The Secret Video

Chuck82

I find it interesting how this was the album she was supposed to stay away from sex and religous controversy, but she still kinda brought it (low key) with Bedtime Stories. Maybe the album didn't become her most successful, but it did fairly well, considering.

Love it! And her love interest in it is hot ! I've always thought that the "baptism" scene in the video when she gets water sprinkled on her face was symbolic of her washing away her Erotica/Sex sins.

Still one of my favorites.

Love it! And her love interest in it is hot ! I've always thought that the "baptism" scene in the video when she gets water sprinkled on her face was symbolic of her washing away her Erotica/Sex sins.

I'm reaching a bit but Bedtime Stories is a transitional record and its single and video releases seem to be where the seeds for her late-nineties rebirth were planted. "Secret" as the spiritual rebirth, "Take A Bow" with the Evita connection, "Bedtime Story" with the techno influence and "Human Nature" as the no-regrets send off to everything prior to entering the next stage of her life.

I always saw it as somekind of pregnancy ritual. Sunflowers do symbolize fertility/birth.

I'm reaching a bit but Bedtime Stories is a transitional record and its single and video releases seem to be where the seeds for her late-nineties rebirth were planted. "Secret" as the spiritual rebirth, "Take A Bow" with the Evita connection, "Bedtime Story" with the techno influence and "Human Nature" as the no-regrets send off to everything prior to entering the next stage of her life.

post of the year!

The other day someone commented that BS album seems to get lost in the shuffle, being sandwiched between two of the most Iconic and Influential eras its to be expected. I have to agree with you that its a transitional record, most of the wisdom shown in ROL was acquired during this era. I love this Video and has a very special place in my heart, I remember waiting to catch the secret video on MTV, as much as I love having access to anything 24/7 on the net there's nothing like the anticipation we experienced back then.

I watched this the other day and it's such a fantastic vdo/song. One of my all time faves.

The other day someone commented that BS album seems to get lost in the shuffle, being sandwiched between two of the most Iconic and Influential eras its to be expected. I have to agree with you that its a transitional record, most of the wisdom shown in ROL was acquired during this era. I love this Video and has a very special place in my heart, I remember waiting to catch the secret video on MTV, as much as I love having access to anything 24/7 on the net there's nothing like the anticipation we experienced back then.

And that wisdom (and vulnerability) was showing in quite a few of her BS era interviews.

Guest Rachelle of London

one of my faves....everyone knows BS is my favourite era! Everything was so perfect... I kind of like that it is an underrated era and gem, it just adds to it mystique

^ It may be underrated by critics and some fans, but it was extremely successful at the time. Had she chosen more radio-friendly singles after TAB, I'm sure it would have sold as much as Music, if not ROL.

^ It may be underrated by critics and some fans, but it was extremely successful at the time. Had she chosen more radio-friendly singles after TAB, I'm sure it would have sold as much as Music, if not ROL.

Have to agree. TAB was massive at least in the U.S. That song had a long life span on radio. So I guess releasing Bedtime Story as a single was an interesting choice to show her more experimental side. Any song after TAB, would have been overshadowed for the most part. Bedtime Story and Human Nature weren't really great for radio. Though, I remember MTV played the hell out of the Human Nature video.

It may be underrated by critics and some fans, but it was extremely successful at the time. Had she chosen more radio-friendly singles after TAB, I'm sure it would have sold as much as Music, if not ROL.

I don't think it is underrated by critics. It received good reviews.

Agree that it could have been more saccessful if more radio-friendly songs have been released as singles.

I am glad BS and HN are released as singles, they are great songs and BS is one of her works she has done. Radio-friendly songs shouldn't always be realesed as singles, I always think that the best songs must be singles, no matter are they radio-friendly or not.

She should do this more often. Imagine if she had released Future Lovers or Gang Bang as singles with great videos.

If she had released "Don't Stop" and "Forbitten Love" next, the album would have sold 6 million copies in the USA alone.

Those singles would have been Top 10 hits.

I don't think it is underrated by critics. It received good reviews.

Agree that it could have been more saccessful if more radio-friendly songs have been released as singles.

