It's hard to imagine...

ryan

Before the album was even out she was prepping for her role as Breathless Mahoney, first dabbling with a blonde streak through the front of her hair. The Pepsi commercial was filmed with this look and Vogue magazine removed it from a cover photo via airbrushing...

1989HAIR02a.png1989HAIR02.png

It's interesting to note Madonna's influence in the 90's, at least in Latin America in my experience.

Thalia (Tommy Mottola's wife) basically made a career out of copying Madonna's blonde streak at the time.

84E1EC648B7D2CC465F16D1871D.jpg

5127901492_1bb376f184_z.jpg

Can you post the airbrushed Vogue cover that you mention? Did they airbrush the blonde streak out?

Ah ah ah that's my thumb right there :)

I posted these on drownedmadonna in 2005. The la isla bonita costumes were inspired by mexican dia de los muertos with skeletor rib cages clothes from his current collection at the time. Then she decided to switch La isla bonita for Holiday hence why Holiday is the only costume not made by Gaultier but by Marlene Stewart.

The blond streak Madonna has in the Pepsi commercial is due to screen tests for Dick tracy. *She wanted to to tour as brunette with her bob for blond ambition tour first then changed her mind because it was supposed to promote dick tracy. Jean Paul Gaultier then had all the final costumes sketched by his longtime sketcher Thierry Perez. It's only at the premiere of Blond ambition in Japan that he discovered the ponytail (which he was not very fond of but it seems like he changed his mind through time since it appeared on his recent collections) (*from Jean-Paul Gaultier Blond ambition diary in french Glamour 1990)

I knew La Isla was considered, and I remember there being a Gaultier sketch with brown hair, and I couldn't locate a scan anywhere. But I eventually found it on Pud's blog, which is where I lifted the images from and the bulk of the text. It's interesting, how these sketches have been available to us for about 23 years now, yet they aren't very well known.

It's interesting how you mention that she wanted to tour with the brunette bob, but I can't imagine her doing it if the tour was going to be titled "Blond Ambition," unless it was going to be something else.

Thanks for the scans and info.

Here's Pud's original blog post: http://madonnascrapbook.blogspot.com/2010/04/gaultier-sketches-continued.html

And thank you Mattress for the Hair History. And I agree with others, you should do this for other albums, or for every year. There use to be a fansite that had a career photo guide, a calendar that had a photo for every day in M's history. It was very useful when it came to questions like these, shame it's not around anymore. RIP fansite databases. ;(

I would have loved to see the blonde streak on this photo

Here is the photo before and after Vogue's reworking. They also tanned her up, removed most of her body from the shot and changed the strap on her swimsuit:

voguebeforeafter_zps827d4983.png

I always thought we should do a 'hair history' thread. I think it would make a fascinating timeline of her metamorphosis it would also provide an interesting contrast to her video releases. As I said in another thread, it's wierd to think of her in one era when she's already recording another era.

Rugbyguy mentioned her bleaching her hair and it falling out. That was a really common story in the late 80s like for the WTG tour. It was one of the recycled stories that was in the press time after time but there was never any evidence.

Here is the photo before and after Vogue's reworking. They also tanned her up, removed most of her body from the shot and changed the strap on her swimsuit:

wow! Mattress!!! I keep gushing over you but I am truly in awe of your Madonna knowledge. You ARE Encyclopedia Madonnica :)

I remember someone coming forward and revealing that the only reason she ditched the ponytail was because it was pulling her hair out by the follicle. I just don't believe it. As a mere male, a gay one at that I don't know very much about these things but surely heat styling that hair into pin curls night after night would be far more detrimental to overly bleached and processed hair than a ponytail that was styled pretty simply with a comb and some gel as seen in Truth or Dare. Someone enlighten me.

And Re; the 1993 MTV interview wasn't she referring to her hair falling out that year after she went from blonde to strawberry blinde/red and then blonde again hence just cutting it all off for the tour???

She's a bad girl with her hair. After those two debacles remember in 1994 when she went jet black then blonde again and showed up on Letterman in 1995 with her hair looking like shit and all dryed up once again from over bleaching hence the change of image for Something to Remember and wearing hair pieces and buns for what felt like an eternity whilst she grew it out for Evita and got it back to healthy.

I don't think her hair looked like shit on Letterman in 95 from over bleaching, it just wasn't styled. She wore that same outfit on Wettan Dass, and the hair looked even better, but that was due to the extensions she had in.

