Nile Rodgers would love to work with Madonna again

realityisalways

He explained it better recently on a TV interview.

As he said, no one at Warner's believed she would be such a big star at the time but he believed in her and said if she sold 7 million records or something like that, he would get a certain financial deal for the next album. I think nobody at Warner's thought it would do so well so they agreed to his requests. Then it sold 20 million so he said he kind of priced himself out of the market for the next time. So, if she were to work with him, it would cost her a lot of money. However, as we can see, she tends to move on productionwise so I think it's more to do with her artistic frame of mind.

He explained it better recently on a TV interview.

As he said, no one at Warner's believed she would be such a big star at the time but he believed in her and said if she sold 7 million records or something like that, he would get a certain financial deal for the next album. I think nobody at Warner's thought it would do so well so they agreed to his requests. Then it sold 20 million so he said he kind of priced himself out of the market for the next time. So, if she were to work with him, it would cost her a lot of money. However, as we can see, she tends to move on productionwise so I think it's more to do with her artistic frame of mind.

That clears it up, thanks.

But seriously, holding on to a some deal from 1984?

3449kbp.gif

I mean I understand how he feels Madonna should honor it, but things aren't the same, records are not sold in the same numbers as they were in the 80's...

I think he's implying she had no name when they did LAV and that they invested in her hiring the 'best' producer (HIM) to give her a name. And that now that she has a name she probably pays producers less since they will benefit of working with her, but that he doesn't need that benefit (cus he's a legend in his own right) so he wants a great amount of $$$ to work again with her and that she will probably not agree to pay him that much. At least that's what I get from the last part where he says ' I never think of working with Madonna until someone (like the interviewer in this case) brings it up. (Implying that he doesn't NEED her, cus he feels like a legend himself).

Ah ok, makes sense. They're both rich. Why can't they just shut up and make music without paying thousands of dollars for one track? :) I know, never gonna happen but would be nice if some producers and musicians would just jam together because they like creating music and not because of money.

I personally prefer LAV over TB album wise, it all flows, whereas TB is a selection of songs......saying that I dont see any shade coming from Nile at all....he still gets on with M so whats the big deal, he's one of very few people in the spotlight that always have lovely things to say about her and LAV, hes a legend in his own right and he doesn't boast about producing LAV....most people haveno clue that LAV was a chic/Nile album. With all due respect to William Orbit, Patrick Leonard, Steve Bray, Mirwais etc everyone sees them and sees Madonna

I completely agree about LAV being a proper album. It flows so well and is just a luxurious listening experience from start to finish, the exciting Material Girl, the legendary title track, the energy, the bounciness, all up the drama of the final tracks. True Blue flops from one hit to another, but it never quite immerses (me, at least) to the same level as Like a Virgin.

But I think it's true what has been said about it being an age thing. Because LAV is SO thoroughly 80s (I'm loathe to say "dated", for it's negative connotations), and TB is all 'timeless' hits, LAV is alienating to a younger listener, while TB feels immediately relatable. It has taken me years to like LAV, and it's only been in the last six months or so, nearly 6 years into my M fandom, that I've fallen in love with it.

Obviously you are not able to make difference and similarity between her songs. Seems like Angel and Bedtime Story are on the same level to you.

It is.

:queenbitch:

"Angel" is a fantastic song. 80s pop perfection.

I agree.I really wish she would perform this song on tour.It's actually my favorite song on the LAV album.I like that little laugh she does at the beginning :)

Guest Rachelle of London

I agree.I really wish she would perform this song on tour.It's actually my favorite song on the LAV album.I like that little laugh she does at the beginning :)

Same!!!!!!! Its my fave from LAV too, just makes me smile...its just cheers you up instantly

Obviously you are not able to make difference and similarity between her songs. Seems like Angel and Bedtime Story are on the same level to you.

Mangapop, I know that you hate "catchy weak " songs as you call it. What you don't seem to understand is people have different tastes and can love all sorts of music at the same time. I love catchy pop music but also love classical music and a lot of alternative music. Why on earth do people have to explain their love for songs. It is not rocket science just pure love for music and yes all sorts of music. I love Angel, I love Live to Tell, I love Bedtime story and shock horror, I also love Turn up the radio. No body has to feel guilty about what they like. You have every right to dislike the songs you do but you have to also accept that if others do like them, it does not mean they can't make a difference between her music.

