Madonna, Davies up for Songwriters Hall of Fame- UPDATE- M Not Inducted This Year

lasky

Looking at that list I will go with Sade and the boys from Led Zepplin to win, as they would be the " darlings " of that world. Cat Stevens a close third if Sade is disqualified for being a bitch.

Guest bluejean

Madonna is a great songwriter. I'm not sure she deserves this award though, when I think truly truly gifted songwriters I think of people that compose the music, work on the arrangements etc. (eg Prince.) But I don't really know much about the award, who has won previously and what the criteria is. It IS nice to see her recognized for songwriting because she does deserve more recognition than she gets and her contribution is far from minimal.

As for singing, that age old discussion is so tiresome. I love Madonna's voice. There is a realness to her voice, an emotional depth that most singers cannot match no matter how good they are technically. Even the Celine and Whitney types, they are powerful sounding and sound amazing but I don't feel the emotion from them that you get from Madonna, Adele, Cyndi Lauper and others. I think that's the difference between people who write their own lyrics and people that don't. They've really lived what they are singing.

This should sum up much of what we have been discussing (posted in a seperate thread but relevant to this topic):

Does Madonna write her own songs? Yes, and no. She doesn’t write the music, that’s for sure. And now that Ms. Ciccone has been put up for induction in the Songwriters Hall of Fame, I thought it might be interesting to settle the question after all.

Last night I chatted with Patrick Leonard, the great composer of pop hits and sometimes even a ghost writer and ‘enabler’ for rock stars who need help getting their work onto paper. Leonard is a trained musician who can play anything at the drop of a hat. On the phone, from Amsterdam, where he’s working with Leonard Cohen, Patrick played “Like a Prayer” for me in different sections. He wrote the music for that hit, as he did for many of Madonna’s big hits during her top of the chart heyday.

Patrick Leonard wrote the music for, among others: “Like a Prayer,” “Cherish,” “True Blue,” “Live to Tell,” “La Isla Bonita,” “Frozen,” “Hanky Panky,” “Sky Fits Heaven,” “Nothing Really Matters,” “I’ll Remember,” and “Something to Remember.” He was a producer on “Open Your Heart.”

Madonna wrote the lyrics, Leonard says, with him, and helped create the melodies. He considers her a friend and mentor. “She put me on the map,” he says, “I’m grateful.”

“I’m one of those people behind the curtain.” Leonard says. “If she [Madonna] hadn’t sung those songs, no one would have heard them. She’s made it possible for me to do what I’m doing now.”

Their process was simple. He wrote the music, and brought it to Madonna. She would help supply lyrics and offer changes in the music to suit her. “She’d refine it,” he says. “You give her a track, she sings the melody. She’s very very talented.” Of their collaboration, he says, “One doesn’t exist without the other. She always showed up and she was always completely involved. I miss her, actually.”

They haven’t written together since 1997. Would he like to do it again? “Absolutely,” Leonard says. “She writes a lot with deejays now.”

Leonard is credited on all the songs he wrote with Madonna. They include the largest number of chart hits on which she is credited as co-writer. There are no songs that are credited just to Madonna. And a clutch of them were written solely by others including “Holiday,” “Like a Virgin,” “Material Girl,” and “Borderline.”

Leonard told me he didn’t care if Madonna goes into the Songwriters Hall of Fame without him. He doesn’t believe in awards. He doesn’t even hang his gold records. “They’re all in a closet somewhere,” he said. He just believes in moving forward. This week he comes to New York to work with Roger Waters.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2013/10/11/madonna-writer-of-her-songs-explains-how-like-a-prayer-other-hits-were-composed

Not at all. this is roger friedman's clever editing so the reader almost cant distinguish the pat and roger quote. even you thought that earlier if Im not mistaken.

Does Madonna write her own songs? Yes, and no. She doesn’t write the music, that’s for sure.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2013/10/11/madonna-writer-of-her-songs-explains-how-like-a-prayer-other-hits-were-composed

First: no that Friedman hater again. I really wonder at what point editors in chief realize that certain staff member have (for whatever reason) a problem with Madonna. And Roger Friedman is the worst of them. Those people should not write articles about the artists in question because they always turn out unfair and manipulative (like the abve) that it might even qualify as a lie. But since it's an open secret in the media world that negative articles of Madonna guarantee clicks and readers and therefore make some nice money from advertising they are more than willing to throw ethics over board.