It's all in the Pepsi advertisements, they were going to sponsor a 1989 tour. (BA would later be sponsored by Pioneer)

If Pepsi didn't pull the commercial and cancel the deal, Madonna wouldn't have taken on the role of Breathless Mahoney in Dick Tracy, and there wouldn't have been a need to dye her hair.

And if she wouldn't have taken the role of Breathless Mahoney we would have never gotten "Vogue" :ohmy::scared:

Edited by LeooAyala

And if she wouldn't have taken the role of Breathless Mahoney we would have never gotten "Vogue" :ohmy::scared:

No, we would have! "Vogue" was recorded to help the Like A Prayer project! After a consecutive string of 16 top 5 singles from "Lucky Star" to "Cherish", "Oh Father" stalled at a then disappointing #20. To make sure the next US single "Keep It Together" did better, while remixing a more contemporary KIT arrangement they also recorded "Vogue" which was intended to be it's club-friendly b-side.

As legend goes, executives at Madonna's label heard the track and determined that it was too strong to be thrown away as a sales incentive, non-album obscurity and let KIT fend for itself (achieving an impressive #8 position on its own without the aide of a music video) and "Vogue" of course became a revered, career-defining, #1 single all on its own. The video version was tacked onto the end of I'm Breathless but otherwise orginally had nothing to do with the film Dick Tracy.

:wow:

That's something new to me.

Why did she choose to that swimsuit in the first place? :confused:

No, we would have! "Vogue" was recorded to help the Like A Prayer project! After a consecutive string of 16 top 5 singles from "Lucky Star" to "Cherish", "Oh Father" stalled at a then disappointing #20. To make sure the next US single "Keep It Together" did better, while remixing a more contemporary KIT arrangement they also recorded "Vogue" which was intended to be it's club-friendly b-side.

As legend goes, executives at Madonna's label heard the track and determined that it was too strong to be thrown away as a sales incentive, non-album obscurity and let KIT fend for itself (achieving an impressive #8 position on its own without the aide of a music video) and "Vogue" of course became a revered, career-defining, #1 single all on its own. The video version was tacked onto the end of I'm Breathless but otherwise orginally had nothing to do with the film Dick Tracy.

And it was David Fincher who was responsible for breaking her string of top 5 hits:

I had kinda talked Madonna into releasing "Oh Father" as a single and we did this video and we were very happy with the video and nobody ever saw it because the song wasn't a hit so she came back to me and said, "You screwed me up. You wanted to make this video for the song and no one liked the song and I went to bat for you and now I have to make a video by Tuesday." And I said, "What's the song called?" And she said, "'Vogue'." And I said, "Okay, we'll get a bunch of stuff together and we'll make a video on Tuesday."

It was one of those things where the DP, Pascal Lebegue, who's brilliant, literally showed up off the plane with his light meter and it was semi-pre-lit and he walked in and said, "This, this, this, this," and we shot the video for like 16 hours and we were done, that was it, she got on the plane and went on her world tour. We cut this thing together as quickly as we could.

...And to imagine that such an iconic video was thrown together in a day.

The best things in Madonna's career seem to be done really quick!!!! Oh, this thread about his hair is one of the most interesting i've read here, i'm learning loads of things.

By they way, IMO 'Oh Father' is her best video. It's simply a short film, so beautifully done! And if that meant that she had to release the wonderful Vogue, then i think we should thank DAVID FINCHER for ever and ever and ever and ever!!!!!

By they way, IMO 'Oh Father' is her best video. It's simply a short film, so beautifully done! And if that meant that she had to release the wonderful Vogue, then i think we should thank DAVID FINCHER for ever and ever and ever and ever!!!!!

I agree

I read somewhere that she wrote Vogue during the making of Dick Tracy. I think Warren Beatty told her to write song about Hollywood actors and actresses, because she admired them a lot.

Edited by mangapop

I wrote somewhere that she wrote Vogue during the making of Dick Tracy. I think Warren Beatty told her to write song about Hollywood actors and actresses, because she admired them a lot.

The only part of Vogue that references actors is the rap, which Shep claims in an interview somewhere that she wrote on a redeye flight to New York to record the song of a weekend.

• 2 years later...

I know this topic is 2 years old now, but this topic http://forums.madonnanation.com/index.php?showtopic=50987 has been posted, and I feel this thread needs a good bump with all the good information in it. It answers a few questions this other thread has. I really love this era, because this is when I started getting more and more interested in Madonna. Her hair changing is what kept me curious and attracted. I hope a hair timeline does come out of all of this, since I am obsessed with it so much :-D