have been bigger hit, it sounds like a classic pop song.

The other song that could have been hit is I Don't Give A, the chorus is very catchy and everybody would like it.

Some Girls - It could have worked in Europe, a summer dance hit.

All these songs are better and aren't generic like the ones released as singles.

if someone else had sung it .. would have been worldwide number 1. fact.

EXACTLY. The song is generic but very catchy and radio-friendly, it flopped only because Madonna sang it. If it was done by Katy or Rihanna, it would have smashed easily.

But there is a pure sales chart published every week. Just look at that instead of that constantly tweaking Hot 100. Soon they'll be adding into the formula how many times a song is played in the supermarket and how many ringtone calls are made with a song. :callme:

maybe if she had promoted the song with the mdna tour performance on an award show or two, release the mdna tour dvd performance as a video, if she had gone on letterman, regis, ellen, leno and do some interviews......maybe, just maybe

If you look at her single releases over the last thirty years, it stands out as one of the poorest songs she's ever released and so do several others from the last few years.

Yes, I think another artist could have taken it higher but that was one of the problems. It was Madonna trying to be something she's not in the eyes of the public - young! They'd have believed the wronged woman of Gang Bang or the disco diva of I'm Addicted but this was what people don't like about Madonna in one song.

Usually she has released all the best songs as singles from every album, MDNA is the first album where the great songs have been ignored.

Gang Bang should have been the first single, because her almost every lead single represented different Madonna. Gang Bang is perfect for that. The video should have been directed by Tarantino.

Second single should have been Beautiful Killer. The video could have looked like Hollywood. Elegant Madonna and guns - as a connection to Gang Bang video.

I'm Addicted - the third single. Video similar to Express Yourself, only futuristic.

Some Girls - 4th single. In the video she could played killer who eliminates the girls who try to be like her. (The same concept could be used for She's Not Me)

I Don't Give A - 5th single

GMAYL - promo single, video

GGW - promo single. video

Some Girls - 4th single. In the video she could played a killer who eliminates the girls who try to be like her. (The same concept could be used for She's Not Me)

I like this idea ;)

It's very strange because I really like Girls Gone Wild because it's a Madonna song but in real terms the song was a dud and would have met the same fate even if someone like Rihanna had recorded it. Madonna can do so much better. To answer the question; it didn't fare too well in 2012 and I suspect it would tank even more in 2013.

Guest Rachelle of London

As much as I adore this song have any of you heard it played in a club....something about it falls flat, especially round the chorus bit. First time I heard it out was in this gay club and people were dancing during the 1st verse but by the chorus people went to the bar or started talking or stopped dancing altogether...

The chorus is the biggest problem of GGW. The lame lyrics, the production, melody, generic DJ sound...

The verses are decent and fun, but the chorus...

If Madonna has been worked more on the chorus, GGW still would have sounded generic, but it would have been be better.

Guest Rachelle of London

The chorus is the biggest problem of GGW. The lame lyrics, the production, melody, generic DJ sound...

The verses are decent and fun, but the chorus...

If Madonna has been worked more on the chorus, GGW still would have sounded generic, but it would have been be better.

Totally agree!!!

Saying that I do love the song.