I imagine the album must look really lightweight and frothy for fans that came on board with Ray of Light and after!

At the time, it was considered a great pop album and the themes of LAV and MG actually really challenged society's perceptions of women which is why she was making healdines then. These songs seem disposable now but they really were making people sit up and think about things. There was a lot of change going on in society with women's lib, gay rights etc but life was still very traditional so Madonna's act was a real eye opener.

However, sales really benefitted from ITG and Crazy For You which were her biggest hits released during the LAV period but weren't on the album (excluding the re-release). The original version now, without ITG, seems slightly lacking in 'big' tracks but it's still one of my favourites. I prefer over True Blue too but that might be because I played TB to death! 'Stay' is still probably my favourite track on the album. Such a strong song.

Mangapop, I know that you hate "catchy weak " songs as you call it. What you don't seem to understand is people have different tastes and can love all sorts of music at the same time. I love catchy pop music but also love classical music and a lot of alternative music. Why on earth do people have to explain their love for songs. It is not rocket science just pure love for music and yes all sorts of music. I love Angel, I love Live to Tell, I love Bedtime story and shock horror, I also love Turn up the radio. No body has to feel guilty about what they like. You have every right to dislike the songs you do but you have to also accept that if others do like them, it does not mean they can't make a difference between her music.

You misunderstood me. I like Angel too, I like catchy songs. There is a lot of generic crap that I like, but I am aware that music isn't someting great.

I wish people are more objective when they are giving opinion about music.

It is OK if fans like Angel and other catchy songs, but I don't undrestand why they praise them and put on the same level with songs like LAP, EY or even BS or Secret Garden.

I said LAV is one of her weakest albums, which is true. Some fans wrote that it is classic pop album. They are right, but it is also weak album.

Edited by mangapop

Angel was bought by Warner to make another big hit, isn't it????

What i really LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE from that era is that Warner were "manufacturing" Madonna in a way, and she went and composed in 5 minutes Into The Groove, that is maybe her biggest hit from that era. I guess that's why Warner let her have her way with True Blue.

What i really LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE from that era is that Warner were "manufacturing" Madonna in a way, and she went and composed in 5 minutes Into The Groove, that is maybe her biggest hit from that era. I guess that's why Warner let her have her way with True Blue.

Madonna and Steve Bray wrote Angel. Another great example of Madonna's wonderful song-writing ability.

It's her biggest in the UK of all time! It's pop perfection!

I like Angel but it was released in the UK just after ITG was No.1, Holiday had climbed back to No.2 behind it and Crazy For You was still Top Twenty in the UK all in the same week. Unheard of! So, it really stands in the shadows of three massive hits in my mind.

Dress You Up was the last song to be written for LAV by other writers so it might be that one you're thinking of?

Every Madonna fan likes different albums and songs. It doesn't make you right or wrong. American Life is my favorite album, but I can't totally understand if a fan doesn't like it. It's called an opinion!

Having said that, I've never been a fan of LAV or TB. They are good albums and I can appreciate some of the tracks, but it's all too bubblegum pop for me.

The standout tracks on those albums for me are Angel, Dress You Up, La Isla Bonita, Where's The Party, and that's about it.

Madonna and Steve Bray wrote Angel. Another great example of Madonna's wonderful song-writing ability.

Oh, flop fan, hahahaha. Sorry. And yes, i was thinking about Dress You Up.

Last weekend i sang Angel to my babe, who is not very fond of Madonna to be fair. But i love Angel because it's just what you feel when you are in love!!!!

do we know if the mix of 'Like A Virgin' on the upcoming Chic Organization album is the unreleased Nile Rodgers mix? that would be quite good if it was!

The album is already out and Madonna isn't on it unless there is another version due. It's just Chic, Sister Sledge, Norma Wright and Sheila B Devotion.

The album is already out and Madonna isn't on it unless there is another version due. It's just Chic, Sister Sledge, Norma Wright and Sheila B Devotion.

There's a 'Disco Edition' released on October 28th which has 'Madonna - Like A Virgin [12" Version]' on disc 2.

There's a 'Disco Edition' released on October 28th which has 'Madonna - Like A Virgin [12" Version]' on disc 2.

OMG. I've always wanted to hear that.