Patrick Leonard Speaks ..and he misses Madonna!

Alessandro

what????

That little diddy she sang for Parkinson in 2005 "Tell The Truth" perhaps. Otherwise, he is correct, there are no solo writing credits for any of her officially released material.

It seems to me if she assists in writing melodies than she is involved in writing the music as well as the lyrics. I love her stuff with Pat but I think he's a little narrow minded about styles of music. It seems like he dismisses anything that involves electronic music, dance or dj's. Not all electronic music is bad and uncreative, it can be artistic just as much as music with "real instruments'. But the fact is Madonna does love dance and electronic stuff even though Pat may not. So I don't know if she's losing herself in Dj music, as much as exploring it because that's what she loves from her very first record. I think it would be great if she could find a producer who isn't just a dj and plays instruments, but also has an appreciation for dance and electronic music and doesn't think it's a lesser art form.

I'm sure Madonna has at least one hit album left in her, if not more. And I think she'll work with Patrick Leonard again eventually. To be honest, MDNA is not my thing and Madonna can do so much better, but I have faith that she will at some point.

That little diddy she sang for Parkinson in 2005 "Tell The Truth" perhaps. Otherwise, he is correct, there are no solo writing credits for any of her officially released material.

She gets sole writing credit for "The Funny Song" on the Drowned World Tour - but apparently Monte wrote that one entirely himself.

Have you never heard the song Gambler?

As for the two working together, I'd love for them to work on another pop album, but it will never be close to what they did together back in the day. To me, it's like beating a dead horse, and I think the two probably have exhausted each other out for new ideas, but it's not impossible. I just don't believe anything do from this point on will be as well accepted or successful as their previous collabs.

Agreed. I've seen that so many times when older bands from the 80's and the 90's get back together. You think they will recapture the magic and get all excited about it, but somehow it never lives up to what you think it will be or is as good as the old stuff. There are many wonderful producers out there. No reason she couldn't find someone new and make a great record with them.

Better yet, Get Uncon... "Lucky Star."

But, that's here nor there- plenty of acts have co-writers- how funny that Friedman doesn't go on about how some others- think, Mimi Carey- don't have hits solely credited to them. :)

Better yet, Get Uncon... "Lucky Star."

But, that's here nor there- plenty of acts have co-writers- how funny that Friedman doesn't go on about how some others- think, Mimi Carey- don't have hits solely credited to them. :)

Is she officially credited as sole writer for Lucky Star and Gambler? If so, then that changes everything. Unless someone didn't want any credit, which I would highly doubt, she then composed both the melody and lyrics in order to be sole writer.

I left a couple of comments, asking why he obsesses over her when other acts have co-writing credits, and that she does have sole credit on a couple of singles. Will they be approved for posting? I think past ones I had done were not.

Is she officially credited as sole writer for Lucky Star and Gambler? If so, then that changes everything. Unless someone didn't want any credit, which I would highly doubt, she then composed both the melody and lyrics in order to be sole writer.

She is, yes. A lot of the songs she wrote with Bray she head a heavy involvement with. You can tell she's hands on.

Everybody, I know it, Think of Me, Lucky Star, Gambler

Guest Not4Pussies

remember what Rosie O'Donnell said when Madonna recorded This Used To Be My Playground???

anyhow, i do want her to write again with Leonard. he should have been back instead of Orbit for MDNA.

She is, yes. A lot of the songs she wrote with Bray she head a heavy involvement with. You can tell she's hands on.

I always thought that these were collaborative efforts as well. Well I am very proud to say that I was wrong! MOST of Madonna's musical career she has been the lyrist and co-composer of her work, which is still songwriting and does not negate her creative talent, but since she is credited solely for these aforementioned singles, than she is also a true blue solo songwriter and is even more highly deserving of her place in the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

:lol: Yes. How do you not know this? Pull out her first album CD right now. Lucky Star, Burning Up, I Know It, Think of Me, Everybody, Shoo Bee Doo, and Gambler. All written by Madonna and only Madonna.

remember what Rosie O'Donnell said when Madonna recorded This Used To Be My Playground???

anyhow, i do want her to write again with Leonard. he should have been back instead of Orbit for MDNA.

No, what did she said??

:lol: Yes. How do you not know this? Pull out her first album CD right now. Lucky Star, Burning Up, I Know It, Think of Me, Everybody, Shoo Bee Doo, and Gambler. All written by Madonna and only Madonna.

I know...total fan fail! The first two albums are not my favorites so I guess I just haven't paid much attention to the details. Obviously I own everything and I highly respect her entire catalogue, but my personal preference is everything from Like a Prayer - present.

