Veronica Electronica - the greatest 'missed opportunity'?

Apples388

As Madonna herself mentioned, there was a plan for a remixed album called Veronica Electronica released as a 'goth' alter ego. How wonderful would that have been? Can you even imagine?

Obviously that didn't happen, hence she used the 'goth' persona for the "Power of Goodbye" promo era to great effect.

Do you think it would have been a great record? Or perhaps it was a good idea that it didn't happen as it may have cannibalised some of the Ray of Light sales and jeopardised its longevity? Or perhaps it would have just been lost.

I think it would have made a great companion - a little 'darker sister' to the positivity and enlightenment of Ray of Light. They could have released it as a stand-alone remix album (most likely) or perhaps as a repackaged 2-CD edition with ROL (unlikely.)

I suppose the first single from the project would have been a goth remix of "Power of Goodbye."

Interesting topic. I didn't know she planned a remix album. I knew that one of the original names for ROL album was Veronica Electronica.

I guess the remix album would have been even more experimental and darker. Maybe it wouldn't have been just a remix album, maybe it would have been an alternate version of ROL.

Guest Rachelle of London

She might still do Veronica Electronica....remember the look from the Purim party, that might be cool. If she doesnt it will be a missed opportunity for the fans but GP...maybe not

I was always interested in seeing what may have come out of this project. I think I recall a mention of there being new material being featured in there, or album leftovers. I think it would have been a cool little mini project, and it would have extended the length of the ROL project. I think it could have been good promo for NRM, or even The Grammys.

Guest Not4Pussies

wasn't she going to title ROL, Veronica Electronica?

it was nice to see her mention VE last year during one of the Twitter chats she had.

I always assumed it would be like a club remix of the album cuts, with some just including bits of the words. (Think of those useless remixes we get on the maxi-singles.) :/ I want an updated You Can Dance. Extended Album versions with little bits of extra production to spice them up a la "Everybody" on You Can Dance. :)

The remix album was based on the fact that she loved the original mix of "ROL" which was 12 mins long or something like that. I recall she speaking to Kurt Loder on the set of "Frozen" about doing such a project. I don't believe there was any intention to put new tracks on it, but who knows? I think she bailed once she started putting her sights on The Next Best Thing.

She mentioned in Q Magazine's year-end issue (1998) that the remix album was off due to a lack of time though I suspect a lot of the more experiemental remixes we got during that era were at one point intended for the album.

Those awful "The Power Of Good-Bye" mixes that never even saw a stateside release, one of the "Sky Fits Heaven" mixes, the "Skin" Collaboration mix... Talvin Singh's take on "Nothing Really Matters"... pretty sure that's the kind of thing we would have gotten.

The Next Best Thing was like a black hole in her career. If she hadn't embarked in that we might have had this remix album and the Ray Of Light Tour 99

I do hate that movie... She should have stopped acting after Evita

She might still do Veronica Electronica....remember the look from the Purim party, that might be cool. If she doesnt it will be a missed opportunity for the fans but GP...maybe not

yeah she could,........... I wish.

It depends on what would have been released. Some remixes from ROL era are good, but others are pure headache. I'm not a fan of remixes compillations, and Madonna's mixes are sometimes just too ibiza-drugs.

OK I might be wrong as always but Veronica Electronica was the name for ray of light while it was being made. This is the fist time ive heard about a remix album. Veronica Electronica IS ray of light.

Im going back a long time ago though and cant remember all the interviews.

Nope, as Suedy says, there was a plan to release a remix album. Just a question, was GHV2 the compillation that was released instead? Or is it Remixed and Revisited? I recall one thread here that explained all those things about contracts and compillations and all that.

I remember hearing about this project.It was first mentioned in a Billboard article/interview about Ray Of Light,if I'm not mistaken.Madonna mentioned that the "Ray Of Light" title track was originally 10 minutes long,but they cut it down for the album.It was believed that the full 10-minute version would appear on the Veronica Electronica remix album.I was eagerly awaiting this project in the summer of 1998,but it was cancelled.

I think it could have worked. I think it would have had to be a bit leftfield though in order to have its own identity - like Massive Attack's Dub version of the Protection album.

She would have needed to choose the remixers carefully though - remember the awful Luke Slater mixes :scared:.

Guest bluejean

Those Luke Slater remixes were terrible.

Fabien's Good God mix was good though. And some of the remixes of Nothing Really Matters were also superb. Actually, with the remixes we already have of Ray of Light a great remix album could be made as a bonus disc for a rerelease

She also talked about new songs, not only remixes, but she decided to work on a new album instead (Music)

November 18 1998: In a Swedish press conference, Madonna says that the Veronica Electronica remix album is no longer happening because she & William Orbit have other projects to focus on right now and she doesn’t want to go back into the studio and re-record this album. She does say that she will be “releasing a new album in a year or so.”

She also talked about new songs, not only remixes, but she decided to work on a new album instead (Music)

November 18 1998: In a Swedish press conference, Madonna says that the Veronica Electronica remix album is no longer happening because she & William Orbit have other projects to focus on right now and she doesn’t want to go back into the studio and re-record this album. She does say that she will be “releasing a new album in a year or so.”

That means: "I've met Mirwais and i'm tired of this henna thing"