I am glad BS and HN are released as singles, they are great songs and BS is one of her works she has done. Radio-friendly songs shouldn't always be realesed as singles, I always think that the best songs must be singles, no matter are they radio-friendly or not.

She should do this more often. Imagine if she had released Future Lovers or Gang Bang as singles with great videos.

SIngles are released to appeal to the masses, not just the fans. People seem to forget this. Singles are chosen because they sound more mainstream and are hoping for radio airplay. This is why a lot of musicians early in their career stick to releasing singles that appeal to mainstream to build a fanbase unless their aiming for a certain genre or fan base that isn't as mainstream. Madonna has always wanted mainstream/commercial success. It's only once that musician has established a decent following, they start releasing more experimental songs. Still, most commercial musicians try to stick to more mainstream singles since they know their fans will most likely buy the album no matter what the singles are. Obviously that has been the case, since we seem to have a lot of fans who have a difference of opinions of what singles were good songs and what weren't. I highly doubt, Madonna would have released "Bedtime Story" if she didn't have a string of successful singles and a huge fan base to back her. "Future Lovers" and "Gang Bang" wouldn't have made good singles, especially the latter. A video for "Gang Bang" would have definitely brought more attention to the album, but unfortunately, it probably would have been negative since the video would have been quite violent and it seems from just all the criticisms she got for the performance on MDNA tour, prove that.

Back on Bedtime Stories, I agree with Vocalism that "Don't Stop" and "Forbidden Love" would have most likely been far more successful as singles since they were very mainstream, especially "Forbidden Love". In Amercian alone, any song at that time that was tied to Babyface was guaranteed success. "Forbidden Love" would have been a wise choice as the final single from BS before the ballad collection was released and it could have been tied into that release as well.

"Don't Stop" is a very simplistic pop song much in vein to her earlier songs like "Lucky Star", "Holiday" and "Into The Groove". Though, I am not saying the song is any where close to being memorable and/or iconic as those three I mentioned.

SIngles are released to appeal to the masses, not just the fans. People seem to forget this. Singles are chosen because they sound more mainstream and are hoping for radio airplay. This is why a lot of musicians early in their career stick to releasing singles that appeal to mainstream to build a fanbase unless their aiming for a certain genre or fan base that isn't as mainstream. Madonna has always wanted mainstream success. It's only once that musician has established a decent following, they start releasing more experimental songs. Still, most musician try to stick to mainstream singles since they know their fans will most likely buy the album no matter what the singles are. Obviously that has been the case, since we seem to have a lot of fans who have a difference of opinions of what singles were good songs and what weren't. I highly doubt, Madonna would have released "Bedtime Story" if she didn't have a string of successful singles and a huge fan base to back her. "Future Lovers" and "Gang Bang" wouldn't have made good singles, especially the latter. A video for "Gang Bang" would have definitely brought more attention to the album, but unfortunately, it probably would have been negative since the video would have been quite violent and it seems from just all the criticisms she got for the performance on MDNA tour, prove that.

I know that. But great songs deserve to be presented to public. I know that Gang Bang wouldn't have been a big hit, but at least it would show another and better side of MDNA.

At least she can release more catchy songs as first two singles, then some more experimental work as 3th single.

great video for a great song...

btw...don't stop as a single........ :dead:

Why not? It was quite catchy and as dollhouse mentioned, radio stations were already hopping on board in playing it even when it wasn't a single. Is it a career defining and memorable song, not a chance. Bedtime Story was a great choice to show Madonna's versatility in music at the time, even though it wasn't a big hit for her.

Why not? It was quite catchy and as dollhouse mentioned, radio stations were already hopping on board in playing it even when it wasn't a single. Is it a career defining and memorable song, not a chance. Bedtime Story was a great choice to show Madonna's versatility in music at the time, even though it wasn't a big hit for her.

Sing la di da di.... :|

I'm sure today's Madonna would definitely choose Don't Stop as a single if BS was just released :angry:

Secret is so lush and full of contrasting vibes! How come she's never worked with this director ever again? And also, who is Melodie McDaniel, what else has she/he done? Anyone knows?