I know...total fan fail! The first two albums are not my favorites so I guess I just haven't paid much attention to the details. Obviously I own everything and I highly respect her entire catalogue, but my personal preference is everything from Like a Prayer - present.

Same for me tbh. But i do love her first 3 albums, i just don't play them as often as the rest.

I'm with you on that too, but for me it's Erotica to present.

Why does this always become a big deal with Madonna? It's like someone is always trying to discredit her.

Most acts in the music business do NOT do everything themselves...they collaborate with those who are the 'real' writers, that create the actual music (chords, orchestration, etc.). Most of the 'artists' themselves that do get involved in the process often are just writing the lyrics, while some (like Madonna) go in and shape the melodies as well (which IS actually co-writing the music itself). Then there are those that don't really do much at all, but go in and change a lyric or two so they can get a writers credit (because everyone knows that's where the money is).

And then there are those that are notorious for paying out a certain amount (behind closed doors) to get a writers credit, or the full writers credit...while the truth is that they actually did absolutely nothing. It's one of the ugly little truths about the industry.

Most acts are not Prince where they are doing everything themselves...and to be honest, I find collaboration the best way to write music anyway. Often the best songs are made that way.

"Doing every little thing yourself" seems to be overrated, and placed on some pedestal by the industry.

Why does this always become a big deal with Madonna? It's like someone is always trying to discredit her.

Most acts in the music business do NOT do everything themselves...they collaborate with those who are the 'real' writers, that create the actual music (chords, orchestration, etc.). Most of the 'artists' themselves that do get involved in the process often are just writing the lyrics, while some (like Madonna) go in and shape the melodies as well (which IS actually co-writing the music itself). Then there are those that don't really do much at all, but go in and change a lyric or two so they can get a writers credit (because everyone knows that's where the money is).

And then there are those that are notorious for paying out a certain amount (behind closed doors) to get a writers credit, or the full writers credit...while the truth is that they actually did absolutely nothing. It's one of the ugly little truths about the industry.

Most acts are not Prince where they are doing everything themselves...and to be honest, I find collaboration the best way to write music anyway. Often the best songs are made that way.

"Doing every little thing yourself" seems to be overrated, and placed on some pedestal by the industry.

Totally agree with everything you said.

I read that even Madonna has changed a few lines for some songs just to get credit. I don't know is that truth.

"Doing every little thing yourself" seems to be overrated, and placed on some pedestal by the industry. - I don't think it is overrated. There are not so much people who do everything by themselves.

"Doing every little thing yourself" seems to be overrated, and placed on some pedestal by the industry. - I don't think it is overrated. There are not so much people who do everything by themselves.

To me, it absolutely IS overrated. Unless you are Prince...and even then, I think the man is genius, but he is often far too repetitive. I think parts of his body of work would be better if he did open himself up to more collaboration (of course, he'll never do that).

I've grown up around professional musicians and songwriters. I've seen a bit of the process. And from what I've taken from them, the best music really is often a true collaboration between two or more minds ... whether they be musicians, composers, lyricists, even sound engineers and mixers getting involved (as they truly shape the final form of the record that we then will all hear...their work is often misunderstood and far under-appreciated).

Look at your favorite records. Look at the majority of the most successful music of all time. More often than not it is a collaboration between, at the very least, two minds. "Doing it all yourself" may sound great considering not too many can do that...but that doesn't automatically make it great.

I think people tend to forget that writing credits are a dirty business. Look at the situation between Shep and Tony Shimkin. People will do anything to get their name on a writing credit. Frankie Lymon's record executive had falsely taken writing credits on all their songs, just so he could receive royalties.

To me, it absolutely IS overrated. Unless you are Prince...and even then, I think the man is genius, but he is often far too repetitive. I think parts of his body of work would be better if he did open himself up to more collaboration (of course, he'll never do that).

I've grown up around professional musicians and songwriters. I've seen a bit of the process. And from what I've taken from them, the best music really is often a true collaboration between two or more minds ... whether they be musicians, composers, lyricists, even sound engineers and mixers getting involved (as they truly shape the final form of the record that we then will all hear...their work is often misunderstood and far under-appreciated).

Look at your favorite records. Look at the majority of the most successful music of all time. More often than not it is a collaboration between, at the very least, two minds. "Doing it all yourself" may sound great considering not too many can do that...but that doesn't automatically make it great.

You are right it doesn't always make it great if one person does all, but even if more people are working together to create music doesn't mean the resul will be great. Making successful music doesn't mean making quality music.

KATE BUSH works alone and she always shows how great music genius she is.

Edited by mangapop