Back to that sentence: What's so sure? Even in the article Pat Leonard says she is very much involved in the production. Which of course includes the muscial production. And I think it was him or another of her co-writers who said that in many cases it was actually her who came up with the hook line or melody that made many of her hits instantly recognizable and the iconic songs that they are today. Just because she prefers a collaborative workstyle, why does that mean she is not capable on the muscial part. The truth is she has a broad understanding of music of all kinds. Even on the technical side. Wasn't it Sandra Crouch who said that she was just a tiny bit off key during the LAP recordings and it was Madonna who instantly realized it and made her aware of that, and how much she was impressed by that, from a technical point of view.

How about jump your ass for hours on stage every night at 55 and sing your songs 100% live crystal clear CD quality, good luck with that, moron.

so you are saying she jumps all night at concert as an excuse to avoid singing? a concert is supposed to be about the music. not physical tricks and smoke and mirrors like the circus.

so you are saying she jumps all night at concert as an excuse to avoid singing? a concert is supposed to be about the music. not physical tricks and smoke and mirrors like the circus.

Madonna is an entertainer who sings not a singer who entertains. If I go see Celine, bitch better sing every note live. If I'm going to see Madonna, I'm going for the show not vocal acrobatics. With that said, she doesn't "avoid singing", most of her performances are live. It's not like she's up on stage lip synching her ballads.

Madonna is an entertainer who sings not a singer who entertains.

I don't agree with this. I love Madonna's voice and it's a huge part of why I love her so much. Highly underrated.

Oh fuck off you miserable cunt.

Will someone flush this little monster?

You must have her confused with someone else. Madonna sang beautifully the night I saw her. Physical tricks as in someone who can actually dance? Madonna pushes herself to perform In her shows and actually finishes what she starts without whining or lame excuses.

Madonna's voice is one of the reasons I love her as well. There's something comforting about it.

I don't agree with this. I love Madonna's voice and it's a huge part of why I love her so much. Highly underrated.

I agree with what you said. The phrase 'entertainer who sings not a singer who entertains' discredits the fact that she's talented at a range of things. Who's That Girl Tour is a good example of Madonna being entertaining with just her voice and dancing with minimal props/special effects. The phrase has never made sense to me anyways.

Edited by VeronicaElectronica

Madonna is a wonderful singer. I find her vocals a lot more interesting, sentimental and very feminine compared to most women who are seen as "better" singers. women like christina, tina, and barbra could never bring what M brought us in 'Live To Tell', 'Oh Father', 'Easy Ride', or even her cover 'Behind The Bars'. Same with Evita. So many female singers overdo it.

Madonna is a wonderful singer. I find her vocals a lot more interesting, sentimental and very feminine compared to most women who are seen as "better" singers. women like christina, tina, and barbra could never bring what M brought us in 'Live To Tell', 'Oh Father', 'Easy Ride', or even her cover 'Behind The Bars'. Same with Evita. So many female singers overdo it.

Couldn't agree more.

Me too! I love her voice personally and like others have said, I find it comforting and unique. In terms of her shows though, I don't think JUST her voice has ever been the focal point. It's about the whole production and overall message she's trying to convey. Meaning, she doesn't put on shows JUST so we can go and watch her belt out her hits in an evening gown, so if she feels a performance will be better executed by her lip synching the song, then she will do it.....and I think most of her fans are ok with this. She's not Britney Spears who lips every single thing she does....ballads and all. I feel like Madonna has proven she can sing many many MANY times over the years. There is not one single tour of hers where every song is lipped.....or even the majority of songs.....she pretty much always sings.

THIS

I HATE those divas night show where those bitches screaming on top of their lungs trying to outsing everyone else. :manson:

• 3 months later...

Key songs in the Madonna catalog include: * Everybody * Into The Groove * Like A Prayer * Lucky Star * Vogue

mmmkay?

Key songs include:

Think of Me

Thief of Hearts

Can't Stop

Vogue

Express Yourself

Into the Groove

Cherish

Live to Tell

Shoo bee doo

Girl Gone Wild

• 2 weeks later...

No Madge this year- Ray Davies and Donovan are the two performer inductees.

As for "Don't Tell Me"- it apparently had a different sound in its original form. Are melody and sound not an important part of the process?